Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

So now I can't bounce around corners and direct-hit...

Woo... guess it's for the better ;) I'll have to aim even better... :eek: More direct-hit crit-hit insta-gibs for me :D!

well getting kills with demo man was/is just too damn easy. i rarely use demoman but when i do i can easily get 2-4 times the number of kills compared to my usual heavy numbers. then again that could just mean heavy sucks in this game, idk. i guess what im trying to say is I REALY WANT valve to tweak heavy to make him move faster when shooting. ;)

Thanks for the link, I saw TF2 was updated but I didn't read what the update news was. Then I played and noticed the pyro class was actually being played, and being played pretty well by a few different people. I noticed that I wasn't as dominant with demoman either.

Good for Valve, these are the changes that we asked for and were needed. Rock on!

well getting kills with demo man was/is just too damn easy. i rarely use demoman but when i do i can easily get 2-4 times the number of kills compared to my usual heavy numbers. then again that could just mean heavy sucks in this game, idk. i guess what im trying to say is I REALY WANT valve to tweak heavy to make him move faster when shooting. ;)

Every class is good in certain cituations... I've taken over points on Granary as a heavy with 1 medic and no uber, just railed down 5-6 scouts/engys/medics/soldiers/sentry and moved on to the last point in maybe 10-15 seconds... Heavy sucks in the open or if he isn't prepared...

I'm learning some good sticky-bomb jumps on Dustbowl... my favorite is on offensive on the last stage, you can jump up next to the rocket silo on that tiny ledge, if you kill the sentry guns from across, you can creep around and slowly nade the sentrys that are too far away, then continue to keep creeping around the silo nading any sentrys/dispensers you come across..

And on the 1st point on the last stage, if there are sentrys to the right but not to the left, you can sticky-bomb jump to the point and the sentrys (typically) can't see you, and you can cap the point. The sentrys lock onto you, but haven't done enough damage to me to kill... I've done it a couple times...

Wow. They took away the one thing the demoman WAS good at... it's like trying to be a soldier, except your rockets don't explode instantly, they bounce around on the ground doing absolutely nothing, letting the enemy run away... it's lame...

I shot a soldier 3 times in the face pointblank, and he lived... ?

Bah, I still killed people, did 4600 damage in one run, STILL I was missing kills I should have gotten and the only explanation for the soldier would have been having a medic give him a boost, but he rocket jumped up to where I was AND I shot him 3 times in the face, I ran away to reload, and he was still alive...

Honestly, they took away the one thing the demoman was capable of doing that no other class was, attacking around corner effectively. Now it's a soldier that's slightly weaker, slightly faster, and shoots bouncing balls instead of rockets. If the difference was I my grenades exploded on contact if they missed the target, fantastic. Now you gave me a soldier with lobbing grenades instead of direct-shot, both have their own advantages...

To the people that say "you can still shoot around corners..." Yea but now the enemy has a good 3 seconds to run away. Woo I can scare them to death... "ZOMG I SAW GRENADES I BETTER RUN AWAY... ok I'm safe OH WAIT THERE THEY ARE AGAIN OH CRAP... "

I honestly shot 3 shots a heavy, 2 were critical, but instead of exploding on the "2nd bounce" they landed right in front of his feet and bounced off, he turn and ran away to his medic before they could explode... doing a little splash damage, but nothing to kill him like 2 direct crits would have. You have to aim at the sky to get direct-hits from farther than 15-20 feet.

Anyone have any idea why my server list isn't populating?

I'm getting "No internet games responded to the query", tried disabling my firewall, can't get it to show any servers..

I want to play :(

I'm getting "No internet games responded to the query", tried disabling my firewall, can't get it to show any servers..

That happens to me too, I just click "stop refresh" and then "refresh" again.

With the Demo's speed, hit points, and throwing distance he had it too easy. Good to balance the game out a little.

