Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Alright, so a while ago I posted about my screen flickering for a second or two and then reappearing. I was told it was the cable (which I doubted in the first place) so when I received my new cable (Audio Research Dual Link DVI-D - $60 cable for $10 :) ) I was duly surprised to find that the screen still flickers and this time more often than before.

I highly doubt it is a physical glitch as the screen almost looks like its fading in and out when it goes black (albeit quite quickly). I am on a PowerBook G4 so perhaps it has to do with macs?

FlacX: Did you ever find information regarding this in previous posts? I couldnt find anything off of my first quick run through. Are you still having the problem or is anybody else? And again, the monitor is not hot and all connecitons are secured properly.

I have(hopefully had) the same black-out problem. After talking to some guys here(check the earlier post), some people suggested some ideas, first updating the drivers. I have an ATI 9600PRO and was running Omega Drivers, i updated to the real(and newest) ATI drivers, and so far(1 day and a half) the problem never came back. In the catalyst menu you can also play with two settings to try getting things better. Someone else suggested, maybe the monitor was overheating a bit and creating a ventilation behind it would be good... anyhow, right now the updated drivers seams to work... i'll see if it comes back

Nice to hear the updated drivers worked for you!

The overheating issue seems like the obvious diagnosis, however, my monitor is right next to a window in a completely open space so it almost never gets hot. As I mentioned before, the flickering usually looks like my computer is going into screensaver mode but moves a lot faster. In fact, just right this second it happened twice in a row black 2 seconds, 1 second regular, black 2 seconds, regular again.

Its really weird because it completely stopped doing this until yesterday. Ill keep you posted as I fool around with some things. I am just happy its not a serious issue (at least not now!)

Oh, and it never happens in any other mode except DVI-D. Im sure this is where the issue lies.

Nice to hear the updated drivers worked for you!

The overheating issue seems like the obvious diagnosis, however, my monitor is right next to a window in a completely open space so it almost never gets hot. As I mentioned before, the flickering usually looks like my computer is going into screensaver mode but moves a lot faster. In fact, just right this second it happened twice in a row black 2 seconds, 1 second regular, black 2 seconds, regular again.

Its really weird because it completely stopped doing this until yesterday. Ill keep you posted as I fool around with some things. I am just happy its not a serious issue (at least not now!)

Oh, and it never happens in any other mode except DVI-D. Im sure this is where the issue lies.

It works for now :rolleyes:... My room isn't hot either, and the back of the screen is almost a foot away from the wall, there's a bit of heat coming from the top of the display, but not much(a bit alike a CRT ...). To me the black-out looks exactly if someone pressed on/off(except i don't get the BenQ "welcome screen") really fast it's not fading it's sudden. Anyway will keep updating about this issue....

FlacX: Did you ever find information regarding this in previous posts? I couldnt find anything off of my first quick run through. Are you still having the problem or is anybody else? And again, the monitor is not hot and all connecitons are secured properly.

I havent had a chance to switch my cable yet, but am still getting the flicker issue.............gotta get some time to research more

Well, I decided to rma the monitor back to NCIX since I have the zero dead pixel warranty and it had two dead pixels on top of the weird screen effect. Bought some LCD wipes and that did not help. They charged my credit card for cross-shipping and I just have to get Purolator to come fetch the old monitor when I get the new one. Once they receive this one, they'll refund my credit card.

I am feeling anxious about this since this is only my second rma ever (bad mobo in 1999 took a month to be disapproved by Aopen so I was a month without computer). Hopefully the new monitor won't have any problem. :(

Well, I decided to rma the monitor back to NCIX since I have the zero dead pixel warranty and it had two dead pixels on top of the weird screen effect. Bought some LCD wipes and that did not help. They charged my credit card for cross-shipping and I just have to get Purolator to come fetch the old monitor when I get the new one. Once they receive this one, they'll refund my credit card.

I am feeling anxious about this since this is only my second rma ever (bad mobo in 1999 took a month to be disapproved by Aopen so I was a month without computer). Hopefully the new monitor won't have any problem. :(

Keep us up to date, I am sure a lot of people would be interested to read it.

I am still curious to know what happened with Elemental309 (sorry if I got your nic wrong), to see how his RMA went with the foggy screen. He kinda just vanished though.

Well it has been 3 weeks now since I sent my monitor back for fixing since I got the firmware patch. I could not get the monitor to work with DVI inputs.

They called my today to say the monitor is on its way but they couldn't find any issues with it. They said the DVI works perfectly.

SO... I am a bit skeptical and if I get it back and it doesn't work, there will be hell to pay.

Anyone else had this experience yet with the BENQ? I know someone before mentioned they had same problem, they sent it back and then it worked for them but not for him. Even other computers had same problem.

RMA monitor has shipped.Got the tracking number. :)

Received at Shipping from DAVID of NET LINK COMPUTER LINK 4620 VIKING WAY, suite 105 RICHMOND BC

Date/Time FEBRUARY 28, 2007 AT 17:21

Depot VANCOUVER, BC

But my computer glider chair broke a couple of hours ago.:(

Anyone have the problem i mentioned before with the xbox 360 connected via VGA, set to resolution 1920x1080, and it stretches the image too far horizontally (not vertically)?

