Official Dell 2707WFP Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I'm using the 2707 on a mac mini and the fonts look razor sharp. Also have any of you calibrated the monitor? It was awefully bright before I calibrated it.

I used a co-workers ColorVision Spyder2 and it looks lots better. I think it was a little washed out before calibration. The main thing for me was to get the built in red, blue and green settings the same on both displays. Then you can also make a new monitor profile that will tweak even more setting in the video card driver. I think the profile looks much better but a little too dark. I want to find an in between setting but I’ll have to get the Spyder2 again.

still no word on how good the 2707 scales lower resolutions ( e.g. 1650x1050 )...why?

I'm using the 2707 on a mac mini and the fonts look razor sharp. Also have any of you calibrated the monitor? It was awefully bright before I calibrated it.

Stinkypalm, are you sure the fonts looking razor sharp on Mac? It does look razor sharp with fonts that isn't clear type or anti alias. It seam like any Anti Alias fonts doesn't look quite as good, it's not bad but isn't razor sharp. I own a Mac Pro, and Mac OS X alway anti alias their fonts. While surfing the web, the texts isn't very sharp. It look a bit soft and a bit blown up looking at it closer. It'smore noticable with texts that is bold and big and depending on what background it display in. eg, white texts on black, black text on white, etc.

The Dell 2707WFP does have the best black I seen, and no backlight bleed. Also have nicer color qaulity then the Dell 2407WFP. I guess it's because I own the Apple 23 HD Display I tend to notice this more.

still no word on how good the 2707 scales lower resolutions ( e.g. 1650x1050 )...why?

:( Lame. If set to 1650x1050 it fills the screen even though 1:1 is set and you can't change it. :( :( :( If you use a 4:3 res then it will let you set 1:1 or Fill. Why did they do that. If I had to use a lower res for something I'd use 1:1, Fill always looks bad on LCDs. :(

Tanquen and Velocities... this one goes to you.

I am still debating between this monitor and the BenQ FP241W!!!

I guess my only concern is the dot-pitch.... I know some said it was obvious... some said it was not... some said it was only visible through Clear Type... I want your unbiased opinion!

My needs are: Web surfing, gaming, and watching movies... that's it!

Price: I could afford the FP241W right now! It's sharp, good quality, and big enough!

27", I would have to wait for Samsung's panel to come out in order to see Dell's price get reduced. It's color gamut is WOW and size is HUGE!

What would be your honest recommendations?

5 against 1, I have to ask you this first. Do you use Clear Type at all? Are you using this on a PC or Mac? You web surfing more or gaming more?

I do not use Clear Type fonts. The gaming/web/movie balance is about 30/50/20. And I use a PC with WinXP for now but will move on to Vista in a few months. I'm waiting for drivers to stabalize.

I do not use Clear Type fonts. The gaming/web/movie balance is about 30/50/20. And I use a PC with WinXP for now but will move on to Vista in a few months. I'm waiting for drivers to stabalize.

With Clear Type turn off, texts look really good. You get finer pitch with 23 - 24, but it isn't a big deal like everyone claim it to be. Sitting too close to the Dell 27 Inch really give big strain on your eyes like it did to me. It's very bright, I have to turn down it down to 25. You have to sit far away like 20 - 25 inches from it to get the whole viewing experimence. The strength of the Dell 27 lies in game and movies, game and movies look really amazing. However, the Dell 27 isn't good for everyday use, I feel a little bit of eyes strain after long hours of using it surfing the web and do a lot of reading. I feel the BenQ 24 may be a better choice for you if you surf the web more, and do a lot of reading.

However, if you want my unbias opions on the Dell 2707WFP, I would say it isn't as sharp as the Apple 23 and Dell 24 Inch. It really a monitor for gamers and multimedia. I agree with CNET reviews where they say the Dell 27 text and graphics on the 2707WFP look comparatively coarse due to the resolution. But this is just my personal opion, so don't flame me.

I hope this help you decide on your monitor.

Ok, I don’t know what else to say. I’ve tried to convey my honest feelings on this a few times. But here goes once more.

I’m old, 35 years old. :) I do have 20/20 vision though. When I set leaning back in my chair a good 40-45° (best for your back and all) I’m just about three feet from the displays. This was true with my 2405 and 2005 setup as well. When I want to see more detail I setup in my chair and it’s all bigger and stuff. :) Now, for clarity and dot pitch and the 2707 looking more grainy and whatever, I don’t see it. I think dot pitch (within reason) is meaningless in LCD displays anyway. I don’t really care how far apart the dots are. For LCDs anyway, they are as far apart as they need to be to take up the space of the display. I only really care about the black grid or space in-between the elements, the less of that the better. Screen door effect as it’s called. I think the 2707 and the other LCDs I’ve have are all just about the same in this regard. The 2707 has better color, is bigger, grown to like the styling better than just same old black, has better backlight uniformity and can be brighter than I could ever need. I think the DVDs I play full screen scale better then my other LCDs. The pics that I found for my wallpapers that are full 1920x1200 scans look amazing. Someone said that the 2707 was not good for professional work, what?! Someone said they are too hard on their eyes for reading. Seems fine to me. It took a good week to get used to the size but the same thing happened with the 2405 when I first got it.

