Official PS5 Thread

I got a PS5 yesterday and I'm not impressed. I probably expected too much.
But I fired up Rocket League and the game was slooooooooooooooow loading. Probably faster than PS4 but nowhere as fast as my PC.
Weren't they advertizing like 9000mb/s transfer speeds? I have a lowly 2000mb/s SSD in my PC.

Also the customization is "meh". If I remember correctly, you could buy avatars and customize themes on PS4. Where the fuck is that on PS5?

And the games are FUCKING EXPENSIVE. €80+ per game like Returnal and Demon's Souls. LOL NOPE. Gonna wait on Black Friday.
Steam is 30% tax on games and the games are still €40-€60. What is Sony asking for? 75%? The prices are like, 30% more expensive on Sony store.
I know they need to make some money because they are probably losing on every console, but COME ON. Greedy Japanese bastards.

And the games don't look THAT good. To me, PS5 feels like a downgrade compared to PS4 Pro.
Except the looks and the gamepad, I like those a lot.
At least it looks good in my living room which is mostly white and wood colored.

Last edited:
But I fired up Rocket League and the game was slooooooooooooooow loading. Probably faster than PS4 but nowhere as fast as my PC.
Weren't they advertizing like 9000mb/s transfer speeds? I have a lowly 2000mb/s SSD in my PC.

Also the customization is "meh". If I remember correctly, you could buy avatars and customize themes on PS4. Where the fuck is that on PS5?
And the games are FUCKING EXPENSIVE. €80+ per game like Returnal and Demon's Souls. LOL NOPE. Gonna wait on Black Friday.
Steam is 30% tax on games and the games are still €40-€60. What is Sony asking for? 75%? The prices are like, 30% more expensive on Sony store.
I know they need to make some money because they are probably losing on every console, but COME ON. Greedy Japanese bastards.

And the games don't look THAT good. To me, PS5 feels like a downgrade compared to PS4 Pro. Except the looks and the gamepad, I like those a lot.
Rocket League on PS5 is not a native PS5 game. it is PS4 code in backwards compatibility mode, with a couple of patches for 120hz, etc. Addtionally, the developers have been pretty vocal about how busy they have been with different versions and didn't have time for a native PS5 version. In fact, they initially said there wouldn't even be 120hz support, claiming it would require a fully native port. But they released a 120hz patch a month or two ago.

They didn't say it directly but due to that info (Its PS4 code in BC mode)----I imagine the game is not utilizing PS5's hardware accelerated storage features. and is instead, running storage encryption/decryption and compression/decompression, etc, on the CPU. And the PS5's CPU is a 3.5ghz Zen 2. So that's why your PC is doing it faster, its a CPU limited task, without the hardware accelerated features.

P.S. they did not claim 9000mb/s speeds for the SSD, exactly. Raw throughput is 5.5 GB/s potential. However, if the hardware accelerated features are used, it has potential for 8-9 GB/s (compressed) throughput.
this is why people are seeing basically no difference with secondary drives which are around 5.5GB/s. Most games don't use the hardware features, yet.

Last edited:
Rocket League on PS5 is not a native PS5 game. it is PS4 code in backwards compatibility mode, with a couple of patches for 120hz, etc. Addtionally, the developers have been pretty vocal about how busy they have been with different versions and didn't have time for a native PS5 version. In fact, they initially said there wouldn't even be 120hz support, claiming it would require a fully native port. But they released a 120hz patch a month or two ago.

They didn't say it directly but due to that info (Its PS4 code in BC mode)----I imagine the game is not utilizing PS5's hardware accelerated storage features. and is instead, running storage encryption/decryption and compression/decompression, etc, on the CPU. And the PS5's CPU is a 3.5ghz Zen 2. So that's why your PC is doing it faster, its a CPU limited task, without the hardware accelerated features.

P.S. they did not claim 9000mb/s speeds for the SSD, exactly. Raw throughput is 5.5 GB/s potential. However, if the hardware accelerated features are used, it has potential for 8-9 GB/s (compressed) throughput.
this is why people are seeing basically no difference with secondary drives which are around 5.5GB/s. Most games don't use the hardware features, yet.
That explains it :)
Still, the console need more native games. It's been a year almost.

The drive speed really shines through with Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank. Shine through in that you'll never encounter any kind of loading screen or hitching after the game boots.

To be fair, a lot of PC games could be that way. I often play games on my PC where the loading screen disappears almost instantaneously, but that is the issue when you have to design for the lowest common denominator with the most common having been gen 8 consoles.

