Ok, this is a new one on me - what does it look like if a PSU is undersized?

Doward

[H]ard|Gawd
Raven RVZ-01, Asus B350-i, R1700X, 16GB Patriot DDR4-3400, 1080Ti, 500GB Evo 960 NVMe, with a 960GB SanDisk Ultra II for 'main storage', with a panasonic slot load BluRay burner.

Running a Nitrogen NT06Pro, with an NF-A12x15 PWM, mounted underneath as a 'pusher' up and out of the top of the case.

Also have a pair of Noctua NF-12 PWM Chromax on the bottom drawing air in (using a Y-connector to the Chassis Fan header) and blowing it up into the 1080Ti for a bit of extra cooling there.

Just finally getting around to loading up my Steam Library (and getting yelled at by Comcast for hitting that stupid 1TB 'monthly' limit, lmao) and I've started load testing things. I'm running into a strange issue. Everything's running fine, and after 30-45 minutes, the system cuts off. Completely. I have to pull the power cord and reset it to get the system to power back on.

I used HWInfo to log out what's going on with my temps and all. No throttling that I saw from the 1080Ti, pulled ~150W reported. Temps were ~65C on the GPU, and ~70C on the CPU (holding at 3.4 Ghz).

I'm wondering if maybe my PSU is undersized - It's a Silverstone ST55F-G (550w), which I thought would have been alright with this, but maybe not?

If it is suspected to be an undersized PSU, any recommendations for an SFX PSU that'll fit in the RVZ-01?

Wow, all week, and no response? Nobody's run a system on the ragged edge of their PSU and experienced something like this?

I'm thinking SX800-LTI will be the model I go with. Just hate to snag it and find out I was way off base.

Any response would be guesswork because a PSU shutdown does not tell you WHY it shut down.
Could be power-related - something inside the PSU maybe.
Could be temperature-related - something inside the PSU maybe.
Could be defective component inside the PSU causing intermittent issues.

Given that it takes > 20 minutes before system shut down, my bet is temperature inside the PSU. Something heats up over time and causes a shutdown.

Put a 120mm fan on the PSU directly so it blows air through it or pulls air out of it (depending on where you put it) and see if the system still shuts down.

Well, first things first - be CERTAIN of the PSU you think you have! Turns out I'm running an SST-ST45SF-G.

I must have put the 550w PSU in a different system at some point in the past (first world problems, right?)

I should be right around the 500w load rating with this system, so yeah, makes sense that a 450w won't stand up under load.

Any recommendations for an SFX 600+ watt PSU? I see the SX650-G from Silverstone might be about the biggest I can stuff into this system...

F*ck it, SX650G on the way. If nothing else, I built custom sized/sleeved cabling for all the power in the system, and sticking with Silverstone will hopefully let me reuse my custom cables!

Last edited:
Well, first things first - be CERTAIN of the PSU you think you have! Turns out I'm running an SST-ST45SF-G.

I must have put the 550w PSU in a different system at some point in the past (first world problems, right?)

I should be right around the 500w load rating with this system, so yeah, makes sense that a 450w won't stand up under load.

Any recommendations for an SFX 600+ watt PSU? I see the SX650-G from Silverstone might be about the biggest I can stuff into this system...

F*ck it, SX650G on the way. If nothing else, I built custom sized/sleeved cabling for all the power in the system, and sticking with Silverstone will hopefully let me reuse my custom cables!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151192

That and its variants are extremely good PSUs go up to any power requirements you'll need. Highly recommended by JohnnyGuru and the folks on his forum when I asked.

I ended up going the SX650G route, since they've updated it to use all Japanese caps, as well (though I'd like to see JohnnyGuru update that review with the latest SX650G version).

Strange, your link got sunk by my pi.hole - still, c/p into the address bar :) That's a compact ATX, not an SFX, so it wouldn't have worked for me anyway.

So far, an hour of Fallout4, without issue!

I had a similar issue when running 3x 8800gtx cards with a 750w PSU. Moved to 850 and problems went away.

THIS SeaSonic website will tell ya what PS wattage you need for your specific hardware (next time anyways)

Back