Offsite backup software

Currently we have been using Ahsay, which has a lot of great features. But they are lacking, and their support just sucks. We have had some major issues and are currently looking at other possible solutions.

Anyone offer offsite backup and what software do you use? We are really looking for a system that installs an agent on the servers, does encryption and possibly have the same feature as in-file delta whereby it updates the files literally bit by bit instead of sending the full file over, saving on time and bandwidth.

Thanks!

iDrive (www.idrive.com) is what I've been using with a few business clients (rather iBackup, but it's the same thing except iDrive does Exchange and Database backups).

Your requirements are pretty standard of most offsite backup software these days.

Personally I love www.crashplan.com. They are a great company, with a very good product that is stable and supports a ton of platforms. They started on a unique shared backup feature (where you could backup to friends vs. a central backup), but have now expanded into a central backup and also make enterprise versions.

The bit by bit vs. full file is called block level backup and crashplan does that in addition to de-duplication which makes it very bandwidth friendly.

We use idrive at it seems to do the job but now I see some other options here that we should look into.

CrashPlan
Asigra
Novastor
Ahsay
Vembu

Those are who I used to work with.

Your requirements are pretty standard of most offsite backup software these days.

Personally I love www.crashplan.com. They are a great company, with a very good product that is stable and supports a ton of platforms. They started on a unique shared backup feature (where you could backup to friends vs. a central backup), but have now expanded into a central backup and also make enterprise versions.

The bit by bit vs. full file is called block level backup and crashplan does that in addition to de-duplication which makes it very bandwidth friendly.

Another vote for Crashplan. Awesome product.

We've been using Intronis for a few of our clients. Located in Mass, local support ..good support. No calling and getting habu in India.

I USED Intronis. Not any more. Moving all our clients off it. I am on Nine Technology now.

Intronis cost is more than most because it does Brick Level. Problem with it that we found is the backup sets end up getting bulk after a few months, leading to over quota on everyone. We had 1TB with them and 1TB with Mozy. Goign to Nine Technology for everyone.

So far no complains, have it branded, cost is cheap like mozy, speeds are good. No Brick Level but not making that a issue.

If anyone wants to get in I can hook it up =)

Figure no less than a dollar a gig

They have two plans compressed and uncompressed

I told yeolde bout it and have 50 clients 800gb overall storage

I just got off the horn with them. I'm not very impressed with the pricing structure. If I put that kind of a plan in front of most of my SMB clients, I'd be ushered out of the building... The price/GB that I was given is almost twice what I've found the average is for the online backup services.

Yes price is very high, we are at .90 a gb ad have tons. Nine is very good Nate. Are you reselling or just install on own machines?

Figure no less than a dollar a gig

They have two plans compressed and uncompressed

I told yeolde bout it and have 50 clients 800gb overall storage

When we signed up we were waaaay less than a dollar a gig. We're even less now since we've jumped a few tiers.

Yeah, that's what I was quoted, 90 cents/GB. It's was a sliding scale starting a 0-350GB PER CLIENT is $.90/GB. What is Nine's structure?

I'm looking to Resell as this point. Does Nine do local copy backup as well? I'd rather not do 2 jobs, since restore from local will always be faster.

Brian uncompressed isn't compressed :)

The product is good only if you needs brick level if not enjoy the restarts of services ad crashing .net

We are swapping all to nine and axcient

Intronis cost is more than most because it does Brick Level.

Intronis uses VSS
It also backups Exchange properly...not just brick level.
At first we had clients "bloat" their accounts, but Intronis support showed us how to set things up so the clients accounts usage stops bloating and creeping.
Only thing I wish they had...was full disaster recover/images to restore to bare metal. It's in the ropes.

R1Soft CDP Backup is okay. Will do everything you specified (agent based, delta copy, encryption, also bare metal restore). I use it with one of my clients who has two Windows SBS 2008 servers. I've got an issue with doing backups with one of the servers, since I think VSS got messed up after a power outage. R1Soft support has been pretty helpful in diagnosing the issue, pointing me where I need to look.

You'd need to have a server colo'd somewhere to put the R1Soft CDP Server on, which can run Linux or Windows. Then you'd install the Agents on whatever servers your clients have.

Intronis uses VSS
It also backups Exchange properly...not just brick level.
At first we had clients "bloat" their accounts, but Intronis support showed us how to set things up so the clients accounts usage stops bloating and creeping.
Only thing I wish they had...was full disaster recover/images to restore to bare metal. It's in the ropes.

I wouldn't use that for DR you should really look at Axcient. Better solution for that

Sorry I re-read a few things.

Intronis does message level backup for exchange. That is the only reason we went with them. After using the product on older machines, workstations, servers, we noticed that after some time we would always need to restart a server to get the backup going.

We had a lot of bloat from backups, which yes you can disable the standard revision and it cuts it down but it still is more expensive compared to the rest.

We went with Nine, because it is back to the pricing Mozy was without licensing fees, and the message level backup isn't a big deal for us any more. Branding was also nice.

