Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I wonder if they even gave you the right update. After all, we have pictures of the FP241VW in Korea with the Overscan option in the menu, so obviously the right update is floating around out there somewhere.

I just want this problem fixed soon. It's a bit of a drag seeing all sorts of jaggies on my PS3 and Xbox 360 because of improper scaling.

Does the VW use the same firmware as the W & WZ? Or do they latter ones need a modified version of the VW's?

Maybe there are some settings to let your graphics card scale to the native resolution rather than the monitor doing it? Or maybe the graphics card is scaling and it is causing a conflict with the monitors scaler.

I checked in nvidias control panel and it was set to use the "monitor scaling". I tried to change it to "nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio" and now it displays correctly. :)

Does the VW use the same firmware as the W & WZ? Or do they latter ones need a modified version of the VW's?

I wish we knew for sure, but if BenQ USA tells me I can't get this overscan firmware for my W then I am going to be extremely irritated. Assuming they wouldn't exchange it for a VW after I argue over the lack of HDMI's usefulness at 1080p and higher, my pristine W will go right onto eBay so I can buy a VW from a US/Canadian dealer once the overscan firmware availability is confirmed. In fact, since NCIX.com was authorized to do firmware updates to the W line, I'm hoping they'll be allowed to do the same to any VW stock they have without the update. I'll miss the swivel and height adjustment of the W, but I'll take a properly displayed picture over that for sure. The only reason I'm even still hanging onto the original W's packing material has been the hope that the firmware emerges and I can ship it to California for the fix.

-update-

Decided to phone BenQ again. When asked if there was an update to the overscan problem coming, the friendly tech at first thought I meant the original 1:1 problem. I told him that I already had the first firmware to fix that, but that I wanted to know when one would fix the overscan so that the 1:1 displays PS3 and 360 Elite correctly over the HDMI, adding that I noticed one was coming for the VW. I got placed on hold for two minutes then he came back telling me that one is being worked on, though he knows not when it'll be ready.

this is just fucking ridiculous, and as george bush would say, the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing. im completely ready to shell out the 700 dollars for this monitor, but not until it works flawlessly, and why in the hell shouldnt it? how can a company with a working fix in one country not know how to translate it into english to get the majority of the peoples' working. and how the hell can it have taken this long? id really like to know what they were expecting when they released the thing, and why manufacturers in general dont know that there are a ton of people who want a monitor with one hdmi and one dvi, and they want both to work properly. atleast give us two fucking dvi's, since the sound is useless anyways. im so pissed at the entertainment industry right now. weve got all this new HD shit coming out, and nothing that can display it at the proper resolution nicely. 32 in lcds have less pixels than my laptop, and the monitors that have enough either dont have HDMI, or they have only ONE HDMI and no dvi , which is even more retarded than one DVI and no HDMI, because the monitor doesnt have speakers!

Amen to that!
I seriously doubt that fixed firmware will be available worldwide. If I were Benq I wouldn't do it because it would be waste of time. This LCD's reputation is just too bad and nobody (inluding Benq) is able to keep track all those (3-4 so far) firmware updates. It would be much better/faster/cheaper introduce new model line, for example FP241W+ so everyone (customers and mainly retailers) could easily recognize fixed panels.
Benq sales representative in Czech Republic didn't even bother to reply to my e-mail about firmwares.
I am seriously thinking about getting HDTV instead. My favourite is 40" Samsung LE40M86BD which has 1:1 pixel mapping, 1080p24 and numerous inputs. One has to be also very careful about firmware too but it seems to be easier than dealing with Benq.
There is a thread and FAQ about LE40M86(7)BD:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377

Amen to that!
I seriously doubt that fixed firmware will be available worldwide. If I were Benq I wouldn't do it because it would be waste of time. This LCD's reputation is just too bad and nobody (inluding Benq) is able to keep track all those (3-4 so far) firmware updates. It would be much better/faster/cheaper introduce new model line, for example FP241W+ so everyone (customers and mainly retailers) could easily recognize fixed panels.
Benq sales representative in Czech Republic didn't even bother to reply to my e-mail about firmwares.
I am seriously thinking about getting HDTV instead. My favourite is 40" Samsung LE40M86BD which has 1:1 pixel mapping, 1080p24 and numerous inputs. One has to be also very careful about firmware too but it seems to be easier than dealing with Benq.
There is a thread and FAQ about LE40M86(7)BD:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377

They've already promised it to several customers so if they can't come up with the goods then they're gonna find some monitors winging their way back!

