• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Official BF2 1.2 Patch Feedback Thread

WhyYouLoveMe

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
6,513
Let's have a mature, intelligent discussion of the pros/cons of the new BF2 1.2 patch. What's that you say? Ok, I'll start if off...

Pros
- Smoother framerate (so it seems for me)
- In-game browser works finally
- AA actually acts like AA now
- Sniper rifles finally snipe
- Bunny-hopping while shooting GONE
- Dolphin-diving GONE
- No more C4 chucking (mostly good, kinda bad)
- More ranks to achieve
- Aircraft hit points more "realistic" (this is a game, not a sim)
- The AT kit's P-90 is an excellent alternative to the DAO-12

Cons
- Chopper missle decrease (but I think our chopper pilots will get used to it)
- Support machine gun a bit too accurate in my estimation
- In-game browser STILL clunky and unresponsive at times
- Red/blue name bug still there
- More "ghosting" of soldiers/vehicles/projectiles (gimme an Amen if you know what I mean)
- C4 chucking is gone but now you can't throw C4 over a wall or at a moving tank/vehicle (I just wish they would have removed the ability to throw/detonate before it hit the ground)
- Noob-tube still there (they did NOTHING effectively to address it)

Overall I like the patch and I think it's good for the overall gameplay of BF2. I welcome the challenge of air combat now and it'll make good pilots even better. :D

Now... can we have a good discussion without swearing at each other? ;)
 
Pros
- Smoother framerate (I've noticed it too)
- AA actually acts like AA now
- Sniper rifles finally snipe (One shot one kill)
- Bunny-hopping while shooting GONE
- Dolphin-diving GONE
- No more C4 chucking (Mines, C4 and Claymores are not grenades and should not be thrown)
- Aircraft hit points more "realistic"
- Ability to "bounce" and M203 'nade is very cool.
- Ability to toss 'nades further is great.
- M249 is a feared weapon now and not a popcorn tossing joke.


Cons

- TV missile range decreased to the point of uselessness.
- "Fake" AT missile (bug)
- TOW, AA missile get stuck in smoke stack to magically reappear and kill choppers

I love this patch.
 
Pluses:
No more gay ass jumping bunny hopping fags
Planes will actually die now like they should
AA turrents are actually useful


Cons:
Helicopters have become useless
Sniper damage range still sucks
Browser still blows hard.
 
"Helicopters have become useless"

i dont think they've become useless. i think there was a HUGE problem before though where the heli's were flying tanks with more mobility and more firepower. now, unless you do a quick sweeping run, you'll get shot down. this is a much better alternative to the past when you would frequently see a heli just slowly hovering in the streets absolutely destroying everything.
 
Pros: A good sniper rifle available to every army

Cons: Quadruple nerf on helicopters (armor, rockets, aa fix #1, aa fix #2)


I don't know why people whined about the attack copters. Is it only the helicopter fans who actually took the time to figure out how to kill them? Seems that way. Seems like the whiners want to be able to solo a helicopter crew... Think about it... think about how many helicopters are available, think about how much aa is available, think about how it takes two good players to make a great attack heli crew.

Nah, just whine and call them overpowered, ignoring the fact that they're SUPPOSED to be a serious threat.

Sometimes I get the feeling the groundpounders really just want 64 player CS with large maps, instead of the combined arms game the Battlefield series is supposed to be.
 
eastvillager said:
Pros: A good sniper rifle available to every army

Cons: Quadruple nerf on helicopters (armor, rockets, aa fix #1, aa fix #2)


I don't know why people whined about the attack copters. Is it only the helicopter fans who actually took the time to figure out how to kill them? Seems that way. Seems like the whiners want to be able to solo a helicopter crew... Think about it... think about how many helicopters are available, think about how much aa is available, think about how it takes two good players to make a great attack heli crew.

Nah, just whine and call them overpowered, ignoring the fact that they're SUPPOSED to be a serious threat.

