ok, stacked processors?

yaric

Weaksauce
Ok, well i was talking to some girl the other day and she said she was building her own computer. So i recommended to her a couple of things like a core 2 duo and what not, and she looked at the specs and was like.. i'm going with AMD. So i proceeded to try to explain to her why the intel chip was better. She then told me about her "friend" that can stack AMD processors and/or put them in series and give you a cache of like.. 16 meg and all this crazy crap, and how he's been doing it for a long time. So my question is, wtf? Does this guy she knows work for intel? Is she full of crap?

I asked her if she wasn't sure he wasn't just running motherboards with multiple processors and she's like.. nooo, he's stuff is all jury rigged.

So, yeah, i've never really heard of such a thing.

Nevertheless, she supposidly ended up with a core 2 duo.

Ever play the game telephone? That's what's happening here. If you ask the guy directly chances are he was talking about something completely different.

slap her as [H]ard as you can. then take all of her computers away and cremate them. she is not worthy of them, and they are now tainted.

444 said:
Ever play the game telephone? That's what's happening here. If you ask the guy directly chances are he was talking about something completely different.

right on the money

^^ I agree with the above statements purplemonkey dishwasher.

^^^I agree with all of the above

He was probably talking about x2's or hyperthreading or something.

I disagree with the above, I think this magical guy who can do the impossible is trying to bone that girl, so he's fed her a line of BS to make her think that he's super smart.

My guess is he is talking about dualcore or something like that, I've never heard of stacked processors, and I am glad she ended up with the right CPU :p

Clearly he's talking about overdrive processors. He slapped one onto a 486/DX4 100mhz and brought it up to a screaming 107mhz :eek:

Slartibartfast said:
Clearly he's talking about overdrive processors. He slapped one onto a 486/DX4 100mhz and brought it up to a screaming 107mhz :eek:

I was thinking the same thing. Of course the last really cool overdrive processor was the Pentium II 333MHz overdrive CPU's that you could use to replace a Pentium Pro with.

lithium726 said:
Yeah, but overdrives were Intel chips... She wants the stackable AMD chips...

Well aside form the novelty of using any type of overdrive, I believe that this woman thinks that is a way to get performance boosts in a modern system from day one. At least that's what I understood from that first post.

tdg said:
I disagree with the above, I think this magical guy who can do the impossible is trying to bone that girl, so he's fed her a line of BS to make her think that he's super smart.

I agree with this statement.

I asked our AMD rep, he said unless they are stacked cores (which would have to have been created by AMD), it isn't possible.

Yea eather shes a fucking moron or he is...or its the Phone game...he might have been talking about building her a dual opteron 265 rig or something...with has nothing to do with anythinbg being stacked except the wallet that payed for it.

tdg said:

I am the guy she was talking to. You are correct. I was trying to bone the girl and fed her a line of BS. I love these dumb girls because they are usually stupid enough to go to bed with me.

Anyway, please wait a couple weeks to tell her about my lies, so I can continue to bang her for a little while.
Ribs1
bigballashotcalla

ribs1 said:
I am the guy she was talking to. You are correct. I was trying to bone the girl and fed her a line of BS. I love these dumb girls because they are usually stupid enough to go to bed with me.

Anyway, please wait a couple weeks to tell her about my lies, so I can continue to bang her for a little while.
Ribs1
bigballashotcalla

lol...

Don't listen to these chumps. I stack mine too.

These are from my HTPC. I removed the HSF to apply some more Arctic Platinum 69®
This thing flies with my stacked CPU RAID system.

Here are my processor specs:
1x - AMD Athlon XP 2100 (Primary and lead CPU)
24x - Intel Celeron 800MHz
6x - Intel Celeron 500

That is 23.87GHz of pure 19000p UltraHD video processing power.

Ummmmm...want to see my hard drive baby?

icemochalatte said:
Don't listen to these chumps. I stack mine too.

These are from my HTPC. I removed the HSF to apply some more Arctic Platinum 69®
This thing flies with my stacked CPU RAID system.

Here are my processor specs:
1x - AMD Athlon XP 2100 (Primary and lead CPU)
24x - Intel Celeron 800MHz
6x - Intel Celeron 500

That is 23.87GHz of pure 19000p UltraHD video processing power.

Ummmmm...want to see my hard drive baby?

hahahahahaha!

Well i feel better now knowing that i wasn't just a complete idiot. I think i'm going to try to find this supposide guy that can work magic. If he can indeed stack processors as i was told, i'm going to call AMD and tell them they have a new lead engineer...

^^ i poo with the above dishwasher statements purple monkey.

