Offsite Tape Vaulting

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
We currently use a company that collects our tapes and stores them in a vault in one of the nearby canyons. Lately they have been very unreliable.

Problem is finding another company in the Salt Lake City area that provides the same services. Is there a site or place I should check that would list the services? Ive tried the yellowpages, googling, etc. and found only one other company, but can't tell if they service local.

Thoughts?

I know places like Iron Mountain do exactly what you're looking for and are located nationally/internationally, in a place like Salt Lake city there's got to be many places that do that sort of service. Call up some IT folks you know at other businesses and see what they do.

Yup Iron Mountain is on my list to call.

I will have to make some calls, but a simple Google Search didnt pull anything which surprised me.

Hey,

I'm in the SLC area, just off the 215 east belt. Let us know what you find, I'd be interested in finding someone like that for my employer.

(Also, might be one of those businesses I'll start if there's nothing around XD )

Currently I have found Perpetual and Iron Mountain.

Perpetual: Looks like we are spending $80/Every 2 week pickup, 4-6 Tapes at a time. A good thing is they have a 'bunker/vault' in the side of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Supposibly the vault can withstand a Nuclear Blast and has 12,000Lb Door. Problem is They missed a week twice already (Not in a row) and when we called them and asked WTF they said they were busy. Hence why we are looking.

Iron Mountin: They seem to have this down pat, but from where they are located (Near Magna /West Valley City) there is not a 'bunker' complex. They have a vault, and there catalogging looks alot better than Perpetual, but I dont know. Not sure of there prices eaither.

Do you really need a bunker though? I mean if your area gets hit that hard then what good is the data?

Do you really need a bunker though? I mean if your area gets hit that hard then what good is the data?

To get our shit and high tail it to San Diego (Plan A) or Houston (Plan B). That's all I know though.

To get our shit and high tail it to San Diego (Plan A) or Houston (Plan B). That's all I know though.

What about adding extra tapes to the mix, encrypting them, and fedexing them to the other branch for backup 2 times a month?

What about adding extra tapes to the mix, encrypting them, and fedexing them to the other branch for backup 2 times a month?

Didnt think of that. It will be cheaper to FedEx. Problem is what if FedEx loses a tape? Yeah they are encrypted, but then we are a tape down (In the whole backup). I will run it by the NetAdmin and see what he says.

Good idea swat, as usual :)

Didnt think of that. It will be cheaper to FedEx. Problem is what if FedEx loses a tape? Yeah they are encrypted, but then we are a tape down (In the whole backup). I will run it by the NetAdmin and see what he says.

Good idea swat, as usual :)

Only thing I would be worried about is outside interference messing with the tapes but they could always be thrown in one of those protective bags like people use to use for travling with film.

Depending on how you do the backups if you lost a tape you should have a tape or 2 from before it. That way you would only be missing a day or 2 of info. Not great but not that bad.

Another option would be running it over a vpn to the other office depending on file sizes.

What about just getting a lock box at your local bank of preference and having one of your guys make a run down there whenever you feel necessary?

Back