Reactions: DPI
like this

And the games don't look THAT good. To me, PS5 feels like a downgrade compared to PS4 Pro.
Except the looks and the gamepad, I like those a lot.
At least it looks good in my living room which uses mostly white and wood colored.

You just missed a sale on Returnal on the PSN store. It was $50 (€43) for the past couple weeks on there. The PSN store has decent sales every few weeks as well, most of which correlate with Steam sales from what I've seen too.

You just missed a sale on Returnal on the PSN store. It was $50 (€43) for the past couple weeks on there. The PSN store has decent sales every few weeks as well, most of which correlate with Steam sales from what I've seen too.
I'm not sure what sales trends are, across the Ocean. But, both Returnal and Demon's Souls have been $49.99 a few times, over the past few months. Returnal is $49.99 on Amazon, right now.

I'm not sure what sales trends are, across the Ocean. But, both Returnal and Demon's Souls have been $49.99 a few times, over the past few months. Returnal is $49.99 on Amazon, right now.

Yeah, often I'll see sales on PSN correlate with physical/B&M game sales too. I prefer to buy all my games digital too, so I just wishlist the games I want on PSN and wait until it goes on sale for whatever I set my price threshold to for that game.

I live in Sweden, the prices here are rather high. I saw Returnal on sale a couple of days ago but the day after I read the review I was ready to pull the trigger, but the sale was over.
Amazon Sweden has no sale on those games.

Anyway, a bit of a side question. Does anyone know of a HDMI 2.1 splitter that will let me mirror screen from PS5? I want 4k/120hz on my living room and bedroom.
So, 1xHDMI in, 2xHDMI out. But it has to be HDMI 2.1 for 4k/120hz.
I can't seem to find anything.

I live in Sweden, the prices here are rather high. I saw Returnal on sale a couple of days ago but the day after I read the review I was ready to pull the trigger, but the sale was over.
Amazon Sweden has no sale on those games.

Anyway, a bit of a side question. Does anyone know of a HDMI 2.1 splitter that will let me mirror screen from PS5? I want 4k/120hz on my living room and bedroom.
So, 1xHDMI in, 2xHDMI out. But it has to be HDMI 2.1 for 4k/120hz.
I can't seem to find anything.
This, maybe. There are a lot of conditionals in the product description, though. No VRR, Atmos, or DTS-X support. It says it supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master, HDR10 and Dolby Vision though. I don't think VRR support has been added to the PS5 yet, anyway.

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-1x2-hdmi-splitter.html

Why i've been ranting about these cross gen releases. They're barely scratching the surface of the ps5 in order to make games run easier on ps4. Sony needs to drop that crap asap. Microsoft is in an even bigger pickle, i suspect there will be alot of "streaming" games like the switch on the series S. Some really pro-business anti-gamer decisions have been made the last few years.

Why i've been ranting about these cross gen releases. They're barely scratching the surface of the ps5 in order to make games run easier on ps4. Sony needs to drop that crap asap. Microsoft is in an even bigger pickle, i suspect there will be alot of "streaming" games like the switch on the series S. Some really pro-business anti-gamer decisions have been made the last few years.
anti-gamer to.....keep making games for the console that everybody actually has? Its a shit situation we are all in but....record amounts of people were out of work last year and parts of this year-----couldn't afford to buy a PS5.
You can't just go and buy one, anyway, due to supply issues. The ones which you can buy are often forcing you into a bundle which costs an extra $300-----or the price is just marked up. Now Best Buy is making you purchase a $200 membership to be allowed the "chance" to buy a PS5....

....meanwhile, 100 million people have Playstation 4's. It makes sense to keep doing cross-gen games for awhile. Maybe a longer while than usual.

I'm absolutely fine with it, as long as the PS5 versions get a little extra gravy on top. I'm currently playing FF7 Remake on PS5 and....it looks and feels great. Quality graphics, unwavering 60fps.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I'm absolutely fine with it, as long as the PS5 versions get a little extra gravy on top. I'm currently playing FF7 Remake on PS5 and....it looks and feels great. Quality graphics, unwavering 60fps.
https://twistedvoxel.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-gets-unofficial-60-fps-patch-on-ps4/

Something the pro can already do :(

Imagine if it was ps5 native, might even be open world at that point. Enjoy your narrow set pathways of occlusion, apparently that is the future.

https://twistedvoxel.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-gets-unofficial-60-fps-patch-on-ps4/

Something the pro can already do :(

Imagine if it was ps5 native, might even be open world at that point. Enjoy your narrow set pathways of occlusion, apparently that is the future.
ehh, kinda?

