OI and Napp-it Problems

artbird309

Weaksauce
I have had a AIO ESXi system running for about a year now, I haven't had much problems with it but I have found a problem that I think has been happening for a while and I still have not been able to fix.

My current system is running ESXi 5.5 Free running OI_151A8 in a VM with a M1015 passthrough with 8 drives attached in 1 pool and 2 vdevs, 3 nics running on VMXNET 3. Running Napp-it 0.9e1_preview Nov.03.2013 Free.

The main problems I am having is that whenever I restart OI I lose my DNS server settings, I do not lose anything that I know of just the DNS settings. This creates a lot of problems, my online backup can not connect, and the bigger problem is the server can't connect to my AD server so my other VM's and computer can not authenticate to the SMB shares and won't mount.

The second problem is that when I try to shutdown the system either from Napp-it or ESXi using the most current VMware Tools. The server does not shutdown it, it restarts. This has caused a few hard shutdown's before I found out what was happening.

I have tried to create a new BE and it didn't changed anything and I haven't found anything online like either issue. In the future I want to upgrade to OmniOS which I would think would fix the issues but I don't want to spend the time doing that right now.

Thanks,
ARTbird309

I have had issues with the vmware tools for opensolaris guests. Can't really help, sorry, but you are not alone - I seem to recall having the same restart vs shutdown issue. I gave up and switched to pc-bsd.

I have had a AIO ESXi system running for about a year now, I haven't had much problems with it but I have found a problem that I think has been happening for a while and I still have not been able to fix.

My current system is running ESXi 5.5 Free running OI_151A8 in a VM with a M1015 passthrough with 8 drives attached in 1 pool and 2 vdevs, 3 nics running on VMXNET 3. Running Napp-it 0.9e1_preview Nov.03.2013 Free.

The main problems I am having is that whenever I restart OI I lose my DNS server settings, I do not lose anything that I know of just the DNS settings. This creates a lot of problems, my online backup can not connect, and the bigger problem is the server can't connect to my AD server so my other VM's and computer can not authenticate to the SMB shares and won't mount.

The second problem is that when I try to shutdown the system either from Napp-it or ESXi using the most current VMware Tools. The server does not shutdown it, it restarts. This has caused a few hard shutdown's before I found out what was happening.

I have tried to create a new BE and it didn't changed anything and I haven't found anything online like either issue. In the future I want to upgrade to OmniOS which I would think would fix the issues but I don't want to spend the time doing that right now.

Thanks,
ARTbird309

DNS settings are stored in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf
Problems are mostly based on problems when you boot into an older boot environment or if you have made non persistant settings with ipadm or ifconfig that is no longer fully supported.

ex.
If you install napp-it or update OmniOS, the installer creates and activates a BE.
At this point you must reboot or all settings that you have done afterwards ar not valid on reboot

Reboot problems on Solaris are mostly based on problems around a fast reboot where all drivers must be resetted by the OS. This gives you a very fast reboot but works only on supported hardware (i.e. SUN/Oracle hardware).

On other hardware it may work or not. If not you need a manual reset after reboot, a full reboot with reboot -p or special service settings.
Google for Solaris fastboot or read the mailing lists like http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2013-November/014455.html

Last edited:
Thanks Gea,

I'll look into that, I saw you talking about BE's and settings not being saved so I changed the DNS setting then created a BE restarted and it still didn't save it.

I have started to have a lot of problems with ESXI and VM's on my local datastore so I have been working on that instead. I think my flash drive or HDD is dying so I am trying to replace them.

Back