• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oh Man Which One!!

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
For my nephews birthday I am going to get him either a PS4 or Xbox One. He currently has a Xbox 360 as do 90% of his friends. He is 15 years old. His game of choice is NHL 14 and soon to be NHL 15. He is a die hard hockey fan. I know only 1 of his friends has a Xbox one. The rest still only have the Xbox 360. I love the way the PS4 looks compared to the Xbox One which I think is really ugly. But I'm sure my nephew could care less about looks. He also plays BF4 some mind craft etc. He does like to multiplay with his friends on these games, but again none of his friends have a new system yet anyway. I'm looking to see what would really look better on say NHL 15 the PS4 or Xbox One. I can get either system for about $400.


Thanks...
 
PS4 is more powerful than the XB1, but the average gamer will never know the difference nor care. But that is a reason to buy the PS4 over the XB1. I would say that, whenever buying a console buy it for 2 reasons.

1. Games
2. Where your friends are

Buying a console for where it's going to look slightly better is a good thing to do, but it shouldn't trump either of these. Can you ask him which he would prefer or does it have to be a surprise?

edit. Also, wait 2 weeks until after E3. Games will be announced, buy the console with the games he wants.
 
I would get him the Xbox One just to be on the safe side, it seems most kids in high school go the xbox route. (Almost all my friends in High School had an Xbox for Live)
 
Yeah what sucks is when I ask him what his friends have, its like 50% are going to get a PS4 and 50% are going to get a Xbox One. He has said all he cares about for sure is NHL 15 and which system will it look and play better on. I have asked him which one, and being the typical teenager he just shrugs his shoulders and says "I don't know what ever" real help their.....
 
Will the PS4 or Xbox One play MKV files or Xvid etc etc...
 
Just go with the ps4 if he wants best performance for nhl. I know that's where I'll be getting it on instead of on my Xbone
 
For my nephews birthday I am going to get him either a PS4 or Xbox One. He currently has a Xbox 360 as do 90% of his friends. He is 15 years old. His game of choice is NHL 14 and soon to be NHL 15. He is a die hard hockey fan. I know only 1 of his friends has a Xbox one. The rest still only have the Xbox 360. I love the way the PS4 looks compared to the Xbox One which I think is really ugly. But I'm sure my nephew could care less about looks. He also plays BF4 some mind craft etc. He does like to multiplay with his friends on these games, but again none of his friends have a new system yet anyway. I'm looking to see what would really look better on say NHL 15 the PS4 or Xbox One. I can get either system for about $400.


Thanks...

I would say xbox one since he uses xbox live already. But the fact that few of his friends would have it may not make it as enticing. I think it would be better to have one friend that has an xbox one to play with then no friends with a PS4.

I think you should just ask him what he would prefer.
 
Owning both I'd say go PS4 the new PS4 NOW backwards compatibility means he'll be able to play everything from the last couple gens making the catalog way more impressive than it already was initially.
 
So he has a 50/50 split among friends and wants the definitive version? It's a EA Sports title, they should always be the same on both since they are incredibly simple to render. There have been no differences yet between platforms.

Considering he already has Live I'd say just get a One. Or do what I do and ask. It's a large purchase and something he will be tied to for at least 5 years.
 
Not as exciting, but you could always get him a gift card and let him choose himself.

Or even better, take him to a store on his birthday and let him decide. Either way, you'll come out looking like a pretty cool uncle.
 
The Xbox One version of Fifa 14 has more players than the PS4 version but that might just be Fifa.
 
My personal choice would be the PS4 but to be honest I'm sure he will be ecstatic with either choice. Since he is young and already games on X360 the X1 may be the better choice.
 
PS4, kid or not, PS4 is the 'cool' console this time around. Some people will say that 360 folks will go buy an xbox one this time around, but sales already showt hats not the case. over 3 mil more ps4s have sold than xbox ones, and its outselling the xbox one by a margin greater than 2:1 worldwide. The gap is still increasing, not decreasing as some had projected. There will just be more folks on the PS4 to play.
 
PS4, kid or not, PS4 is the 'cool' console this time around. Some people will say that 360 folks will go buy an xbox one this time around, but sales already showt hats not the case. over 3 mil more ps4s have sold than xbox ones, and its outselling the xbox one by a margin greater than 2:1 worldwide. The gap is still increasing, not decreasing as some had projected. There will just be more folks on the PS4 to play.

