max voltage/max 145% power
core +80
mem +300

ungine (1-hours):
core 1283
mem 3402

???

How are you guys getting 7000+ mem speeds? @.@

Move the memory slider up. If yours is crashing then your memory may not go that high. I think most people can get around 6800MHz on average, some have gone as high as 7600MHz. Every card is different my two Gigabyte WF 670's vary some, one does 7516MHz on memory, the other does 7298MHz on memory.

Spent last night trying to find highest overclocks that can pass 10 runs of maxxed Heaven. Running 670 FTW SLI.

GPU1: 1250/7450
GPU2: 1215/7500
(numbers are rounded, don't remember the last digit)

I can get the Cores up another ~20MHz if I use a custom fan profile that keeps temps below 80 and thus voltage from dropping to 1.150, but I'd rather have the near silent default fan profile than 1FPS.

Was a little disappointed in the Core overclock but very happy with the memory. Seems like 4MHz memory = 1MHz core in Heaven.

You really need to try to keep temps under 70c otherwise the card will throttle the core clock speed down. Anything over 1200MHz on the core is a good overclock, I wouldn't be ashamed of that at all. Anything over 7000MHz on the memory seems to be a good overclock as well and I haven't crunched the core vs memory speed numbers to see how much it equates to but these cards most definately benefit from all of the memory speed you can give them without sacrificing core speed. This is probably due to the lower bandwidth compared to the AMD 79xx series.

You really need to try to keep temps under 70c otherwise the card will throttle the core clock speed down. Anything over 1200MHz on the core is a good overclock, I wouldn't be ashamed of that at all. Anything over 7000MHz on the memory seems to be a good overclock as well and I haven't crunched the core vs memory speed numbers to see how much it equates to but these cards most definately benefit from all of the memory speed you can give them without sacrificing core speed. This is probably due to the lower bandwidth compared to the AMD 79xx series.

These seem to benefit more from faster memory compared to the 500 series too. I noticed I could go up another 100Mhz on the memory but the FPS would actually drop in Heaven.. I'm guessing due to error correction or something like that?

These seem to benefit more from faster memory compared to the 500 series too. I noticed I could go up another 100Mhz on the memory but the FPS would actually drop in Heaven.. I'm guessing due to error correction or something like that?

Disregard Heaven as a benchmark because its really flaky and start using any other benchmark and you'll probably see gains at higher speeds. Any version of 3DMARK, Metro 2033 Bench, Crysis Bench. I've yet to see any of those drop from increasing memory speed, this includes minimum and average framerates.

You have to keep in mind too you may not being seeing loss from higher memory speed, but the core speed maybe dropping some. I've found that sometimes if you go too far with the memory, the core speed will drop 15MHz, sometimes 30'ish which would also cause a performance loss. You really need to use Afterburner and monitor the maximum core speed while overclocking the memory as well to make sure its not dropping.

Since it looks like you're also hitting fairly high temps as well you may be losing some core speed also from throttling which would also cause a performance loss. When overclocking memory on these cards, it will generate more heat, in which case could cause the core speed to throttle thus causing a loss of performance which may look like the memory is problem when in reality its your temps, power draw, and core speed throttling. Try to keep your temps under 70c at all times while doing your testing to eliminate any throttling. I keep both of my 670's around 60c.

Last edited:
Spent last night trying to find highest overclocks that can pass 10 runs of maxxed Heaven. Running 670 FTW SLI.

GPU1: 1250/7450
GPU2: 1215/7500
(numbers are rounded, don't remember the last digit)

I can get the Cores up another ~20MHz if I use a custom fan profile that keeps temps below 80 and thus voltage from dropping to 1.150, but I'd rather have the near silent default fan profile than 1FPS.

Was a little disappointed in the Core overclock but very happy with the memory. Seems like 4MHz memory = 1MHz core in Heaven.

Yeah get those temps under control...ive been reading and after 70 degrees Kepler starts to clamp down on voltage and clocks to drop the temps. I saw it in 3DMark11 where I hit 75

Just experimenting with running the frame rate target of 60 of PrecisionX during games, works pretty well and drops my temps and fan speed by a couple ticks. Great for us 60Hz folk.

What works better? vsync or the framerate target?

Just experimenting with running the frame rate target of 60 of PrecisionX during games, works pretty well and drops my temps and fan speed by a couple ticks. Great for us 60Hz folk.

well framerate target will not stop tearing. and really framerate target is nothing special as we have been able to set a framerate limit in precision or afterburner for years.

I like adaptive vsync better, don't really notice the extra input lag too much.

