Offsite backup?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Good idea or bad idea? We have a safe deposit box at the bank that the drives where put into.

Now that I moved everything to a rack, it is locked and no one gets in, which also means no one gets to take the backups off site.

I'd like to have 1 backup disk on site and then the rest off site. We now have more of a decent internet connection so I don't think it would be a big issue to do it.

I have zero clue as to where to start to look or know who is good or bad.

Offsite backup is a must. What happens if you building burns down, or some other disaster strikes

How much data are you looking at? And how important is it?

Yep, you've got to have a copy of your data off-site, k1pp3r has asked the important questions already, perhaps two others to consider are: What type of data is it (SQL, Exchange, Flat Files, etc)? How quickly would you need to be able to restore it if you had to?

I just paid $2030 for a single drive to Ontrack for a friend who's house caught fire. Compared to data recovery (if it's even possible), offsite backups are cheap.

Thought process when putting server hardware into a rack...should have been to maintain access to whatever you're doing for removable media. If it's USB..you can still have the USB cable passing out the cabinet..so someone can manipulate the drives via that. If it's removable media like an old tape, or RD1000 type..or whatever...well, depends, several ways to skin that cat. But moving gear to a rack/cabinet should not mean you cannot access backup media, that should have been part of the design.

Thought process when putting server hardware into a rack...should have been to maintain access to whatever you're doing for removable media. If it's USB..you can still have the USB cable passing out the cabinet..so someone can manipulate the drives via that. If it's removable media like an old tape, or RD1000 type..or whatever...well, depends, several ways to skin that cat. But moving gear to a rack/cabinet should not mean you cannot access backup media, that should have been part of the design.

OH SNAP!!!!

mozy.com

carbonite.com

The two most common and easiest solutions for online off-site backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I reccoment against anyone using carbonite for anytype of sensitive data

http://techcrunch.com/2009/03/23/online-backup-company-carbonite-loses-customers-data-blames-and-sues-suppliers/

If this is mission critical to your business, don't cheap out and go with one of these companies, you need something reliable
An article from over a year ago.
About an equipment failure from 3 years ago.
About which corrective action was taken to fix the solution and hopefully insure it doesn't happen again.

If that's the worst dirt on them, I wouldn't hold it too heavily over their head.

There is a very good rule to follow when doing backups: 3,2,1.

3 copies of the data
2 different medium (cloud, magnetic, optical, tape etc).
1 copy which is off site.

As for Carbonite, if you read the article it was not the leakage of information, all backups are stored encrypted by both Mozy and Carbonite. Carbonite had a bunch of Promise drives fail, and if you needed to recover within the window that it took to re-sync then a few people lost data ... but if you were following the 3 copies rule, there would not have been a problem.

Additionally I think most of us would add, It is not backup unless it is automatic. This is the advantage of Carbonite/Mozy/JungleDisk/CrashPlan - automatic off-site backup; but you still need to keep a local backup as well, if for nothing else than quick restores. It can take days / weeks to restore from the cloud.

There is a very good rule to follow when doing backups: 3,2,1.

3 copies of the data
2 different medium (cloud, magnetic, optical, tape etc).
1 copy which is off site.

As for Carbonite, if you read the article it was not the leakage of information, all backups are stored encrypted by both Mozy and Carbonite. Carbonite had a bunch of Promise drives fail, and if you needed to recover within the window that it took to re-sync then a few people lost data ... but if you were following the 3 copies rule, there would not have been a problem.

Additionally I think most of us would add, It is not backup unless it is automatic. This is the advantage of Carbonite/Mozy/JungleDisk/CrashPlan - automatic off-site backup; but you still need to keep a local backup as well, if for nothing else than quick restores. It can take days / weeks to restore from the cloud.
Good stuff here. For example.

I have
  • live working copy.
  • Cobian Backup (free utility) archive and backup to external drive, automatic. Maintains 3 full backups, and a new full backup every 6th. Daily around 2am.
  • Mozy for offsite, completely automatic.

It's very cost effective.

An article from over a year ago.
About an equipment failure from 3 years ago.
About which corrective action was taken to fix the solution and hopefully insure it doesn't happen again.

If that's the worst dirt on them, I wouldn't hold it too heavily over their head.

