Official Samsung 245BW Discussion Thread

just got mine and setup to my new rig that i also just got. its sweet as hell. so, did anyone use any of the calibrations mentioned in this thread? if so, give me the settings ....

The settings in this thread didn't really work out all too well for me. Maybe I'm just a complete colour noob, but it looked way off in my honest opinion.

(The ones listed earlier).

Nearly a week with my dual 245BW's now and I still love them.

The only gripe I have so far is it appears the my XBOX360 via the VGA cable I bought from DealExtreme.com is showing tearing in the few games I've tried out so far. Namely Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero 3.

Anyone know if this is common, and if not, a possible fix?

I have had my 245bw dual setup for over two months and I absolutely love it. My wife, on the other hand, has a one year old 225bw dual setup:D The only minor gripe are the viewing angles but since I am the sole and only user of 245bw it is all the same to me:D

I've spent probably more time testing and tweaking settings on this monitor than anyone on the planet. \

Hey thanks for the advice, I had this thing up to 80% brightness the first few days and my eyes were starting to hurt. Im going to try your settings later when my friend is done playing call of duty.

Try either

45brightness 75 contrast

or

45 brightness 76 contrast

then use Samsung magictune for calibration making sure your eye is level with the calibration box in the middle of the screen and you need to squint while doing it and adjust the sliders until the box in the middle blends with the rest of the shade on screen.

Don't use my color settings because they will be different with each monitor.

Also make sure your monitor isn't tilted back very much while doing the calibration, it should be almost flat.

Oh yea, whatever you do, don't install the 245bw driver, it installs a system color profile that sucks. If you installed it go to "device manager" then "monitors" and double click on it and "update driver", install plug and play monitor, reboot, use file search and search for "245b" and delete all the 245b .icm and .inf files.

Hey can anybody using this monitor who was some sort of power meter tell me how much power it consumes on various brightness settings, or at least on your optimum setting?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh yea, whatever you do, don't install the 245bw driver, it installs a system color profile that sucks. If you installed it go to "device manager" then "monitors" and double click on it and "update driver", install plug and play monitor, reboot, use file search and search for "245b" and delete all the 245b .icm and .inf files.

i think i installed this ... anyways, where exactly should i go in vista64 to change my settings? also, my video card has some color settings as well (evga nvidia 8800 gts) ... should i touch these settings?

If your color and gamma settings in movies/video don't look right with this monitor (which they probably wont), download this media player, it's like VLC media player (requires no codecs) except much better interface and usability: www.gomplayer.com

I have my Contrast and Saturation both set to 58 in Gom Player

Make sure to run Samsung Magictune for gamma calibration before adjusting in Gom Player. Your Gom Player settings may vary depending how well you are able to use magic tune for calibration and how much brightness you have your monitor set to.

i used roach's recommended settings on page one of this thread ... my brightness was set at 100 as well and looked crazy ... taking it down to 45 brightness and 76 contrast was a good move ... also use his color settings for red, green, and blue ... now i'm off to look at magictune. btw, i also download gomplayer but haven't played with it yet ...

i have noticed my movies look grainy when they are playing in cyberpower dvd player, or windows media player ... maybe the monitor settings, or the videocard (evga nvidia 8800 gts) ... anyways, its affecting my burning of movies as well as the copy looks exactly what it looks like when its playing in the two players ... it sucks and i can't burn these movies because they look so f'n grainy!!! :(

i don't think magictune is available for my video card ... not supported on their website, and i get an error message on startup ... .:sigh:.

here is the error message:

"This computer system does not support MagicTune. Click the OK button and click on the "Goto MagicTune Web Site" button to refer to the home page."

pretty lame error message.

Same, my videos look somewhat grainy, I also installed those drivers. This GOM player will fix everything ?

squares, do you have a similar build as mine?

quad core processor (q6600)
4 gb ram
windows vista ultimate 64bit
nvidia GeForce 8800 gts 512

anyways, why is this video coming out all grainy. its definitely affecting all of my burning ... :(

My monitor is working very well but I have a few questions. Is anyone else seeing all their grays with a hue of brown? Like Pure grays and blacks are slightly brownish. Is this due to the back light?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

rarxb, i'm not getting that on mine ... anyways anyone else noticing grainy, pixelated playback of dvds, videos on their machines?

might be video card settings ... i got an evga nvidia geforce 8800 gts 512

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone for their positive comments on this monitor. Without your help I would not have purchased this monitor a couple of days ago from Futureshop for $379Cdn + taxes! :D My previous monitor was a 17" Samsung 763B? CRT which has served me well but this behemoth is just plain silly in a good way.

