OK to install programs to SD card?

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put a 64gb C300 in my UL50-VT laptop, but I know it is not going to be enough for all my programs and storage. I tried taking out the optical drive, but it seems too skinny and really propietary to stick a hard drive in there.

If I bought a 32gb or 64gb SD card can I leave it in my laptop and use it for storage, and maybe even programs? Are the read write speeds any slower than a 5400rpm HDD?

Thanks.

OK, thought its worth a try. What about the extension-card slot, aren't there any storage solutions?

I used a Transcend 32 GB SD card at some stage, but it's more fragile than a SSD or USB stick in my experience. I had to reformat it once, and lost it altogether after a while.
Why did you choose a 64 GB SSD in the first place if you knew it was not enough? High capacity SD cards are bloody expensive too.

I used a Transcend 32 GB SD card at some stage, but it's more fragile than a SSD or USB stick in my experience. I had to reformat it once, and lost it altogether after a while.
Why did you choose a 64 GB SSD in the first place if you knew it was not enough? High capacity SD cards are bloody expensive too.

It was in my desktop but then I couldn't resist a 90gb OCZ 3.5" drive that went on sale at newegg, so the C300 wasn't being used, and I was getting to the point I couldn't stand the HDD on my laptop after having a SSD on my desktop.

Haha, I'm still a SSD virgin, I thought the first 32 GB SSDs were a joke, the 64 GB, well, a bigger joke, I'll definitely have a SSD or 2 in my next rig later this year, but I won't consider anything below 120 GB.

Haha, I'm still a SSD virgin, I thought the first 32 GB SSDs were a joke, the 64 GB, well, a bigger joke, I'll definitely have a SSD or 2 in my next rig later this year, but I won't consider anything below 120 GB.

How could a 64gb be a bigger joke than the 32gb?

It was definitely enough for my desktop, but I just couldn't resist the 90gb vertex 2 for under $100... but I imagine it would even be enough for my laptop but I just want to be safe. I only really need to put office, adobe creative suite, net beans, visual studio, softimage, maya, and these drives have way more than enough room for all that and many more programs.

How could a 64gb be a bigger joke than the 32gb?
Because it's bigger in size. I was joking, Alex.

I only really need to put office, adobe creative suite, net beans, visual studio, softimage, maya, and these drives have way more than enough room for all that and many more programs.
Added emphasis on only. ^-^

Added emphasis on only. ^-^

I would put the emphasis on many. Word, excel, powerpoint, outlook, onenote, publisher, access, Visio, Dreamweaver, flash, photoshop, indesign, after affects, illustrator, sony vegas, net beans, visual studio, softimage, maya, messiah studio, UDK, unity, source SDK, and many more. That's not including all the small stuff like Firefox, winrar, utilities, etc.... I can't imagine someone having many more programs than I do, unless you want to try to fit all your games on the SSD, but I've tested many games from BFBC2 to a few RTS games, and none of them load noticeably faster on the SSD.

Hell if you can resist you should hold off as long as you can, prices are going to just get cheaper. For me, I can't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. The difference in speed is unreal and I get really frustrated using a HDD anymore.

Back