ok now what do i do with this stuff? Advice?

no_control

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
1,429
Ok I just bought this system for $500 What do i do with it? I've never water cooled before.

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe mobo AI Lifestyle Gaming Edition.
AMD Opteron 170 This processor was tested Prime95 Stable at 2.9GHz on AIR.
Corsair's XMS Series TWINX2048-4000PT.
Enermax Liberty 620Watts
X-Fi sound card.



He also threw in all of these H20 tidbits. I have no idea if they are considered good/bad/ugly I have no clue if it's compatible with the Hardware above.

(2) Swiftech Watercooling Blocks (MCW55) for the GPU and one Storm Waterblock for the CPU in addition a Swiftech Drive Bay Pump and Resevoir Kit. A Koolance PC3-426BK Liquid Cooled Case. This pc case is basically a Lian Li PC60 Aluminum PC case modified to accomodate a top mounted Koolance Water Cooling Unit.

I'd like to upgrade my current air rig with some of the above parts but I'm looking for a little guidence from experianced WC guys. What should I replace, use and get rid of?

Current rig:
Lian Li PC-60 slightly modded for air cooling
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.55
2x 1gb A-data vitesta ram
DFI Ultra-D
Hiper 520w PSU
eVGA 7800GTX KO
X-Fi sound card.
XP-120 HSF

Thanks for the input.
 
Wow, you got a helluva deal there. That watercooling gear will fit all of those parts and that opte 170, on water may hit 3.0. How did you get such a great deal? That case alone is probably worth $500.
 
Guy was hurting for money. I didn't really need it but since it was such a good deal I bit.

So anyone ever use any of this stuff? Is it good bad? hellooooo....
 
all of the stuff is awesome. look in my sig, you have a buncha the same/similar/substitue parts. seriously tho i'd want that 170, you cna have my 146! :p

what you should do now is start reading the stickies abotu watercooling, to learn about putting it all together, or simply build up the machine, its good, and sell the wc parts... or go at your own pace. better safe than sorry.

(subliminal msg - i want the 170)
 
Not selling the 170 that and the ram are the main reasons i bought this stuff.

I'm an architect and build race cars & high end PC for friends and family. I think i can figure out the basics of a WC setup. I'll check the stickies for info thanks!

My main concern was if these were quality parts or not.

Any suggestion on what I should add or do for the build?

I was thinking of rebuilding all of my PC like this:

Game Rig
Koolance PC3-426BK w/ all of the h2o stuff
Opty 170 @ 3.0+
DFI Ultra D
Corsair XMS RAM
Enermax 620w PSUeVGA 7800GTX KO
X-Fi sound card.

Work/Main Rig
Lian Li PC-60 slightly modded for air cooling
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.55
XP-120 HSF
2x 1gb A-data vitesta ram
Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe
Hiper 520w PSU
eVGA 7900GT
X-Fi sound card.
 
thats looking like a good idea. yep you have the main parts peeps would use to get themselves all cooled up. shoot i'd leave the opty on the asus board for hte game rig if i were you, unless of course you love that dfi (cant say id blame you but hte asus board you got is newer/maybe better).

the storm block is the top block, and is always out of stock, so kinda rare in that most peeps want one have to buy it used. rumor has it swiftie is being lazy since they can sell the apogeee like hotcakes and have much better margins, but us WC folks LOVE that storm.

with all the money saved, see if you can find the cheapest second card (ie between a match for your 7800gtx or the proposd 7900) and go sli if you want. you already have the 2 gfx card blocks. even tho i got a buddy wiht that koolance kit and he loved it for just cooling his cpu and leaving his gfx cards on air.

now the last interesting thing is that you got the swiftie 3/8" pump/bay kit. but the same pump etc should be built into the top of the koolance rig. so it seems you will have parts left over.

oh and i dunno if you were given tubing but go find yourself some tygon 3/8" tubing mr.
 
Well since I have the second pump and res...I was thinking of running the CPU thru the Koolance and the GPU through the swiftech with a second 120 res.

So each would have it's own loop.

Is there a downside to this is the extra cooling worht it or should I just sell it off. :confused:
 
Back
Top