Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Well now that i have a 2407wfp i think it looks great but what would be the best way to "calibrate" it ive u can make it look alot better than what it comes as stock.

BTW has anyone one exchanged there monitor recently? I have 2 dead pixels and im going to be exchanging it for another but they said its gonna take 9 days to go though. Ive heard that someone exchanged theres 5 times till they got the right one. how did you do that in 21 days???

Quick question for you guys with the dell 2407... how does the component do with non HD content?

I was thinking about getting one and hooking it up as:
PC->dvi
Xbox 360-VGA
PS2->component

and maybe my gamecube on the svid connector (i think it has one :p)

@fearrun : added after post #810. Should have been more clear...

It's an S-PVA, don't bother putting anymore thought into it. They don't make S-IPS 24" LCDs.

It's an S-PVA, don't bother putting anymore thought into it. They don't make S-IPS 24" LCDs.

don't think which way? i'm fine with the ps2 image quality not being stellar.. it can't be worse than the component to vga adapter I have now. I'm also assuming the VGA input for the 360 will look as good or better than my 22" acer.

To be honest I've never even heard of a panel manufacturer named "they".... Google hasn't heard of them either. Well, at least other companies make em, I'd sure hate to hear a bunch of angry NEC owners in protest if their 2490WUXi's didn't have the S-IPS panels that NEC claims to use.... ;)

In the context of this thread, they = Dell. Unless they've done something drastic, I'm still pretty sure they (Dell), do not make S-IPS 24" panels and there's no lottery. And don't bother for 'fearrun' to keep checking/investigating the panel for any IPS qualities.

And WRONG, I've googled 'they' and I've found 1,770,000,000 possible companies:):).

**Edit number 2: just in case anyone else wants to nitpick. No, Dell doesn't make the panels. They buy them from other companies, and the ones they buy are PVA unless they've done something really recent.

Got mine today and while i haven't had much of a chance to play around with it, it looks very nice. Will be able to check the revision number once i get off work.
What's funny is that i bid and won a 2405 off of Ebay for $500 shipped brand new. But UPS lost the package so the seller offered the 2407 as a replacement for it for the same price. May not seem that great a deal, but was about $100 cheaper than anything else at the time i bought it.
Have seen no dead pixels staring at the screen for the 10 minutes i had with it after hooking it up but will use that DPB program to make sure later.

With the new Spring Update for Xbox 360, the new VGA settings look dramatically better on this monitor. It looked good before, but now the darks are richer as are the colors.

what other HD content is available to be displayed on this monitor? OTA HDTV? HD-DVD? blu-ray?

all this through VGA or DVI?

With the new Spring Update for Xbox 360, the new VGA settings look dramatically better on this monitor. It looked good before, but now the darks are richer as are the colors.

I agree. I bought the 2407 because it has 1:1 ratio, and was ok with a little washed out colors. Now the only thing I hated about the XBOX 360 VGA -> 2407 is gone. The monitor IMO is now PERFECT for my gaming needs.

Well i got my replacement and its worse then my first First monitor. My first one had 2 dead pixels but was fine. The new one has alot of backlight bleeding in the right corner and green ghosting.
I already got another replacement on the way. I think if the next one is messed up im going to just get a refund. cus this is annoying. anyone else have similar problems?

could anyone do me a favor and shoot some pics of this monitor with either a ps2 or original xbox? Connected with svideo or composite.
Thanks alot.

Well i got my replacement and its worse then my first First monitor. My first one had 2 dead pixels but was fine. The new one has alot of backlight bleeding in the right corner and green ghosting.
I already got another replacement on the way. I think if the next one is messed up im going to just get a refund. cus this is annoying. anyone else have similar problems?

That stinks. If it makes you feel better though, you made me feel better with my decision to hold on to one dead sub-pixel:) to avoid the curse of multiple exchanges.

are the A04's coming out like crazy yet or are people still getting A03's the first time around?

Just checked mine and i got a REv 04. Not a single dead pixel from what i can tell with the dead pixel buddy. Surprising to say the least.

Can anyone give a quick run down for me of what the different revisions mean? I have the TN panel E228wfp now and while I like it, I want a higher res. Main reason is so I can run my 360 @ 1080p over VGA but I want to play PC games at 1920*1200 to :p S-PVA > TN even if I get a crappy revision right?

Not entirely sure but i think the later versions adress the problems the older versions of the monitors had. (Back light bleeding, choppiness, ect) Probably a lot more here who can go into alot more detail than i can tho.

got a replacement for my A02, an A04 arrived from mexico

horrible, the screen was way too bright no matter how low I turned it down, on my PC and the monitor, no dead pixels but it was just horrible

I sent back my A04 and kept my A02. now I know why that was refurbished

Hmm seems my monitors Backlight bleed though the top right disappeared. Is that possible?

