Offsite Backup

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently do onsite backup to a NAS. But recently I've been worried about theft and fire and I really want to start doing offsite backup. I was hoping I could get some suggestions for a good external enclosure. I want something with eSATA and USB 3 with SATA as the internal interface. I need it to be able to do big so that all the drives all show up as one big drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

How much space are we talking about? Your sig has ~11TB, is it that or more? You can surely get another enclosure and populate it with drives, or you can do single drive backups using a backup app. What is your budget for this project?

Well, the actual amount of data would be about 4TB right now. I was going to start with two 3TB drives and go from there. I would prefer an enclosure I can populate since I can pick what drives I want. I found a 2 bay unit from Vantec that will work but I was hoping to find a 4 bay unit so I can get more drives when I need more space.

As for a budget, I didn't really have one in mind. I already have the drives. I just need the enclosure. I don't really want to spend more than about $180 though.

If you want a kick ass enclosure (we have bought a few) that has FireWire 400/800, USB 2.0/3.0 & eSATA get yourself a Guardian Maximus. It does RAID1 and starts about $125. You could stick 2 4TB drives in there and have a mirrored backup. If you decide to go with a larger device (4 bay or larger), you have a number of options. Pretty much the only brand I would say to stay away from is Drobo. How do you plan on backing up your system is another question. Do you plan to maintain a single live copy via syncing it or do you want a historical backup of changed files with differential or incremental backups so you have multiple generations? Do you want something locally attached via eSata/USB3 (faster) or do you plan on having it Network connected? Is it something you want up all the time for instantaneous backups or something you will break out once a week?

Last edited:
Well, the actual amount of data would be about 4TB right now. I was going to start with two 3TB drives and go from there. I would prefer an enclosure I can populate since I can pick what drives I want. I found a 2 bay unit from Vantec that will work but I was hoping to find a 4 bay unit so I can get more drives when I need more space.

As for a budget, I didn't really have one in mind. I already have the drives. I just need the enclosure. I don't really want to spend more than about $180 though.

the budget is tight. as i know, the best backup is offline backup.

Here's the 2 bay Vantec enclosure I like. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I would rather have a 4 bay so I can expand. However, they seem to be confused. It does big but they're calling it JBOD which isn't the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392054

If you want a kick ass enclosure (we have bought a few) that has FireWire 400/800, USB 2.0/3.0 & eSATA get yourself a Guardian Maximus. It does RAID1 and starts about $125. You could stick 2 4TB drives in there and have a mirrored backup. If you decide to go with a larger device (4 bay or larger), you have a number of options. Pretty much the only brand I would say to stay away from is Drobo. How do you plan on backing up your system is another question. Do you plan to maintain a single live copy via syncing it or do you want a historical backup of changed files with differential or incremental backups so you have multiple generations? Do you want something locally attached via eSata/USB3 (faster) or do you plan on having it Network connected? Is it something you want up all the time for instantaneous backups or something you will break out once a week?

I liked it up until I saw that it was RAID. I don't want RAID. I need it to do big so that all the drives show up as one volume on the computer. So, if I have two 3TB drives they will show up as one 6TB drive. I already have local backup via a NAS. I want this for offsite backup. Pretty much I'll backup just the changes each week, disconnect the drives, and take them back offsite. That's why I want USB 3 or eSATA.

buy 2 more 2 tb hdd for offline backup. thats wt i do .

the budget is tight. as i know, the best backup is offline backup.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I hate online backup. I want to be in control of my data. I already have 2 3TB drives. I just need to find the right enclosure. I don't see why $180 is tight for a four bay enclosure that does SATA internally, eSATA/USB 3 externally, and just uses big. It's a simple device. It's not like I'm looking for RAID 5 with SAS drives.

if u already have hdds, then just buy a dock for external hdd. backup once a weeks.. if u dont use it, just put it somewhere is dry.

if u already have hdds, then just buy a dock for external hdd. backup once a weeks.. if u dont use it, just put it somewhere is dry.

That's what I do at home and it works well. It's easily expandable by buying more drives.