Sometimes I get the feeling the groundpounders really just want 64 player CS with large maps, instead of the combined arms game the Battlefield series is supposed to be.

I have to respectfully disagree. I really think it was too easy to dominate a map in the attack chopper and even more so on Sharqi. All it took was two competant people and once you got the jump on the other chopper spawn-point it was round over. Sure an occasional squad or person would finally get some hits on you but I rarely got killed while flying around so I welcome the change. I really feel there was little challenge (and therefore little fun) in flying the attack choppers and capping flags at the same time. I'm glad that the attack chopper is now an attacking machine instead of a hover-craft with mini-nukes. :D
 
jester1176 said:
"Helicopters have become useless"

i dont think they've become useless. i think there was a HUGE problem before though where the heli's were flying tanks with more mobility and more firepower. now, unless you do a quick sweeping run, you'll get shot down. this is a much better alternative to the past when you would frequently see a heli just slowly hovering in the streets absolutely destroying everything.

... I guess you never saw them getting shot down by the smart people who know wtf mounted machine guns are good for?

... I guess you never saw them get knocked out of the sky by the tank commanders who were smart enough to fire both main round and machine gun at the copter, setting it on fire almost immediately?

... I guess you never saw the jetjockey come by and blow the copter out of the air with his guns, knock it down with air to air, or just plain ram it?

... I guess you never saw somebody with a m95 take out the gunner or pilot

... I guess you never saw somebody who knew how to use the SAM sites ( i.e. lock, wait for flares, relock, lead, fire ) who had no problem taking down the attack copters.

IMHO, the blackhawk was the only nasty copter, due to its armor and the fact that it sports dual chainguns of doom.

Simple fact of the matter is that the helicopters are no longer force balancers, they're just there for SAM/50cal target practice. What you have to do to keep from getting blown out of the air reduces your effectiveness drastically. You'll do more for your team now if you and the gunner just run around with PKMs.
 
eastvillager said:
... I guess you never saw them getting shot down by the smart people who know wtf mounted machine guns are good for?

... I guess you never saw them get knocked out of the sky by the tank commanders who were smart enough to fire both main round and machine gun at the copter, setting it on fire almost immediately?

... I guess you never saw the jetjockey come by and blow the copter out of the air with his guns, knock it down with air to air, or just plain ram it?

... I guess you never saw somebody with a m95 take out the gunner or pilot

... I guess you never saw somebody who knew how to use the SAM sites ( i.e. lock, wait for flares, relock, lead, fire ) who had no problem taking down the attack copters.

IMHO, the blackhawk was the only nasty copter, due to its armor and the fact that it sports dual chainguns of doom.

Simple fact of the matter is that the helicopters are no longer force balancers, they're just there for SAM/50cal target practice. What you have to do to keep from getting blown out of the air reduces your effectiveness drastically. You'll do more for your team now if you and the gunner just run around with PKMs.

All of your bullet points are easily negated by two intelligent players working together. ;)
 
WhyYouLoveMe said:
I have to respectfully disagree. I really think it was too easy to dominate a map in the attack chopper and even more so on Sharqi. All it took was two competant people and once you got the jump on the other chopper spawn-point it was round over. Sure an occasional squad or person would finally get some hits on you but I rarely got killed while flying around so I welcome the change. I really feel there was little challenge (and therefore little fun) in flying the attack choppers and capping flags at the same time. I'm glad that the attack chopper is now an attacking machine instead of a hover-craft with mini-nukes. :D

There are two guys in that copter making it effective.

If you and a buddy can't manage to shoot it down with two FAVs, you quite honestly need to practice more and whine less.

That is one of my biggest issues with the whines. There are people employing TEAMWORK to make that copter deadly, while you've got a bunch of solo whiners complaining that they can't shoot it down.
 
eastvillager said:
There are two guys in that copter making it effective.

If you and a buddy can't manage to shoot it down with two FAVs, you quite honestly need to practice more and whine less.