Take a look at these pics below. Can you tell which on is from which display? My Anne, dear god she is so fine. :) My poor digital camera can’t do her or the 2707 justice. You have to see it in person. Twenty seven inches and a clean scanned 1920x1200 picture, I can’t get any work done when she is not covered up. :)

Disclaimer: Once you see it you may disagree with me but that’s life.

Is anyone connecting the PC and Xbox 360 to the monitor?

Is there lag when changing input like from switching from DVI to VGA or component? If so, how long is it?

Well TANQUEN and VELOCITIES.... you've convinced me... Thank you for your input!!!!!!!!!

I will wait til Samsung's panel's comes out!!!! Then, I'll buy whatever is the cheapest!!!!

I run the 2707 to my 360 as well (over the VGA connection). If both inputs are active, there is 0.5-1 second delay between swapping inputs. If I turn off the 360, it will deactivate the input signal... which causes the monitor to go into power save. I would personally prefer it to switch to another active input instead. Anyways, changing the input at this point takes a bit longer, as it has to come out of power save... then change the input over to the PC. It takes about 4-5 seconds for this process.

I might be just anal but that's my take on it :) Other than that, it is a FANTASTIC monitor; easily better than any of my friends 22" Huge difference in size.

Thanks for all the great input here guys (I'm especially pointing at you Tanquen ;) )

I'm convinced this is the monitor for me. Now I'm just going to wait a bit on the price and/or coupons!

I used a co-workers ColorVision Spyder2 and it looks lots better. I think it was a little washed out before calibration. The main thing for me was to get the built in red, blue and green settings the same on both displays. Then you can also make a new monitor profile that will tweak even more setting in the video card driver. I think the profile looks much better but a little too dark. I want to find an in between setting but I’ll have to get the Spyder2 again.

Hey Tanquen post your Spyder2 settings for the 2707. I also own the monitor and the brightness and colors are burning my eyeballs! :D

Hey Tanquen post your Spyder2 settings for the 2707. I also own the monitor and the brightness and colors are burning my eyeballs! :D

I’m not sure how to do that. I can send you the icm file it generated but it’s different for each display, even the two I have. The Red, Blue and Green settings on each display are also different and were calibrated with the Spyder. If you’re that in to it you should buy or borrow one.

I run the 2707 to my 360 as well (over the VGA connection). If both inputs are active, there is 0.5-1 second delay between swapping inputs. If I turn off the 360, it will deactivate the input signal... which causes the monitor to go into power save. I would personally prefer it to switch to another active input instead. Anyways, changing the input at this point takes a bit longer, as it has to come out of power save... then change the input over to the PC. It takes about 4-5 seconds for this process.

I might be just anal but that's my take on it :) Other than that, it is a FANTASTIC monitor; easily better than any of my friends 22" Huge difference in size.

Let me get this straight. If I have the PC and a xbox 360 connected to the LCD and I turn off the xbox 360 while the PC is connected and on, the monitor will shut off? If it shuts off, do I need to turn it back on even though the PC Is connected to it and still on?

Let me get this straight. If I have the PC and a xbox 360 connected to the LCD and I turn off the xbox 360 while the PC is connected and on, the monitor will shut off? If it shuts off, do I need to turn it back on even though the PC Is connected to it and still on?

No, it won’t shut off on its own. If there is no signal coming in it will go into a power save mode with a message on the screen. I think he is just saying that the buttons on the front are unresponsive for a few seconds while it’s going into or coming out of this power save mode. I’d say, get in the habit of hitting the input cycle button before tuning something off. It’s not really setup to be a toggle switching back and forth between two or three inputs. I do that at work sometimes as part of a poor mans KVM switch and it’s a drag to cycle through all five inputs when I need to switch back and forth between two inputs. Like my on my ten year old TV you can even remove inputs that you don’t use from the cycle. If only I were King or just in the group at Dell that decides what features are going these bad boys. :)

No, it won’t shut off on its own. If there is no signal coming in it will go into a power save mode with a message on the screen. I think he is just saying that the buttons on the front are unresponsive for a few seconds while it’s going into or coming out of this power save mode. I’d say, get in the habit of hitting the input cycle button before tuning something off. It’s not really setup to be a toggle switching back and forth between two or three inputs. I do that at work sometimes as part of a poor mans KVM switch and it’s a drag to cycle through all five inputs when I need to switch back and forth between two inputs. Like my on my ten year old TV you can even remove inputs that you don’t use from the cycle. If only I were King or just in the group at Dell that decides what features are going these bad boys. :)

