"Official" Windows Vista abbreviation?

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
So we have:
Win95, Win98, Win2K, WinXP, what is the abbreviation for Vista? WinVS? WinVI? Vinsta?

Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

I think everybody will skip over the win* in it and just refer to it as "vista". "Do you have Vista installed already?" ... yeah, sounds ok to me ;)

wizzackr said:
I think everybody will skip over the win* in it and just refer to it as "vista". "Do you have Vista installed already?" ... yeah, sounds ok to me ;)

Agreed

Yes, I call "Vista" as well. But if you must include MS in the name in some cases, I believe "WinVS" sound good as well.

ScYcS said:
Windows "V"

No, veto against that - it would inevitably lead to the same, lengthy debates as with OSX, where some ppl say it is OS "10" and others OS "X" :D

I cast my vote for plain and simple Vista...followed by the more detailed, Vista32, and Vista64.

I think just plain 'Vista' has already more then caught on. Just looking up and down the last 50 posts or so here in the OS forum you can see it is the trend.

However, what is the meaning of 'Official' in the thread topic? Official as per Microsoft? The community?

Tweakin said:
However, what is the meaning of 'Official' in the thread topic? Official as per Microsoft? The community?

We're strictly looking for what's officially considered to be cool, here, so you know when to laugh at your friends and when not. ;)

wizzackr said:
We're strictly looking for what's officially considered to be cool, here, so you know when to laugh at your friends and when not. ;)

Ah right, in that case anyone who doesn't call it Winsta should be ridiculed. ;)

wizzackr said:
No, veto against that - it would inevitably lead to the same, lengthy debates as with OSX, where some ppl say it is OS "10" and others OS "X" :D

Well Vista is NT 5.2 so it could be Windows V.I :D

I think "Vista" or "Vista32" or "Vista64" sounds pretty good. The Mac peeps will probably call it OSXRipoff. :D

Back