Since it looks like you're also hitting fairly high temps as well you may be losing some core speed also from throttling which would also cause a performance loss. When overclocking memory on these cards, it will generate more heat, in which case could cause the core speed to throttle thus causing a loss of performance which may look like the memory is problem when in reality its your temps, power draw, and core speed throttling. Try to keep your temps under 70c at all times while doing your testing to eliminate any throttling. I keep both of my 670's around 60c.

What are your fan speeds under load? What model do you have and is the fan noise bothersome at that speed?

670 4GB SC 2-way SLI

Heaven fps at 2560x1440 went from 57.4 to 66.3 (15.5%).

What are your fan speeds under load? What model do you have and is the fan noise bothersome at that speed?

Gigabyte Windforce 670. My fans runs 10% behind each degree Celsius with my custom profile so at 60c, my fans would be at 50%. The fans are mostly inaudible on the WF until they get between 55-60%. However, my card never runs above 60c so the fans are mostly silent at 50%.

Last edited:
Gigabyte Windforce 670, My fans runs 10% behind each degree Celsius with my custom profile so at 60c, my fans would be at 50%. The fans are mostly inaudible on the WF until they get between 55-60%. Howere, my card never runs above 60c so the fans are mostly silent at 50%.

what case are you using?

I'm trying to figure out if i should get another windforce or just go reference for sli and case vent got me worried.

what case are you using?

I'm trying to figure out if i should get another windforce or just go reference for sli and case vent got me worried.

I've got two PC's both with the same Intel I5 2500k CPU @ 3.8GHz, and each with a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670, the first one is an Antec 1200 v3 case, the second is a Fractal Design XL. The Antec runs a few degrees cooler.

1175Mhz out of the box on my Gigabyte GTX 670 OC. Not bad at all for factory OC. Great temps too @ 61C max so far. Very impressed with the Gigabyte so far! Will try to OC it later.

1175Mhz out of the box on my Gigabyte GTX 670 OC. Not bad at all for factory OC. Great temps too @ 61C max so far. Very impressed with the Gigabyte so far! Will try to OC it later.

the gigabyte cards are much cooler.. makes me quite jealous...

my asus dcii is at 70% fan speed at 60C and cant keep the damn thing below 70C overclocked while playing bf3. which really just blows giant dick..

its such a pain returning a card and buying one from newegg though

the throttle is annoying to see but its not really game breaking like some suggest. its like 15mhz hahah or is it 11? im not sure but its not a lot.

just gonna try bumping my fan speed up to a higher amount i mean it has a warranty anyways right? whats the worst that happens the fan breaks?

the gigabyte cards are much cooler.. makes me quite jealous...

my asus dcii is at 70% fan speed at 60C and cant keep the damn thing below 70C overclocked while playing bf3. which really just blows giant dick..

its such a pain returning a card and buying one from newegg though

the throttle is annoying to see but its not really game breaking like some suggest. its like 15mhz hahah or is it 11? im not sure but its not a lot.

just gonna try bumping my fan speed up to a higher amount i mean it has a warranty anyways right? whats the worst that happens the fan breaks?

I believe the card steps down in 12MHz increments at 70C and 80C but I could be wrong. The fan should be spec'd to operate at 100% for a pretty long period before any problems happen. I would not be worried about gaming at 100% fan speeds for a few hours a day that is for sure.

And yeah, the GB cards are great. Stock boost of 1176MHz around 60C and 40-43% fan speed is what I get. It's starting to get warmer here so I'm seeing 63-65C and 45% fan but still nothing to complain about, can barely hear the card.

I still haven't tried OC'ing past factory, whenever I think about trying it, I end up using that time to game instead.

Hey all,

I recently built a desktop and am using the Galaxy Geforce GTX 670. Its factory overclocked so the default values are
GPU: 1006
Memory: 1052
Boost: 1085

I tried to overclock this the other night and the highest I could get (using MSI afterburner) was
GPU: + 41
Memory: +61
(Power limiter: 125%)

Anything higher than that and Crysis would crash, as would Heaven.
The max temperature was 82 degrees.
The fan was left to auto.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or I just have a card that doesn't overclock too well.
Any help would be great.

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, its pretty straight forward, just sounds like you pushed the card too far. Trying working your overclock speeds up gradually until it fails then back it down some.

Hey all,

I recently built a desktop and am using the Galaxy Geforce GTX 670. Its factory overclocked so the default values are

I tried to overclock this the other night and the highest I could get (using MSI afterburner) was

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or I just have a card that doesn't overclock too well.
Any help would be great.

reference card? sounds kind of low for an overclock to me

i get +100 to core and memory each with ease

Hey all,

Any help would be great.

