Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Europe had all that jazz in their firmware long time ago. The only firmware trouble is with North American BenQ's.

Hi,

Im new to these forums but have been reading about this monitor here for about a fortnight and have decided to buy one after reading all the praise for it.

I have just one question - what is the overscan issue and what is its fix? What features of the monitor are affected? I have sifted through countless pages on this thread but cant quite figure out what all the fuss is about.

I will only be using this monitor as a PC monitor, with perhaps the possibility of installing a blue-ray drive some time in the future to watch HD movies. Will a lack of this overscan fix affect me, as I am unsure of whether or not I can get a monitor made after Sept 07.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Im new to these forums but have been reading about this monitor here for about a fortnight and have decided to buy one after reading all the praise for it.

I have just one question - what is the overscan issue and what is its fix? What features of the monitor are affected? I have sifted through countless pages on this thread but cant quite figure out what all the fuss is about.

I will only be using this monitor as a PC monitor, with perhaps the possibility of installing a blue-ray drive some time in the future to watch HD movies. Will a lack of this overscan fix affect me, as I am unsure of whether or not I can get a monitor made after Sept 07.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Without the overscan option 'off', HDMI, component, and VGA inputs will not display video (DVD player, XBOX 360, PS3) 1920x1080 signals properly 1:1 (PC 1920x1080 signal is ok). So if you are going to use HDMI input, you better get a Sept 07 build W.

DVI is fine with 1920x1080 at 1:1. So one way of bypassing all the overscan problem is to use DVI or HDMI switch (if you have multiple video sources), then a HDMI-DVI cable and hook up to FP241W's DVI input.

Without the overscan option 'off', HDMI, component, and VGA inputs will not display video (DVD player, XBOX 360, PS3) 1920x1080 signals properly 1:1 (PC 1920x1080 signal is ok). So if you are going to use HDMI input, you better get a Sept 07 build W.

DVI is fine with 1920x1080 at 1:1. So one way of bypassing all the overscan problem is to use DVI or HDMI switch (if you have multiple video sources), then a HDMI-DVI cable and hook up to FP241W's DVI input.

OK, but if I cant get the Sept 07 model, I should still be OK for PC use right? It's only when you add players/xbox/ps3 that you run into this problem as you need to use one of the other iniputs?

What about hooking up the PC via VGA? still the same problem?

And what happens if you just keep overscan on? What happens when you hook up one of the 3 other inputs with overscan on?

OK, but if I cant get the Sept 07 model, I should still be OK for PC use right? It's only when you add players/xbox/ps3 that you run into this problem as you need to use one of the other iniputs?

What about hooking up the PC via VGA? still the same problem?

And what happens if you just keep overscan on? What happens when you hook up one of the 3 other inputs with overscan on?

Without overscan option, overscanning is on by default for inputs other than DVI. You will see 4 black bars on all sides when sending 1920x1080 video signals (it is actually underscanning because the image is shrank).

PC signals are ok for all inputs.

It is perfectly fine for PC use.

Without overscan option, overscanning is on by default for inputs other than DVI. You will see 4 black bars on all sides when sending 1920x1080 video signals (it is actually underscanning because the image is shrank).

PC signals are ok for all inputs.

It is perfectly fine for PC use.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll get one of these monitors this week then.

On the contrary there are still issues firmware wise in Europe; the stock here is quite long in the tooth.

The monitor I ordered here in the UK in mid Jan didn't have the overscan fix, because it had been manufactured in April.

On the other hand, after some communication with BenQ, the monitor was picked up to be upgraded on Thursday. Turn around is 6 working days on average at the moment, should be back in about a week and a half. No hassle, and friendly support staff! Impressive! ;)

I have a question. When watching TV on this display via component video cables connected to my HD Cable box I have black bars on the top and bottom of my picture. The monitor settings are set to the following: overscan off and 1:1. If I set it to "full" instead of 1:1 it fills the screen, but everything looks stretched a little. Is there any reason that the image doesn't fill the screen when using 1:1? Thanks in advance.

I have a question. When watching TV on this display via component video cables connected to my HD Cable box I have black bars on the top and bottom of my picture. The monitor settings are set to the following: overscan off and 1:1. If I set it to "full" instead of 1:1 it fills the screen, but everything looks stretched a little. Is there any reason that the image doesn't fill the screen when using 1:1? Thanks in advance.

HD Cable Box (and other product like HD-DVD, BlueRay, Xbox, PS3, ..), have a picture ratio of 16:9 (1920x1080) and your monitor have a ratio of 16:10 (1920x1200).

When you use the 1:1 option, the 1920x1080 resolution of the Cable Bax goes to the 1920x1200 resolution of the monitor, then you have 120 lines (1200-1080) without information that make the black bar on top end bottom.

Another way of explaining this is your monitor has resolution of 1920x1200, and your HD cable box output at 1920x1080.