Did I understand things correctly? This monitor does do 720p perfectly in aspect mode. But any mode of 480p or 1080i/p are flawed? Does it display 720p over component and vga properly?

Alright, maybe its the wiring in my house (which will be hard to believe since this house was just built), but whenever I plug in the power cable for my BenQ monitor, my stereo speakers buzz (dreaded 60hz buzz?). I cant figure out why this is happening and the only issue I can link it to would be a grounding problem. Do you have any advice on how to get rid of this? I run my Yamaha stereo through my Headphone jack on my Powerbook (headphone jack to RCA). This hasnt happened before - only when I moved in here. WTF is going on?!

Did I understand things correctly? This monitor does do 720p perfectly in aspect mode. But any mode of 480p or 1080i/p are flawed? Does it display 720p over component and vga properly?
Does this monitor do 1:1 720p correctly?

The more I read here, the happier I am that I went with the Dell HC.

Now available on Costco.com (and .ca) by the way.

They better fix the damn component too since that shit doesn't work properly for the WII. I wanna play Dragon Quest Swords in WS. Since the WS doesn't display properly for the WII. Well its good that we know that the new firmware is being worked on.

I am seriously thinking about getting HDTV instead. My favourite is 40" Samsung LE40M86BD which has 1:1 pixel mapping, 1080p24 and numerous inputs.

that would be a nice alternative, albeit an expensive one, and the pixels are going to be much bigger, which personally i have a problem with. now that the ps3 is utilizing the new HDMI 1.3, with its 48 bit color, im kind of considering waiting for something that can actually display that.

Does someone have the answer to my questions? :)

yes, 720p seems to be fine over component, i don't know about vga but i would imagine so.

1080p and 1080i are not right,(they are shrunken) on component and hdmi. on vga (through a 360, not sure about other devices) 1920x1080 is seen as 1680x1050 and fills the entire screen so loses quality and is streched.

i don't personally know about 480p but have heard that it is also not displayed correctly

Hi All,

Quick questions... I'm looking for a new big monitor, like 24". I have done a ton research the last couple days, and it looks like the BenQ FP241W and FP241WZ is one of the best out there for that price range. (looks to be around $700 range or so, give or take a little) My main use is Digital Photography representation of extremely accurate sRGB standards so I can send files to the Pro Photo Lab and they print out how they look on my monitor, etc. I'll be calibrating it using the Eye-One Display 2 system. I will also be surfing the web a ton on it as well. I don't intend to use it for Movies at all, nor games much either. Also, I prefer the monitor to have black bezel, not silver. It looks like the FP241W is available in black now, but I don't mind paying for the WZ if it's slightly better, or whatever. Also, I like the monitor to have the swivel option for portraits, since my main use is Digital Photography.

(also, I'll be connecting my EVGA nVidia 7950GT graphics card up to this monitor via a DVI to DVI connection, if that makes any difference).

Here's a main questions...

1. The reviews of the FP241W are great, but the reviews for the FP241WZ don't seem as good, which is confusing to me, as I thought the WZ model was just an updated W model essentially? Is the W better than the WZ for my needs, or are they both the same quality level?

2. Does the WZ model have the same issues as the W model as far as stretching the image out and over-scanning, etc? I see the WZ is supposed to have that fixed, but from what I read there are still issues with it.

3. The Samsung 244T looks to be the same price as these BenQ models, is the 244T better/worse/same than the FP241WZ? I've looked a lot at the 244T.