Will this problem be resolve if I have a DVI switch? Like using two DVI source to connect to the LCD?

about to pull the trigger on this, I need more real estate then my 2007fpw,

moving from a 8800GTS 320MB and Dell 20" 2007FPW(1680x1050)

to

the 2707WFP

you guys think a single 8800GTX can drive this well with native res in games with aa,hdr and fsaa on?

about to pull the trigger on this, I need more real estate then my 2007fpw,

moving from a 8800GTS 320MB and Dell 20" 2007FPW(1680x1050)

to

the 2707WFP

you guys think a single 8800GTX can drive this well with native res in games with aa,hdr and fsaa on?

It has resolution of 1900 x 1200 so you should be fine with your GTS..;)

I’ve been use 1920x1200 for at lest a year now with the 2405 and then the 2707s. I have HIS X1900 Crossfire Edition & HIS X1900XTX cards and most games won’t support crossfire (Biggest rip-off ever) so I’m mostly just running games on the x1900xtx and I always play at 1920x1200 and I like to have all the video setting turned up. I’ve been playing the Supreme Commander and Command & Conquer 3 demos with all the setting turned up and they are both quite playable. I used FRAPS and it says that I’m only getting 20-25 FPS at times but I’ve not really noticed any slow down when playing but I’ve not had a big 8 player game yet. :) Your 8800GTX should be quite a bit faster than the x1900xtx. You should be fine until some of the DirectX10 games come round. Then I’m sure will all be wanting more GPU speed. Why did you go from an 8800GTS to a GTX card now? I’d stay with the GTS until the next round of card later this year at least if not until a game comes along that you must whip it into shape with the latest card. I’ll be getting a new motherboard, CPU, (8 cores?) GPU,(s?) RAM when a new must have DirectX10 game shows it’s self.

I’ve been use 1920x1200 for at lest a year now with the 2405 and then the 2707s. I have HIS X1900 Crossfire Edition & HIS X1900XTX cards and most games won’t support crossfire (Biggest rip-off ever) so I’m mostly just running games on the x1900xtx and I always play at 1920x1200 and I like to have all the video setting turned up. I’ve been playing the Supreme Commander and Command & Conquer 3 demos with all the setting turned up and they are both quite playable. I used FRAPS and it says that I’m only getting 20-25 FPS at times but I’ve not really noticed any slow down when playing but I’ve not had a big 8 player game yet. :) Your 8800GTX should be quite a bit faster than the x1900xtx. You should be fine until some of the DirectX10 games come round. Then I’m sure will all be wanting more GPU speed. Why did you go from an 8800GTS to a GTX card now? I’d stay with the GTS until the next round of card later this year at least if not until a game comes along that you must whip it into shape with the latest card. I’ll be getting a new motherboard, CPU, (8 cores?) GPU,(s?) RAM when a new must have DirectX10 game shows it’s self.

yea i think your right, I havent gotten the GTX yet, im just speculating on what to get after my 2707 purchase. Im just scared when playing games at that resolution im somewhat limited to FSAA and AA because I only have 320 ram in the GTS

Do you run it at 1080p?

yea i think your right, I havent gotten the GTX yet, im just speculating on what to get after my 2707 purchase. Im just scared when playing games at that resolution im somewhat limited to FSAA and AA because I only have 320 ram in the GTS

samsung just released some RAM to gfx-card developers that is 66% faster than the GDDR RAM ATI/AMD is using for the R600 - so id w8 for 6-8 months and get a card hat run that RAM - it should kick ass

a question to all of u - do u think that a 30" display running native 1920x1200 would look ok? - do u think such a monitor will ever hi the market?

- I think it would look fine - i mean there are 100" monitors running 1920x1200, so it should look ok on 30"... the thing is im gonna buy a 30" very soon - but i dont care much for that 2560x1600 res, everything would just look 2 small I think... So, u think a 30# 1920x1200 will ever hit the market?

Can one of you 2707 owners help me out with some exact dimensions? I really want to get this monitor but I would really like to keep my current desk too!

I looked at the dimension listed on Dell's site and tried to measure it on my desk. It's a corner desk with shelves, and it looks like it may just barely fit. But this depends on the way the stand holds the panel. Here's a picture of the desk I have.

