Official testing/learning hifi audio

I was a Chief Sonar Technician in the Navy. There are certain frequencies I can't hear for shit any more.

Working around the worlds loudest stereo set can be damaging :)

And anyone that has spent years aboard ship is probably at least partially tone deaf at 400hz.

And for those of you thinking "WTF is this 400Hz Stuff?", here is the basics:

Q: What is 400 HZ Electric Power?
A: It is the type of electric power that is the standard of the commercial aircraft and aerospace industry because of its lightweight, its high power, and its proven reliability. Every time you fly in commercial airliners, the 400HZ power produced by the alternators on each engine power the overhead lights, air conditioning, heats your food, moves the landing gear up and down, rolls the wing flaps in and out, flushes the toilets, powers the radar, TV screens, radios, etc., etc. It is the primary power on all commercial and military aircraft.

Same reason for shipboard use.

In short, ships are full of Servo's, Synchro's and Resolvers, and other electronic parts that can be built MUCH MUCH smaller when driven with 400hz power.

And yes, 230v 400hz power makes for one nasty frickin' burn if it gets you. Assuming it doesn't kill you.

Last edited:
Many of us did the bitrate test awhile back but I have not done the golden ears challenge before. Will do so tonight. I have a nice system but unfortunately, too many concerts when I was younger has taken it's toll. The ringing sucks as well sometimes. The loudest part of my day is when my head hits the pillow.

I'm going to get custom made earplugs to go to concerts and party's next week. I'm only 20 and not really a fan of 100db+ parties :D.
Luckily, nothing is lost ATM.

Just finished the Goldenears test. Hardest ones were bitrate 128bit compared to their original (surely not uncompressed), bass extention under 50Hz and High frequency extention above 14000Hz was extremely difficult. I just did it with my Bose Quietcomfort 15's and 3.5 out on my laptop though... Will order a DAC tomorrow or so.

Ok, so I'd like to make a topic where we can share everything to test our hearing skills.
There isnt a need to test them unless entering some kind of competition or are wondering about a problem.
You hear what you hear, testing wont change that.

Do you have a reason for the thread?

There isnt a need to test them unless entering some kind of competition or are wondering about a problem.
You hear what you hear, testing wont change that.

Do you have a reason for the thread?

Helping people that are curious :D.
The Golden Ears one also learns you what to listen for and how to call the exact thing you are hearing. Some people say: this sounds unnatural. If they did the GE challenge, they could say that it's clipping, or that there something wrong at 1000Hz,...
They can hear the difference between equipment a lot better when they are shopping for audio equipment (actually hearing how bad Beats are). Which in the long run also helps all other audiofiles get better reviews and better products by the altered sales because of the added knowledge in the general public.

Back