Hmm seems my monitors Back light bleed though the top right disappeared. Is that possible?

possible but improbable, generally back light bleed is poor manufacturing.. if the case wasn't snapped shut the whole way.. its possible that it did seat itself better, but improbable.. most of back light bleeding issues can be resolved if you take the monitor apart and make sure theres no gaps when its assembled.. obviously though.. it voids the warranty. so if you don'tknow what you are doing, or need to return it.. it must be undone.

possible but improbable, generally back light bleed is poor manufacturing.. if the case wasn't snapped shut the whole way.. its possible that it did seat itself better, but improbable.. most of back light bleeding issues can be resolved if you take the monitor apart and make sure theres no gaps when its assembled.. obviously though.. it voids the warranty. so if you don'tknow what you are doing, or need to return it.. it must be undone.
NVM. It didnt go away, it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

First, thanks to all who post here. I've been looking for a new monitor for some time and this forum has been a big help.

1) Had my dell 2407WFP A04 for a few days now. Great monitor. No dead pixels (used Dead pixel buddy).

2) Got the $569 deal with free overnight shipping, 3YR warranty

3) Brightness - I've seen lots of issues regarding brightness and I guess I'm a bit confused. First, I'm not an expert, so don't flame me if this seem stupid. But I used the brightness control via monitor menu and also thought at 0% (0..100 scale) it seemed too bright. But all I did was go into my nvidia control panel (7800 gt) and drop the brightness down. Heck, I can make the monitor look pretty darn dark. It would seem that the monitor controls are relative to the driver levels(brightness). Here again, I'm not exactly sure what is being affected when you change the driver levels for Brightness, but sure seems to work fine for me.

4) Having said all of #3, I've already noticed that I seem to need to "tweak" the monitor brightness more than I ever needed to with my old NEC CRT. Especially for video, it seems too dark without increasing the brightness on the monitor. (via drivers)

5) The stand is nice, seems solid. But if you use rotate the monitor into portrait mode, it doesn't seem to want to go quite parallel. Could just be my unit.

6) I guess I missed the fact that it didn't have traditional RCA jack input for a video source (Video,LAudio,RAudio). Minor complaint and my miss.

7. Still playing with DVD playback. I think the monitor is fine, but my rig setup needs some tweaking. DVD playback looks OK, but I was expecting better. Not sure if the Nvidia PureVideo player is what I need to try ($20). Any opinions?

Anyway, some initial thoughts. Once again, thanks to all those who took the time to post their impressions, it really does help everyone else out.

Kent

does anyone know why my 2407 cant display the progressive scan from my ps2?
referring to god of war 2 here
tried both s-video and composite but nothing comes out

does anyone know why my 2407 cant display the progressive scan from my ps2?
referring to god of war 2 here
tried both s-video and composite but nothing comes out

I believe progressive scan for the PS2 is limited to component only.

Just to let everyone know. I purchased a 2407 earlier this year it was an A03. I decided like many others that not having 1:1 was not good.
So I tried to work with Dell to send it back and get the A04. After numerous problems and at least 4-6 hours on the phone with Dell I recieved an Brand new A04 replacement. It was made in Feb 2007 from Mexico.

Worked fine until this week the power button broke and I couldnt turn the monitor on. Only had it a couple of months

So I called dell and they sent me another one. The one they sent was REFURBISHED.

It is an A04 but the A04 sticker on the back was a small sticker covering up the old one.
When I peeled the sticker back it was originally an A03.

I went into service mode and saw the monitor had only been used for 24 hours.

Looks like I got an A03 someone sent back and they flashed it to A04.

It looks like they are going to get rid of the A03's by flashing them and sending them out for replacements.

So far the one I got is pretty good. A little on the bright side but seems fine. No dead pixels or anything.

Why couldnt they just allow us to flash these monitors by putting the software on the web and letting us do it in the first place?

After what I went through in this mess I will NOT be buying from Dell when I get a new computer.

3) Brightness - I've seen lots of issues regarding brightness and I guess I'm a bit confused. First, I'm not an expert, so don't flame me if this seem stupid. But I used the brightness control via monitor menu and also thought at 0% (0..100 scale) it seemed too bright. But all I did was go into my nvidia control panel (7800 gt) and drop the brightness down. Heck, I can make the monitor look pretty darn dark. It would seem that the monitor controls are relative to the driver levels(brightness). Here again, I'm not exactly sure what is being affected when you change the driver levels for Brightness, but sure seems to work fine for me.

