Official *Post Your DSLR Shots*

antok86

[H]F Junkie
post your DSLR pictures and model of your camera and maybe even the settings used

RebelXT (5D coming real soon. But buying lots of glass)
24-105L f/4 IS - (on my camera 85% of the time)
70-200L f/2.8
17-35 2.8
50mm f/1.8
18-200mm

As for settings, there is no one setting because that depends on shots. I use M 90% of the time. AV the other 10%. Also I shoot strickly raw, so I can change it later on without destroying the picture...

OFFICIAL **POST YOUR DSLR SHOTS**

Please do not SHOUT in thread titles.

Canon Rebel xt
18-55mm lense that came with the camera
ISO 200
1/250 (it did slip to 160 for some shots.)
Manual focus at all times
Shot in Raw the whole time and edited white balence with Realshooter 2006
I am an amauter at best I never took classes I never did a lot of picture taking as a kid except a few times in high school (which is pictured below) where a librarian (hey it gave me access to the computers) asked me to take some pictures outside for her. I came back with 10 pix and she told me that most were really good. To believe her I don't know but I just walked around with this borrowed camera today for 3 hours in Chicago whatever I walked that I saw I took a picture and then moved on I am not one to take 20 shots just to find 1 good one I take 1 or two and then I am on to the next spot I see.

Tell me what to post, and I can post. I have too many pics....

so you have the rebel xt wid kit lens?...thats also known as 350D. correct?....i was looking into the nikon d50 but for 50 bucks more i can get the canon. What do u think?....hows the camera?

antok86 said:
so you have the rebel xt wid kit lens?...thats also known as 350D. correct?....i was looking into the nikon d50 but for 50 bucks more i can get the canon. What do u think?....hows the camera?

wid=wide or with?
If you mean with (which i am pretty sure you are) then it's great for beginner semi pro work. It really gets you close to seeing what is possible with camera's. A lot of the stuff I did came out very clean and very sharp. The only thing you can't expect out of this camera is macro shots. I keep trying but the lens wont focus close. I am no professor at this I haven't taken any classes or studied this kind of stuff I just had a good eye. I haven't tried a Nikon SLR but I hear they are coming out with a 10mp DSLR in 2 weeks so it would probably be a good idea to wait. I sadly was only borrowing this camera I hope to get one soon though.

Anyhow it really dosn't matter to much at the end of the day it's the operator that has to to make the pix look nice not the camera especially when dealing with such a value line of product (well for DSLR's that is) it's all about your shot. You can change white balence later you can alter saturation and all that junk later so buy whatever might have less automatic settings I am not sure about a lot of the stuff like apperture or any of that stuff so i am not sure if Canon is good the best at manual settings for that but I know you can adjust the f stop pretty well. I also know you have a wide range of settings for apperture I just don't know how it actually affects the pix.

Right now I have the problem that I take the very same framed shot all day long and it pisses me off. People I talked to say my pix look like they could be on post cards which is kind of like a back handed complement I want to get better but it's a hobbie I am not going to take any classes for it I am just going to hopefully think up new angles to shoot at and find new arrangement of items. If I keep shooting the dumb "infinite street" shot then it's going to get boring.

Nikon D70s with a PROMASTER 18-200 Digital XR EDO Aspherical Auto Focus Zoom Lens

Just got the camera a few days ago so still playing around with settings will post some pictures in this thread soon have some soft ones in hobbies thread

Nikon D1H
50 1.8 * f/4
1/1250 at ISO 200
No flash.
JPEG compression really killed the detail in her fur :(

Here's a few, more at www.pbase.com/egaertner/

I've got a Rebel XT. Have the 17-55 kit lens, but I generally shoot with my Canon 28-135mm IS. Probably going to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 to play around with soon. Also looking at the 10-22mm or 17-40mm Canon lenses for Alaska next summer. For you newer guys out there, I recently picked up a Hoya SMC Polarizer, and it's incredible the difference the thing can make to the image in sunlight. It's really a must-have.

As far as settings go, just check the PBase for exif. But I tend to try and shoot mildly stopped down (f/8 - f/10), unless I'm going for the minimal DOF. AV mode mostly, unless it's M. I'm transitioning over from JPEG+Raw to exclusive RAW shooting.

Also, I agree with the prior posters comment, the small jpeg compression just doesnt do justice to the detail in some cases.

60875452.IMG_4580_Pbase.jpg

55308445.blue_waves.jpg

59752513.goose.jpg

57305726.juggler.jpg

61635961.4mA7T6Rq.jpg

Nice thanks for the tips although i must admit getting new lenses is pretty tough on the wallet :)

n64man120 said:
Here's a few, more at www.pbase.com/egaertner/

I've got a Rebel XT. Have the 17-55 kit lens, but I generally shoot with my Canon 28-135mm IS. Probably going to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 to play around with soon. Also looking at the 10-22mm or 17-40mm Canon lenses for Alaska next summer. For you newer guys out there, I recently picked up a Hoya SMC Polarizer, and it's incredible the difference the thing can make to the image in sunlight. It's really a must-have.

As far as settings go, just check the PBase for exif. But I tend to try and shoot mildly stopped down (f/8 - f/10), unless I'm going for the minimal DOF. AV mode mostly, unless it's M. I'm transitioning over from JPEG+Raw to exclusive RAW shooting.

