Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Got my FP241WZ yesterday. No dead or stuck pixel so I'm quite glad, but the backlight bleed could be better or maybe I'm just being too sensitive. You tell me

I have seen much worst. So it could be a lot worst. It looks more like a back light uniformity issue then back light bleed to me at least.

Knowing BenQ it will only get worst before it gets better, so I would say it's a keeper, you risk a lot more then that if you try to exchange it.

Got my FP241WZ yesterday. No dead or stuck pixel so I'm quite glad, but the backlight bleed could be better or maybe I'm just being too sensitive. You tell me

Have you tried to move your head horizontally while viewing the monitor? From your picture, it looks like right side (and probably left side too) is brighter. If you position your head on the right side and the brightness goes down on the right side then it could just mean that is viewing angle issue of LCD. Even though A-MVA LCD panel has a viewing angle of 176 degree, but as you far away from the 90 degree angle, it will gets brighter. 24" is a big screen when viewing up close. So when your head is position directly in the center of screen, both sides of screen at an angle will naturally look brighter.

I have a question about the differences between the FP241W and FP241WZ. I know about the flicking backlight that is supposed to reduce ghosting, but other than that is there much difference? Particularly, is there much difference in image quality?

I have a question about the differences between the FP241W and FP241WZ. I know about the flicking backlight that is supposed to reduce ghosting, but other than that is there much difference? Particularly, is there much difference in image quality?

Image qualities suppose to be the same. They all use A-MVA panel by now. Some places, such as NCIX.com weekly sales, actually sell FP241WZ cheaper than FP241W by a large amount.

Whats the max refresh rate for the fp241wz? Whats a safe refresh rate to leave it at?

Computer will auto detect the FP241WZ to be 60Hz, so you probably won't have a choice other than 60Hz, unless you manually set it to other refresh rate.

I just received a FP241W from Newegg. I have not opened the box yet since I found a sticker that stated a build date of Nov 2006. I did not expect Newegg to have such old stock. I have found many references on this forum about firmware changes and find myself in a quandry now. I plan to use DVI only, but may use other inputs in the future. I will be contacting Benq and Newegg re this issue - and would appreciate any feedback from forum members.

I just received a FP241W from Newegg. I have not opened the box yet since I found a sticker that stated a build date of Nov 2006. I did not expect Newegg to have such old stock. I have found many references on this forum about firmware changes and find myself in a quandry now. I plan to use DVI only, but may use other inputs in the future. I will be contacting Benq and Newegg re this issue - and would appreciate any feedback from forum members.

Nov 2006 build may not have the 1:1 pixel mapping and aspect mode firmware. Jan 2007 build should be fine. Please confirm this with other members or read this thread.

Nov 2006 build may not have the 1:1 pixel mapping and aspect mode firmware. Jan 2007 build should be fine. Please confirm this with other members or read this thread.

RB30 is correct. Only 2006-dated monitors sold by NCIX have the 1:1/Aspect firmware because BenQ worked with them giving NCIX permission to apply the update, rebox the system, and sell it (as was the case with my Nov 06 monitor purchased from them in Feb). Everyone was supposed to have exhausted their older stock by now and have it replenished with 2007 models, so it is rather surprising that Newegg had any to get rid of. I think it's a good idea not to have opened that box, tgaa. But, unless Newegg can confirm what manufacture date you would get in an exchange (likely not), your only recourse may be to contact BenQ's support and see if they'll let you do a swap, although they may make you have to pay to ship it out to them. Newegg would likely charge you a restocking fee to return it, but then you could purchase one from NCIX which would guarantee you one with the 1:1/Aspect fix on it.

Have you tried to move your head horizontally while viewing the monitor? From your picture, it looks like right side (and probably left side too) is brighter. If you position your head on the right side and the brightness goes down on the right side then it could just mean that is viewing angle issue of LCD. Even though A-MVA LCD panel has a viewing angle of 176 degree, but as you far away from the 90 degree angle, it will gets brighter. 24" is a big screen when viewing up close. So when your head is position directly in the center of screen, both sides of screen at an angle will naturally look brighter.
I think that was the case, though the right side is certainly a little more brighter.

By the way, is that red tint normal?

Anyone in the US have any update on the Overscan fix for older models? I have one from NCIX with the original aspect fix.

