Official Dell 2707WFP Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I found a good price on the Dell 2707... $1085. Oddly enough I found this on Alienware's website! :confused: (I would have assumed that the price wiould have been jacked up a bit on thier site)

Here's the link for anyone who wants it: 2707 @ Alienware

better keep that low key lol, if you notice everything else from dell is higher on their site :-p gotta be a mistake :)

For anyone who's following the 2707wfp (me included), I've gathered all the resources I could on this monitor and made a website, which I will be keeping up to date:

It was annoying having to look all over the place when I just wanted to read a few reviews, see images etc.

Dell 2707WFP Resource

Thanks mate, good work on the compilation. Some of those piccies and reviews i've never seen before too! Cheers!

better keep that low key lol, if you notice everything else from dell is higher on their site :-p gotta be a mistake :)

With shipping, it was a bit more expensive, but still lower than the 10% off $1300 Dell had posted. However, Dell's page now shows "From $1199" which if I'm not mistaken signifies another $100 price drop. I would expect to see that go "on sale" to $1079 in coming weeks.

The irony is that after balking at Dell's opportunistic pricing, I started looking at 1080p HDTV alternatives, and while there are trade-offs in that market as well, I don't think I'm going to be looking back.

I just noticed this monitor is on sale at Dell.ca for $1199, a $200 dollar discount. This makes it the same price as the Samsung 275T at Futureshop I think.

I have read a lot of reviews and I decide to jump ship and go with the Dell 27" instead of
the Dell 30" because I think it is built better, looks great and also has scaling which the Dell 30" hasn't.
Also I like know if I bought the Dell 27" can I put up the resolution to 2560 x 1600 if I had a game that supports it?

I have read a lot of reviews and I decide to jump ship and go with the Dell 27" instead of
the Dell 30" because I think it is built better, looks great and also has scaling which the Dell 30" hasn't.
Also I like know if I bought the Dell 27" can I put up the resolution to 2560 x 1600 if I had a game that supports it?

Nope, 1920x1200 max. The 27" do kick the ass though. :)

Thanks. Is there a big difference in picture quality from 1920x1200 to 2560 x1600?

You can search this thread for my post. I’ve posted a lot about the 2707. For me it’s like this:

I got two for $933 each delivered right when they came out. :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030623358&postcount=97

I have two at 1920x1200 so the extra res of the 30” don’t make sense for me.

Games run great at 1920x1200 on my system. With a 30” you need to make sure that you have the right card and cables for dual DVI and while games would look nice on the 30” I think there is more of a performance hit than I would like.

Movies look great and with HD content it’s got the best match at 1920x1080p with no scaling.

The 30” cost too much and I would not be able to put two on my Ergotron arm. :)

My Setup:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030620564&postcount=90

You can search this thread for my post. I’ve posted a lot about the 2707. For me it’s like this:

I got two for $933 each delivered right when they came out. :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030623358&postcount=97

I have two at 1920x1200 so the extra res of the 30” don’t make sense for me.

Games run great at 1920x1200 on my system. With a 30” you need to make sure that you have the right card and cables for dual DVI and while games would look nice on the 30” I think there is more of a performance hit than I would like.

Movies look great and with HD content it’s got the best match at 1920x1080p with no scaling.

The 30” cost too much and I would not be able to put two on my Ergotron arm. :)

My Setup:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030620564&postcount=90

Great setup. I noticed that you got the same speakers like I have, I will never part
with mine. Anyway the resolution is brilliant and the monitor looks awesome.:)

Is the black-level problem with PS3 specific to PS3s? Or would I get the same problem with a DVD player that uses DVI-to-HDMI cable?

Next question, will I be able to drive this baby with a 3500+ and a 6800XT?

Thinnking about buying this monitor,,,
How much heat does it produce?
I don't want to buy an LCD that bakes me:cool:

I found a good price on the Dell 2707... $1085. Oddly enough I found this on Alienware's website! :confused: (I would have assumed that the price wiould have been jacked up a bit on thier site)

Here's the link for anyone who wants it: 2707 @ Alienware

I called Dell just a few minutes ago and price matched the Alienware price.
Dell is shipping it to me for $1085 :D
Should be here next week. I'd have to say it's close to a hot deal:cool:

The 2707 seems like an awsome monitor with some good colors, but i was wondering if some 2707 owners found the silver colored bezel distracting? The bezel definitly gives this monitor a solid look but i find my eyes a little attracted to it while looking at whats displayed.

I dont own one but its in my top three for purchase soon.

The 2707 seems like an awsome monitor with some good colors, but i was wondering if some 2707 owners found the silver colored bezel distracting? The bezel definitly gives this monitor a solid look but i find my eyes a little attracted to it while looking at whats displayed.

I dont own one but its in my top three for purchase soon.
I would think that bezel distraction would be short lived once the newness of the monitor wears off.

