Oh Noes!! Twitter Down?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
There was a tremor in the Force this morning: Twitter was down for over 90 minutes and the world almost stopped turning. Thus is the power of Twitter.:D Twitter eventually recovered from the outage, but soon had more fluctuations in service.

Twitter replied to our query with scant info: “Recovering now. It was inaccessible for some users.

The degree of incompetence at Twitter is astounding.

Gonna disagree :rolleyes: While folks like to point the finger and say fail, I'm not sure they fully appreciate the amount of traffic they serve up. You'd be surprised at how complicated it all is behind the scenes.

Twitter down, Facebook down? Use that seldom used feature of the thing in your hand, it's called a phone...

I couldn't care less if Twitter and Facebook (and most social media) died and never came back.

Texting, emails and seeing people face to face is all I need.

Waaaaaaahhhhh /wrists No twats to chat with, what am I to dooooooo!

Ditto.

Wondered why I couldn't get my daily dose of 140 character news.

Gonna disagree :rolleyes: While folks like to point the finger and say fail, I'm not sure they fully appreciate the amount of traffic they serve up. You'd be surprised at how complicated it all is behind the scenes.
Amateurs (as in, not paid) running IRC servers have been handling much more users per server with much faster response times and better uptimes for 20+ years. Since Twitter's search is mostly broken and the history now a lot limited, they don't even bring more features. It's just that they are using the wrong technologies. And remember when they said Rails would scale? It's not that hard to handle pseudo-realtime 140 character messages, it's a shame they can't handle it given their enormous server budget. You should also see what they release as open-source, it's mostly consterning, usually hipsterish stuff that doesn't address the real problems.

Back