I personally recommend the One over the 4 just because I have one. It plays great and Microsoft's is consistently updating the console with more features in what seems like all the time. Also, the Kinectless version has no even started selling yet and games on either system have not really been out in large numbers yet.

I am only one person who has only so much time to game in. What with work and competitive running, I wanted a system that could do more than gaming well. Also, the problem with having the "cool" or "in" thing is that eventually, it no longer is that. Now, getting a PS4 because he would enjoy it? Smart move but I also think he would enjoy the Xbox one.

Does he do competitive running? Running shoes are not cheap, just saying. :)
 
For my nephews birthday I am going to get him either a PS4 or Xbox One. He currently has a Xbox 360 as do 90% of his friends. He is 15 years old. His game of choice is NHL 14 and soon to be NHL 15. He is a die hard hockey fan. I know only 1 of his friends has a Xbox one. The rest still only have the Xbox 360. I love the way the PS4 looks compared to the Xbox One which I think is really ugly. But I'm sure my nephew could care less about looks. He also plays BF4 some mind craft etc. He does like to multiplay with his friends on these games, but again none of his friends have a new system yet anyway. I'm looking to see what would really look better on say NHL 15 the PS4 or Xbox One. I can get either system for about $400.


Thanks...

I own both consoles so I will drop my opinion.

#1. Try to find out what his friend are thinking of getting, maybe talk to their parents, buy that since being able to play with friends is top priority.

#2 Games. You mentioned NHL 15. That will always be multi-platform. Is he a huge fan of any MS exclusives?

If there truly is no preference from the above two, I'd recommend going for a PS4. It's a better gaming machine all around

PS4 has more power so most releases run a bit better on it. If NHL 15 is going to run better on any system, it'll be PS4. The install times for a PS4 are far less than the XO. If he is into baseball at all (since you mentioned sports games) the PS4 is the only one out with a baseball game.

The PS4 is outselling the XO pretty significantly. If this trend continues you're likely to see better third party support on the PS4 in the same manner that the 360 saw better support last gen.

Will the PS4 or Xbox One play MKV files or Xvid etc etc...

The media features of both consoles frankly suck compared to the last gen so don't expect much there. None of them support true DLNA streaming.

I own two games for the XO currently. Dead Rising 3 and Zumba (for the wife...). Almost all multi-platform releases I bought on the PS4 since performance is better.

The PS4 is just a better gaming system right now and likely for this entire generation. So exclusives and friends aside. Go PS4.

Feel free to ask any followups.
 
PS4, kid or not, PS4 is the 'cool' console this time around. Some people will say that 360 folks will go buy an xbox one this time around, but sales already showt hats not the case. over 3 mil more ps4s have sold than xbox ones, and its outselling the xbox one by a margin greater than 2:1 worldwide. The gap is still increasing, not decreasing as some had projected. There will just be more folks on the PS4 to play.

And rumors have it.. if he does enjoy games like CoD, that the developers prefer PS4 this time around, even with the Microsoft exclusivity.
 
PS4, it's more powerful. Also if VR games take off, Sony has Project Morpheus. MS has nothing.
 
And rumors have it.. if he does enjoy games like CoD, that the developers prefer PS4 this time around, even with the Microsoft exclusivity.

Cool, you made up a rumor. :rolleyes: And if you read what you just said, it makes no difference. Oh well, at least the OP will get what he thinks is best, whichever one that is.
 
Cool, you made up a rumor. :rolleyes: And if you read what you just said, it makes no difference. Oh well, at least the OP will get what he thinks is best, whichever one that is.

Nah, its been going on for awhile and a few devs have commented that so far it appears to be true.

They would be stupid to not see the shift this cycle and take response. Sony is killing it with their focus on a singular idea. "Gaming"

I still maintain that all the cool media stuff the XB1 does, if the 360 did it, would have been awesome however, we are at a point where cable cutting is becoming more and more frequent, especially with younger crowds, which would be the more likely to want it.

Most everything Microsoft is doing is reactive rather than proactive, and I hope they can find their stride. The last thing we need is a cycle where its completely dominated by one side with no competition.
 
Cool, you made up a rumor. :rolleyes: And if you read what you just said, it makes no difference. Oh well, at least the OP will get what he thinks is best, whichever one that is.

:rolleyes: I don't really care what you think, as you're already so far up Microsoft's ass it doesn't really matter.