I don't think the silver bezel is distracting at all, and it really gives the 2707 a nice classy look. I love my 2707! It's by far the best computer related purchase I have ever made.

I don't think the silver bezel is distracting at all, and it really gives the 2707 a nice classy look. I love my 2707! It's by far the best computer related purchase I have ever made.

Man I'm excited can't wait until mine gets here

Thinnking about buying this monitor,,,
How much heat does it produce?
I don't want to buy an LCD that bakes me:cool:

The top rear get warm after a while but I don't think it gets as hot as I have read in some reviews. Mine at least.

The heat generated from my PS3's exhaust right next to it is the bigger problem :eek:

The top rear get warm after a while but I don't think it gets as hot as I have read in some reviews. Mine at least.

The heat generated from my PS3's exhaust right next to it is the bigger problem :eek:

Good to hear, esp. with summer looming big on the horizon.

At the Whirlpool.net Forums, someone called Dell Customer Support to confirm resolution modes, and this is what he was given:

VGA DVI Component
480i No Yes Yes
480p No Yes Yes
720i No Yes Yes
720p No Yes Yes
1080i No No Yes
1080p No Yes No

Say what?? No 1080p support on DVI? I just bought this monitor a few days ago; and I'm gonna be mightily sore when I plug in my soon-to-arrive 8800GTX, and this monitor won't do 1080p.

Yes! If only every monitor had a silver lining. :) It looks mighty shiny next to my Antec P182 SE (with mirror pollish) and DiNovo Edge keyboard.

Okay, now a serious question.

I watched a movie with it tonight. And one thing I noticed, as I had connected it to my laptop, is that, compared to the laptop screen, the color temperature appears a bit off. As in: too warm. I know it has a blue temp option, but that just makes things, well, too blue. ;)

So, does anyone know whether there's a tweak to correct the color temperature? One that doesn't require some type of hardware calibration. I don't necessarily want more blue, just a colder color temp.

Thanks.

Okay, now this sucks!!

I finally received my monitor, and it's downright gorgeous (this is the good part). But it doesn't work all that well!

When using DVI, I can only select resolutions lower than 1280*1024 (1776*1000 being the sole exception). Anything else results in a black screen, like no data is being fed through the cable. The 1776*1000 resolution gives weird flickers every 15 minutes or so, lasts for 30 seconds.

When using VGA, every resolution work, this problem solely exists with DVI. If there something I should know? or do to make this go away?!

This happens with my main rig with a Radeon 1600 Pro (to be replaced with a 8800 GTX this friday), another PC with a 9800 XT, and a Mac Book Pro. So I doubt it's a VGA card problem (or drivers, both Catalyst 7.3 and 7.4 are giving me these problems).

Any ideas why this might be happening?!

Okay, now a serious question.

I watched a movie with it tonight. And one thing I noticed, as I had connected it to my laptop, is that, compared to the laptop screen, the color temperature appears a bit off. As in: too warm. I know it has a blue temp option, but that just makes things, well, too blue. ;)

So, does anyone know whether there's a tweak to correct the color temperature? One that doesn't require some type of hardware calibration. I don't necessarily want more blue, just a colder color temp.

Thanks.
Create a custom color temperature :) it's usually called "user settings" and just adjust it until you think it looks good to your eyes. Since everyone sees colors a little differently.

I've always said, what could be blue to me, might be green to you. Since you've grown up associating that color s name to what you see, who knows if we see the exact same colors/hues :)

Will I be able to drive this baby with an XFX 6800XT card? I play CS: Source, watch Xvid movies, and surf the web

Will I be able to drive this baby with an XFX 6800XT card? I play CS: Source, watch Xvid movies, and surf the web

Yeah, but don't expect Anti aliasing for 1920x1200, or to play any other game stably at that res with the 6800.

Update*** Just got my 3rd replacement and its perfect. The only thing i have a problem with is the green ghosting. anyone else got that?

I got mine yesterday.
As close to perfect as you can get.
The screen is beautiful.
Does have a whine type sound, but it can only be heard when the computer is off.

If anyone is noticing ghosting, i sugest you use the DVI port... VGA has noticible ghosting due to it being an analog signal... DVI is the only good option...

i've been searching for the dimensions of this thing, but can't find them yet.

does anyone have them?

cheers

So this monitor would be chosen over the 3007 because of the built in scaler, multiple input support, HDCP support, and Lowere non-graphics intensive resolution?

Also I had some questions

1. The native resolution of this monitor is 1900 x 1200 or 1920 x 1200. And whats the differebce between the two? do you play one in games, etc etc?

2. Can this monitor handle TV Viewing? If so, how?

3. How does this monitor handle Xbox 360 and other component systems?

Lastly, do you think that now would be a good time to upgrade to this monitor, or do you reccomend holding out for something better in the near future. Right now I am monitorless, and working on my laptop. But if something better were coming otu in the near future I could hold on until it came out.

Looking forward to the response guys, and sorry for asking so many questions =P

Back