DVI is fine
Component is crap
HDMI is crap
VGA haven't really used it

Anyone know if a DVI switch will work that will support both 1080P and the computer's 1920 x 1200 resolution?

Anyone in the US have any update on the Overscan fix for older models? I have one from NCIX with the original aspect fix.

The last two times I spoke to them, they didn't even know the fix existed overseas until I told them. All the BenQ US tech could say was that it was possible they could get it for Noth America, but they have no information on it whatsoever and there's no indication of a patch coming for us. It's likely up to BenQ Global to tell them, at their choosing, that a patch is or isn't going to be available for certain markets. I'd since reported that we shouldn't expect to be getting it in North America. The sole consolation I got was that, given the 3 year warranty, we'd have that long after a purchase to get such a firmware installed for free, should it emerge. Also good news for those in the US who may not know: I was told that I could ship my monitor to them in a NJ location, not having to send it all the way out to California for a fix. Other than that, the only thing we can do is use DVI<>HDMI cables to get around most of the issues.

NCIX is having weekly sale on FP241W this week for a new low of CDN$549.99 for anyone who is interested in it.

Yeah its cheaper i will give u that but he said that supports 1080p and 1920x1200 that switch dosent support it

I have used the monoprice HDMI switch and some HDMI to DVI cables to connect my 360 and PC to the DVI input. The switch had no problems displaying the 360 at 1080p and the PC at 1920x1200.

Image qualities suppose to be the same. They all use A-MVA panel by now. Some places, such as NCIX.com weekly sales, actually sell FP241WZ cheaper than FP241W by a large amount.

Thanks for that. The Z if often cheaper here in the UK too, which is why I was interested. If the picture quality is the same and the only difference is the backlight, I might as well have it since the flickering is entirely optional.

I received my screen on Thursday - and unfortunately I have one dead pixel in the center :(

Can someone verify if they have some sort of little discolored marks in the plastic around the screen. They are on every edge (on the plastic - near the screen) about half way on each side.

I will try to get a new one on Monday- hopefully they will work with me. I paid around $700 - and I think I deserve 0 dead/stuck pixels :(

Anyone have try Crysis beta with this monitor WZ?
I notice some lag and really bad ghosting, unlike fear, oblivion, COD2 or BF2. Even the beta has low fps around 42-50fps avreage.

I was checking for dead pixels - and I also noticed that I have a little (1cm x 1 cm) shaded area in the bottom left corner of the screen... it looks the same as if you press on the screen and it makes this foggy mark.

hi.

i buy my W few days ago, and...fantastic.nice picture, colored colors, biiiig :p . but, have few questions. read lots posts in this thread, but not find some things.

:confused::confused::confused:
-how to see revision?
-which program is best for testing dead pixels?
-calibration sugestions (running in def settings)

thx..:cool:

model is:
fp241W
rev:b5-127
april 2007

Got mine today to replace a 2407FWP with which I was less than impressed. Of the two I've had, this one is a much better panel image wise. Just for reference to UK buyers. The FP241W at EBuyer are March 2007 and no overscan, but does have the 1:1 option.

After a lot of research I have bought the FP241W from NCIX today...cannot wait for it to come in so I can practice my Fear Skillz!!! lol

Shipping and Handling $46.95
Shipping Insurance (1.5%): $9.21
SUBTOTAL: $670.13
YOUR TOTAL:
All quoted prices are in US DOLLARS $670.13

End the unconstitutional / lawless income tax VOTE Ron Paul for president 2K8!!!
www.RonPaul2008.com

Got mine today to replace a 2407FWP with which I was less than impressed. Of the two I've had, this one is a much better panel image wise. Just for reference to UK buyers. The FP241W at EBuyer are March 2007 and no overscan, but does have the 1:1 option.

When you say 'no overscan' do you mean the option is not available or the issue is fixed. I've had mine delivered today, same manufacture date - but am not sure whether to keep it.

I plan to use the HDMI for Virgin+ HD cable - will it be affected? DVI for PC and component for a Wii.

Views welcome.

hi.

... have few questions. read lots posts in this thread, but not find some things.

