[Official] [H] 16G of ram thread

There's one guy around here with 32GB, actually... with a 28GB RAMdisk on it. :D

I'm not going to question why someone would have such a large amount of RAM (my friends say my 8GB is overkill). What I will ask is how many non-server motherboards will actually take this much memory?

A quick NewEgg search reveals 65 choices in the Intel section, surprising! Not only that, but a lot of "budget" boards sporting DDR2-667 (ECS, JetWay) claim 16GB support and cost under $100. My abit IP35 Pro will only take 8GB...weird. Of course I've never been over 67% RAM usage either so whether I would actually use 16GB RAM is questionable since I don't use 8GB fully either.

I'm guessing those with this much RAM (or plans for this much RAM) probably do a lot of work with virtual machines/CAD/Photoshop/everything listed all at once.

Is that you? :) Also is the RAMdisk for the OS?

I wish. :D

I've built a few 16GB boxes for some service bureaus this year, but nobody was willing to spring for a monster 32GB box, at least so far but the holidays are coming. :)

My next "Godbox" I'm planning on tossing together next year will have 16GB in it, definitely, so if this thread is still around (likely) I'll post the specs at that time.

I'm guessing those with this much RAM (or plans for this much RAM) probably do a lot of work with virtual machines/CAD/Photoshop/everything listed all at once.

Yep, that's a big part of it, including 3D rendering which really sucks RAM down like a fluffer sucking... well, you figure it out. :D

This is going to be an exclusive club. Kyle doesn't even have 16gb

AutoCAD and 3D rendering/design do use a lot of memory, so that's probably where the 16GB helps.

I don't think a single PC game exist, at maximum settings and resolution, that will take your system over even 4GB.

Why is gaming the only thing some people ever think a PC is for? :rolleyes:

Hell man, I'd install some games on a RAMdisk if I had 16GB... if I even played games, that is. In the past when I was a gamer I'd have Quake 3 installed on a RAMdisk and yes, it was ridiculously fast in terms of level load times. No matter how many people were playing with me either online or at a LAN party, I can assure you, I was always the first person on a map, most times by several seconds which gave me a very distinct advantage over the competition.

I was already on the rocket launcher or whatever the most powerful weapon on the given level was before the competition even spawned... ;)

Why is gaming the only thing some people ever think a PC is for? :rolleyes:

I don't think those same people think that gaming is the only thing a PC is for, but they thing that gaming is what stresses PCs the most (even though it may not be true).

Hell man, I'd install some games on a RAMdisk if I had 16GB... if I even played games, that is. In the past when I was a gamer I'd have Quake 3 installed on a RAMdisk and yes, it was ridiculously fast in terms of level load times. No matter how many people were playing with me either online or at a LAN party, I can assure you, I was always the first person on a map, most times by several seconds which gave me a very distinct advantage over the competition.

I was already on the rocket launcher or whatever the most powerful weapon on the given level was before the competition even spawned... ;)

You must have spent a good bit of money on your PC in 1999! Quake 3 was at least the size of a CD right? So you had about a 1GB of RAM or did you lighten Q3 and the OS (98/98SE I assume) and somehow get by on 512MB? Either way it sounds expensive.

EDIT: Will there ever be 8GB x 2 kits for DDR2? Or will it pass over to DDR3+?

If my mobo would support it, id have it.
Im not swapping out my beloved xbx2 to goto 16GB

16gb of RAM is a waste, you cant even fully utilize 4 gig

*Runs Photoshop x64, F@H SMP, F@H GPU, 3ds max, Rhino, Firefox, Outlook, anti-virus, iTunes, Trillian, FileZilla FTP, RocketDock, Logitech, Hamachi, Xfire and render jobs all at once*

:rolleyes: Maybe you can't use 4GB, but there are certainly people around here who can. I don't think my list would fill 4GB, but throw in a virtual machine or two and watch your RAM disappear.

16gb of RAM is a waste, you cant even fully utilize 4 gig

Apparently Mr or Mrs wildkatz84 has never seen a PC maxed out hardware-wise and then maxed out software-wise and on top of that maxed out CPU-wise. :) There are a lot of us out here that can and do make use of 8, 16, and yes even 32GB of RAM on a nearly daily basis.

When people stop looking at PCs as simple gaming or email or websurfing devices, and look past that superficial stuff, amazing things can start to happen.

