Ok, I'm n00b with wireless, where to start now?

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

I've been away from the enthusiast/gaming PC scene lately and I've built my first HTPC in the meantime. So, I now wish to have that HTPC in my living room (duh..) but my cable modem is in the basement. So, I thought that a wireless router and a wireless card would do the trick. But the more I search about wireless technology, the more I am confused; there are router, print servers, media extenders, access points, blah blah blah. Wouldn't a wireless router do just all that? I know that B, G & N are wireless standards and that N is the fastest but other than that :confused:

I mainly want to have internet access upstairs but I do also want to think about future needs (wireless printer). I would like to add a wireless printer and a NAS device in the future to feed all PC in the house. So, if I end up buying the first wireless router I see at staples, it might not be what I actually needs.

Wireless routers are cheap now so I don't mind buying the best (well, within reasons). I've look at linksys products and they seem nice. There are so many models that it is hard to pick one up and make sure I do get the one that will do it all. There are some models with multiples antenna.. oh well..

What should I look at?

Thanks

Serge

I don't have a lot of experience, but I just set up wireless at home using a Linksys WRT54GL. I loaded Tomato firmware onto it. It has been fast, reliable, and easy to set up.

Thanks for the link. Ultimately, I wish to wire the whole house but to be able to do that, I'll have to open up all the ceilings so I am waiting to renovate the basement before doing that.

I'll look into that thread, that should occupy me a while.

Serge

Back