OK to hook up card (5870) with same power cable for both connectors?

artichoke

n00b
Is it OK to use the same cable for both 6-pin power connectors on my 5870? Or is it better to use two separate cables coming from the power supply, one for each connector?

It sort of seems to defeat the purpose to use the same cable for both connectors, in case the PS is limited on the amps it can send in a single cable. But it's no more total power than if I used separate cables, and it would look cleaner.

Thanks.

Not a good idea, it depends on your power supply, but usually they tend to divide the amps on each cable, so if you try to take it from a single cable you will overload it and it(the psu) won't even turn on.

Power supply is NZXT Hale82 650W. According to a review it's based on a Seasonic design.

Anyway it sounds like it might be easier on the PS to divide it.

I've only got cables on hand with 2 connectors in series, which are each 6+2 pins. So if I run 2 such cables and only use one 6 pin connector from each, there will be a of extra cruft hanging down: a 2 pin, and the other 6+2, for each cable. Guess I could just cut the extra conductors off and get new cables if I need the extra pins later.

Since the power supply provides two 6+2 connectors in series, it is designed for both of them to be used. You would be OK with hooking them both up to the video card.

Back