4. Currently I have a 20" monitor set at 1680x1050, and it looks like the jump to a 24" monitor will have me at 1920x1200. I was kind of hoping to not have my text while browsing the web, etc, have to be any smaller, and was actually hoping maybe the 24" size would make things a bit larger and easier to read, but I'm not sure if given the increase in resolution, things are going to look smaller or bigger with the bigger monitor. By my calculations, jumping from 20" to 24" is a 20% increase in length diagonally, and the jump in resolution to 1920x1200 yields an increase of about 30% more pixels on the screen, but I wasn't sure how all that would translate to text size while surfing the web, etc.

Thanks in advance for anybody that can shed some light on any and/or all of these questions.

er hm
i duno if I would be using either display for your business.

ever check out the planar 26" i have on order? if you could, the NEC version of it is even better but sux for gaming. nec is pricey though and nearly the same. Just thought I would throw these out.

Well, I have read reviews of people using the Samsung 244T in sRGB mode, and getting images to the Pro Lab to print and getting excellent results.

So I guess I was trying to figure out if the BenQ is as good as the Samsung, since the BenQ is a lot newer than the 244T.

er hm
i duno if I would be using either display for your business.

ever check out the planar 26" i have on order? if you could, the NEC version of it is even better but sux for gaming. nec is pricey though and nearly the same. Just thought I would throw these out.

Do you have Links to the 2 models you are talking about? (or at least model #'s?)

Would be easier to know what you're referring to that way... thanks!

The NEC is called the NEC 2690WUXi or the NEC 2690 is just easier to say.

it is expensive like above 1500 dollars expensive. It has input lag about 2 full frames worth. It has more accurate color and a 12 bit lookup table which supposedly makes it easy to calibrate itself.

the next one is the one which I will be reviewing/using/having fun on this week, that is the Planar 26". They both use the same "panel" but the planar is 1000 dollars. it can be bought for 952 dollars at places. PX2611W is the model number. the nec is annoying to find info about, but the planar is easy on here, and from planar.com's site.

The planar people turn out to be really personable. just dont talk to the sales department they suck ass. tech/problems department is neat.

I would never spend more than a few hundred on any component normally and a monitor normally my max is like 600+ tax about. this is my biggie purchase. :)

taking time to get here.... zzz.... zzz..

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it, and will look into those monitors.

You mentioned you wouldn't really consider the monitors I mentioned, for the photography digital workflow process.... any reasons why? Have you compared them to the monitors you mentioned, or calibrated them or anything? I'm just wondering how you came to that conclusion, since everything I read about the particular BenQ and Samsung models I mentioned were outstanding, and comparing them to at least the Planar, they have as good or better specs. (Planar only 800:1 contrast ratio?)

After checking, I guess it looks like the Planar 24" doesn't have HDCP, and the 26" Planar does.... according to Planar's website that is.

i have no idea what the 24" planar is actually. never thought about it until now. well, that's that though, in the mail... on its way... 26 baby...

pva will have higher contrasts than all.

but.... although that is nice, the lag/input lag/ghosting wont be there on the h-ips 26"

its a completely different ballgame sorta thing

Well I have had my FP241W monitor collected and replaced by Benq.

The first monitor they gave me via a direct replacement service, had no overscan on/off options, and the DVI connection would not work, so not a great start there :p

After another email exchange, they agreed to swap over my monitor again. I asked them that I wanted the overscan on/off option to be installed 100%, and they agreed and apologized for the inconvenience.

Have a look at this, HDMI to HDMI connection used, set to 1:1 in menu, overscan off:
http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00577ke3.jpg

The same, but set to fill:
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00569xx5.jpg

Lastly the option in the menu for overscan:
http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00581fz5.jpg

So with the latest firmware installed 1:1 works great and you get the full image on screen :D

If Benq UK have not installed the correct firmware for you, I suggest you contact them again. Show them my pictures if you want.

Cheers :D

They really need to make this user upgradable.

There is no way in hell I am bringing my monitor back to the uneducated dimwits (Getronics) they call a service center in my area. I wouldn't trust them to fix or handle a electric tooth brush let alone a monitor.