That is one of my biggest issues with the whines. There are people employing TEAMWORK to make that copter deadly, while you've got a bunch of solo whiners complaining that they can't shoot it down.

Yeah that's also a good point. Just simple teamwork between two people on a pub server can seriously whip the other team. lol
 
... I guess you never saw them getting shot down by the smart people who know wtf mounted machine guns are good for?

... I guess you never saw them get knocked out of the sky by the tank commanders who were smart enough to fire both main round and machine gun at the copter, setting it on fire almost immediately?

... I guess you never saw the jetjockey come by and blow the copter out of the air with his guns, knock it down with air to air, or just plain ram it?

... I guess you never saw somebody with a m95 take out the gunner or pilot

... I guess you never saw somebody who knew how to use the SAM sites ( i.e. lock, wait for flares, relock, lead, fire ) who had no problem taking down the attack copters.

yay! i love bullet points. they make me happy.

yes, I tried using mounted machine guns, and i could hit most choppers with a full heat bar and still not even see smoke.

hitting a chopper with a tank is a VERY difficult task. lets discuss this point a bit further. a tank has to worry about anti-tank units (sort of rare) spec ops units C4 (common) engineers mines (rare), other tanks, APC and then the air. so tell me, with so many ground units for a tank to worry about, when does a tank commander have time to look to the air?

a M95 getting a lined up shot on a gunner or a pilot? you have some nerve even LISTING this one. lol. unless you get them right as the rotors are spinning up, rarely, if ever, do snipers have the angle required to get this shot off.

SAM sites were nearly useless before this patch. even the "attack" choppers were so heavily armored that it would take 3 shots to get one down. by the time the second one hit, a smart pilot has already made his way back to base to repair.
 
I saw that video this morning. I watched it over and over again, and found it quite amusing.

BTW, this thread started out with good intentions but quickly degenerated into a chopper noob whine fest.
 
Moose777 said:
I saw that video this morning. I watched it over and over again, and found it quite amusing.

BTW, this thread started out with good intentions but quickly degenerated into a chopper noob whine fest.

Said the pot to the kettle.
 
they could have had one patch note and i would have been happy though. the fact that they fixed dolphin-diving or whatever people call it makes me want to play the game again. i can handle getting rained on by a freaking tank with rotors, but if i have someone dead-to-rights and they turn around, start jumping around like an idiot and i die because of it, i get angry.
 
jester1176 said:
they could have had one patch note and i would have been happy though. the fact that they fixed dolphin-diving or whatever people call it makes me want to play the game again. i can handle getting rained on by a freaking tank with rotors, but if i have someone dead-to-rights and they turn around, start jumping around like an idiot and i die because of it, i get angry.

Dont play HL2 Deathmatch then or you will be dissapointed.
 
C4 chucking should have been allowed. It's not particularly realistic, but it isn't completely unrealistic either (Semtex and C4 aren't complex technology in regards to how they're detonated).

The changes made to the helicopters are superb. They were ridiculously overpowered and had way too much armor (I'm sorry, but a tank round would shred a helicopter without even slowing down).

Helicopter maneuverability is still ludicrous though; they're slow and unresponsive. Desert Combat came out years earlier and did it infinitely better than BF2...they made flying noob-friendly because unskilled fools kept looping them in DC.
 
NightWind said:
Said the pot to the kettle.
Uhhh....when have I bitched about the choppers? I'm not a pilot. :rolleyes:

I just pointed out a con of missile distance, they went from 800 yards to 500....for no reason. The weapon itself is still accurate and deadly.

I'm not crying about being shot down.

<===Support Specialist my job is to protect my squad with suppressive, grazing, and covering fire. Its not my job to worry about incoming air, tanks, APCs or Humvees. Thats the job of AT, AA and TOW.
 
Moose777 said:
Uhhh....when have I bitched about the choppers? I'm not a pilot. :rolleyes:

I just pointed out a con of missile distance, they went from 800 yards to 500....for no reason. The weapon itself is still accurate and deadly.

