• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oh Noes! Another gaming headphone thread!

jnick

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
2,888
heh, Sorry, I couldn't resist.

However, I did do my research before making the thread. I currently have the BF2 headset that came with, well, BF2. Before that I had a CA AC-644, but the head phones died out.

So now I'm looking for my first pair of REAL headphones. I also know not to buy the headphone/mic combo, and just get a Lapel mic. That's no biggie.

However the headphone I want MUST go OVER the ear (non-SUPRA-canal I believe). I don't want the headphones that sit on your ear directly. While doing some research, It basically came down to:

Sennheiser HD497
Sennheiser HD201
Icemat Siberia

Then with continual searching, I heard Sennheiser is much better than the Icemat. If that's the case, kiss the siberias good-bye.

I was thinking the HD497s. How are those. Is there any sound improvement over the HD201? The HD497 DO go over the ear, correct? Are they comfortable while wearing them for extended periods of time?

Thanks all, hopefully I won't be flamed, as I tried to do my homework first :p.

On a side note, I'd prefer Open headphones, rather then closed.
 
The HD497s sit on the ears (at least they do on mine), but I have semi-large ears. The HD201's earcups are a bit bigger, but they are closed, not open.

Do you have a certain budget to work with?
 
Everything i've read, and heard with my own ears, has lead me to belive the 497's are about as good as it gets for around $40. But lately opininions have been rolling in about the hd201's claiming they're nearly as good, or better than the 497's.

As strid3r asked above, whats yer budget? An extra $20-$30 goes a long way here.
 
Doh! Sorry I didn't post that. My budget is around $50-60 since I have to buy two of them.

However, I desperately want something your ears go inside. My brother-in-law recieved the Bose headphones (noise-cancelation) and they were not only comfortable, but sounded excellent. I know Bose is a rip with prices, but I want something similar. Something that sounds good (I only have a 2.1 setup) and is comfy.

They DON'T have to be sennheiser, but I hear a lot of good things about them. They can be Sonym Koss, as long as they sound good, are open, and the ear fits inside of them.

Thanks,
 
i just purchased a hd-497 using information from my own thread that i posted earlier.. people in this forum basically told me that the HD-497s are a lot better than the HD-201's that i was planning to get, so i got the HD-497s
 
HD-497 it is then. Before I order them online, I'm going to stop at BB and CC to see if they have any Sennheiser in-store, as they do online.HD-497 weren't listed online, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Therefore, It'll probably be a week at most before I get them, if anyone has anything else to add . . . fell free.
 
Back
Top