Oh No! What did I do this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuBez

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2002
Messages
206
Ok, here goes.
I'm installing a new DVD writer I just ordered from Newegg. Now, I haven't fiddled with my mobo in years. I accidently attached the 4-pin sound cable from the new drive to the 4-pin JP2 connector (thinking it was the on-board sound) on the mobo.
My computer will no longer start up. Not a sign of life.
Was it my foolish mistake with the 4-pin or is it something else?
Any suggestions?
 
What's JP2 do on your board?

Unless there's power supplied there, it shouldn't be a problem... I don't think the sound out of the DVD drive has enough power to burn anything interesting out. You did remove the cable now, right?
 
I removed the cable the first time it failed to boot. I figured that was it. I think JP2 has something to do with the LAN on board. It won't boot now for anything. There was no smoke or sparks of any kind.
Do I need to replace the mainboard?
Thanks, Please respond.
 
JP2 is for onboard lan led connections which doesnt sound like it would fry your motherboard or so i think

did you try clearing the bios? (JP4)
 
It has been a really long time since I mess with anything. I moved away from home and all my shit is stuck back home.
How do I clear Bios if it won't start up? Just remove the Bios chip from the pins?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top