Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I recently got my benq fp241w, and it's awesome. I also have a dreamcast, and the phenomenal game, Ikaruga. Ikaruga is an overhead shooter, and it has two display options. One is the standard horizontal mode, while the other is a vertical mode in case your display has the option to rotate 90 degrees (or if you want to put your tv on its side).

Now with the FP241W, it has the vertical (or portrait) mode, so I eagerly plugged the dreamcast s-video connection to the back of the monitor, swung it clockwise 90 degrees, and selected the vertical display option. However, to my dismay, the ikaruga's vertical mode swung the image counter clockwise, so that the picture was oriented upside down on the monitor.

So the question is, is there any way to flip the picture of the s-video input? I don't believe there is. Anyone have any other ideas to get my game right side up?

Thanks!

How noticeable the bars trails are at PM=1? Faint like not noticeable if you don't look carefully, or like noticeable, but not much disturbing? Can you see them only when you move the pic real fast, or on average (like head turns in games) movements as well?

And in general -- seen any of these trails or motion blur (or anything else disturbing) in games? Like light trails around NPCs, corners?

I just ran a few games like BF2142, Dirt, and COD4 demo. Those fast action intro video clips looked fine with FP241WZ. There is no perceivable ghostly blur that I can see in intro and in actual game playing as well, except there is a little bit of tearing in BF2142 (1600x1200) when I moved the camera left and right really fast. I don't know if tearing is the problem with monitor or video card because my NEC 19" CRT monitor would also experiencing tearing as well.

Thanks again. The tearing you mention might be a V-sync issue. Try to find an ingame option "enable V-sync" or check the same in the video drivers. Tearing be gone, but the FPS will be limited to 60 (as it's an LCD).

Does PerfectMotion's flicker disturb you in these games? And have you checked the problem zones for blur / ghosting (contrast parts, corners, trees, grass, NPCs) carefully or just were playing? Sometimes you miss visual artifacts when the game is too good and immersing :)

I wanted throw this little kernel out there. I cannot for the life of me effectively use the sniper rifle in Halo 3 when playing on the Benq FP241WZ. I'm thinking there may be some killer input lag that makes sniping virtually impossible. I'm going to put this theory to the test. I'm going to hook up my 360 to my old CRT display. I used to use the CRT for Halo 1 and 2 gaming and I never had a problem sniping. I'll report back shortly. In the mean time though, sincerely believe there's some killer input lag that makes efficient sniping virtually impossible.

Thanks again. The tearing you mention might be a V-sync issue. Try to find an ingame option "enable V-sync" or check the same in the video drivers. Tearing be gone, but the FPS will be limited to 60 (as it's an LCD).

Does PerfectMotion's flicker disturb you in these games? And have you checked the problem zones for blur / ghosting (contrast parts, corners, trees, grass, NPCs) carefully or just were playing? Sometimes you miss visual artifacts when the game is too good and immersing :)

I ran COD4 demo, stranglehold demo, and Crysis demo again looking for blur or ghosting, and didn't really notice anything obvious or horrible. Of course when I panned left and right really quickly in Crysis, of course there will be blur, but I thought that was normal. I don't see the need for turning on the PerfectionMotion. Hopefully someone else will give you a better testing.

Tearings bother me more than blur/ghosting, but there is no V-Sync control in BF2142.

As for input lag, I don't know if this is true or not, but isn't it thereotically if you set the monitor on 1:1 pixel mapping, it should bypass all the scaler processes therefore reduce input lag?

EDIT: I just ran Crysis demo benchmark a couple times at 1920x1200 medium setting 40fps. The benchmark ran quite fast, I haven't observed any blur or ghosting, so that should put your mind at ease. Unless you have some games in mind want me to test on?

Nice to know. Seems like WZ is the best 24'' all-rounder today. The lag in the native res is acceptable (27ms), non-native res adds lag, of course.

You can force the V-sync in your nVidia settings. It's in 3D Settings > Program Settings tab > (Game name) > Vertical sync (the last line).

You don't play Oblivion by chance?

As to the previous poster's question on the blackouts, just found this:

Black screen over DVI
I have a new FP241WZ. I too had problems with it flipping to black for a bit then coming back.

I found that my nVidia drivers were not sending positive sync pulses for both horizontal and vertical. I fixed the sync polarities in the advanced timings dialog, no trouble since.

Why nVidia did not do this in the first place is a mystery to me. The DDC info indicated positive syncs and the display driver also specifies positive syncs.

