• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Official Shuttle SB81P Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhuh! another one bites the shuttle. :) doh.

i'm going to go drink more vodka now. haha

/edit some hours later: god, i am so hung over...

speaking of god:

there is competition: write an essay that talks about religion, mystery, and womanhood. the winning entry was: "god, i'm pregnant - who could it be?!"
 
welp, its Monday... anyone find any additional stores that have them in stock? I've looked around some this morning but havn't seen any changes.
 
Still havn't found a place that has any..... CensusPC is sold out too. That leaves no known stores that have the SB81P in stock.

Also, is it just me or has newegg been down all day??
 
I would wait a few more days. Pricegrabber finally has it listed, but no one has it in stock.

Also, a member at Sudhian has written a short review found here.
 
codeflux said:
jesus jumping jack christ!!! $545?! they did the same shit with X800XT's! bloody bastards... (writing this from lynx - sorry if formatting is messed up) :)

it was $595 this morning...at this rate it should reach $400 by tonight
 
$545 is by all means no surprise for that system because the very few e-tailors that do actually have them in stock are all selling it at or around the $550 area which is nothing but highway robbery.

that being that, my butt will be waiting a while before I make the switch from my current SB75G2 model cuz there isnt no way in hell that I'd ever spend over $400 for any SFF system.
 
FYI, NewEgg now has them listed and in stock for $415. Just ordered one.

Also, ExcaliburPC has them back in stock as of 1:37 EST today.
 
utsava said:
FYI, NewEgg now has them listed and in stock for $415. Just ordered one.
cool, still doesn't show up when searching for SB81P
 
At some point in the past I signed up for an in-stock notification at ajump.com. Just got an email from them:

Dear Customer,
You are being contacted because you were interested in the Shuttle SB81P
Mini Barebone PC part number 3040123 on www.Ajump.com <http://www.Ajump.com>
10 pieces are expected to arrive on 9/29/2004.
Please place your orders today online at
http://www.ajump.com/ajump/product.asp?pf_id=3040123
the funny part is that i get a "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'" when I go to that page. :)

btw, i wouldn't worry about that lostcircuits thing too much - if you're planning to upgrade the CPU cooling, like i do. i'll be using AS5, and will change the fan to something better, and cut out the exhaust grill too to improve the airflow. besides, 65C is acceptable for 3.6E - these f.ckers run pretty hot. :)
 
codeflux said:
At some point in the past I signed up for an in-stock notification at ajump.com. Just got an email from them:


the funny part is that i get a "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'" when I go to that page. :)

btw, i wouldn't worry about that lostcircuits thing too much - if you're planning to upgrade the CPU cooling, like i do. i'll be using AS5, and will change the fan to something better, and cut out the exhaust grill too to improve the airflow. besides, 65C is acceptable for 3.6E - these f.ckers run pretty hot. :)

cool, let's go for it

you ordering from newegg?
 
update: NewEgg processed my order and its out the door already. Supposed to get here Thursday... Now I know why everyone likes NewEgg so much.... I can't wait.

Regarding the heat issues, acording to that article you can tweak the fan speeds vs. temperature to some extent.. so I'm sure I'll find a balance between noise and cooling....

Doom 3, Myst IV here I come......
 
so what are you guys (who just ordered this system) planning to run as far as video cards?

it doesnt look like you have that much of a choice in PCI-E video cards.
 
I plan on Getting a ASUS X800XT, I dont care if its 650$

I want to play HL2 nice (pending it comes out in my life time)


I wanted a 6800GT PCI-e but thats not commin out anytime soon
 
ozziegn said:
so what are you guys (who just ordered this system) planning to run as far as video cards?

it doesnt look like you have that much of a choice in PCI-E video cards.

luckily it has integrated video which should get me by until the 6600GT is available

I will probably get one from eVGA and use their step program to get a 6800GT later this year

wish I could afford this monster:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-517&depa=0

edit: looks like someone is getting it ;)
 
I'm planning on using the integrated graphics until I can get my hands on an x700 XT or a 6600GT. I havn't decided which one yet. Sure we all wish we could afford something better, but I'm not "hardcore" enough to warrant 500+ for a video card. Its the same reason I wont be getting the 3.6 GHz Extreme Edition.
 
EnderW said:
luckily it has integrated video which should get me by until the 6600GT is available

I will probably get one from eVGA and use their step program to get a 6800GT later this year

wish I could afford this monster:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-517&depa=0

edit: looks like someone is getting it ;)

I came this "-" close to ordering one of these SB81Ps last night along with a 3.0Ghz chip. the total wouldve been somewhere around $600 or so.

but I then got to thinking:

"you know Oz, why do you wanna spend 600 smackers on something that isnt going to give you 1/10th of the gaming power that you have now with your current system?"
(my current system is a SB75G2 with a 2.8C @ 3.4Ghz with an XT PE.)