But I think this was kind of a dumb nerf to the demoman. He needed something done, don't get me wrong, but this isn't it. The primary grenades do like no splash damage; almost all of their damage came from the fact that the hit was a direct hit. They do like nothing if they blow up beneath the targets feet, but not quite on them. It would have been better to slow down the rate of fire or shrink the size of the grenade projectile hitboxes.

I'am really enjoying TF2 right now but I have a silly question. How can you go about changing your name in game? I just could not see it under options like I did while playing DOD. Thanks!

I'am really enjoying TF2 right now but I have a silly question. How can you go about changing your name in game? I just could not see it under options like I did while playing DOD. Thanks!

Your TF2 name and avatar is tied to your Steam Community username. To change your name/avatar, you have to edit these details on the Steam Community page :)

But I think this was kind of a dumb nerf to the demoman. He needed something done, don't get me wrong, but this isn't it. The primary grenades do like no splash damage; almost all of their damage came from the fact that the hit was a direct hit. They do like nothing if they blow up beneath the targets feet, but not quite on them. It would have been better to slow down the rate of fire or shrink the size of the grenade projectile hitboxes.

I think Valve did a half-ass "fix" on that one.

Maybe do less damage after the first bounce? Sounds good.

The point is, the Demoman was maybe 20% better than the other classes depending on who was using him, now he's 30-40% worse. I have no problem using the demoman effectively, but it's stupid to have grenades bounce on the ground literally 1-2 feet in front of them and have it bounce around at their feet before exploding... they have plenty of time to run away, the soldier's rockets explode on impact so there is no running from the (much greater) splash damage.

I think if they're going to take away direct-hit after first bounce, give me 6 shots instead of 4. So I have the ability to kill at least 2 people with 1 clip if I hit every single shot.

And PeeWee... you mean planting those at a corner and waiting for someone to run around? That's the only use of the sticky-bomb next to launching with it. The pipe-bomb launcher was his flat-out attack weapon, sticky bombs are the "tactical" weapon. They took away the one "special" ability the demoman had next to remote detonation.

blazestorm you can use them in middle of fight...especially if they are bunched up drop like 5 of em and blow em up

its almost no different from pipe bomb except 1. it does not bonuce 2. you can choose when to detonate

So you take the time to fire 5 shots while dodging enemys and hope they don't notice the glowing balls on the ground. Intelligent enemies can pick-up on that. or if you get a group of them not paying attention, you gotta get 5-6 shots off first.

Either way... they nerfed the demo-man too much imo.

So you take the time to fire 5 shots while dodging enemys and hope they don't notice the glowing balls on the ground. Intelligent enemies can pick-up on that. or if you get a group of them not paying attention, you gotta get 5-6 shots off first.

Either way... they nerfed the demo-man too much imo.

im pretty sure tf2 isnt 1v1 or 1v5 game but team game

A skilled player should be able to have fun by themselves... they took away the one thing that made the demoman unique.

Soldier <--- Fairly standard class, it's not meant to be unique
Medic <--- Can heal teammates... can go invincible with 1 teammate
Scout <--- Can double-jump, can cap points twice as fast, fastest class
Sniper <--- Has a scope, insta-kill on headshots (usually), and can charge up the shot
Spy <--- Can go cloaked, can disguise themselves as enemys, can plant sappers, can insta-kill backstab
Pyro <--- Can do damage after he's stopped attacking you, does insane damage pointblank..
Heavy <--- Huge clip, lots of damage, most health
Engineer <--- Can build cool stuff, sentrys, teleporters, whatever
Demoman <--- Only class with grenades... (Used to be able to attack around corners which no other class could do) but now they can't.

Every class had something unique.. excluding the soldier which was meant to be a "standard" soldier class. The Demoman is a soldier with bouncing rockets instead of flying ones.

And I just beat my demoman's records playing as a sniper... 37 Points, 25 kills in 1 run, 6600 damage... bah...

I like the idea of just reducing the damage that the demoman's grenades do after they bounce (but still hit a person)....cut the damage in half or something. Right now they seem pretty weak. You can still shoot the sticky grenades and blow them up in mid-air, but you have to wait a while between each shot then.

