Oh No! What did I do this time?

TuBez

Limp Gawd
Ok, here goes.
I'm installing a new DVD writer I just ordered from Newegg. Now, I haven't fiddled with my mobo in years. I accidently attached the 4-pin sound cable from the new drive to the 4-pin JP2 connector (thinking it was the on-board sound) on the mobo.
My computer will no longer start up. Not a sign of life.
Was it my foolish mistake with the 4-pin or is it something else?
If so what was damaged exactly?

You did not say, but I assume you unpluged the cable and tried again right?

The JP2 on the K7S5A seems to be the LAN light indicator.

With Pin 1 = Link indicator, Pin 2 = VCC (+5V), Pin 3 = Ground, and Pin 4 = 10/100 indicator.

On the sound cable, it is normally pin 1 = left signal, pin 2 = ground, pin 3 = ground pin 4 = right signal OR pin 1 = left signal, pin 2 = ground, pin 3 = right signal, pin 4 = ground.

So you shorted VCC to Ground.. never a good idea. Did you get any sparks or let any magic smoke out when you tried to power up?

==>Lazn

Yeah, I disconnected it as soon as I noticed.
Tried it again, but no juice.
No smoke, or sparks.
Is it the mobo that is damaged or the CPU?
Thanks for your help. I've been out of the loop for a few years now, and I really need the help.

Well I would try makin sure all your jumpers are set correctly first (double check) also i noticed that you have a WD hard drive if the DVD ROM is on the same IDE cable make sure there is a jumper on the drive if u moved the Hard Drive to another cable take the jumper completly off the drive. Also make sure the cables are properlly oriented (double check). Lastly try clearing the CMOS (refer to motherboard manual if you don't know how to do it). Also are any of the fans spinning up? is the computer trin to POST? If there are no fans sounds like a PSU. If its trin to POST sounds like something is still not plugged in right and last if none of that works sounds like a beat mobo.

Yeah, I tried most of what you said when it first happened. It seems to get no power. The fans don't spin at all. My Mobo's manual is back home, and I don't have the tools here to check where the current stops. The IDE setup is IDE1: Both Hard Drives and IDE2: Two Media Drives.
Is there anyway of knowing for sure if the Mobo is beat?
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Lazn_Work said:
You did not say, but I assume you unpluged the cable and tried again right?

The JP2 on the K7S5A seems to be the LAN light indicator.

With Pin 1 = Link indicator, Pin 2 = VCC (+5V), Pin 3 = Ground, and Pin 4 = 10/100 indicator.

On the sound cable, it is normally pin 1 = left signal, pin 2 = ground, pin 3 = ground pin 4 = right signal OR pin 1 = left signal, pin 2 = ground, pin 3 = right signal, pin 4 = ground.

So you shorted VCC to Ground.. never a good idea. Did you get any sparks or let any magic smoke out when you tried to power up?

==>Lazn
Do you have a link handy that expounds on this? I just did an install and I'm sure I've crossed these wires somewhere but it still runs. Haven't ran audio from a CD yet.

Thanks.

TuBez said:
Is there anyway of knowing for sure if the Mobo is beat?

Remove everything not needed to get video out. So unplug all drives, remove all PCI cards, etc. Then see if you get to the BIOS (it will not boot without the drives, but you will still get a display, then a error about not boot drive) check for shorts (dropped screw behind MB etc)

If this doesn't work, clear the CMOS and try again.. then I would say after that, your best bet is a new MB. (ouch)

==>lazn

Thanks!!!
I just wanted to let you know that when I came home from work today I got it to run again. It was straight out of Frankenstein. I laid it on its side, bad-mouthed it a bit, and then pleaded forgiveness. I pressed the power button and all the fans started spinning. The Mobo had to be grounded to something. Once again thanks a ton!

Back