Oh just great.....

You should have seen the pre-paid waiting line for the midnight release of World of Warcraft in my area, and that was a while ago. This type of thing is nothing new. They don't 'have to be apple converts' but I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of them are (considering the shitty power button fiasco has been going on ever since i3 rofl!)

It's a bit funny. Samsung ran a whole ad campaign making fun not just of the iPhone, but of the lineup mentality -- yet it's been clear for a while that the company would kill to have the same kind of sincere enthusiasm (it occasionally does, but it's not as widespread). It makes very good smartphones, but those devices have all the cachet of a washing machine.

Notably, that UK lineup happened because pre-orders got their phones a day early. It'd be interesting to see if that lineup would have existed otherwise.

I didn't think the S5 was particularly worth waiting in a line for.

I don't think any phone is really worth waiting in line for. I much prefer to play things smart and see what people have to say about the phone after launch (both in reviews and in forums).

I don't think any phone is really worth waiting in line for. I much prefer to play things smart and see what people have to say about the phone after launch (both in reviews and in forums).

Agreed, unless your the kind of person who so full of themselves and wants to show off their fancy device to all your friends. The device really isn't that much different from what came out last fall.

I feel like Samsung fanboys are in a similar flock to iPhone fanboys.
You could compare them to Xbox vs Playstation wars

I didn't think the S5 was particularly worth waiting in a line for.

I waited in line for my S5!

It was Best Buy; there was one other person in front of me and it took almost 2 hours.
Not mob mentality causing this line, just Best Buy being Best Buy...

I can't wait until May 3rd when my iPhone 4 contract expires, goodbye iOS hello Android for me - but I don't think the Galaxy 5 is released yet in UK? Ony Galaxy 4 at the moment - worth waiting for the Galaxy 5 to launch?

I waited in line for my S5!

It was Best Buy; there was one other person in front of me and it took almost 2 hours.
Not mob mentality causing this line, just Best Buy being Best Buy...

Wow... You should go to Target. I was in and out of there in 30min.

It's a bit funny. Samsung ran a whole ad campaign making fun not just of the iPhone, but of the lineup mentality -- yet it's been clear for a while that the company would kill to have the same kind of sincere enthusiasm (it occasionally does, but it's not as widespread). It makes very good smartphones, but those devices have all the cachet of a washing machine.

Notably, that UK lineup happened because pre-orders got their phones a day early. It'd be interesting to see if that lineup would have existed otherwise.

I think most of that has to do with the fact that Samsung, for instance, has so many versions of phones now. In particular, they face off each year with the Note and then then Galaxy. The iPhone has always had just the one model and release. And now, the S5 is starting to wade into the Note arena with how big it's getting.

At least these people had choices and they're waiting for one of the top phones on the market unlike the true sheep that only have one choice that's comparable to a budget Moto G. That's what Samsung commercial is poking at. It's like waiting in line to vote when you only have one nominee to choose from like Putin in Russia.

At least these people had choices and they're waiting for one of the top phones on the market unlike the true sheep that only have one choice that's comparable to a budget Moto G. That's what Samsung commercial is poking at. It's like waiting in line to vote when you only have one nominee to choose from like Putin in Russia.

5s is quite a bit faster than a Moto G... I've used both.

For the price the Moto G is MUCH better, but overall? The 5s is still the better phone.

I'm not sure if this is actually a serious post.

An obvious Samsung fanboy accusing Apple fans of being the "true sheep?" Pot to kettle: you're black! Here in the nuanced, non-absolutist real world, it's sometimes possible to line up for any product without being a mindless conformist. First, of course, you can be an educated fan who knows the alternatives before going in; there's also practical realities, such as good promos and wanting to get a device before shortages take hold.

Maybe an Apple kettle is black but most kettles are steel, copper or bronze but not aluminum! ZING :D

Back