Ok I'm confused (Temps and Tjmax for Q6600 B3)

Hecktec

Limp Gawd
Let me first say that my B3 Q6600 is overclocked to 2.8 (vcore is at 1.275) and I'm using a CoolerMaster Hyper 2ler.%0ooler.

For the last few months I monitored my temps using an older Core Temp version, which defaulted my B3 Q6600 Tjmax to 100C. My idle temps were around 45-55 for all cores, which was a bit high but I thought it's summer and with no AC in my room, it could be actually that high.

Anyway, I just downloaded the latest Core Temp version. This time it has set my Tjmax to 85C, effectively lowering my temps by 15 degrees. While this is good news, I'm not sure what to believe.

Here is a screenshot posted by someone else having the same issue on the overclockers.co.uk forums:

(Notice the different core readings in each program)

tempst.jpg

Any ideas?

the biggest problem is that no one really knows what the tjmax is of these processors.. intel refuses to release that data.. but i know the 100C setting is wrong on the 65nm chips.. i think its suppose to be 90-95C but it could even be 85C no one really knows.. i know the programmers for realtemp do a lot of work to test processors to try and find the tjmax..

I just downloaded RealTemp and it has a tjmax of 90C, which does in fact seem to be the most accurate for my processor. (58-63C along all cores running prime95)

It's a bit of a relief really. I always just accepted the fact that my B3 runs so damn hot, even when using a relatively low vcore and a good cooler. Maybe now I can push my OC further.

unclewebb did some testing IIRC and found that a Tjmax of 90C gives the most accurate temps for B3 chips. Honestly though, as long as you're far enough away from the Tjmax temperature, it doesn't really matter what the precise number is. You've still got plenty of headroom with your CPU.

unclewebb did some testing IIRC and found that a Tjmax of 90C gives the most accurate temps for B3 chips. Honestly though, as long as you're far enough away from the Tjmax temperature, it doesn't really matter what the precise number is. You've still got plenty of headroom with your CPU.

According to a spec sheet I've seen it is 80c for a B3 and 90c for the G0 revision. This may or may not be correct, but you're quite right that the distance to this value is what matters.

I've always thought it was 100C, but my B3 Q6600 3.0GHz (430x7) 1.35V is idling in the high 20s assuming it's 90C with no speedstep. It wouldn't break 60C under full load either, and this is just a Tuniq Tower.

Back