Can you figure out how 1920x1080 pixels going to fix 1:1 onto 1920x1200 screen?

Can you figure out how 1920x1080 pixels going to fix 1:1 onto 1920x1200 screen?
Yes...you just have to use the new inflationary math 1:1 = 1.11:1

It's a formula that uses only ones and therefore predicts that 1080 must equal 1200. :D

Or you just have to be willing to not acknowledge those 120 'extra' pixels, then it's 1:1 mapping.

Or you just have to be willing to accept that HDtv aspect ratio is 16:9 and PC widescreen is 16:10 and that 16:9 <> 16:10 and that 16:10 is the superior aspect ratio. Then send a serious missive to your cable provider complaining how they're cheating you out of 120 pixels every month and you're only going to pay 90% of your bill.

Yes...you just have to use the new inflationary math 1:1 = 1.11:1

It's a formula that uses only ones and therefore predicts that 1080 must equal 1200. :D

Or you just have to be willing to not acknowledge those 120 'extra' pixels, then it's 1:1 mapping.

Or you just have to be willing to accept that HDtv aspect ratio is 16:9 and PC widescreen is 16:10 and that 16:9 <> 16:10 and that 16:10 is the superior aspect ratio. Then send a serious missive to your cable provider complaining how they're cheating you out of 120 pixels every month and you're only going to pay 90% of your bill.

The answer is 42.

1:1 should work with DVI-D mode. What are you hooking up to?

If you are annoyed by the height of monitor then you should be aware that FP241VW is not height adjustable.

Hello,

I plugged the monitor into the DVI port of my computer with a Radeon X800XT and 1:1, Full, and Aspect work as they should.

When I plug the monitor into either of the dual link DVI ports on my other computer with a Geforce 8800GTX, full works in 1920x1200. If I go to a non native resolution, it reverts to only aspect mode. Trying to switch to 1:1 or full just results in a flash of the monitor and it shows aspect again.

Hello,

I plugged the monitor into the DVI port of my computer with a Radeon X800XT and 1:1, Full, and Aspect work as they should.

When I plug the monitor into either of the dual link DVI ports on my other computer with a Geforce 8800GTX, full works in 1920x1200. If I go to a non native resolution, it reverts to only aspect mode. Trying to switch to 1:1 or full just results in a flash of the monitor and it shows aspect again.

Each different version of 8800GTX driver has a different effect on FP241W. I have a 8800 Ultra and when I updated to the newest driver, different thing happened. nVidia software engineer seems to change the auto detect function a bit when they updated driver each time. So try an older driver.

Hello,
today I bought FP241WZ in Europe, Mfg June 2007, it has overscan on/off etc same as sep 07 US build I assume. Just for those in Europe wondering if they need sep 07 build to get overscan option or not, you can get a june 07 build if you in europe and all should be ok.

Hello,
today I bought FP241WZ in Europe, Mfg June 2007, it has overscan on/off etc same as sep 07 US build I assume. Just for those in Europe wondering if they need sep 07 build to get overscan option or not, you can get a june 07 build if you in europe and all should be ok.

The WZ is a different model really. Wrong thread.

I bought the FP241W back in November, is the US Benq giving us firmware upgrades for overscan? if not I'm just gonna get a switch box, tired of waiting for this crap. Without having to go through the entire thread again, I'm guessing the component is not fixed in any recent firmwares as well?

I bought the FP241W back in November, is the US Benq giving us firmware upgrades for overscan?

You can try calling their US/Canadian support line again, but last I spoke with one of their managers a couple of months ago (upon first hearing of the Sept 2007 releases), I was told that, although it was fixed at the manufacturing level, they had neither received a separate firmware update nor gotten news of one coming for updating older units. He further added that, since the monitor is at the end of its lifecycle (being that AU Optronics isn't making the panel anymore) that such a firmware coming is doubtful. The best chance, which wasnt guaranteed, was then to send your monitor in if it needed any other kind of repair and hope it got swapped out for a Sept 2007. And they specified that a firmware update request is not considered a repair. As NCIX had also said, BenQ doesn't consider the lack of a certain firmware release to be a defect, thus they don't do swaps. Especially given that the European laws for such things differ a lot from North American ones.

speaking of overscan:

i have the sept. '07 build so overscan "off" option works fine. i noticed that the overscan option is shaded out (can't be selected) while using the DVI input and have my laptop connected to it.

I was just wondering, if i hook up my PS3 (watching blu-ray) or HD cable into the DVI input, will the overscan option show up? will there be a green/purple scan line on the bottom of this picture as well, when having the overscan option is set to "off" while using DVI input (similar to when overscan is "off" while viewing blu-ray/HD cable using the HDMI input)?