One of my primary roles is Backup and disaster recovery, if any of my suppliers were to loose data, i would move my business from them in a heart beat. 90% of companies that experience data loss go out of business within 12 months.

If you don't mind that risk, thats your call.

skip mozy and carbonite, go with intronis, compressed data ftw

To throw in my comments... i used to think offsite backup, bleh, nothing will ever happen to me. So did my clients. One of our clients lost their entire building last year due to a big fire. For those on LI, the fire across from Republic Airport... my client had office space in that building. The whole place is gone, he lost EVERYTHING. The only data we have, is what was stored on his web server off-site.

Now i run a backup server for my clients. We offer them off-site backups for a monthly fee. Faster uploads/restores then using something like carbonite,as we control the bandwidth.

Mozy/Carbonite are slow as anything they limit the bandwidth so it takes forever. We use a product called Vembu StoreGrid... i used to hate it but works nicely now for us, especially the morning reports that tell me if my clients data got backed up or not.

^ how does that software work for ya? whats hte pricing like?

ive always been turned off by bringing off site backup into our own office, wouldn't want that responsibility of all the data being at the office.

We use a product called Vembu StoreGrid... i used to hate it but works nicely now for us, especially the morning reports that tell me if my clients data got backed up or not.

The company I've already linked to:
http://www.redroadnetworks.com/

uses Vembu Storegrid. And ACP tech I also linked to uses Ahsay. So two companies with 2 different products that you can evaluate and see if you like it.

They both also have reseller programs.

Old setup was on a roll away cart with everything exposed. I am still not hot about having the drive hanging off the rack. The area is a fairly high traffic area and I want to keep the drive ours.

Thinking an off-site solution so I can set it and forget it, and no one has access to the hardware. I don't even like where my office is with all sorts of valuables in it, it is in a high traffic area that is only locked w/o an alarm.

We where very good about getting the drives swapped 2 times a week to the bank. Also the people that would be handling the drive are pretty care-free and I guess I don't want them touching my baby.

what is the setup like as far as hard ware?

why dont you backup to a nas and swap nas offsite?

what is the setup like as far as hard ware?

why dont you backup to a nas and swap nas offsite?

A Dell PE with win2k8 r2 with a handful of servers running on it, and another server that does backups and hosts some old shitty win2k ts for some other company.

The PE has win2k8r2 & hyper-v with a Win2k8 R2 DC, 2 win2k3 terminal servers, 1 win2k3 server for sql and shop software, and another win2k3 server for mail and files.

how much data?

can you just backup the hyper v images and be done? server 08 has nice backup tool, maybe use backup assist to backup to a nas and rotate

Backup exec has an agent on each virtual machine and pulls the files back, looks like only 300 gigs which doesn't seem right at all considering we have multiple users with HUGE ass mail boxes.

I think the only thing(last I looked) that can backup the VHD's is acronis and it runs something like $2200?

Mozy is not a business backup service: their turnaround time for disaster recovery frankly sucks. Have a client who used them (before I came on board). His server fried, and he called me in to recover. It took Mozy 5 days to get the backup to him... Mozy may be fine for home users, where recovery time is not an issue, but they are unaccepatable for a business

I use Intronis. Am also looking at Jungledisk: http://www.jungledisk.com/business/server/features/

Edit: You may also want to look at Datto: http://www.dattobackup.com/. Uses a NAS backup device (in their simplest execution), with automatic nightly offsite replication...

The company I work for NovaStor, www.novastor.com, has a solution that will do local and online backup all in one piece of software. There are a number of online service providers to choose from in the software, many with decently sized free storage available.

You can even host your own storage server (think the endpoint for Mozy). If you are interested in this, shoot me a PM and I am sure I can talk to a sales guy to get you a deal being part of the [H]erd and all :)

ive always been turned off by bringing off site backup into our own office, wouldn't want that responsibility of all the data being at the office.

It works pretty well for us, now that i know how to use it. It has a learning curve till you figure out their lingo and what not, but other then that it works well. I've done a few restores for clients, i usually do it to a USB hd and bring the data on site, faster that way.

For Server OS systems (windows 2003, 2008) they charge like $149.95 and i thin half for other os's (windows xp, 7)

Hmm... great Idea to back up data on NAS but I doubt does these provide total security to the data If in case it gets corrupt as well as my hard drive it's a odd chance but still will I be able to recover the data in that case

Back