This may help you folks with this same problem on the W

It's not 100% confirmed, but you might try. Please post if it helps.

Hello,

Does this monitor still comes with a blackout problem? Did they fixed it? If yes after what manufacturing date there is no blackout? I have one with a blackout problem, can I send it to service for repair? Also I need to buy two new 24 monitors so if blackout is still an issue I am thinking of buying 24 Dell. Is there a third option in this price range?
Thanks...

If by blackout you mean the monitor not displaying an image for a second & coming it back? If so it does exist in the monitor I picked up a few weeks ago from NCIX. It has jan manufacture date. Support from NCIX & Benq is a JOKE! NCIX you never EVER get a live rep & if you leave VM..you do not get a call back. Benq they pick up the phone but the techs are arrogant little kids. I advise you buy the dell.

There seemed to be mixed information going out about overscan w/ DVI (with non PC devices) early on in this thread. I recently purchased a DVI switch and I can confirm that there is 0 overscan and 1:1 works perfectly with my xbox360 and HD PVR going through the DVI port. This is with a north american model.

To answer all 3 previous posters:

Yes, I have Oblivion. Today, I just picked up its expansion pack, so I am going to test it soon.

Regarding to occasional blackouts, I believe it is more of video card issue. Previously I had blackouts, FP241WZ was connected to Apple MacBook with DVI connector. Now I hooked it up to 8800 Ultra, so far there is no blackout (knock on wood). More testing is needed regarding this issue.

From what I have read and testing myself, the overscan (underscan actually) issue is with HDMI and not DVI input. My Philips DVD player will produce 4 bars on all sides using HDMI, while correctly displayed 2 bars top and bottom using DVI input 1920x1080p.

There seemed to be mixed information going out about overscan w/ DVI (with non PC devices) early on in this thread. I recently purchased a DVI switch and I can confirm that there is 0 overscan and 1:1 works perfectly with my xbox360 and HD PVR going through the DVI port. This is with a north american model.
Where did you buy yours and how are you connecting your 360?

"Where did you buy yours and how are you connecting your 360?"

I bought a Gefen 4x1 DVI switcher (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4172). It certainly is not cheap but everything works perfectly with this solution. I have a newer Xbox with the HDMI port so I bought an HDMI to DVI cable and hooked it up to the switch...same thing with the HD PVR.

I bought a Gefen 4x1 DVI switcher (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4172). It certainly is not cheap but everything works perfectly with this solution. I have a newer Xbox with the HDMI port so I bought an HDMI to DVI cable and hooked it up to the switch...same thing with the HD PVR.
Cool, thanks for the link on the switch.
Where did you buy your monitor? I'm sending back my 2407WFP-HC and I'm hoping to pick one of these up for a similar setup, so it's nice to see confirmation of this working.

"Where did you buy yours and how are you connecting your 360?"

That is a rip off price for a single-link DVI switch. I bought a DVI SINGLE LINK 3 TO 1 SWITCH W/AUDIO & REMOTE made by by BAFO Technologies for CDN $77:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1066131457F&vpn=BF-3361&manufacture=BAFO TECHNOLOGIES

http://www.bafo.com/products-bf-3361.asp

pup-3361-black.jpg

very well built, all metals like a brick. The model # is BF-3361. It is the one with audio + remote. I hooked up to Samsung 275T 27" 1920x1200 using single link DVI cables and worked really well. It even got a infra-red remote receiver with really long cable.

Connector :

Input—DVI
Output---DVI
Power---DC Jack
IR input
Power Consumption: 5V 1A
Indicator : Power, Source
Switch Selection : push button or IR remote
Supported Resolution : 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p / VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA
Video Bandwidth : Signaling Rates up to 1.65 Gbps
Supports HDCP compliant devices
Physical : Aluminum
Dimension : 244*57*53mm
Environment :

Operating Temperature : 0 °C to 50 °C
Storage Temperature : -40 °C to 105 °C
Package : White box

DVI& Audio 3-to-1 switch
IrDA set
AC Adapter
Quick guide

Just ordered the FP241W

I got it for $500 + 6% tax + $9 shipping

I returned the LG L246 because i wasn't wowed by it and it got an awful review at a respected site - xbitlabs. I had also noticed that the viewing angles while pretty good were not great..... and a weird purple tint visible on the XP logon screen at the lower left.

Been using my CRT since..... man 1360x1024 is TOUGH! But the games, they look so beautiful!

Anyway...

Did I get a good deal? I got until page 56 and my brain shut down. Is there anything I should know?