My impressions thus far are positive due to no dead pixels and the price. Now all I have to do is fire up a nice RTS or RPG (the games I normally play) to see how good it really is.

Anyone played with the aspect ratio on this thing? I'm interested in how it handles playing a a game at lower resolution than native. I'm OK with letterboxing native, but stretching to non-native is a no-go for me.

Thanks!

- After getting your color and brightness levels correct, use Samsung Magictune Gamma Calibration utility or use a color calibration unit like Spyder 2, etc. (your monitor will not look good if you do not use one of these due to the way the stock settings are on this monitor)
Thanks for all the info! I have a sapphire radeon 2600 hd video card and i guess its not compatible with magictune? Natural color pro does work for me though! What do i do to set the gamma settings in this case? Also how do you get into the coarse and fine settings? Everytime i try to change them it says "not avaiable"

I think that the grainyness can not be fixed, since it is still a pc monitor. Perhaps you could try a 1080P .mkv file, or bluray-disc, but I dont think it will help a lot.

That`s what kept me from buying this monitor.

I'm running my 360 through the vga connection and for some odd reason im having a hard time centering my screen! I keep playing around with the coarse and horizontal settings but when i get it deceant on one game i'll switch to another and something gets cutoff either on the far left or far right of the screen! This also happens on the dashboard! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I noticed this monitor is now $399 at the local Sam's Club. Is that a good deal? I already have a 930B for the last few years and I don't like it much.

I saw this at Sam's yesterday, it was calibrated terribly, but I will probably pick it up next week. How does it perform on lower resolutions. I played with the gateway 24" and it looked fine a 1680x1050 when playing games. Has anyone directly compared this to the Gateway or the HP 24 models? Those are the only contenders, the shiny screen is a blessing and a curse though.

I'm running my 360 through the vga connection and for some odd reason im having a hard time centering my screen! I keep playing around with the coarse and horizontal settings but when i get it deceant on one game i'll switch to another and something gets cutoff either on the far left or far right of the screen! This also happens on the dashboard! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You have to set the resolution (Display settings in 360 dashboard) and set it to 1368x768 and then switch it to 1920x1080 but select NO instead of yes for confirmation.

Thanks a lot man it works perfect now! Whats the reason for this?

No problem. The monitors' maximum resolution is at 1920x1200 but the 360 only outputs at 1920x1080, so that's why the screen is cut off, there's not enough room for everything. As for how to fix it, I don't know why the monitor doesn't automatically scale it.

hey tickle how is the white on this monitor.
I looked at some other 24's over the weekend and I thought huh looks a little dull. Then I saw a samsung 226 and WTF thats white...all the others looked grey.
I got to work yesterday and all we have is dells at work 19-24 and only a new E207wfp looked white on the desktop all the others (11) looked grey..and of course you can't adjust much on them.

again I want WHITE lol
I need to find out if sams here has it for $399 and what time they open sat :)

Does Samsung use other panels besides their own???? like on the 226BW, samsung is really slipping.

I have a 245bw also. What sharpness would yall recommend? Default was 16 and I now have set at 24. And do yall have magic color enabled? I think the choices are Demo, Full, and Intelligent.

I'm still using this monitor. It's great for 1080p movies compared to my 2407wfp-hc, as for gaming and other misc stuff, not so much.

When using my PS3 on it, there are some major overscanning issues. Is there some hidden service menu that can help?

Hey all, I just purchased this monitor and I'm trying to take everyone's suggestions for settings. It seems everyone swears by Magictune software. I tried to download the copy on the disk that comes with the monitor, and that didn't work because I am running Vista 64bit. I tried to download the software, but Samsung's website does not seem operational. Does anyone know where else I can get the 64bit version of this program? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back