I have it setup so each drive is for a specific backup job, I have multiple drives for the same job to have a bit of a rotation. So I pop the drive in, turn it on, run a script, it sends me an email when it's done, and I can turn it off.

Then some of these drives are stored at a personal post office box.

Here's the 2 bay Vantec enclosure I like. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I would rather have a 4 bay so I can expand. However, they seem to be confused. It does big but they're calling it JBOD which isn't the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392054

I liked it up until I saw that it was RAID. I don't want RAID. I need it to do big so that all the drives show up as one volume on the computer. So, if I have two 3TB drives they will show up as one 6TB drive. I already have local backup via a NAS. I want this for offsite backup. Pretty much I'll backup just the changes each week, disconnect the drives, and take them back offsite. That's why I want USB 3 or eSATA.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I hate online backup. I want to be in control of my data. I already have 2 3TB drives. I just need to find the right enclosure. I don't see why $180 is tight for a four bay enclosure that does SATA internally, eSATA/USB 3 externally, and just uses big. It's a simple device. It's not like I'm looking for RAID 5 with SAS drives.

I can't speak for the quality since I have never used it myself, but the eSATA/USB3 version is $152 and the eSATA/USB3 version is $178. Does JBOD/Big/Span and it fits your budget needs. StarTech is usually cheap lower-end stuff, but it tends to work (YMMV). Personally for this kind of stuff the Sans Digital is usually better, but a bit (or a lot more) more expensive. Remember to use the H Buying Links to help out the site!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

That's what I do at home and it works well. It's easily expandable by buying more drives.

I have it setup so each drive is for a specific backup job, I have multiple drives for the same job to have a bit of a rotation. So I pop the drive in, turn it on, run a script, it sends me an email when it's done, and I can turn it off.

Then some of these drives are stored at a personal post office box.

I have one and that's how I used to backup. I don't like having the loose drive around. Besides, these will be going back and forth to a safe deposit box at the bank. I don't want them loose. Also, I don't want to have to backup to one drive, pull it and put in the next drive. I just want to plug one device in, start copying, and leave.

I can't speak for the quality since I have never used it myself, but the eSATA/USB3 version is $152 and the eSATA/USB3 version is $178. Does JBOD/Big/Span and it fits your budget needs. StarTech is usually cheap lower-end stuff, but it tends to work (YMMV). Personally for this kind of stuff the Sans Digital is usually better, but a bit (or a lot more) more expensive. Remember to use the H Buying Links to help out the site!

Interesting. I have a MediaSonic brand enclosure that looks just like that. It only does JBOD though. Wonder who actually makes them. I'e use StarTech before. They're not bad. I'll look into Sans Digital stuff. Thanks for the suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one and that's how I used to backup. I don't like having the loose drive around. Besides, these will be going back and forth to a safe deposit box at the bank. I don't want them loose. Also, I don't want to have to backup to one drive, pull it and put in the next drive. I just want to plug one device in, start copying, and leave.

Interesting. I have a MediaSonic brand enclosure that looks just like that. It only does JBOD though. Wonder who actually makes them. I'e use StarTech before. They're not bad. I'll look into Sans Digital stuff. Thanks for the suggestions.

sound like u got a plan. just do it

I have a plan and that's what I intend to do. The whole point of this post was to find the right drive enclosure to do it.

There are no "right enclosures."

If you buy one and it works, you will think it was the "right enclosure."

It you buy one and it does not work, you will think otherwise.

But all in all failures are random and any enclosure could be right or wrong.

---

I have about 6 enclosures that have worked in the past. I expect they will work in the future. But if they don't no big deal. I have so many copies of our important data, that a failure here or there will not affect me.

---

I have about 6 enclosures that have worked in the past. I expect they will work in the future. But if they don't no big deal. I have so many copies of our important data, that a failure here or there will not affect me.

Semantics.

Fine... let me rephrase. I'm looking for the enclosure that fits my needs that I listed in the OP. I'm just looking for suggestions that fit what I'm looking for, I'm glad a couple of people at least a couple of people read the OP.

---

agree

Back