Ok to stack drives?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
for testing purposes do you think it is ok to stack hdd's like I have in the pics below?

pykMq.jpg

I know possible heating problems? but just to test stuff out for maybe 1-2 hours at a time?

when you push your drink across the desk be sure not to push them onto the floor unless you are testing their drop ratings

this is the bottom of a caviar black. that green thingy is called a PCB. it carries voltages and shit. now, from your own picture there, see that metal top of the same drive? your PCB may be touching the metal of the drive underneath it if its slips around any. asking for probs imo, as it carries voltage!

2010-09-3023-42-00830.jpg

the drives are normall contoured in a way so that if you stack them like he is asking about the PCB isnt directly touching the top of the next drive. however you do have a point, they would be very close and you would certainly need to be careful that you dont knock one off and it contacts the metal case of the one below.

if they are only on for an hour at a time, heat shouldnt matter very much. i built a case once that had 4 HDs stacked in a small box one on top of the next. i put water cooled plates between two of them to remove the heat.

If you are intending to do some performance validation, don't expect the result to be reliable as vibrations will pass on to all drives from one another...

Sometimes I do this and put a piece of cardboard between them JUST to protect the pcb from the metal underneath.

I have done this in the past without any issue however when testing 12 drives in 2 SAS controllers I started stacking but then decided it would be best not to do that..

I've found that stacking them that way causes the drive on the bottom to overheat quite a bit. I rather put them on their side with a little space between them. As long as you're careful around them, they're quite stable and will run much cooler.

Sometimes I do this and put a piece of cardboard between them JUST to protect the pcb from the metal underneath.
Yeah...you have to put something between them or the bottom drive will short out the top one. But I do it all the time with some cardboard or even folded paper between them.

What's the old saying... if you don't have time to do it right, will you have time to do it again? Sort of applies here. Don't. Heat and short-circuits come to mind. Then there's the "oops, I bumped the drives" problems. Come up with a more reliable setup. One that doesn't straight out invite disaster.

Back