Also, I agree with the prior posters comment, the small jpeg compression just doesnt do justice to the detail in some cases.

60875452.IMG_4580_Pbase.jpg

55308445.blue_waves.jpg

59752513.goose.jpg

57305726.juggler.jpg

61635961.4mA7T6Rq.jpg

very nice pictures

psychoace said:
Nice thanks for the tips although i must admit getting new lenses is pretty tough on the wallet :)

I know what you mean. <333333 Canon Triple rebates ;)

I suggest a Circular Polarizing filter for those car shots...would remove those bright reflections....

Ah, thanks - actually for the purpose they serve (my car detailing business) I want the bright reflections. That said, I have been wondering how to eliminate that for personal photos. I appreciate it. :)

Rebel XT with kit lense on the Scotland pics
Tamron 75-300mm on the sports

eileandonan.jpg

pic6.JPG

vir2006-2.jpg

flr.jpg

preds4.jpg

JackieO said:
Ah, thanks - actually for the purpose they serve (my car detailing business) I want the bright reflections. That said, I have been wondering how to eliminate that for personal photos. I appreciate it. :)
be forewarned, don't cheap out on it, or it could do more harm than good...expect to pay a heft price for a 3mm thick piece of treated glass :rolleyes: ridiculous.

A couple of mine from tripping around up here. Using my D50 and, my Nikor 55-200mm and, my new Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-22.
83795575-L.jpg

83795574-L.jpg

83795573-L.jpg

83795569-L.jpg

83795567-L.jpg

how is that 55-200 you have....I'm looking to buy either that or the Nikon 70-300 to tide me over till I can get a 70-200 f2.8 VR and/or a 300 f4

I like the 55-200, it made a good stop gap till I picked up the Tamron 28-300 yesterday for around $250. The Tamron is slow though. You might consider the Tamron till you get the VR or, consider the DX like I do, as a general abuse lense.

blech...I hate Tamron... I stick with Nikon and Sigma glass....

Ok i lied..Tamrons "SP" (Super Performance) Line look OK, but I'd take the equivalent Nikon or Sigma any day....

Im not really a fan either but , it is cheap and, I can beat it up with out feeling bad. I also picked up a Hoya Intensifier Filter so, far I like it Brings out the colors. The Bull snake pic is shot with that filter. And the beauty of it is, it cost $25. :D

Rebel XT
17-40L
50 f/1.4
200L

I have a TON more pics, these were some I had posted before in another forum.

froggy9xm.jpg

Canon 350D is my camera of choice:

These are pics taken during my trip to Cape Cod a few weekends ago. I was most psyched about my shot which shows the Milky Way...pretty impressive for no tracking whatsoever if you ask me. The majority of the other shots were taken in Manual mode, postprocessed from RAW to JPG using Photoshop and Bibble Pro.

will i actually see the differnce in the pictures between a nikon d50 kit lens and a rebel xt with a kit lens?....

Unless you are doing something like blowing your pictures up to 20x30 prints, then no, you won't notice the difference (assuming you take the pictures properly and they are in proper focus, exposure, etc.)

MJCfromCT said:
Unless you are doing something like blowing your pictures up to 20x30 prints, then no, you won't notice the difference (assuming you take the pictures properly and they are in proper focus, exposure, etc.)
i wont be blowing them up that big....so it wouldnt be worth the extra 50 bucks and get the rebel xt?

Well, a Canon fan like myself will tell you that the Canon is better...a Nikon fan will tell you the Nikon is better...There are many reviews out there that compare the Canon and the Nikon, but in all honesty the 350D's main competitor is the D70, not the D50, and IMO the Canon is better than the D70.

The canon has a better sensor, and the nikon has a better kit lens. The nikon also has a majenta bias.

They are both great.

Rare1 said:
The canon has a better sensor, and the nikon has a better kit lens. The nikon also has a majenta bias.

They are both great.
majenta bias?

antok86 said:
majenta bias?
meaning there will be a slight magenta color cast, SOMETIMES...not all the time....easily fixable in post processing if there is....

Rare1 said:

They are both great.

By this statement I'd have to say the canon is a no-brainer, as you can replace a lens alot easier than a sensor :x That being said, there's other factors and subtle differences between the two as well. I've tried them both and prefer the XT's form and feel.

n64man120 said:
By this statement I'd have to say the canon is a no-brainer, as you can replace a lens alot easier than a sensor :x That being said, there's other factors and subtle differences between the two as well. I've tried them both and prefer the XT's form and feel.
Actually camera bodies are more easily replaced than is glass. Once you invest in 2 to 4 good lense you are pretty much commited to that manufacturer. You will also have the glass longer than the body, in the case of Dslrs'. Bodies are cheap to replace @ $600 to $1700.

Sometimes that Magenta overcast can look nice though Joves pictures above with the skull's look pretty sweet.

Joves said:
Actually camera bodies are more easily replaced than is glass. Once you invest in 2 to 4 good lense you are pretty much commited to that manufacturer. You will also have the glass longer than the body, in the case of Dslrs'. Bodies are cheap to replace @ $600 to $1700.

While what you are saying is completely correct, I was responding with regards to the comment that the Nikon had a better kit lens. Yes it's easier to replace a body than a collection of high-end glass, but it's not easier to replace a body, than replacing the kit lens with a new one.

Your right kit lenses I consider throw aways, for the most part. I use them when I dont want to damage the good stuff.

Back