• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OK, Stupid question time. Let the beating begin.

Celsius

Gawd
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
723
I've been overclocking for a while and I understand how it works with the heat and cooling and hell, I've even built a 70 watt peltier cooling system.

Ok, here it is. Why is it that after I throw a new system together it takes weeks to get to the clock speed I want it at? Like the computer I'm on right now. its a 2.4 clocked to 3.0 right now. But just last week I was only able to clock it to 2.8 and anything above that and it would lock up. I was thinking that perhaps it has something to do with the thermal paste and while I have not read up on it as much as I should I'm seeking answers. I've always used Arctic Silver 3 and never had any problems.
 
Heatsink compounds take a while to cure and settle. Were you changing settings in the mean time?
 
Thermal paste will cure over the course of days, maybe a week, but that still won't make a large difference. A lot of people believe in the process of "burn in," or in other words, the idea that stressing your components like CPU and RAM over time will yield better overclocking results as they become less resistant to it. However thats still not widely accepted or undeniably proven, and the results aren't usually very drastic.
 
You should consider yourself lucky. Ever system that I have ever built (from pentium 75MHz to amd a64 3800+) has gotten less overclockable with the passing of time. So, consider me as an opponent of the burn-in concept.
 
Back
Top