But I'm just stating what I've seen around the web. I own all systems and I play on both, equally.

I just call a spade a spade when I see it.
 
:rolleyes: I don't really care what you think, as you're already so far up Microsoft's ass it doesn't really matter.

But I'm just stating what I've seen around the web. I own all systems and I play on both, equally.

I just call a spade a spade when I see it.

Well. I do not buy Play Stations because they do not interest me. Over the years, I have learned it is best to buy what you are going to use and play on. For me, that is Microsoft game consoles.

I am not up anyone's......, I just know what is good and do not buy into rumors. (Unless it has to do with AMD.) Since you equally play on both, how come I do not see equal criticizing of both?
 
Well. I do not buy Play Stations because they do not interest me. Over the years, I have learned it is best to buy what you are going to use and play on. For me, that is Microsoft game consoles.

I am not up anyone's......, I just know what is good and do not buy into rumors. (Unless it has to do with AMD.) Since you equally play on both, how come I do not see equal criticizing of both?

Actually I have criticized PlayStation Vs. Xbox, specifically in the multi-tasking front, where the Xbox completely demolishes it. I also like the games I do own on the Xbox One (PvZ Garden Warfare -- which I have praised numerous times, I also own NBA 2k14 on it which I haven't played in a while but I do enjoy a lot, Forza, Killer Instinct is surprisingly good despite my earlier criticisms).

Also with the updates from Microsoft, which also trumps Playstation, and Killzone the "flagship" fps killer is really bad.

But Titanfall also sucks, and IMO does not hold a candle to CoD even with all the rehashes. I play FPS a lot (On PC and just made the switch over to console FPS as well) and I prefer to play those on the better platform (I like eye candy and the difference of CoD on both consoles is night and day).

As of right now, I use my Xbox as a netflix machine (I love the voice commands, but Kinect still needs work), and Forza.

For my PS4, well I play everything else since it generally runs better.
 
Well I left all my friends on Xbox Live behind for a PS4 this generation. I only own a XBONE for the exclusives this time around. All it's being used for at the moment is Forza, while all multiplatform titles are being purchased on the PS4.

Funny how the roles were reversed for me last gen (PS3 for exclusives, XB360 for everything else).
 
OP. get the system that most of his friends are going to get, especially the ones playing NHL. In my experience so far, there have been more sports leagues and better quality on the XB1 than the PS4. Most of this has to do with the fact that they all came from the 360. EA sports games play pretty much the same for both consoles, and they all run significantly better than the last gen. MS has the better companion system to games, especially sports games with the Smart Glass. I use Smart Glass almost all the time when I am on the XB1. Also I still think XB1 has the better online platform, Sony still has issues with theirs, although it is significantly better than the PS3. PS4 on the other hand has some backward compatibility and they seem to offer more quality free games through their program. PS4 also has the better hardware and generally performs better for some of the bigger eye candy games. But even that is blown out of proportion, for the majority of the games I have played on both systems, the difference is negligible. There are only a handful of games where there is any significant difference. And for those games, I use a PC anyway which is hands down far better than either console.

Most everything Microsoft is doing is reactive rather than proactive, and I hope they can find their stride. The last thing we need is a cycle where its completely dominated by one side with no competition.

Im sorry, what? Most everything MS does is proactive, not reactive. The all in one media is a proactive move, not a reactive one. Everything Sony did was reactive. They changed their whole scheme based on people's initial thoughts of MS's DRM policy. Sony was going with the same kind of principle at first then arbitrarily changed it when they saw how people reacted to MS. XB1 offered many new features and MS has consistently been ahead of Sony on offering new elements to gaming with their systems. So explain where the 'reactive' and not 'proactive' comes from?
 
Last edited:
OP. get the system that most of his friends are going to get, especially the ones playing NHL. In my experience so far, there have been more sports leagues and better quality on the XB1 than the PS4. Most of this has to do with the fact that they all came from the 360. EA sports games play pretty much the same for both consoles, and they all run significantly better than the last gen. MS has the better companion system to games, especially sports games with the Smart Glass. I use Smart Glass almost all the time when I am on the XB1. Also I still think XB1 has the better online platform, Sony still has issues with theirs, although it is significantly better than the PS3. PS4 on the other hand has some backward compatibility and they seem to offer more quality free games through their program. PS4 also has the better hardware and generally performs better for some of the bigger eye candy games. But even that is blown out of proportion, for the majority of the games I have played on both systems, the difference is negligible. There are only a handful of games where there is any significant difference. And for those games, I use a PC anyway which is hands down far better than either console.

