Oh man, it was all true, steam = $#!+

Pipo

Gawd
So I had heard of hundreds and hundreds of steam horror stories about steam but I couldn't relate with them until 2 weeks ago. I was given my first steam related game, Half Life 2. I've been trying to install this sh!t since. Steam keeps locking up and freezing on every possible step and stage of the extremely long and f!cking retarded install process. Updating/decrypting/logging in/ anything you name it. I've installed/reinstalled 5 times now and I still have an unplayed copy of half life 2 sitting on my desk. Anyone have any tips for working through all the crap that steam does? I really do want to play this game but I swear to every possible entity in existence, I will never buy another valve game and I will proceed to punch anyone I know who does.

Help appreciated. thanks!

doh-nut said:
visit the other forums and get your computer working first.

Except my computer never crashes or locks up unless steams trying to do something. Whats up with the noob-calling? I've only been a member for 2 years but I've been reading the forums for much longer than that.

GG false assumptions.

Anyways, should I jsut keep trying to install this thing until it works? Five discs are a pain in the arse.

We should just start laughing at all the people that blame Steam for their problems. Pretty soon we are gonna see threads like, "fucking steam! because of how bad steam sucks, I lost my girlfriend, and my dog won't eat"

You've heard hundreds of steam horror stories, but you don't seem to realize that you don't hear the THOUSANDS of success stories. People don't post to say, "steam worked great!" they only post when bad things happen. Of the THOUSANDS of people that use Steam, I'd say a few hundred whiners isn't that bad.

We should just start laughing at all the people that blame Steam for their problems. Pretty soon we are gonna see threads like, "fucking steam! because of how bad steam sucks, I lost my girlfriend, and my dog won't eat"

You've heard hundreds of steam horror stories, but you don't seem to realize that you don't hear the THOUSANDS of success stories. People don't post to say, "steam worked great!" they only post when bad things happen. Of the THOUSANDS of people that use Steam, I'd say a few hundred whiners isn't that bad.

It's half and half for success and failure. It's enough complaints about failures to warrant an issue. Too bad your way too narrow minded.

Open mind up and quit being an ass to someone who has a problem. I'm sure you'll be one of the firsts on a forum when something bad happens with newer technology that everyone else doesn't. :rolleyes:

Pipo: are you on broadband or 56k? cuz a "freeze" might just be a REALLY long update if you're on a 56k.

i wont complain... but i would like to note that HL2 and CS:S are the only games ever in history to freeze up my computer totally, causing me to restart constantly. But CS:S is so fun, i dont really mind :)

You've heard hundreds of steam horror stories, but you don't seem to realize that you don't hear the THOUSANDS of success stories.

Yes we do. We hear them every single time anyone hints at the possibility that Steam doesn't work correctly. Just look at the insenuations that come right before they call us hackers, thieves, and cheaters.

Make sure you don't have your video card overclocked in the least. I had to turn off any o/c of my card otherwise HL2 and/or CS:S would freeze. Other than that, HL2 and CS:S have worked flawlessly since the patches that fixed the stuttering.
Check on www.steampowered.com, they do have a 'help' section that is pretty extensive and could help you further if you can't get it going.
Good luck. :)

Every game has a certain number of people that can't play it. What's happening here is that the failure::success ratio here is considerably higher than any other game ever published. Amplified by the fact that it's such a high profile game.

There are so many things that can affect Steam it isnt even fun to think about. Fortunately for me I havent had as many issues as some users have had.

Here my sucess story...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=846018 :)

Go to the Steam forums/help files, or call VU support. "Crashing" is a pretty damn vague problem assessment.

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Make sure you don't have your video card overclocked in the least. I had to turn off any o/c of my card otherwise HL2 and/or CS:S would freeze. Other than that, HL2 and CS:S have worked flawlessly since the patches that fixed the stuttering.
Check on www.steampowered.com, they do have a 'help' section that is pretty extensive and could help you further if you can't get it going.
Good luck. :)

I'm OC along with others. Its just a matter of how well do you test your OC for stability! :p

Pipo said:
So I had heard of hundreds and hundreds of steam horror stories about steam but I couldn't relate with them until 2 weeks ago. I was given my first steam related game, Half Life 2. I've been trying to install this sh!t since. Steam keeps locking up and freezing on every possible step and stage of the extremely long and f!cking retarded install process. Updating/decrypting/logging in/ anything you name it. I've installed/reinstalled 5 times now and I still have an unplayed copy of half life 2 sitting on my desk. Anyone have any tips for working through all the crap that steam does? I really do want to play this game but I swear to every possible entity in existence, I will never buy another valve game and I will proceed to punch anyone I know who does.

Help appreciated. thanks!

Looking at the other replies, you have now also experienced the "Steam works for me, therefore it is perfect and you are an idiot" syndrome. :)

Why people rush to defend what is probably the worst thing that has happened to computer games in the past decade is beyond me.