Sorry I re-read a few things.

Intronis does message level backup for exchange. That is the only reason we went with them. After using the product on older machines, workstations, servers, we noticed that after some time we would always need to restart a server to get the backup going.

We had a lot of bloat from backups, which yes you can disable the standard revision and it cuts it down but it still is more expensive compared to the rest.

We went with Nine, because it is back to the pricing Mozy was without licensing fees, and the message level backup isn't a big deal for us any more. Branding was also nice.

A while ago I had one clients server that frequently needed the backup client to get kicked in the pants to get going again. They've had frequent software client updates....can't say I've had that problem lately...maybe one of the updates fixed a glitch.

Intronis has branding too...although that doesn't matter to me...we're the only ones that see our clients servers.,,,but yeah cool to see your own logo on the splash screen.

Is Nine's support good? That's what important to me with Intronis.

Thanks for all the recommendations - what I have noticed a lot is that most of them are full cloud solutions - we are looking more to host our own storage.

Thanks for all the recommendations - what I have noticed a lot is that most of them are full cloud solutions - we are looking more to host our own storage.

Vembu StorGrid does that. You can build your own remote host, and back up server(s) to it. Pretty simple, works well. You can either schedule the backup(s) or have them real time if necessary. Put it on a VPN tunnel to a 2nd site and you're good to go. Plus, you can do the initial full backup onsite, and then either move it to the remote server, or just move the remote server itself and change IPs, etc.

We used RBackup before we went to Intronis.
http://www.remote-backup.com/rbackup/

It just seemed to make more sense to offload that cost...which is why we dumped it and moved to a cloud service.

*Hit your bandwidth, or hit someone elses bandwidth
*Keep up 3 year server hardware costs/replacement costs/upgrade costs/expansion costs...or hit up someone elses hardware
*Bump up your own electric bill by hosting your own servers, or hit up someone elses electric bill
*Bump up your own server rooms air conditioning load...or hit up....
*Another big battery backup unit to maintain at 3-5 year cycles

I also run a product for a client of mine from Nova Stor...they make many backup products, at least one is geared towards the "do it yourselfer" like you're looking to do. One of the members of this forum works for NovaStor, acexsmurf....send him a PM.

yea, i'm looking for the same thing... i played around a little bit with crashplan for using your own storage, but the Syncrify still looks to be the best one out there...

there are a few other ones out there that look to do backups to SSH, those look good to me as well... still trying to find one that does everything i want though

whew, I have 17TB to back up. $.90/GB?? I'm keeping my tape library and SATA arrays, way cheaper. $.90/GB would cost me $183,600 per year. At that point, the ROI on CommVault or NetBackup is in weeks, not months.

I was in this boat a few months ago.

Go between Vembu, Nova Stor and a few others. Decided against, didn't want to drop 10 grand for licenses and then more for hardware.

Ah Say, Vembu, Nova Stor are some big players.

I decided to outsource it.

Can't be HIPAA compliant if you host your own unless you have a datacenter =)

Well Ahsay at the moment seems to be leading with the most features for the right buck.

So I have been comparing features of others.

Syncrify looks great, and great pricing per CAL. But it seems it only does files. Do not see any options for databases, Exchange, system states, etc. SQL is not really a big deal, you can just export it to flat file and backup. System state on the other hand is important.

RBackup from looking at the features does offer these. I did see options for Exchange, System, etc.

Handy does offer these options too, but seems pricey as you have to buy the agents separate.

Ahsay offers all the features, pricing is not bad but their support is completly horrid. It seems to also have issues with doing large backups.

Crashplan looked promising, but after playing with the evaluation it looks like it is more geared to just pure file backups, not towards Exchange, SQL, System States, etc.

Novastor waiting for the sales rep to get back to me.

Vembu waiting for the sales rep to get back to me.

It seems we collected some steam from other members here basically looking for the same thing: Offsite Backup allowing for your own local storage, OEM Branding, different types of backups, security, etc.

I've personally consulted many Backup Service Providers, and there are few that I would stay far away from.

Vembu -- Their consumable licensing structure makes the software more expensive than its worth and just very poor performing and hard to maintain.

Ahsay -- Recently had released an upgrade that basically in short corrupted the storage vault and forcing all the clients to push a full backup again (timely and costly)

Novastor -- One of the big players, PM AceXsmurf and he'll get you on the phone with a sales person very quickly and get you #'s infront of you. They license on a per-agent basis, all-in-all solid product to build a business off of.

Asigra -- Geared for your larger service provider base larger storage footprint accounts , Multi OS support here is great, single client footprint to backup an entire network is nice, CDP, brick level exchange backup, VSS and API level Microsoft Plugin support. Pricing is based off of compressed storage in the storage vault. Little expensive here, but you get a very high quality product.

If you need any assistance with this, PM me and I would be more than willing to help you get your infrastructure designed and help you get things setup if you need assistance.

Back