Oh Noesssss!!! Is My X800 Toast?!?

p0tempkin

Limp Gawd
Okay, has anyone had this problem before?

Whenever I boot my computer, an error message pops up that I don't have the molex power connector plugged into the card. But I do have the molex plugged in, it's the same molex I've been using for the last month with the card without an issue. I switched to another molex and the same error message pops up.

It's not sensing the molex connector, but why?

Unless someone out there knows a way to fix it, it's getting exchanged for a new one.

Thanks!

well, if you feel comfortable using a multimeter unplug all the PSU connectors and check for correct voltage on the actual line itself(as even the all powerful MBM5 isnt ALWAYS correct :p) if you're already lost on me, then i would either RMA or return like you said.

GL HF ;)

is it gettin enough power ? do u have a lot of fans ? more than 1 hard drive ? if u do .. then d/c a harddrive and see how that goes ...

it might be because your psu is not strong enough ...

An update:

It was the card, not the computer. As I said, it was working fine in my system for a few weeks. But it was a Pro VIVO that I softmodded to an XT, and I think the unlocked pipelines failed on me.

I stumbled across a thread on another forum (B3D I think), and someone posted in one of the "Softmod" threads that their friend's X800 had the same failure with the same symptoms as mine. They chalked it up to failed pipelines, so I'll do the same.

Anyways, I returned it for another X800. And before you guys start yelling about my warranty being voided, I bought an extended service warranty from the place that sold me the card, that covered everything from accidental damage to product failure and everything inbetween.

I just had my X800XT PE do that to me.

Had to RMA the thing. By the time my card comes back, there will be something better/faster out. :mad:

B1zz said:
well, if you feel comfortable using a multimeter unplug all the PSU connectors and check for correct voltage on the actual line itself(as even the all powerful MBM5 isnt ALWAYS correct :p) if you're already lost on me, then i would either RMA or return like you said.

GL HF ;)
Change that to almost never correct. I'm idling at what is apparently, 23°C. Sometimes, I'm idling about about 34°C; but neither reading is close to the actual ~44°C.

MrSatan said:
Oh well the X800 is garbage anyways. The 6 series whoops all over ATI.

Might wanna get your name changed to mr-tard. :rolleyes:

I can't say I don't like the x800 series. Well, only one card. And that x800xtpe... then again, from nVidia's side I only like 6800U.

I had that happen back in june, the 3rd day I had the card. I unplugged the molex from the card, used tweezers to gently squeeze each connector in the cord, and plugged it back in. No probs in 5 months. It also did it when I first installed the card, but I was still using the molex from my 9800 Pro.

FragMagnet said:
I had that happen back in june, the 3rd day I had the card. I unplugged the molex from the card, used tweezers to gently squeeze each connector in the cord, and plugged it back in. No probs in 5 months. It also did it when I first installed the card, but I was still using the molex from my 9800 Pro.

I tried using multiple molexes; I doubt all needed to be tweezed.

p0tempkin said:
I tried using multiple molexes; I doubt all needed to be tweezed.
Not saying it was the problem with your card, but I had the exact same prob. and that's how I fixed it. If there is multiple causes to the same prob. I might as well post it in the same thread. I'm not sure why it didn't work with the 9800 Pro's molex, I didn't check, just swapped to the purple one.

I've seen this problem with many different types of cards, I humbly suggest running a 'clean' molex (Clean meaning, an unused molex not sharred with any other device from the power supply) from the PSU to the power hungry Video card.

I realize you RMA-ed the card already, but use a clean molex to the new card if this problem happens again.

Silversink said:
I've seen this problem with many different types of cards, I humbly suggest running a 'clean' molex (Clean meaning, an unused molex not sharred with any other device from the power supply) from the PSU to the power hungry Video card.

I realize you RMA-ed the card already, but use a clean molex to the new card if this problem happens again.

I tried that to no avail.

BTW, you have a very similar setup to mine (but with nicer cooling). :)

Back