Im sorry, what? Most everything MS does is proactive, not reactive. The all in one media is a proactive move, not a reactive one. Everything Sony did was reactive. They changed their whole scheme based on people's initial thoughts of MS's DRM policy. Sony was going with the same kind of principle at first then arbitrarily changed it when they saw how people reacted to MS. XB1 offered many new features and MS has consistently been ahead of Sony on offering new elements to gaming with their systems. So explain where the 'reactive' and not 'proactive' comes from?

Uhm, not sure what you are talking about. Quite frankly everything Microsoft is doing is reactive, including the thing you listed. What about a kinectless version even though they swore it wasn't possible? Removing always online DRM?

The only thing microsoft did that could be said is the media portion however, in an era where most users are cutting cable, all of the silly gimmicky setbox stuff as it stands now is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

It was the wrong decision, at the wrong time.
 
Sony was going with the same kind of principle at first then arbitrarily changed it when they saw how people reacted to MS. XB1 offered many new features and MS has consistently been ahead of Sony on offering new elements to gaming with their systems. So explain where the 'reactive' and not 'proactive' comes from?

Based on what? At no point until E3 did Sony announce anything regarding their DRM policy.

Also where are the "new elements" MS is bringing to gaming on the One? Watching TV while you game? :p

Both consoles are fine and imperfect, it is pretty easy to look at exclusives and go from there.
 
Last edited:
Uhm, not sure what you are talking about. Quite frankly everything Microsoft is doing is reactive, including the thing you listed. What about a kinectless version even though they swore it wasn't possible? Removing always online DRM?

The only thing microsoft did that could be said is the media portion however, in an era where most users are cutting cable, all of the silly gimmicky setbox stuff as it stands now is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

It was the wrong decision, at the wrong time.

Really? So why don't you list all the things that Sony was proactive with over Microsoft?
 
Based on what? At no point until E3 did Sony announce anything regarding their DRM policy.

Also where are the "new elements" MS is bringing to gaming on the One? Watching TV while you game? Playing one Kinect game every 6 months?

Both consoles are fine and imperfect, people should just look at exclusives and go from there.

Really?

Link. Sony then came out and tried to backtrack saying they never had any plans of doing that... Lying just like they have always lied about stuff when getting their hands caught in the hypocrisy jar. Now with family sharing and other things on the XB1, it is actually easier to share games and content than with PS4. So even with all of Sony's bashing of MS, they still have more restriction. Also Sony originally tried to claim PS4 was going to be DRM free, but it isn't. DRM is up to the third party to do as they please.

For innovations of the Xbox, the voice and motion controls for the Kinect work very well. The camera on Kinect is far better than you get with Sony's Eye, Making Skyping and many other tasks much easier and useful. Smart Glass is a great companion tool for a number of games and tasks. The Cable options are great for many people especially when working with the Smart Glass app. MS also has 5Ghz wireless capability, something not found on the PS4. External hard drive space is not even on PS4s radar. In fact, overall I find my XB1 to be far more useful than the PS4, which is why I got rid of it. The only thing that was better for the PS4 was some of the free games and better performance in a scant few games. But in almost all the games that had better performance, I play them on PC, so it doesn't matter. I personally would much rather have the overall better functioning and easier to use (imo at least) XB1 with its extra features than the PS4. But that is just my opinion, I noted in my earlier post a number of reasons why someone might choose the PS4.

Actually one important thing that I did not mention before, the XB1 controller is still a lot better than the PS4 controller, which was also a big component for me.
 
Really?

Link. Sony then came out and tried to backtrack saying they never had any plans of doing that... Lying just like they have always lied about stuff when getting their hands caught in the hypocrisy jar.

That is a speculative article saying they changed unannounced plans. If Sony changed their plans or not is sort of irrelevant at that point, tough to be mad at a company for things they "may" have done but didn't.
 
That is a speculative article saying they changed unannounced plans. If Sony changed their plans or not is sort of irrelevant at that point, tough to be mad at a company for things they "may" have done but didn't.

