• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Offshoring Does Not Cost Developer Jobs?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
InfoWorld says that a new report is claiming that offshoring of software development by software companies is not costing Americans jobs.

The association is releasing its Global Software Development Survey Report, which surveyed 114 American-based software companies last year. In a conclusion that stateside developers probably would not find surprising, SIIA found that software companies are increasing offshore software development efforts. However, companies are not looking to displace American workers, said David Thomas, executive director of SIIA.
 
Oh yes, the world is all rosy.

BS.

I'm living in development hell due to my companies outsourcing to India. Absolutely NONE of the code we get back from India is commented. So it causes me and the other lead developers to them make subsequent calls to these asshats to figure out what portion of code does what.

Outsourcing flat out sucks.
 
Absolute BS. I work for a telecom company and not a month goes by that we aren't laying off US resources and increasing GDNT (China) and TCS (India) SW and PT resources.
 
Agreed. I don't have a problem with competent foreign workers, but since when has competency been a job requirement?

I've worked in both telecom and software development, so I've experienced this business "practice" firsthand. At my present job as a test engineer, the entire S/W department is staffed by Indian workers on H1 visas. I'm not trying to come across as racist, but the code these particular guys produce is laughable, yet there are few peer reviews conducted so management thinks that they're saving money this way.
 
A good friend of mine works for a very large IT company here in Michigan which supports some of the largest companies in the country. The bad news is that he has seen folks on his team lose their jobs to oversees outsourcing. The good news is that he now has fairly good job security fixing and re-doing everything that the foreign workers do wrong!
 
Oh yes, the world is all rosy.

BS.

I'm living in development hell due to my companies outsourcing to India. Absolutely NONE of the code we get back from India is commented. So it causes me and the other lead developers to them make subsequent calls to these asshats to figure out what portion of code does what.

Outsourcing flat out sucks.

I'd like to back up this statement, I don't work for a devlopment company but my buddy does, and that exactly what he says, well up to the commented part.

Also not to mention that most of it is poorly written and badly hacked together, he has to use it however because its the code base the company requires him to. Also I'm not so sure if that possibly companies like this downsize to a point, just not all the way.
 
Oh yes, the world is all rosy.

BS.

I'm living in development hell due to my companies outsourcing to India. Absolutely NONE of the code we get back from India is commented. So it causes me and the other lead developers to them make subsequent calls to these asshats to figure out what portion of code does what.

Outsourcing flat out sucks.

Sounds familliar... alot of times the "foreign" consulting companies have local "project managers" who are from that country and manage the work going back and forth. A number of walls form, like culture, language and "ownership" of particular projects which have the effect of keeping out US workers from any of that work.

As someone who twice trained the foreign & H1B consultants who replaced me, I can say that the assertion in question here is utterly false. This only serves foreign subcontracting companies and the larger companies who have spent their way through the offshoring money pit of '00-'04 and may now be seeing savings.
 
Not enough H1B visas? WTF. The immagration service just admitted a couple weeks ago they lost the records and have NO IDEA how many H1B visas that have been issued, who and where these people are, etc, etc.

This is all about profits, especially profits from labor$$ reduction AND tax liability reduction. By having work done CHEAP offshore, and importing the results at inflated costs/prices, companies can fudge the reality of profit margins and lower thier taxes.

It's the NEW way of having 2 sets of books.

Lets discuss the National Security and National Economic Security ramifications of this bullshit. For the sake of boosting short term profits, these companies are literally putting the NATION at risk. It's treason, and if we ever have a congress that ISN'T a bunch of crooks, bought and paid for by corporate America, we might just get this nonsense ended in a big flaming crackdown.

Same of course goes for AMD and Intel with hardware. Offshore fabs, in tax free bribed corrupt 3rd world countries crank out chips for $50ea., the offshore subsidiary sells it to the US branch for $499, and the US retail is $500. So the US sub ends up paying tax on $1 instead of $450, and the US Treasury and US taxpayer foots the bill for vastly enhanced corporate profits.

Corporate welfare makes actual human welfare look like a DROP in the bucket.
 
This article is absolute crap. I am a Lead Developer for a Worldwide Outsourcing Firm with 80,000(+) employees. My client is a national defense company.

Notice how wages for IT developers has not increased in 10 years? I am making about the same as I was 10 years ago!

Talk about National Security? I wonder if / when any radical muslims will start targeting offshore US data centers?
 
This article is absolute crap. I am a Lead Developer for a Worldwide Outsourcing Firm with 80,000(+) employees. My client is a national defense company.

Notice how wages for IT developers has not increased in 10 years? I am making about the same as I was 10 years ago, and inflation is up quite a bit in 10 years.

Talk about National Security? I wonder if / when any radical muslims will start targeting offshore US data centers?
 
Agreed. I don't have a problem with competent foreign workers, but since when has competency been a job requirement?

I've worked in both telecom and software development, so I've experienced this business "practice" firsthand. At my present job as a test engineer, the entire S/W department is staffed by Indian workers on H1 visas. I'm not trying to come across as racist, but the code these particular guys produce is laughable, yet there are few peer reviews conducted so management thinks that they're saving money this way.

I assume by laughable that you mean that their code is so bloated and full of errors, that it is a wonder that it works.

I have to agree with that. I think that the main reason that computer programs and drivers are getting bigger and bigger is because we are outsourcing so much stuff to overseas places, and no one actually oversees those workers to make sure that they are competent.
 
Back
Top