Based on what I can find, the crack for the pro version of FF7R sets a dynamic res of 900p - 1080p. I haven't been able to find footage of it, to see what the actual framerate is like. I did find base PS4 footage which the crack sets to 720p and the framerate is....definitely not a locked 60.

The PS5 version has much better lighting and higher quality shading. And you can choose between a true 4K mode @ 30fps, or a 60fps mode which is a bit higher than 1440p (2688x1512). As I said, they put some extra gravy on top. Its a clear upgrade. Which is what I mean. They didn't simply dump the game onto PS5. They took some extra care to utilize the extra power.

Last edited:
ehh, kinda?

Based on what I can find, the crack for the pro version of FF7R sets a dynamic res of 900p - 1080p. I haven't been able to find footage of it, to see what the actual framerate is like. I did find base PS4 footage which the crack sets to 720p and the framerate is....definitely not a locked 60.

The PS5 version has much better lighting and higher quality shading. And you can choose between a true 4K mode @ 30fps, or a 60fps mode which is a bit higher than 1440p (2688x1512). As I said, they put some extra gravy on top. Its a clear upgrade. Which is what I mean. They didn't simply dump the game onto PS5. They took some extra care to utilize the extra power.
Right but that's a ps4 game with a patch. I'm talking this gen games, they are hamstringing them to work with previous gen consoles. Look at the GOW trailer. Occlusion everywhere in the gameplay.

Why is this steep arse cliffs here, oh yea, the ps4 can't render that much and load the assets necessary. Bleh, go away ps4.

Right but that's a ps4 game with a patch. I'm talking this gen games, they are hamstringing them to work with previous gen consoles. Look at the GOW trailer. Occlusion everywhere in the gameplay.
Occlusion?----is it only "next-gen" if its open world, now?

I'm ready for the PS4 to hit the backburner, too. When new systems come out, it's normal for them to dial back development for the older ones. It's been like that since the Atari era. This whole cross-gen thing is why so many PS5 and XSX games look like last-gen games running at better framerates. I love that 60fps for older games is a thing, but I'm ready for new games that have improved visuals beyond that, too. They don't have to abandon the PS4, but they can start sunsetting it just like they did with the PS1, PS2, PS3, etc. after new systems hit.

I'm teetering on the edge of selling my PS5... must... make it... to February...
Unless you need the money and/or don't game in general anymore, I don't see why you'd sell. I've barely touched my Series X compared to my Switch, PS5, or PC, but I'm not selling it just because I like options and variety. But by all means, sell it to a Family/kid for Christmas if you can, who would appreciate it much more considering how hard they are to get still.

Last edited:
Unless you need the money and/or don't game in general anymore, I don't see why you'd sell. I've barely touched my Series X compared to my Switch, PS5, or PC, but I'm not selling it just because I like options and variety. But by all means, sell it to a Family/kid for Christmas if you can, who would appreciate it much more considering how hard they are to get still.
I've been purposly segregating my systems to types of games so they both get lots of use. My ps5 is my single player rpg/adventure games and my Xbox is my multiplayer shooter game system.

This lets me keep my ps5 on the 100" projector with good surround sound and get lost in an rpg in full relax mode. I Keep my Xbox on my computer desk with my high refresh rate monitor and good headphones where I can get right into the game and focus.

Now that crossplay is a thing with all the major shooters it makes no difference for player populations which was the only reason I was buying mp games on the playstation to begin with.

I've been purposly segregating my systems to types of games so they both get lots of use. My ps5 is my single player rpg/adventure games and my Xbox is my multiplayer shooter game system.

This lets me keep my ps5 on the 100" projector with good surround sound and get lost in an rpg in full relax mode. I Keep my Xbox on my computer desk with my high refresh rate monitor and good headphones where I can get right into the game and focus.

Now that crossplay is a thing with all the major shooters it makes no difference for player populations which was the only reason I was buying mp games on the playstation to begin with.

At my previous house, I had a 120" FHD Projector setup with my PS4 Pro and other consoles at the time and it was cool at first, but I found it was harder to make out smaller details sometimes (objects in the distance, certain HUD elements, etc.) and when I sat a bit closer to see them, I got tired of moving my neck to follow and track things on the screen. I think the issue was as much with my eyes and contacts/glasses prescription than it was with the clarity of the projector. So I moved all my consoles to my desktop with a 43" curved 4K monitor/TV and it was much better and more immersive IMO only sitting a couple feet from it. I have since switched that TV/monitor out with a 34" ultrawide though to get G-sync and 120Hz support, and am now waiting for LG to release a desk-friendly size (43" max) OLED TV/monitor so that I can enjoy the same120 Hz and VRR features I have on my C9 Living room TV, on a larger monitor on my desk with HDMI 2.1.