It was listed on their facts page, albeit buried a bit in the document, about the upcoming PS4 originally. They then took down that page for a time and then they put back up a completely different page. I saw it myself when I got notices about updates for the PS4, having owned a PS3 and being interested in the next generation. So it wasn't just speculation, it was also reported by bunch of media outlets. Then like I said the CEO came out and tried to say they had no real plans to change anything, even though it was stated on the facts page. Interesting both the change in the facts page and his announcement came after the MS debacle. Honestly it was one of the motivations to stay with XB1 and get rid of the PS4, because of the continual lies, blame shifting, and horrible treatment of customers by Sony.
 
I haven't been treated wrongly by Sony nor have I been treated wrongly by MS (Other than requiring XBL Gold for my other Subs, lolwut?). Please don't use a blanket statement like that.
 
Really? So why don't you list all the things that Sony was proactive with over Microsoft?

Well lets see:

  • No BS DRM policy
  • Cheaper
  • Continuing to offer free games every month, upping it to two a month for PS+
  • Project Morpheus
  • Integration with Vita for wireless play from anywhere. Which arguably is where gaming seems to be going, more and more mobile.
  • Faster GPU
  • Faster memory bandwidth
  • Expandable HD storage. If its a HD with right dimensions it works.
 
Well lets see:

  • No BS DRM policy
  • Cheaper
  • Continuing to offer free games every month, upping it to six a month for PS+
  • Project Morpheus
  • Integration with Vita for wireless play from anywhere. Which arguably is where gaming seems to be going, more and more mobile.
  • Faster GPU
  • Faster memory bandwidth
  • Expandable HD storage. If its a HD with right dimensions it works.

Fixed one for you. :)
 
Well lets see:

  • No BS DRM policy
  • Cheaper
  • Continuing to offer free games every month, upping it to two a month for PS+
  • Project Morpheus
  • Integration with Vita for wireless play from anywhere. Which arguably is where gaming seems to be going, more and more mobile.
  • Faster GPU
  • Faster memory bandwidth
  • Expandable HD storage. If its a HD with right dimensions it works.

Xbox, also has no BS DRM policy, and actually has less DRM now than PS4. I am sorry, besides the Vita and free games, which is dubious since other companies have done that before, which of those is actually proactive? How is the storage proactive? Xbox One has external storage. Project Morpheus...exactly when is that available? and Lolz at all the hardware which none of it is "proactive".

I just have to laugh as all the Playstation fanbois sit there and try to make it seem like Sony is some benevolent company pushing the boundaries. It is a lot like the Apple fanbois saying how Apple "invents" everything.
 
Xbox, also has no BS DRM policy, and actually has less DRM now than PS4. I am sorry, besides the Vita and free games, which is dubious since other companies have done that before, which of those is actually proactive? How is the storage proactive? Xbox One has external storage. Project Morpheus...exactly when is that available? and Lolz at all the hardware which none of it is "proactive".

I just have to laugh as all the Playstation fanbois sit there and try to make it seem like Sony is some benevolent company pushing the boundaries. It is a lot like the Apple fanbois saying how Apple "invents" everything.

They are quite proactive.

Again, as I said the XBOX policies were simply reactive to what sony did. You are arguing my point for me... same goes for external storage, etc.

Sony made a proactive push to have the stronger hardware out of the gate, feeling that it will yield a better gaming platform. There are quite a lot of rumors and even devs outright saying Sony is the lead console this go around, and xbox will get the downgraded ports. It is what it is.

Microsoft bet on the entertainment side of things, Sony stuck to gaming. So far Sony's approach seems to be closer to what consumers want and desire, thus more sales. Basic business here folks.
 
They are quite proactive.

Again, as I said the XBOX policies were simply reactive to what sony did. You are arguing my point for me... same goes for external storage, etc.

Sony made a proactive push to have the stronger hardware out of the gate, feeling that it will yield a better gaming platform. There are quite a lot of rumors and even devs outright saying Sony is the lead console this go around, and xbox will get the downgraded ports. It is what it is.

Microsoft bet on the entertainment side of things, Sony stuck to gaming. So far Sony's approach seems to be closer to what consumers want and desire, thus more sales. Basic business here folks.

LOL at that external storage support being reactive. :rolleyes::D Also, Xbox One's hardware is definitely capable but, programming for it will be harder to get the most out of it. Sorry but, your rumors sound like a lot of BS which is something you pulled out of your nether regions.

Devs are not going to do downgraded ports unless they decide that selling games are not important to them. (Read: Probably never.) Oh well, guess folks are going to say whatever they can to make their purchases look better. (Although, good for you that you are happy with what you have.)
 
Back
Top