Just ordered the FP241W

I got it for $500 + 6% tax + $9 shipping

That's pretty good. Where did you get that deal?

I decided to go ahead and buy this monitor so I would love to find a good price. So far it seems to be the cheapest on NCIX (too bad USD is going down...)

Got some quick questions about this monitor as today is the last day I could take advantage of the full refund option on my Dell 2407-hc for the overdrive ghosting issue.

I've been reading parts of this thread, but can't go through all 200+ pages, it's way too much and don't have time :) So, hooking up a PS3 to the HDMI port and using 1:1 pixel mapping will not work properly at 1080p? I'm in North America btw. If it doesn't work perfect on NA distributed ones, how does it do for ppl in Europe and Asia? At least that would give me an idea if there is a chance to get a good firmware down the road.

That's pretty good. Where did you get that deal?

I decided to go ahead and buy this monitor so I would love to find a good price. So far it seems to be the cheapest on NCIX (too bad USD is going down...)

In Canada NCIX has many... sister?? sites.

All of them are like -2, -5, -10 bucks difference than NCIX's prices, but they offer different deals each week, and they sometimes have different shipping promos.

So 499 is about 70 bucks less than regular price, which is only a couple bucks less than NCIX. But free shipping saved another 35 over and above. The 9$ is insurance for the entire order.

I thing 500 is a good price for a monitor like this because it's approximately what a high-end consumer CRT cost a few years back.

But it's still more than I'm willing to pay. If I'd waited a few more months I think prices would stabilize at 450 or 425.

Next big thing IMO is High Gamut and eventually LED.

I ordered it from tddirect.ca

The monitor is back at regular price, but I'm sure it'll hit that price again soon. Keep an eye on all the ncix affiliates. I've found 3 so far

ncix.com
tddirect.ca
directcanada.com
nxsource.ca

Got some quick questions about this monitor as today is the last day I could take advantage of the full refund option on my Dell 2407-hc for the overdrive ghosting issue.

I've been reading parts of this thread, but can't go through all 200+ pages, it's way too much and don't have time :) So, hooking up a PS3 to the HDMI port and using 1:1 pixel mapping will not work properly at 1080p? I'm in North America btw. If it doesn't work perfect on NA distributed ones, how does it do for ppl in Europe and Asia? At least that would give me an idea if there is a chance to get a good firmware down the road.

Just use a HDMI > DVI cable and 1:1 is perfect. That is what I use with my PS3 and 360.

thanks 65535 & RB30 for those store infos. I am most likely going to go with 0 dead pixel warranty as it looks like AUO's quality control is not as good. Do we have the $50 rebate here in Canada too?

crispytreat, I'd like to avoid getting a DVI or HDMI switch, that's why I was asking about the HDMI quality. In an ideal world, I'd like to use DVI for pc, HDMI or component 1080p for PS3. I know component is pretty bad, but wanted to see if HDMI is as bad as well.

Also, how do the models released in Europe and Asia behave with the newest firmwares?

ok, finally found the solution. Ninjak (Charles D_B) and 10e mentioned it at the ncix forum . After that I read up on posts starting from end of July and some others confirmed it too. Now I feel better returning the Dell 2407 HC.

PC: through HDMI with DVI->HDMI adapter
PS3: through DVI with HDMI->DVI adapter

Too bad it is like this but at least it will work. Now a question for lads from UK, with the overscan fix: Benq only fixed HDMI and component is still overscanning?

I actually liked the Dell a lot as it is nice looking with wide gamut. Unfortunately there were 2 problems with it for me: the overdrive ghosting and not allowing 1080p over component for PS3 (and no HDMI to use instead).

BTW Benq doesn't give a f***k that component must be limited to max 720p, right? Now if that input would work perfect, and at 1080p, I would have been a happy camper. Could have saved me some money as I already have a $40 Sony component cable and have to buy an HDMI one now as well.

I haven't been following this thread for a while so I apologize if this has been covered. But here goes, for the past few months I have had my Toshiba HD A20 hooked up to this monitor to watch my HD-DVDs and never had a problem. The other day all the sudden the monitor won't pick up the signal. It just says "no signal detected". I have it hooked up to the DVI slot, do you guys have any idea what could have happened? I really want to get it working again, it just seems so strange not to work out of the blue like that. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

I haven't been following this thread for a while so I apologize if this has been covered. But here goes, for the past few months I have had my Toshiba HD A20 hooked up to this monitor to watch my HD-DVDs and never had a problem. The other day all the sudden the monitor won't pick up the signal. It just says "no signal detected". I have it hooked up to the DVI slot, do you guys have any idea what could have happened? I really want to get it working again, it just seems so strange not to work out of the blue like that. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

1. Could be your connection somewhere came loose? Check cables and connectors. Double check it by hooking up to a PC DVI output.