:confused::confused::confused:
-how to see revision?
-SOLVED
-calibration sugestions (running in def settings)

model is:
fp241W
rev:b5-127
april 2007

no answer :confused:

i need some user experience with calibrations for best results with picture quality, and wanna know how to see which is firmware and revision on my monitor.

thx again ;)

I don't get it. Can you tell me how did you check the rev. (rev:b5-127) if you don't know how to do it? :confused:

After a lot of research I have bought the FP241W from NCIX today...cannot wait for it to come in so I can practice my Fear Skillz!!! lol

YOUR TOTAL:

End the unconstitutional / lawless income tax VOTE Ron Paul for president 2K8!!!
www.RonPaul2008.com

NCIX is selling FP214W at current weekly sale for $549.99:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19235&vpn=FP241W&manufacture=BENQ&promoid=1019

So how did you manage to add up to $670?

Also did you purchase the zero dead pixel insurance?

BenQ FP241W 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 6MS 1920X1200 1080P 1000:1 500CDM VGA DVI-D HDMI Pivot
In stock 19235 1 $584.73 $584.73
Express Coverage - with "ZERO Dead PIXEL" Exchange (See Terms & Conditions for Details) (19235)
In stock 13783 1 $29.24 $29.24
YOUR TOTAL:

so 549.99 Canadian dollars = 563.16831 U.S. dollars

Calling them right now...

I have never been able to get anybody in customer service since I placed my order...left VM.

Thx

I have a question. I just ordered one from benqshopper.com This monitor has HDMI, so if I plug a HDMI cable from my Video Card (2800XT, that can output Audio via HDMI) to the monitor, will the monitor output the audio? Does it have Audio-Out ports?

I have a question. I just ordered one from benqshopper.com This monitor has HDMI, so if I plug a HDMI cable from my Video Card (2800XT, that can output Audio via HDMI) to the monitor, will the monitor output the audio? Does it have Audio-Out ports?

FP241W doesn't have speakers nor audio out port.

FP241VW has audio out port.

BenQ FP241W 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 6MS 1920X1200 1080P 1000:1 500CDM VGA DVI-D HDMI Pivot
In stock 19235 1 $584.73 $584.73
Express Coverage - with "ZERO Dead PIXEL" Exchange (See Terms & Conditions for Details) (19235)
In stock 13783 1 $29.24 $29.24
YOUR TOTAL:

so 549.99 Canadian dollars = 563.16831 U.S. dollars

Calling them right now...

I have never been able to get anybody in customer service since I placed my order...left VM.

Thx

If you go to your tracking order section and go into your order #, you can leave a text message. They usually reply within one day unless it is a weekend.

I'm in London and was thinking of buying the Benq FP241WZ but after reading all these posts i'm going to stear clear of them.
It seems they are just too much trouble if you have a problem.
I want to buy the new Gateway 24" but it's not for sale in the UK.

dropped my monitor into repairtech (benqs firmware installers) at their office in Southam (near leamington spa) on Friday. Very helpful lady on reception seemed to know all about the firmware etc. Its going to be shipped back to me sometime this week hopefully

I just got my FP241W and tested out Halo 3 on it. There is SO MUCH ghosting it makes me dizzy. One of the reasons I purchased this was because of all the reviews I've read claiming zero or close to zero ghosting for FPS games like Halo 3.

I'm running it at 720pixels high on the XBOX --- 'aspect' through D-SUB to the display.
Is there a setting I'm missing ? There are ZERO complaints like this from other owners I'm not sure what to do. :confused:

someone know what this marks on sticker means: rev:b5-127?

how to know which rev. realy this monitor is?

and, have strange issues..on 1680x1050 res have strange red line on top and left side of screen. hmm hmm :confused:

If you've just bought the said monitor and are starting to have some issues with it it's really beneficial for you to start at the beginning of this enormous Thread and work your way thru it to find the answers.

If your still having issues then i suspect you shouldn't of bought it before some research at the very least.

Start at the beginning guy's, i'm sure the answer is in here somewhere.
I fore one won't be buying the Wz model now after reading about the poor Customer Service, maybe it's better here in the UK, but i'm going to air on the side of caution and look at Samsung or LG instead.:)

The Gateway XHD3000 30" Widescreen looks stunning but it's not for sale here in the UK either, damn and double damn.

Back