Oil cooled PC

AtomicMoose

[H]F Junkie
....Search is disabled.....

Does anyone have the link to the guys that posted his oil cooled PC here a while back?

Thanks.

AggieMEEN, I saw those too....not what I was looking for.

This pic was posted here at the [H] some time ago and the kid built a custom plexi case for it.

Ring any bells?

I think it slows up the site, thats why i've seen it done in other places anyways. Sounds pretty interesting though, the oil cooling.

Originally posted by Thatonen00b
I think it slows up the site, thats why i've seen it done in other places anyways. Sounds pretty interesting though, the oil cooling.
Miskept databases slow up sites....

Oil cooling rocks. I want to try it for sure.

it looks cool, and would get some serious attention at a lan party... but 2 messy to clean up what if you wanna take something out or something...pain in the ass to clean off oil

and very heavy.. And leaky if you forgot that the power & sata-cables them self arent airtight :D

if you plan on lugging a computer filled with mineral oil around to a lan party....best of luck to you :)

what was the liquid that ive seen this done before in? it was showcased on the screen savers. i remember it was clear and the cpu die made the liquid boil that was right above it. i think they had ice cooling the liquid. which was before this guy in the first link who said he was the first...
Originally posted by AggieMEEN
Did a google search under the terms "oil cooled PC"

Found this,, and this.

Total immersion cooling seems to be what this is.

Originally posted by jwill
what was the liquid that ive seen this done before in? it was showcased on the screen savers. i remember it was clear and the cpu die made the liquid boil that was right above it....

I saw a demonstration of a liquid that was called (I think) "liquid CFC" on a show back in the early 90s. They had a big tank of the stuff, and the lady host dunked a live monitor into the stuff with no ill effects.

There's Fluorinert, which, if I remember right, is very expensive.

Originally posted by jwill
what was the liquid that ive seen this done before in? it was showcased on the screen savers. i remember it was clear and the cpu die made the liquid boil that was right above it. i think they had ice cooling the liquid. which was before this guy in the first link who said he was the first...

They used HFE (HydroFluroEther) and it is quite expensive and isnt the easiest to use either.. I believe it's made by 3M.

Those morons on The Screen Savers pretty much wasted the HFE they bought, they didnt OC worth a damn which was pretty disappointing. ;)

Originally posted by AggieMEEN
Did a google search under the terms "oil cooled PC"

Found this,, and this.

Total immersion cooling seems to be what this is.
yeah, I thought about doing this about three years ago, but I decided it would be too messy, and hard to avoid leaks.

I did try direct-die ice cooling though:D

...seem to have lost the pictures though:(

Back