I'm not crying about being shot down.

<===Support Specialist my job is to protect my squad with suppressive, grazing, and covering fire. Its not my job to worry about incoming air, tanks, APCs or Humvees. Thats the job of AT, AA and TOW.


You whined about the whiners.
 
I believe the split about the issue of Helicopter Dominance is probably due to what version of BF2 people are playing. Helicopters in BF2 are pretty well balanced even with the lack of AA because of the open field setup (everyone sees you, everyone shoots you) and the fact that BF2 maps always have mobile AA which tear the helicopter to shreds, oh, and jets. The jets on the other hand were way too powerful and there was no way of bringing them down (even when they were flying low, putting on the air brakes, dropping a payload right on an AA placement).

In BF2:SF, the attack Helicopters were way too powerful due to the "fog of war", bare AA placements, no mobile AA, and no jets to fend them off. I forget which map in BF:SF (the one with the railroad track down the middle and the top controllable base has a fence around it) the helo flyboys will just fly the attack helicopter in circles around the base by the ravine killing everyone way too easily, go back and repair, and repeat process again. (I give props to them, it really is skillful flying. Not sarcastic, I wish I had that skill.)

I love flying helicopters (attack AND transport-they need loving too) so it was pretty easy to tell the BF:SF ones were a bit too powerful.

Pros:
No bunny hopping and dolphin-diving. Thank your respective God(s).
No more punishes for your own team not noticing the red skulls on the ground by your flags.

Cons:
Can’t throw C4 while running/jumping. Why?
 
I better do an on-topic post as well! :)

Pro:

- Dead dolphins and bunnies, yay!

Con:

- Nametag bug still not fixed! grrrrr


That is all. :D (I was never really bothered by anything else)
 
Pros: Sniper rifles actually work, as well as SRAW. Seems a bit smoother.

Cons: Some weird vote bug going on? Still takes forever to connect to account server. Tank still can't take out a Humvee in one shot, unless you fire MG early and shell a second later. Noob toob still owns.
 
From my reading at another forum this is what I've read about the patch:

1. AWP sniper rilfe and PKM own. Many people are just camping with them.
2. P90 is nothing special. (bummer, it looked cool)
3. AA missles blow up stuff now.
4. Choppers are a risky prospect to fly in.
5. To go from prone to standing quickly, you must crouch, then stand, otherwise it's slow.
6. No chucking C4.
7. More ranks.
8. Circle straffing has replaced bunny hoping/diving.
9. Various other small things.
 
eastvillager said:
Sometimes I get the feeling the groundpounders really just want 64 player CS with large maps, instead of the combined arms game the Battlefield series is supposed to be.

I think that you just hit it on the nail. Also, there's a part two to this equation. The noob factor. More weapons have been made easier to use (support "sniper cannons" anyone?) when it takes skill to master some of these weapons. Same goes for AA. If you intelligent on the AA you could take out a slick just fine. Get lock on, let the retard pop his flares and wait for next lock :) Anyhow, I think, as I posted in my thread about this earlier, the patch is aimed at the LOWEST common denominator rather than a middle ground. Oh by the way, the red player name bug STILL not fixed. Oh yeah, and the C4 chucking being disabled is stupid. It made the SF guys legitimate threats against tanks, now you have to be pretty much a retard in a tank to die by C4.
 
anyone know .. or notice differences from full patch.. vs .. incremental. I keep getting jitteriness on servers.. choppy really. I uninstalled bf2 .. and reinstalled.. did incremental .. still does it.
Should i uninstall again and get the full patch????
 
Not really. Have you been getting the "jitteryness" at the beginning of getting on the maps? This has been happening to a lot of ppl.
 
i thought the nerfing of the choppers was a bit excessive
i like being able to snipe like i should be without a 2/5 chance of hitting nothing for no reason
the improved support weapon also seems better though i rarely play it
havent flown in a jet yet
the aa...well its nice that it acctually hits the target now but sometimes it really shouldnt have..for instance the oil rig nonsense
 
-Did they fix the invisible walls? Like the one on Dragon Valley?
-I still can't talk/type after the game has ended. This is such a good place to recap while the next level is loading (or right before it loads).