Try cleaning out any HL2 stuff from your Steam cache, preloading all the HL2 files, and punching your key into the "Register a product I already own" dialog on Steam.

That should cut out every extraneous process between you and Steam, hopefully getting your game up and running. That's how I installed my Collector's Edition, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the guys who offered some form of help. HL2 has been decrypting at 0% since this morning. The first time I installed the game, it was decrypting at 20% for an entire day. What do I do in this situation?

My system is not OCed and I'm on a t1 (school network, capped).

speaking of steam not working... for some reason the steam servers are "too busy to handle my request" of playing CS:S. i dont see how there servers can prevent me from playing. its around 7:40pm right now, if anyone else is having this problem please tell me

well i guess CS:S has another update and so many ppl are trying to get it that its too busy, but they should take all that money of theirs and buy another 20 servers or something because this is extremely annoying.

B/c they just released a massive update.

Counter-Strike: Source Update Released
January 17, 2005, 3:12 pm · Alfred Reynolds
A Counter-Strike: Source update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The changes include:

Counter-Strike: Source

* Added Counter-Strike bots. For a more detailed description, click here
* Added new bomb defusal map de_tides
* Updated version of de_cbble to allow bots to navigate ladders
* Updated version of cs_office. Fixes minor issue with projector
* Updated version of de_dust2 to allow 40 players
* Optimization to the way that dynamic props are checked. On higher end CPUs, this can result in more than a 5% total frame rate increase
* Fixed bug where players would get twice the normal money at the start of a round
* Weapon models are now checked at startup to make sure they are within limits for size
* Fixed a bug that would allow a player to throw two flashbangs at once
* Added “motdfile” cvar, which sets the filename for the message of the day on the server
* Fixed logic that will automatically kick players for killing hostage or being idle for a long time

Honestly, I haven't had any problems with Steam. I was able to download this update in about 10 minutes and able to start playing again.

Pipo said:
Thanks for the guys who offered some form of help. HL2 has been decrypting at 0% since this morning. The first time I installed the game, it was decrypting at 20% for an entire day. What do I do in this situation?

My system is not OCed and I'm on a t1 (school network, capped).

The problem is your school, and there isn't any way to fix it. I believe Steam uses ports that are commonly blocked on networks such as those ran by schools (They're trying to stop viruses, P2P, and BT clients all at once to save themselves from legal liability). I doubt the administrators would be willing to add those ports for the sake of a game.

WickedAngel said:
The problem is your school, and there isn't any way to fix it. I believe Steam uses ports that are commonly blocked on networks such as those ran by schools (They're trying to stop viruses, P2P, and BT clients all at once to save themselves from legal liability). I doubt the administrators would be willing to add those ports for the sake of a game.
Nope, I know people on the network who have installed it.

I have never had any serious problems with Steam and think that most of the complaints are from "USER" issues and people pirating steam games.

THat's my view. And after two weeks if you cannot get hl2 installed, you're either stupid or your computer isn't working properly.

;)

If the problem is during the decrypting phase, then STEAM is probably NOT the problem. That's all done locally on your machine.. How is your hard drive space? have you stress tested your system lately, to make sure it's not unstable? Try running Memtest, and prime95.. The decrypting process is rather cpu/memory intensive, since it's pretty much re-writing 3 gb's of info.. it will make a less than stable system choke..

Sly said:
Every game has a certain number of people that can't play it. What's happening here is that the failure::success ratio here is considerably higher than any other game ever published. Amplified by the fact that it's such a high profile game.

not true, ground control 2, great game, damn boom errors, i stopped playing because when i upgraded to my raptor (nothing else changed) i started getting them. Oh well, i had my fun with the game and there was no support from massive

They're releasing updates to fix "bugs with the projecter in cs_office" but the hitbox lag and cheating stuff doesn't warrant attention?

They should have made steam an offline service with the ability to go online and update. I guess it would defeat their master plan of stopping piracy, but at least people would have the ability to play. Plus they could have spent more time stabilizing the damn thing before releasing it.

Maybe the others that have it installed at your school, unblocked the ports.

Anyway, I love STEAM, nary a problem for me from day one. I just wish all game makers would go this route.

Steam does have an offline mode for HL2, but your game must be fully updated for it to work. If you haven't even made it through the decryption process, you're screwed..

But yea, I second that.. I have to say, I really like steam so far.. All my games stay up to date, I haven't run into any blatant cheating yet, as opposed to the original CS, and everything worked as it should've from day one.. wish they had the stuttering problem narrowed down, before my first run through of HL2

finalgt said:
They're releasing updates to fix "bugs with the projecter in cs_office" but the hitbox lag and cheating stuff doesn't warrant attention?

but projectors are so much more important than hitbox's and cheaters!!!!!! ;)

stumpy said:
I have never had any serious problems with Steam and think that most of the complaints are from "USER" issues and people pirating steam games.

Bingo! It works fine for me and I don't really find it a nuisance, other than the 5 seconds it takes to open Steam before the game.

Back