Oh Noes...

I just found the Coolermaster RC-690 here in Germany.... I'm stoked... only problem is I'd gotten my heart half set on an Antec P182...

Which cools better? Which is quieter? Opinions!? My geeked out little brain hurts now. :(

I can only compare the RC 690 to the Antec P180. My experience was that the RC 690 is louder than the Antec, but not obscenely so. The RC 690 runs MUCH cooler than my P180 and has a better cable management system.

I thoroughly enjoy the RC 690 more than my Antec.

Just my 2 cents...

CM 690 is a good case. For the price, I don't know if it can be beat. The 900 is close, but slightly more $$$.

I happily made the move from my SonataIII, which couldn't handle the heat of my X3210.

-bZj

For the price (at least in the USA) the Coolermaster RC-690 is an awesome case ;)

Yeah, the price difference is $55 US roughly... it'd be about 70 but I'd have to pay postage. :(

I dunno, I'm still leaning for the P182... except for one thing, I like having the two fan vents on the side, I can vent the hot GPU Air (I always am afraid of that shit) and I can have 4 fans blasting my CPU, plus one on the scythe. And nothing says a bay fan wouldn't be possible either....

I dunno... it's such a hard decision. But I find the P182 much sexier looking, so I'll probably go that way.

I like having the two fan vents on the side, I can vent the hot GPU Air (I always am afraid of that shit) and I can have 4 fans blasting my CPU, plus one on the scythe. And nothing says a bay fan wouldn't be possible either....

The first step on the road to recovery is realizing you have a problem. You.... are a fan addict..... and this is a hyper-thermal intervention. If I understand you correctly your talking about 7 fans (plus a possible bay fan?) not counting the ones built into your PSU and graphics card! The neighbors will be complaining about the noise and climate shift in your neighborhood. Do NOT piss off your German neighbors! :eek: I'm just saying, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

However, if you do go with the 690 and add fans to it, I suggest you start with the top section. Add a 120 up there and check your temps before you add anything else. The case already has a 120 exhaust in the back, a 120 intake on the door and front panel, so with that one more exhaust fan you should be fine. Plus the noise of the top fan will be partially muffled by the case. Remember, you need airFLOW. How your air moves through your case is more important that how much.

Personally, I would go with the antec. I have had several antec cases and I think they are well worth the money. I do not have the antec 182 but from what I have read it has good airflow. Plus its a great case for a water cooled system if you decide to go that route sometime in the future. The Antec is the kind of case you keep when you do a new build, the CM 690, not so much.

yeah, I am addicted. I like my stuff cold. :)

And I am aware that flow is the most important. Tracing the path of the cold air through the machine and the hot air out is always important.

My tip: Burning incense near the intake gives you a pretty good idea... and smells nice.

That said, I will go with the Antec. But man that CM 690 would make cooling easy.

The first step on the road to recovery is realizing you have a problem. You.... are a fan addict..... and this is a hyper-thermal intervention. If I understand you correctly your talking about 7 fans (plus a possible bay fan?) not counting the ones built into your PSU and graphics card! The neighbors will be complaining about the noise and climate shift in your neighborhood. Do NOT piss off your German neighbors! :eek: I'm just saying, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

However, if you do go with the 690 and add fans to it, I suggest you start with the top section. Add a 120 up there and check your temps before you add anything else. The case already has a 120 exhaust in the back, a 120 intake on the door and front panel, so with that one more exhaust fan you should be fine. Plus the noise of the top fan will be partially muffled by the case. Remember, you need airFLOW. How your air moves through your case is more important that how much.

Personally, I would go with the antec. I have had several antec cases and I think they are well worth the money. I do not have the antec 182 but from what I have read it has good airflow. Plus its a great case for a water cooled system if you decide to go that route sometime in the future. The Antec is the kind of case you keep when you do a new build, the CM 690, not so much.
The stock CM690 fans are only 1200rpm jobs, and don't move a lot of air. If you don't want to just add fans, replacing those would net a significant flow improvement. I added some Yate's and some 2400rpm PWMs for the 'just in case' factor (they run around 1000rpm normally). Of course, I have fan controllers, so I get my quiet when I need it.

All told, my fan tally is high (bottom up, back-to-front):
1x120mm PWM intake (bottom);
2x80mm fans - Antec SP2-500;
1x120mm Yate Loon intake (front);
2x~60mm on Accelero S1 Turbo;
2x120mm Yate Loons on CM GeminII;
1x80x15mm exhaust under CPU socket (actually arriving tomorrow);
1x120mm CM exhaust (rear);
2x~40mm intakes on 2xCM CoolDrive6s;
1x120mm CM exhaust (top);
1x120mm PWM exhaust (top).
=====
14 fans.

Holy crap, that's a lot of fans. And I didn't use the 2x120mm openings on the side panel. I could get more in this bizzle! I am considering making the top fans intakes, but since my tower sits in a cubby-hole part of my desk, I am afraid it will bring in some of the exhausted air from the rear.

Compared to the server that moved into my SonataIII: 1x120mm intake, 1x92mm on a Tower112, 1x120mm exhaust, and 1x80mm in the 350W Basiq.

-bZj

Back