4) Having said all of #3, I've already noticed that I seem to need to "tweak" the monitor brightness more than I ever needed to with my old NEC CRT. Especially for video, it seems too dark without increasing the brightness on the monitor. (via drivers)

Yeah, I went from an analog LCD with contrast and brightness controls to the 2407 A04 so the brightness was too much for me. I went as low as 10 on the slider, but it was still overwhelming. Had to resort to the Nvidia slider too just to get the Desktop to something 'more' managable (gamma = 80). Turning down the RGB sliders to 80-ish helped as well; initially did this to get rid of most of the green/red ghosting though. Currently, it is acceptable when using dual browsers. However, I usually 'look' at websites with dark backgrounds on the left and the white on the right. My eyes start straining if I go with full white screens. Also, this monitor requires an extra 25W of lighting power from the ceiling cause the room it's in is too dark (2 windows: 1 is facing an alley, 1 away from sun). I would keep turning the gamma down, but then the colours turn into crap.

OK, I now have an xBox 360, and watching DVDs in 1080p with those scanlines in stretched mode is disgusting!

Since Dell refused to replace my A02 despite its lack of 1:1 support, does anyone think that these following issues will persuade them to send a replacement?

1. HD-DVD movies are stretched and have scanlines like bad interlacing.
2. Banding problems. Go to xBox.com or msn.com and tell me if the backgrounds show noticeable banding. On my A02, there is definite banding, though it's not awful, it's discernible enough.
3. 1:1 and aspect are grayed out while using Windows and DVI.
4. Component looks like garbage.

I wasted a frustrating 2 hours today getting the run-around between departments and being lectured with false information.

When I tried to get my A02 exchanged, the technical support was, of course, clueless about the problem. I was transferred to customer care about the exchange, but the monitor was purchased months ago and cannot be exchanged unless there is a technical problem. When I called back to the technical support line, I get the nonsense that this LCD was "meant for computer use and not for gaming systems" --yet when I tell them that this revision cannot even do 1:1 with computers, I get the witty reply that they do not "deal with revisions."

At this point, I'd just get rid of this monitor if I didn't really like its native resolution image, and if I actually had an xBox/ PS3.

Apparently, Dell's policy is now not to do anymore exchanges unless you purchased your 2407 within the last month.

this is just great my monitor somehow "lost" it's ability to scale 1920x1080 over VGA and DVI and I can't get it back. I don't know how it happened and I'm so annoyed now.....it's an A04 as it says V1B29 in the factory menu so I don't know why it can't do it anymore. Like I select through the wide mode options and nothing happens.

Ive been reading the HN208L6 in the a04 uses a s-ips but i thought only the nec 24inch used a s-ips? Anyways i got a HN208L6 and it looks great but a little pixel in the corner stays blue and only changes to different shades of blue so i got a new one coming in the mail and i get to pick a new one. When my new one arrives if its not a hn208l6 should i just keep the 1 blue pixel?

Ive been reading the HN208L6 in the a04 uses a s-ips but i thought only the nec 24inch used a s-ips? Anyways i got a HN208L6 and it looks great but a little pixel in the corner stays blue and only changes to different shades of blue so i got a new one coming in the mail and i get to pick a new one. When my new one arrives if its not a hn208l6 should i just keep the 1 blue pixel?

Have you tried 'unsticking' it? Blue/green stuck pixels are supposed to be easier to unstick unlike my red one in the corner. Also, where did you hear they used S-IPS in Dell panels? Sure you're not confused with the 2007 A04? From what I've read, it's only the 2007 that is being discussed in the "lottery thread" that has been using more IPS panels. Pretty sure they'd jack up the price before doing that with the 2407.

That's just great, I called dell again to receive my second replacement so it's gonna be a pain as I have assignments to deal with for uni....even though it works (partially) it's annoying to have it replaced again.

Can someone tell me please? I tried "search this thread" and found nothing. I want to know if this is an 8bit panel without having to search 47 pages of posts.

thanks,

Doh! I was just be browsing the Whirlpool pages and many post say that indeed, this is an 8bit panel. Anyone in the USA confirm this? I'm not really familar with that site.

thanks again..

I got my 2407 last week and I'm very happy with it except for the red stuck pixel on the right corner. I'm having a hell of a time contacting Dell support to do an exchange. Since LCDs don't have service tags I don't seem to be able to use their online chat to talk with someone. I might just end up returning it and ordering a new one. If anyone has any advice on getting exchange or knows if Dell usually charges restocking free when returning please post.

Back