TheLordsServant said:
My guess is he is talking about dualcore or something like that, I've never heard of stacked processors, and I am glad she ended up with the right CPU :p

... the right CPU?

sorry not to be a !!!!!! but an X2 3800+ for $150? thats the right CPU for me ill tell you what.

i loved telephone. it was like "dish" as it got to me, and id say to the next person "snowboarding"

yeah. i ended up in the same situation with a friend, he ended up argueing with me over how he was right, people dont seem to understand, computer technitions generally know more then they do about computers :\ so i gave up. but he said he could put multiple graphics cards on his mainboard. i said sure in SLI/Crossfire/that-new-thing-that-was-show-cased-at-computex-that-has-two-S3-cards-running-together. but those have some pretty heafty requirements --which i knew for a fact he didnt have... unless dell suddenly started sticking $200 3rd-party mainboards in a $300 computer.

but no, no stacking of processers.

course 4X4 is almost here, sos kentsfeild so its whichever you want. i suspect they'll perform nearly identcially as they both are two dualcore procs. thats right, kentfeild is two cores on one die, and two more on another.

No, i don't think he hit it, lol.

The kentsfield isn't what i'm looking forward to; I'm looking forward to the clovertown and the dual xeon motherboards... 8 procs... mmmm!

While we're on the topic.....

hmmmm would peni, be the singular form of penis?

duby229 said:
While we're on the topic.....

hmmmm would peni, be the singular form of penis?

You got that BackWards < LOL!!!

Penii is the PLURAL form of penis

Just like virii is the plural of virus or radii is the plural of radius

BTW - do you have any issues that we need to know about. I mean most guys only have to think about 1 penis - theirs. Thinking about multiple cocks could mean you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle choice.

(j/k) LOL!

rodsfree said:
You got that BackWards < LOL!!!

Just like virii is the plural of virus or radii is the plural of radius

BTW - do you have any issues that we need to know about. I mean most guys only have to think about 1 penis - theirs. Thinking about multiple cocks could mean you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle choice.

(j/k) LOL!

LOL
:D

What the hell!! I thought s denotes plurality? Where the hell did this double i crap come from!?

You know if English was a programming language, it'd be over.We'd all be doomed in our chosen field.

Anyhow I would like to build me a stackable opteron system so that I can have penii in my case :D e-penii :D

you can add milti video cards in non sli.. or non crossfire. you can add an agp with a pci, or agp and 2 pci or 2 pci... drivers are another question.

Charlie Hustle said:
My question is did the stacked dude hit it?
You need to shorten your sig, buddy. 10lines max.

you can add milti video cards in non sli.. or non crossfire. you can add an agp with a pci, or agp and 2 pci or 2 pci... drivers are another question.
...point?

or is it like deer, where it is its own plural?

IE: look at that deer
look at those deer

what i want to know is what is a group of penis called
a gaggle of geese?
a murder of crows?

heh a murder of penis

thats a scary though...

just so you guys know, stacked processors used to be a common thing back in the 286 days, when the processors where prom style chips with legs, they would stack the chips to fix faulty processors ( i heard it used to give a speed boost aswell, but i dont really see how) at the time you could stack the ram chips as well... but the desgine of modern day processors wont allow you to (for obvious reasons) however, i suppose if you made an extreamly complicated substraight you could sit 2 processors next to each other on the same socket, im willing to bet it would cause issues however.

thore said:
just so you guys know, stacked processors used to be a common thing back in the 286 days, when the processors where prom style chips with legs,

False on both counts. It wasn't common. And the 80286 wasn't a DIP package (which is what I assume you mean by "PROM-style chip"); it was made in CLCC, CPGA, and PLCC pacakges, which would be impossible to stack. Never DIP.

thore said:
they would stack the chips to fix faulty processors ( i heard it used to give a speed boost aswell, but i dont really see how)
Faulty processors were fixed by replacing them. Where did you hear that it gave a speed boost?

thore said:
at the time you could stack the ram chips as well...
Sure. You'd have to bend the CS or OE pin out on the top pin, then wire-wrap it to the appropriate bank select signal on the motherboard. On modern systems, that's nearly impossible to do. And again, these were DIP packages; as soon as SIMMs came available, it became pretty difficult to pull this stunt off.

is it just me or does a girl that actually is interested in cores / processors seem like one that would be unattractive, homely, and possibly have bad breath?

stormshadow said:
is it just me or does a girl that actually is interested in cores / processors seem like one that would be unattractive, homely, and possibly have bad breath?

I've been a computer technician for 10 years, and I have only seen ONE attractive computer technician. She's a good friend of mine and I have almost NEVER known her to be single.

I've seen a few female IT/computer tech/software programer/ chicks and they are always pretty ugly/fat and just plain unattractive.

Dan_D said:
I've been a computer technician for 10 years, and I have only seen ONE attractive computer technician. She's a good friend of mine and I have almost NEVER known her to be single.

I've seen a few female IT/computer tech/software programer/ chicks and they are always pretty ugly/fat and just plain unattractive.

Not true man, you shuld come over here. There arent nearly as many women as men, but prolly 20%. Most of them are smarter then me. I think girls have a longer attention span or something.

Ms dana hmmmm tasty.

Back