2. Search the web for HD A20 firmware update.

1. Could be your connection somewhere came loose? Check cables and connectors. Double check it by hooking up to a PC DVI output.

2. Search the web for HD A20 firmware update.

Thanks for the reply. And I screwed up the details, I actually have the A2. But anyhow, I actually updated the firmware to the latest and didn't have any better results. I also made sure the connection was good. Any other thoughts on why all the sudden it wouldn't work?

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have a deposit down on the last FP241WZ at my local NCIX, but yesterday I just found out that the manufacturer date is January 2007. The price on this is $609.

I called today and asked about the manufacturer date of the FP241W, and was told it is September 2007. This is on sale for $549.

1.)Would be there be any difference between these 2 in terms of firmware (to fix blackout problems, 1:1 / overscan etc.)?
2.)Would I miss anything special by not getting the BFI technology in the FP241WZ?
3.)Are the panels used, exactly the same?

At this point, I'm leaning towards saving some money and just getting the newer-manufactured date FP241W unless someone tells me the BFI feature is a must-have and/or the FP241WZ has a better panel / firmware.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have a deposit down on the last FP241WZ at my local NCIX, but yesterday I just found out that the manufacturer date is January 2007. The price on this is $609.

I called today and asked about the manufacturer date of the FP241W, and was told it is September 2007. This is on sale for $549.

1.)Would be there be any difference between these 2 in terms of firmware (to fix blackout problems, 1:1 / overscan etc.)?
2.)Would I miss anything special by not getting the BFI technology in the FP241WZ?
3.)Are the panels used, exactly the same?

At this point, I'm leaning towards saving some money and just getting the newer-manufactured date FP241W unless someone tells me the BFI feature is a must-have and/or the FP241WZ has a better panel / firmware.

Thanks in advance!

I got my FP241WZ from NCIX as well last month, Jan 07 manufactured. It only has 1:1 pixel mapping. BFI is useless since I haven't seen ghosting or blurriness in normal gaming usage without turning on BFI. Both FP241WZ and FP241W use the same excellent A-MVA panels.

So if I were you, I would get the FP241W with newer firmware. Please let us know if you do get the overscan option with September 2007 manufactured date.

Don't worry about blackouts, as I have experienced, it is more of computer dependent issue. If you do encounter it, it is only a small nuisence.

Thanks for the reply. And I screwed up the details, I actually have the A2. But anyhow, I actually updated the firmware to the latest and didn't have any better results. I also made sure the connection was good. Any other thoughts on why all the sudden it wouldn't work?

Have you tried with PC DVI output?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I have a problem with my fp241 or not.
So first of all I bought mine in late january hoping to get a firmware fixed 241w, but I didn't.

I sent my benq to service and it took them over a month to get the firmware updated. Also they didn't answer my calls nor my e-emails concerning my display during that time ! Only got one txt-message saying 'we are waiting for a new part to your display'.

Finally I got my benq back and enjoyed using it (I still do). though I didn't use it much during the summer. So now to the real problem: After summer was over and days started getting darker here in Finland, I noticed ugly (red) backlight bleeding. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I first got my display and set it up. Since I did a pretty good inspection :rolleyes: .

It has really started to bug me during the last few weeks when playing games with a friend (in person) so I can't exactly be in front of the computer and during dark scenes I can see the small red glow or when I'm watching movies (with dark scenes) from the sofa which is about in a 45 angle to the monitor.

Here are some screens about the problem
http://mbnet.fi/madmax/benq/

So is my monitor faulty? is that normal ? not far from normal ? should I just live with it ? or should I try to get a new monitor. (No way I'm gonna try to let them 'fix' it again for 4 weeks)
Does Benq support really suck that much :confused:

I payed 1100€ / ~1600$ for the monitor and being a poor student it is a big deal :(

Thanks for reading! sorry about the typos it's 4AM here

Hi flove:

I know this may sound kind of stupid, like for CRT monitor/TV if you put a pair of magnetic device such as unshielded speakers on the sides of CRT monitor for a while, the images will get color change (something like red bleed on the sides). So the CRT monitor has to degauss after a long usage (my CRT monitor has that feature built in). I have never heard of LCD monitors would have this kind of problem, but just wondering if you have anything strong magnetic such speakers on both sides of monitor?

