OK what the latest? Blow in or Suck out CPU cooler

Lt. Dan

Limp Gawd
Been gone a while and just built another box. What is the general consensus. I generally use a Thermalright XP90 or 120.

I would think this depends on the orientation of the other fans in your case....

i dont know jack but just from a common sense standpoint id say its probably closer to the rear exit fan right? therefore putting the fan on the front side of the cpu heat sink, blowing air through, would put it more evenly in the middle between the intake and exhaust fans and be most efficient. thats how i see it anyway.

Common sense usually directs you to at least google the heatsink in question before commenting unhelpfully (the XP has the fan facing the mobo).

Fan out will cause warmer air from the motherboard to pass through the cpu heatsink, increasing the temperature, but cooling the motherboard more... and vice versa. If you are using a motherboard with a hot northbridge, this method is probably better but otherwise blowing towards the motherboard is better.

oh sorry i saw thermalright and 90 and thought "ultra." probably cuz thats all ive been hearing about lately. my bad. i hope you didnt take my advice and install the fan on the side. :)

the fundamentals haven't changed. In on the cpu, high fans out, low fan in. front/in and back/out.

Back