Just a quick question, I have just bought the FP241W from Aria.co.uk in the UK and the box says it was manufactured in June 2007. Is this the latest firmware? In DVI mode I have the overscan On/Off option but it is greyed out, does this mean it has the latest firmware or do older versions all have this.

I'm just a bit confused as I thought the latest firmware (with the overscan option) was issued in September 2007, although some people have said it was May 2007, in which case I expect I do have the latest firmware...

Delivery was pretty quick with Aria, ordered on a Saturday morning and it arrived on Tuesday, including the "No Dead Pixels" check. They also had it on special so it was £411.19 inc VAT (reduced from £452.32). It currently still is but there are only 3 left on special at the time of this post, so hurry if you want one!

Just a quick question, I have just bought the FP241W from Aria.co.uk in the UK and the box says it was manufactured in June 2007. Is this the latest firmware? In DVI mode I have the overscan On/Off option but it is greyed out, does this mean it has the latest firmware or do older versions all have this.

I'm just a bit confused as I thought the latest firmware (with the overscan option) was issued in September 2007, although some people have said it was May 2007, in which case I expect I do have the latest firmware...

Delivery was pretty quick with Aria, ordered on a Saturday morning and it arrived on Tuesday, including the "No Dead Pixels" check. They also had it on special so it was £411.19 inc VAT (reduced from £452.32). It currently still is but there are only 3 left on special at the time of this post, so hurry if you want one!

In UK, June 07 manufactured should already have overscan option. In North America, it is September 07 build that has overscan option.

DVI never got overscan therefore never got the overscan option.

Overscan on/off is for the other connections.

i've searched through this whole thread but didn't find answers to the question i have that's holding me off buying this monitor..

can it do 1920x1200 at 72hz? this feature is absolutely essential for movie watchage as i'm from pal-land and extremely sensitive to judder.

hey folks, it's been almost a year since I bought my fp241w and it has 1:1 firmware loaded. One thing that I noticed, although very infrequently but more frequently these days, is that the screen would occasionally blink on/off for a sec. This happens mostly on my pc, very very seldom on my PS3. My pc is connected to the screen through the stock DVI cable, from onboard gefore 6150. Does anybody know what could be the problem?

The blinking out problem is an issue that doesn't have a concrete fix AFAIK.

btw, are you using component or HDMI for PS3?

shambles said:
can it do 1920x1200 at 72hz? this feature is absolutely essential for movie watchage as i'm from pal-land and extremely sensitive to judder.
I don't think any LCD monitor supports 1920x1200 at greater than 60 Hz, especially since that hits the upper limit of single-link DVI. If anyone knows of one, I'd like to know.

i know single link tops out at 1920x1200@60hz but i was hoping the monitor would support the higher bandwidth of dual link.. oh well :/

hi I'm just wonder is the fp241w model being discontinue since i see most canadian online store does no sell them no more and even some us store like newegg doesnt sell it no more?

thanks

hi I'm just wonder is the fp241w model being discontinue since i see most canadian online store does no sell them no more and even some us store like newegg doesnt sell it no more?

thanks

Yes these are EOL and you are SOL.

thanks

yup, they are all sold out. If you don't mind refurb, i've seen this thread at redflagdeals.

The website says only 1 left...

good luck.

fyi (if you weren't being sarcastic) SOL = sh*t out of luck among other things

yup, they are all sold out. If you don't mind refurb, i've seen this thread at redflagdeals.

The website says only 1 left...

good luck.

fyi (if you weren't being sarcastic) SOL = sh*t out of luck among other things

ya thinking about that, hopefully going to get a 2nd hand vw missed out on a 2nd hard w already, if things doesnt work out then maybe order from benqshopper or get a g2400 or wait for new samsung 24"

I'm using dvi for pc and hdmi for ps3. It very seldom blinks on hdmi though. I wonder if it has to do with the hdcp handshake where it losses sync for a sec sometimes. I know some LCD TV does that, particularly the westingshouse tx42 that I had last time.

EDIT: I looked up on the "black out" issue, and have seen a clip posted on youtube. It is exactly the same issue but yeah it only happens on dvd-d. I'm not even sure if it happens on hdmi because I'd connected my ps3 to dvi-d some time ago which it blinked but now I've moved it to hdmi slot and hasn't quite seen the problem.

I read that BenQ has acknowledged this issue....did I read wrong? Should I contact Benq to let them know I have this problem in case I need a claim on it when my warranty expires?

Hey buddy, I ordered today the last one from Aria Specials. It should be with me tomorrow. How's is the display? How did you get the 'No dead pixels' check done? I haven't seen such an option on the website...

First time poster here,

Does anyone know weather theres going to be any price drops soon, seems a bit steep ATM, about £434 was the lowest i could find the Benq fp241w for.

Or is there any webites that i have missed out that do these for cheaper???

Sorry if this has already been aswered, but i cant find it!

Back