I got my FP241WZ from NCIX as well last month, Jan 07 manufactured. It only has 1:1 pixel mapping. BFI is useless since I haven't seen ghosting or blurriness in normal gaming usage without turning on BFI. Both FP241WZ and FP241W use the same excellent A-MVA panels.

So if I were you, I would get the FP241W with newer firmware. Please let us know if you do get the overscan option with September 2007 manufactured date.

Don't worry about blackouts, as I have experienced, it is more of computer dependent issue. If you do encounter it, it is only a small nuisence.
Thanks a lot for the quick answer, much appreciated.

Do you by any chance, have an Xbox 360 connected through HDMI to your FP241WZ?

Sorry, I don't own XBox360. Even my cousin who lives next door only got the old XBox360 without HDMI output.

Hi flove:

I know this may sound kind of stupid, like for CRT monitor/TV if you put a pair of magnetic device such as unshielded speakers on the sides of CRT monitor for a while, the images will get color change (something like red bleed on the sides). So the CRT monitor has to degauss after a long usage (my CRT monitor has that feature built in). I have never heard of LCD monitors would have this kind of problem, but just wondering if you have anything strong magnetic such speakers on both sides of monitor?

Thank you for your input,

Actually I do have big speakers on both sides and amplifier about 50cm/ 1feet above the screen. Amp has a big magnet field since old CRT went crazy around it and that was one of the main reasons I decided to switch to LCD. I've also had the belief that LCD's aren't affected by magnet fields, just like you mentioned.

Tried moving them around a little bit to see if there would be some kinda effect on the screen. I didn't notice any changes but maybe it's permanently damaged if that is in fact the reason. I'm gonna ask Benq if their LCD's are/could be affected by magnets.
If it turns out to be the reason I'll probably gonna need to replace my speakers around my display and move the amp. On the other hand if the red backlight bleed is some kind of defect I'm certainly going to demand a new monitor :mad:

Once again, thanks for the reply! much appreciated

The answers you get to that will depend on where the response comes from. BFI aside, the W and WZ use the same firmware, so the 360 (I have an Elite connected via HDMI to my W) gets cropped on all 4 sides in 1:1 mode in North America while overseas with their overscan firmware it doesn't. I happened to phone BenQ NA again and got told directly this time that the W/WZ is not going to be getting any more firmware. Before they were saying it could be possible in the future, but that seems to have gone out the window.

The answers you get to that will depend on where the response comes from. BFI aside, the W and WZ use the same firmware, so the 360 (I have an Elite connected via HDMI to my W) gets cropped on all 4 sides in 1:1 mode in North America while overseas with their overscan firmware it doesn't. I happened to phone BenQ NA again and got told directly this time that the W/WZ is not going to be getting any more firmware. Before they were saying it could be possible in the future, but that seems to have gone out the window.
Is it any different for the FP241VW? I'm considering that as well.
I'm in Canada by the way.

When did you buy your XBox360 Elite? Because another poster saying his new Halo3 edition XBox360 with HDMI output does show picture correctly (top and bottom bars only) on FP241WZ (manufactured Jan 2007) via HDMI?

I am thinking of getting a XBOX360 Elite, but if only Halo3 edition can output HDMI signal properly then I will have to reconsider.

Also, if you guys check out the BenQ USA website and download the FP241WZ manual in PDF format, it actually has the overscan option included in the manual.

Is it any different for the FP241VW? I'm considering that as well.
I'm in Canada by the way.

My friend (in the states, like me) bought the VW a month or two ago and has none of the overscan issues so far when using his component connection on hie 360 Premium. I forget which month the manufacture date was, but it was fairly recent. I believe he'd said the VGA connection is still useless, but he doesn't have any HDMI equipment to test overscan there with.

When did you buy your XBox360 Elite? Because another poster saying his new Halo3 edition XBox360 with HDMI output does show picture correctly (top and bottom bars only) on FP241WZ (manufactured Jan 2007) via HDMI?

I am thinking of getting a XBOX360 Elite, but if only Halo3 edition can output HDMI signal properly then I will have to reconsider.

Also, if you guys check out the BenQ USA website and download the FP241WZ manual in PDF format, it actually has the overscan option included in the manual.

I bought my Elite shortly after its release date, but it's not specifically an Xbox 360 issue since the PS3 does the same exact thing. It's crops the 1080p image with bars on all four sides instead of displaying properly at 1:1. Only the DVI port behaves properly.

Back