I can play support and sniper now. That's cool. More than the AA is the ease as which a plane can take out a chopper. One small spray of bullets - and a chopper is down. This is a bit much imo.

Overall, I can probably adjust to it.
 
chojin_1999 said:
In BF2:SF, the attack Helicopters were way too powerful due to the "fog of war", bare AA placements, no mobile AA, and no jets to fend them off. I forget which map in BF:SF (the one with the railroad track down the middle and the top controllable base has a fence around it) the helo flyboys will just fly the attack helicopter in circles around the base by the ravine killing everyone way too easily, go back and repair, and repeat process again.

Umm... That map is called Mass Destruction and it has 2 bare AA turrets, one mobile AA vehicle and several FAVs/trucks and 2 APCs. There's more anti-chopper stuff on this map than there is on Sharqi. I'll agree that the "fog of war" thing on this map makes it a bit easier for the chopper to "hide" in the air but at the same time it's harder for the chopper pilot/gunner to see ground targets.
 
Weazmeister said:
Oh by the way, the red player name bug STILL not fixed.

Please forgive me for not knowing a thing about programming, but seriously, HOW FUCKING HARD COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE TO FIX?????
 
I despise the fact that they got rid of chucking... engineers and spec ops are practically gimps now.

And the fact that the cockpit view in vehicles now take up like, 3/4's of the screen.
 
I'm just going to give my Pro/Con counterpoints to WhyYouLoveMe:

Cons
- Sniper rifles finally snipe. I never had ANY issue with the sniper rifles in SF. I have a 45% lifetime accuracy with the sniper rifles.
- Bunny-hopping while shooting GONE (removal of this was a bad decision. Can you jump and shoot in real life? Yep, accuracy is going to be shit though. )
- Helo hit points more "realistic", that along with the reduction of missiles, elimination of splash damage from the BH mini-gun, and reduced range of the TV cam has made the helo's flying targets. This is from someone who plays a LOT of AA.
- The AT kit's P-90 is an automatic pistol, literally.

Pros
- Support machine gun is now perfect, there was never any reason for someone prone with the MG36 not to have the same accuracy or better(Bipod) as someone prone with the G36E.
 
I'll say this again, C4, mines and claymores are NOT grenades and should not be thrown at a target. So the fact that they eliminated the ability to throw them is a good thing, it now means that your Snipers, Engineers, and SpecOps need to think about where they are going to place their demolitions and try to place them covertly so they aren't spotted.

As for the sniper rifles and SAW being unfair. How so? Before it took between 2 and 4 shots to take someone out with the sniper rifle. In real life it takes 1. So, they made the sniper rifles more realistic. In real life the SAW is a feared weapon due to its high cyclictic rate of fire and the fact that its accurate upt to 600 yards. In BF2 you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you were standind next to it. So, they made it so you could effectively use the rifle up to about 400-500 yards.

I think the patch is very balanced. Because now it forces you to act like a team and aas a miitary unit who thinks.
 
bf2 1.2 patch = crap. before the patch, driving the vehicles felt like driving on the moon (not like i have ever done that. Im just imagining) and now they feel like driving on the moon with no front wheels. and the apc's in water cant turn at all. and the gatling gun on the u.s chopper doesnt kill anyone anymore unless you are 2 feet away from them. The attack choppers arent too bad with only 8 missiles... at least now it takes a bit of skill to kill tanks. but, all in all, I think they totally biffed the game up with the new patch
 
DisrupTer911 said:
AA goes to oil rigs due to heat signiture.

He was talking about the AA/oil bug found in Zatar where the oil tower actually shoots an AA missle at you. Watch the movie posted earlier in this thread.
 
Back
Top