Firmware looks good, only took them about a year and a half to get it right. Truth be told the over scan thing is not a big deal, it's way under 5 percent, and all Media, Broadcast and Blu ray/DVD's compensate for this because each TV has different over scan. The 1:1 thing is annoying though, that's for sure. I mainly use aspect mode for everything.

*note to self* BenQ has bad engineers, don't buy from them again.

Thanks For the pics Mickey!

The first monitor they gave me via a direct replacement service, had no overscan on/off options, and the DVI connection would not work, so not a great start there :p

After another email exchange, they agreed to swap over my monitor again. I asked them that I wanted the overscan on/off option to be installed 100%, and they agreed and apologized for the inconvenience.

Have a look at this, HDMI to HDMI connection used, set to 1:1 in menu, overscan off:

So with the latest firmware installed 1:1 works great and you get the full image on screen :D

If Benq UK have not installed the correct firmware for you, I suggest you contact them again. Show them my pictures if you want.

Are you in the UK?

Any chance you could test other things such as 480p content and the aspect functioning working correctly, whether its 4:3 or 16:9 content it doesnt seem to display correctly.

Awesome pics Mickey! Is it possible you can take a picture with the hole monitor visiable and the menu set so that you can see the overscan option? I need to show this to my benq support.

OK here is a full screen shot of the monitor with the overscan option :)

I have a game cube somewhere with a component output, that should give me 480p I think. Give me a moment to dig it up from wherever it is hiding in my room :p

The game cube gave me 480i with Zelda, is that OK? Will another game give me 480p?

Anyway here is 1:1

Aspect:

and full:

EDIT: Have discovered that overscan was switched on in all these photos, page 193 has an overscan off picture :)

Mickey, do you live in the UK, also if you look at the picture over hdmi with the overscan turned off does it look like a proper 1:1 pixel map or does it look like the picture has been disturbed in any way. (I think there might be test images for testing this but I wouldn't know where to get them).

Thanks for the pics and if all is good i'll send mine off to get updated :D

Picture over HDMI with overscan off looks great with 1:1, no distortion at all.

My pictures confirm this, no? With the arrows being right at the edge of the screen with black bars at the top and bottom only :)

Looks like 480i and 480p are still not scaled correctly. They have never gotten that right. BenQ also makes Dell monitors, and Dell monitors have the same problem.

BrokenAnimator said:
*note to self* BenQ has bad engineers, don't buy from them again.
As if other manufacturers are any better. At least BenQ is fixing some of the problems. Other manufacturers don't seem to care.

kewl

they actually fixed something :)

is there a way to see which firmware your benq has?

and can the people with the latest firmware perhaps create a list of the remaining defects? (is the blackout still an issue for example?)

What seems to be the problem with 4080i/p?

First I wanna say that you are very helpful. Everyone here really appreciate you donating your time for us. :)

It looks shifty for some reason. Check this link out. http://hdgames.net/

Maybe you have a game that is 16:9? Try how it displays 480i/p in 16:9 format. Then we will know for sure if it works or not.

Btw, do you have a GC that has the digital output? If not you wont get 480p from it but 480i. I think this feature was removed from EU GCs. Can someone confirm?

Oh, another question. Does the image from the GC change if you select overscan on or off?

RockoW said:
FMaybe you have a game that is 16:9? Try how it displays 480i/p in 16:9 format. Then we will know for sure if it works or not.
I can tell from the pictures that it doesn't work. It has never worked. It's the monitor, not the game.

Well, that's certainly excellent news to start my day off with. Thanks for the testing. Now, unfortunately, I'm still pretty much stuck until any local user confirms that BenQ US has gotten the new firmware in California and has successfully updated a monitor. I just hope I'm not in for an unreasonably long wait. There's no reason it should take us long to get it, but weekly phone calls of "Do you have it yet?" (after having to re-explain what "it" even is) are getting tiring. If anyone stateside does get such good news, please note for us the name of the technician you speak with so that we have a point of reference when phoning them. Also note if they have a name or version designation for the update. Thanks.

Back