What, do you think all the machines at Pixar that make those wicked evil cool animated movies are tapped out at 4GB of RAM? Please... 16GB is the norm for those, or even more... GM and car manufacturers design vehicles on machines that come with 32GB or more from the OEM these days.

16GB is a waste... BLASPHEMER!!! SACRILEGE!!! ;)

16 GB here, had it for over 2 years, Dual 5160s and Dual FX4500s in SLI in the box.

I'm on 8 now, and planning to go to 16 as soon as I can afford it (which will be quite a while I think. It's DDR2 ECC Registered). Planned use is VMs and RAMDisk for games install.

i only have 8GB, so i can't really install games on a ram drive.. but does anyone have tweaks i could do to improve my system????

thx

I have 16 gb in a white frys bag, it doesn't really seem to be helping my PCs performance I think I need to buy a wifi adapter for it

i have 6, about to jump to 10. 2gbs for RAMDisk, 8 for OS. I don't see what i can really put on that ramdisk at allllll...maybe like some models or something like that for temp storage, or use it for swapfiles,

i'll join the 16gb lifestyle too...

Moving from 4 to 8 since x38 won't take 4GB sticks. For my next box in 3 years probably go 24GB or if 8GB sticks come down in price 8GBx6.

I have a 16GB kit on this box (See page 3 for pictures) and have been using excess memory for a RAM disc for photo rendering. Render speeds are significantly faster as a result, and since rendering photos is part of my job, the saved time is very important.

As far as I know, newegg has a kit from G.Skill and OCZ. I had to go with the G.Skill and order it from memoryc since newegg did not have either in stock at the time.

16GB for over 2 years now.

Quad opty(2x 2212)@2.1Ghz
ASUS KFN5-D SLI
16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] (cost as much as a car back then) :p

VMware/File server.

16GB for Nucleo Pro!

The new DDR3 boards all seem to be limited to 2GB sticks. Making these new i7 boards max at 12GB for crazy money. DDR2 16GB boards seem to have a market niche for now.

Well, it's a lot of money up front (I think I paid around $410 after shipping), but if you can do more work in less time, it more than pays for itself, and that's important to me. I would never have wasted money just to have a high number of RAM gigs otherwise. RAMdiscs really do make renders a lot faster, which means when I'm doing media edits/rendering for publications, I can get more projects done in one work day, which means a higher per-hour rate of pay, and more money per day, even if I get lazy and stop working little early.

I should have teamed the RAM with a faster processor too - I currently use the quad core that is 2.83 GHz, which is good, but I was told that no program would make use of all 4 cores, especially not at 100%. I later found that the computer divides work up into all 4 cores for just about all programs, and all the media renders flatline at 100% until completed. Either way, it was a huge improvement over the last box, which could often take several hours on some photo renders.

Man I can't wait until they come out with 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 kits. Then we can have the 24GB club.

I have 16GB in my photoshop rig with 8GB as a scratch disk.

I should have teamed the RAM with a faster processor too - I currently use the quad core that is 2.83 GHz, which is good, but I was told that no program would make use of all 4 cores, especially not at 100%. I later found that the computer divides work up into all 4 cores for just about all programs, and all the media renders flatline at 100% until completed. Either way, it was a huge improvement over the last box, which could often take several hours on some photo renders.

Yeah, I stopped listening to jealous people a while back.

"WTF do you need THAT for?!?!?!?!? You making up for something?!?!?!?!"

:rolleyes:

can someone create a 10 GB ram disk and install a game out it.. what kind of load time improvements do you get.. i'm also assuming the min refresh rates should be higher

Newegg was selling G.Skill, OCZ, and Patriot 2x4GB 800MHz modules. The Patriot was the cheapest, looked the coolest, and had the best timings. However, the G.Skill, which had the worst timings, seemed much more reliable than the OCZ or Patriot.

The Patriot was 5-5-5-15 @ 800MHz.
The G.Skill was 6-6-6-18 @ 800MHz.
The OCZ was like 5-6-6-18 @ 800MHz.

Despite the price of these 4GB modules, they sell out fast. The market is there for them, yet memory makers are making such small quantities. I don't understand.

I've got 16gb. It's an IBM X3550 server, with 2x E5430 (2.66ghz, 12mb cache), the mentioned 16gb ram, and 4x 73gb 10k sas drives in raid5.

Back