I said that because for the time being, I would need to rely on the on-board video which according to some reviews has some very, very, very low benchmarking numbers. so for me, playing Doom 3 or Far Cry @ 1600 X 1200 wouldnt be an option.

and judging by the fact that good PCI-E cards like the 6800 GT or an XT PE are just as scarce as the AGP versions then of course that just made me make up my mind all that much more to wait a while.

after all, these prices of these systems can only go down in time so hopefully the good PCI-E cards will be out by then as well.
 
utsava said:
That was fast... glad I got mine too... comes tomorrow! whoo hoo!

where the fuck do you live? I don't even have a tracking number yet :(
 
EnderW said:
where the fuck do you live? I don't even have a tracking number yet :(

I live in NY... just about as far as you can get from NewEgg, but I paid an extra 10 bucks for 2 day FedEx and 2.99 for them to "Rush Order" it out the door the same day... I guess it was worth the 2.99 if they still havn't shipped yours out.

I knew it would be like 6+ days if I shipped it regular FedEx considering they are in CA.
 
utsava said:
I live in NY... just about as far as you can get from NewEgg, but I paid an extra 10 bucks for 2 day FedEx and 2.99 for them to "Rush Order" it out the door the same day... I guess it was worth the 2.99 if they still havn't shipped yours out.

I knew it would be like 6+ days if I shipped it regular FedEx considering they are in CA.

I thought newegg had a warehouse in NJ too

what kinda components are you puttin in it?
 
EnderW said:
I thought newegg had a warehouse in NJ too

what kinda components are you puttin in it?

They may... but this shipment originated from CA.

As far as components go...

I got a SONY DRU-710A duel layer DVD writer

will get in the next few days:
3.2 GHz P4
2x512 Kingston PC3200
WD SATA 250 GB HD

when available:
either x700 XT or 6600 GT, right now I'm leaning toward the ATI but I'm not 100% sure.
I'd love a x800, but I'm trying to save a few bucks.

I'd also love the new Sony 23 inch widescreen monitor.. but thats probably not going to happen (1800 bucks)
 
cool looks like my setup will look like this:

3.2 Prescott
2 x 512 MB Mushkin PC3500 Level II
NEC-2500A
74GB Raptor
2 x 250GB WD

and x700 or 6600GT when available, not sure which



edit:

just got my tracking number from newegg, should be here Oct 4, Monday
 
EnderW said:
2 x 512 MB Mushkin PC3500 Level II

Does the SB81P support PC3500? Isnt that faster than the max suported 400MHz?
What would be good performance vs. cost RAM to put in?
Forgive me, my knowledge of RAM is from like 5 years ago....last time I built a system.
 
the chipset supports DDR400 = PC3200. DDR433 = PC3500 - good if you want to tighten the memory timings, or if you want to overclock a little and don't want to relax memory timings, or just to coolness and/or peace of mind. i'll be using DDR500 = PC4000 RAM just because that's what I have now and i'll just reuse (2 x 512mb GeIL PC4000).
 
utsava said:
Does the SB81P support PC3500? Isnt that faster than the max suported 400MHz?
What would be good performance vs. cost RAM to put in?
Forgive me, my knowledge of RAM is from like 5 years ago....last time I built a system.

yeah I'm sure it supports it

I will only be running it at PC3200 anyway, because I want 2-2-2-5 timings
 
You know I really would like to get a Shuttle SB81P, but there's a little green wire swastika that is making me nervous:

Check out this picture of the SB81P:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/shuttle_sb81p/3c.shtml

Looks like some kind of afterthought/hack. Is this normal?
Should I wait for the second revision of this motherboard when the wiring is put back in the motherboard instead of on top of it? Is there some other decent explanation for this?

Thanks,
-flydef
 
oh shit never noticed that before... wouldn't call it a swastika, per se, though... you know, engineers do run out of room on them there PCBs... :)
 
Well, I got my SB81P last night. I don't yet have all the components, so nothing has been run as of yet... but my initial impressions are that it is quite nice! The front doors are a little flimsy/awkward, but I wouldn't say cheap. Everything else about this system is top notch. I like the attention to detail; fully color glossy manual, pre-installed cabling, snap in rail system, brushed aluminum looking feet... packaging was good, no sign of scuffs or scratches anywhere. To get a good feel for the size of the system: You can place a sheet of regular sized 8 1/2 x 11 paper perfectly on top of the metal casing.

As for those green wires in the pictures in the above post, I'll have to see if they are there in mine. I have a feeling those pictures are from a pre-production unit. I'll post back tonight with my observations.

Saturday theres a computer show here so I'll be stocking up on tax free RAM, HD, and processor and hopfully have this thing up and running by the end of the weekend.

Newbie question: When starting from scratch, is it necessary to boot from floppy to create HD partitions before installing XP? or can I just boot XP from the CD and go right from there?
 
utsava said:
Newbie question: When starting from scratch, is it necessary to boot from floppy to create HD partitions before installing XP? or can I just boot XP from the CD and go right from there?

no, you can just use the built-in partioning feature in the XP cd.

that is unless you're planning on using a RAID setup which in that case you might need to load the drivers from a floppy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top