Fixed my problem with:

"Q: I cannot seem to get a list of available servers? Any ideas? Is there a new application I need to make an exception for with my firewall?
A: Had to allow an exception for - C:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\<name>\team fortress 2\hl2.exe"

Like every Steam internet game, when I refresh the server list, the ping of every server in the list ranges between 600 and 2000+. If I go into the server, though, my ping is invariably less than 70, and usually less than 30. I never understood wtf that was about, as it is only Steam that does this; every other multiplayer game shows the correct ping in the browser.

Do any of you guys know what the difference between the "Full" and "Expanded" High Dynamic Range Lighting mode is?

I just noticed that too. Setting HDR to "expanded" didn't seem like it did much.

I love the new Pyros!!!
They work great with Engineers in spy detection. I played dustbowl and the Pyros hung around and whenever a sentry was sapped, they would flame the whole area and there was a pile of spies by the end of the game. Great!

i think saying they took away everything that makes him unique is a bit of an exaggeration. they still have the ability to attack around a corner where no one else really can - i agree with you that it is severely gimped but the fact is it is still possible.

AFAIK: they are the only ones who can set a trap around a corner nobody on the opposing team can see before it ends up killing them. call that a "tactical" move or whatever you want blaze but its still unique.

despite me criticizing what you are saying i do agree that their change to the demoman was a bit harsh. reducing the damage it does after a bounce and then perhaps more after sequential bounces up to a max percentage seems like a better idea to me.

soldier is unique..unless you can name another class with a rocket launcher, lol.

That's 1 thing, otherwise it's fairly generic. The point was all of the classes had something that no other class had, now there is barely anything distinguishing the demoman from the soldier, gameplay wise...

Ok, so I played TF2 the other day now it doesn't show up in Steam, anyone else have this problem?

Oh man, the Pyro owns now.

He was about the only thing I felt needed a slight tweak, but he was still pretty useful before.

However, the first time I hopped on to a control point and lit up five guys, killing three of them and leaving the others to be finished off by my teammates who were storming the room, I was in love.

The two more hiding in the corners who I lit up and shotgunned directly after that, they were just a bonus :).

Well, I finally got my computer working again, so I decided I'd prepurchase Orange Box and see what all the fuss was about. Installed, played for an hour, deleted. This game is impressive but not at all my cup of tea and not at all fun for me.

There's a way to increase the texture quality beyond "High." If you type mat_picmip -3 in the console with sv_cheats 1 on, the textures will look considerably more detailed and sharper. Unfortunately, it requires sv_cheats 1 for any value less than 0 (default) and higher than 2 (positive values decrease texture quality). I've found that changing this doesn't appear to negatively affect frame rate in any noticeable way, although there were small quarter-second pauses occasionally. Hopefully Valve will change the restrictions on using this command.

Some screens:

Comparison .gif:
http://www.imagehaus.info/img400/9666/teleporterpicmipsnh4.gif

Source of information: HL2World.com and SteamPowered Forums.

Well, I finally got my computer working again, so I decided I'd prepurchase Orange Box and see what all the fuss was about. Installed, played for an hour, deleted. This game is impressive but not at all my cup of tea and not at all fun for me.

What maps did you play? 2Fort and Well are not very exciting to beginners. You really should play Dustbowl.

There's a way to increase the texture quality beyond "High." If you type mat_picmip -3 in the console with sv_cheats 1 on, the textures will look considerably more detailed and sharper. Unfortunately, it requires sv_cheats 1 for any value less than 0 (default) and higher than 2 (positive values decrease texture quality). I've found that changing this doesn't appear to negatively affect frame rate in any noticeable way, although there were small quarter-second pauses occasionally. Hopefully Valve will change the restrictions on using this command.

Some screens:

Comparison .gif:
http://www.imagehaus.info/img400/9666/teleporterpicmipsnh4.gif

Source of information: HL2World.com and SteamPowered Forums.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Back