At my previous house, I had a 120" FHD Projector setup with my PS4 Pro and other consoles at the time and it was cool at first, but I found it was harder to make out smaller details sometimes (objects in the distance, certain HUD elements, etc.) and when I sat a bit closer to see them, I got tired of moving my neck to follow and track things on the screen. I think the issue was as much with my eyes and contacts/glasses prescription than it was with the clarity of the projector. So I moved all my consoles to my desktop with a 43" curved 4K monitor/TV and it was much better and more immersive IMO only sitting a couple feet from it. I have since switched that TV/monitor out with a 34" ultrawide though to get G-sync and 120Hz support, and am now waiting for LG to release a desk-friendly size (43" max) OLED TV/monitor so that I can enjoy the same120 Hz and VRR features I have on my C9 Living room TV, on a larger monitor on my desk with HDMI 2.1.
Ya, that's precisely why I stopped using it for fps games. It's got an awesome wow factor but when you need to spot a camper in a bush 100m away it's way to hard to see and react quickly on such a large screen. I noticed my performance in fps games went way up when I switched to my 120hz monitor lol.

I still like my projector for single.player games though, I just kinda stretch out on the couch and enjoy the experience.

Starting tomorrow (October 27th), Gamestop will have PS5 version of Deathloop for $39.99 new. free shipping.

I've never understood people who game on huge screens. Especially an FPS like battlefield. To each their own, but my experience was the same as yours.

I've never understood people who game on huge screens. Especially an FPS like battlefield. To each their own, but my experience was the same as yours.
It's easier to pinpoint targets on a larger screen since they're comprised of larger pixels. People playing on monitors will sometimes play in a stretched 4:3 resolution to make targets appear wider. It's honestly the oddest thing I've ever seen.

It's easier to pinpoint targets on a larger screen since they're comprised of larger pixels. People playing on monitors will sometimes play in a stretched 4:3 resolution to make targets appear wider. It's honestly the oddest thing I've ever seen.
My problem was always peripherals. Hard to see people on the whole screen when it’s super large.

Missed the first part of it, but the State of Play was pretty lame.

This gem caught my eye though, lol.

Inb4 comments and thumbs ratings get disabled. 😅

Missed the first part of it, but the State of Play was pretty lame.

This gem caught my eye though, lol.

Inb4 comments and thumbs ratings get disabled. 😅

That's pretty atrocious. And the dislike to like ratio agrees.

State of play, awful. All cross gen meh. That isometric game that's out on PC i'll definitely buy and play though. But still underwhelming.

Deathverse seems kinda cool, but It's only going to ever be as good as the community you're playing with/against, though.
Death's Door has seemingly been coming soon forever, but I'm definitely going to be grabbing that one.

Yeah - I'm getting the feeling it's going to be a slim holiday season for PS5.

Death's Door does look great, and I'll for sure be grabbing a copy of that. Just not sure if I'll grab it for Switch or PS5.

If you have a disc version you can just buy the game used and resell it..... that's a lot cheaper than buying a steam game.

Dude I loaded up Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade the other day and I was literally in the game within 3 seconds. The load times if they are actually programmed properly for PS5 is very fast. Far Cry 6 also loads very fast as does Resident Evil Village. It honestly takes longer to get past the stupid splash screens then it does to get into the game once you are at the main menu screens.

So I have a lame thing to ask... Would anybody here who is 30+ want to add me as a "friend?" I got a PS5 the other day, but I have no "friends" to play with on PlayStation. All my "friends" are on Xbox. I mostly play at night during the weekdays. I'm 35, married, two dogs, college-educated professional... just looking to kill some time and maybe make some new friends. I've been on these forums since 2004 and I've always figured folks around here are more mature and chill then any other place I visit online.

My games (I have some digital games too):

• Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War
  • Days Gone (PS4 Disc)
  • Demon’s Souls
  • Far Cry 6
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising
  • The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4 Disc)
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4 Disc)
  • Resident Evil: Origins Collection (PS4 Disc)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4 Disc)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PS4 Disc)
  • Resident Evil 7 (PS4 Disc)
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Terminator Resistance Enhanced (PS4 Disc) (UK version)
  • Tormented Souls

I haven't touched my PS5 in a long time. I've been playing almost exclusively on PC for the better part of the year.

Back