418638_sk_lg.jpg

The problem is that the area to put the monitor is crowded by the shelves on both side. The area available is a trapezoid, with the shorter end barely 22" across, which means the monitor will need to be either pushed back or pulled forward a bit, to work around the shelve. If I push back, I will only have about 7" of depth to work with on the desk. So here are my 2 questions:

1. If you make the monitor "stand up straight" as much as possible, would 7" of desk space be enough to support the monitor? (there's plenty of room for the monitor arm to angle back, since this is a corner desk, and plenty of room forward if the base needs more space) Basically, I want to know the minimal depth of this monitor measured from the face of the monitor to the back of the base.

2. What is the thickness of just the panel itself? If possible, a top down picture of the monitor with some labels would REALLY REALLY be appreciated! :D I've seen the 360 picture on dell's site, and understand that the panel looks like a board plus a bulging trapezoid. If I can get dimensions on them it would help me see if I can put the monitor forward instead.

Much thanks in advance of any help! :cool:

I couldnt wait any longer and picked up a 2707. I use it for just word processing and web surfing at work.

I have been very very happy with it. I use cleartype, and the text seems sharp to my eyes.

Ugh, waiting for this monitor to get sub-$1000 is killing me.

I'm starting to think that since the 2407 is around $600 it's a better buy to just pair it with a nice 5.1 system (z-5300?) and pocket the difference.

Would 24" and 5.1 be better than 27" and 2.1 (value-wise)? (movies, AOE3, web, etc..)

Ugh, waiting for this monitor to get sub-$1000 is killing me.

I'm starting to think that since the 2407 is around $600 it's a better buy to just pair it with a nice 5.1 system (z-5300?) and pocket the difference.

Would 24" and 5.1 be better than 27" and 2.1 (value-wise)? (movies, AOE3, web, etc..)

I was in the same boat as u and decided to go with the 2407+Onkyo S790 HTS and it came out to less than the price of 2707. Im not willing to pay extra $500 for 3 inches, especially since they both use the same panel.

But its your money and u probably have real-life priorities like I do, so make your choice based on your needs/finances:)

Frag

Aren't they both S-PVA's? Or did he mean resoulution?

They are both LCDs but they are not the same panel. When folks talk about two displays using the same panel in the forums I’ve always taken that to mean that a Dell and an Apple and or a Samsung are all using the same exact Samsung panel just in different cases with different scaler chipsets and inputs. Even if he was trying to say it was the same save for the size. That would not be correct either. The 2707 has better color depth and a different backlight setup.

They are both LCDs but they are not the same panel. When folks talk about two displays using the same panel in the forums I’ve always taken that to mean that a Dell and an Apple and or a Samsung are all using the same exact Samsung panel just in different cases with different scaler chipsets and inputs. Even if he was trying to say it was the same save for the size. That would not be correct either. The 2707 has better color depth and a different backlight setup.

To second this, the 27 Inch Dell uses the same panel as the 275T* Samsung panel (its manufactured by Samsung). It has a 93 or 92% color gamut, which the 2405 / 2407 do not have, they are not at all the same panel. I believe they are the same panel type, but far from the same generation of LCD panel technology at this point.

But the question is, do you really need the extra 3 inches, have you seen a 2407 in person and been happy with its overall quality... If your answer to the second question is Yes... I would say, save the money and get the 2407... I myself was waiting for the Samsung 275T to hit the market, but have settled upon the NEC 2690 (though I am waiting a month or so, so I do not spend half of my bank account savings that I have been working on since the New Year)... Either way, the Dell 27 inch screen seems to still be a good buy, hopefully when it comes down to the $1,000 range soon, for your sake, and all those who were waiting for this panel to go down in price.

- Derfman

Gunsandbutter – I do love my 2707s but if you have to buy both now, I’d do some research and put the money into a good 5.1 setup. Upgrade after upgrade you can keep using them and always be glad that you got a nice setup back when.

Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2407 this morning. I got it down to $630 total and had a $100 GC so I can't complain. The 2707 is just taking too long to drop price and I dunno when a 2407-HC would be released if at all.

Thanks again for all the advice

FYI for those who are waiting for the Samsung 275T:

It should be available sometime in April, according to Ron Talia from Samsung USA.

I'm still hoping for someone to answer my question. :(

...u should know that ie 7.0 and ff 3.0 (when it gets out) support complete scaling of websites... this means that the 2560x1600 res of a 30"'er doesnt mean u have to endure small unreadable text... This fact has made me forget about the 27"'er and go for a 30"'er... Samsung has just showed a 30" monitor at Cebit that has 2 ms respond time and 123% colors of the NTSC spectre - unfortunatly its 4:3 for some reason :/ ... anyway - I recommend w8ing until this panel comes in a 30" 16:10 version - that should b a good panel for life (until 3d-monitors become a must)

"unfortunatly its 4:3 for some reason" <- not raelly sure of this anymore - some pages are questioning this

Back