Did you up your voltages at all?

What is the actual core clock you are getting in game? My Gigabyte 670 is supposed to boost to 1058 but it is at 1202 in games always without me touching anything except the power slider. Obviously, I could overclock it more but like some other guy said earlier, every time I think about OC'ing it I just use the time to game. It's not like the performance isn't up to snuff.

Did you up your voltages at all?

gtx 670's are already set at the max voltage.

What is the actual core clock you are getting in game? My Gigabyte 670 is supposed to boost to 1058 but it is at 1202 in games always without me touching anything except the power slider. Obviously, I could overclock it more but like some other guy said earlier, every time I think about OC'ing it I just use the time to game. It's not like the performance isn't up to snuff.

exactly... mine is supposed to boost to 980MHz but jumps to 1110 mhz without touching anything. thats with the power limit at 100%

I haven't checked what the boost is in game. I'll give it a look and report back. Thanks for the advice.

I just checked the boost in game. Its getting up to 1175 with the power limiter up to 100%. No real change at 125%. When the core clock is put to + 30 I am getting 1195 in game but the card is running hot. The max temperature is 81 degrees and the average is 74.

I just checked the boost in game. Its getting up to 1175 with the power limiter up to 100%. No real change at 125%. When the core clock is put to + 30 I am getting 1195 in game but the card is running hot. The max temperature is 81 degrees and the average is 74.

Temp seems a bit high, that is a reference cooler (external exhaust) in a TJ-08 case right? What are your case temps like.

I think the case temps are pretty low. The Cpu is always less than 40degrees and the air coming out of the exhaust is usually pretty cool. I have a corsair h60 so I use the fan that came with that.

I played Crysis 2 yesterday and at + 30 core I got up to 1202 in game and the temperature was about 79 at the highest.

Run Wow and get low FPS drops in certain areas, But just ran BF3 everything maxed out without a hiccup... *confused eyes*

So I was finally able to get my MSI GTX 670. Overall it is a great card and works well with factory overclock. However, overclocking the card was a bit disappointing. Maximum I was able to achieve was 1.215 core and 6.304 memory (+100 core, +150 memory) given that I set voltage to 1.175 stable through eVGA precision. Without it my card can do +50, +150 core and memory respectively without any voltage adjustment.

All said and done it primarily loses out to the 7970 at 1100/1500 that I had for daily use. I may be getting a GTX 680 to compensate for that.

Overall decent card. The factory overclock is 965 on the core.

what should i be setting my memory to in terms of overclocking? I see some people with like +600 mhz on the memory which just seems really high to me. I can easily get +100 on the core clock boosting it to 1215mhz stable which seems pretty decent to me.. as I am not that ambitious and there is hardly a need to overclock anyways. But the memory I guess is the one thing that I get lost on, there are diminishing returns from what I understand.

Also.. suggestions on a good benchmark to test stability ?

Something in the +300 range is a pretty safe bet for the memory.

You can run a Heaven loop for a quick stability/artifact check.

I have heard from lots of people that heaven is unreliable

Unreliable how? It's not the end-all of tests, but like I said, it is good for a quick check. If it passes Heaven it may still have instability in games, but at least you've eliminated immediate failures and narrowed down the range. I found BF3 to be very demanding when I was working my card up, but it is a lot more time consuming to test with that. I'd think MP3 would probably also be a good test, but again, kind of time consuming for the initial overclocking attempts.

Unreliable how? It's not the end-all of tests, but like I said, it is good for a quick check. If it passes Heaven it may still have instability in games, but at least you've eliminated immediate failures and narrowed down the range. I found BF3 to be very demanding when I was working my card up, but it is a lot more time consuming to test with that. I'd think MP3 would probably also be a good test, but again, kind of time consuming for the initial overclocking attempts.

dope i'll try it out, thanks man

what should i be setting my memory to in terms of overclocking? I see some people with like +600 mhz on the memory which just seems really high to me. I can easily get +100 on the core clock boosting it to 1215mhz stable which seems pretty decent to me.. as I am not that ambitious and there is hardly a need to overclock anyways. But the memory I guess is the one thing that I get lost on, there are diminishing returns from what I understand.

Also.. suggestions on a good benchmark to test stability ?

All depends on the card, some cards will only do +300 on memory, some will go as high as +800.

If you flash to the EVGA FTW+ BIOS you can unlock more voltage. My GB Windforce GTX 670 is currently flashed to this BIOS and I'm running at 1290mhz core.

Back