Well, I decided to rma the monitor back to NCIX since I have the zero dead pixel warranty and it had two dead pixels on top of the weird screen effect.

Let us know how it works out, do BenQ's suffer with a lot of dead pixels usually?I normally get Viewsonic monitors and have had no dead pixels at all.

Good News !!!

For people who experienced signal loss when turning off and on the monitor while running windows. There is a fix in the new Ati 7.2 catalist
driver. Just installed and I can turn it off and on without having to re-boot.
It works in XP and Ati cards. No Idea if it works in Vista.

Thank GOD

Good News !!!

For people who experienced signal loss when turning off and on the monitor while running windows. There is a fix in the new Ati 7.2 catalist

Thank GOD

worked for you to :p, good mine hasn't had the problem in 2 day and 1h30hours(yes i'm actually counting each minute of PURE enjoyment :cool:)

Whoa, the price on Newegg for the W version (non WZ) suddenly jumped to $899.99. It was around $720-$730 before. WTH?

Anyone have the problem i mentioned before with the xbox 360 connected via VGA, set to resolution 1920x1080, and it stretches the image too far horizontally (not vertically)?

I have this problem too. I fix it by switching to d-sub and let it autoadjust, repeat if first time doesn't work. Then it goes into some nonpreset mode and gets into full screen... it's kind of weird. I find component looks better anyways, colours seem a lot better.

Edit: By the way, what brand VGA cables are you using? I don't see other people with this problem, so I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Good News !!!

Thank GOD

Darn I have an Nvidia card and I get no signal. :(

Im using the VGA adaptor for the x360, i dont know if there are others :p

Theres the official microsoft one and cheap imitations available on ebay etc.. for a much cheaper price.

The best way to get it to adjust correctly is to keep switching between inputs and eventually it will do it, but as I said previous it will be displayed as 1680x1050 in the information. Its a problem on microsofts end and hopefully will get fixed soon as PS3 is due to be launched in europe and id take a guess that MS will put out some big updates etc..

Darn I have an Nvidia card and I get no signal. :(

Look at this post(page 150)

Also have a look in the CCC there used to be some DVI monitor timings in the CCC which mentioned problems with digital displays, I can't actually check as my VX910 decided DVI is not playing anymore a few weeks ago :(

From Rage3d forums:

Monitor Problems.

If you were to search the Catalyst forum for "monitor," you'd likely find thousands of topics, because that's just how many problems people have with their monitors and ATI drivers. This section is for those of you whose monitor is goes blank at random times, or if it just flat out dies after awhile and you get a "no signal" message.

Go to your control panel. Under Options, toggle "Alternate DVI operational mode" and "Reduce DVI frequency." I say 'toggle' and not a definitive 'on' or 'off' because these options need to be experimented with. They might help, might not; might even make your situation worse. Play around with them anyway; they're likely to produce some sort of reaction.

Try plugging your monitor directly into an outlet, as opposed into a surge protector or power tap. I've found that my monitor, when plugged into a power tap, would sometimes go blank at completely random times; when I plugged it directly into an outlet in the wall, the monitor stopped doing that. So this may help.

Mike

I know this driver things is for ATI, but maybe there's something like it in NVIDIA..

For plugging the monitor in a wall outlet, mine is plug in a surge protector/power bar and i had the problem, but with the driver fix i dont have this problem and the monitor is still plug in the surge protector...

Hope you can fix your problem... This monitor is so great(especially without the black-our problem :p)

Here's some pictures! (sorry for the flash...)

First one, my desktop(i know the background is a bit cheesy for a 22 years old guy, but the colors on it are amazing hehe):

PS3's main menu 1080P (FP241W set to Aspect Ratio):

Resistance - Fall Of Man - Startup screen, 720P (FP241W set to Aspect Ratio):

Resistance - Fall Of Man - Startup screen, 720P (FP241W set to 1:1):

Resistance - Fall Of Man - Playing, 720P (FP241W set to Aspect Ratio):

Resistance - Fall Of Man - Playing, 720P (FP241W set to Aspect Ratio) The pale colors are an effect of the camera with the surrounding light NOT the screen itself:

I recently rented "Kingdom Of Heaven" Blu-Ray movie, in 1080P completely forgot to take pictures.. dammit :(.... a native 1080P movie is just incredibly beautiful !!!(nothing compared to those test sample on windows website... i guess they are made with better quality camera/editing...)

Guys can you answer this? What the heck is the different between the 2 model? FP241W and FP241W Z? Which one should I get that have 1:1? Where is the best place to purchase this that have an easy return policy?

Thanks!

Guys can you answer this? What the heck is the different between the 2 model? FP241W and FP241W Z? Which one should I get that have 1:1? Where is the best place to purchase this that have an easy return policy?

Thanks!

WZ has the Perfect Motion/BFI/AMA-Z(benQ likes to change names often) which insert a black frame in between each frame so the blacks are better and it feels more like a CRT(good for games and movie). The WZ all have the firmware fix.

If you want the W with the firmware, get it from NCIX, but soon it will be available everywhere since the old stock are getting rarer

Can someone give me a guesstimate of the ratio of people with black-out problems? Is it everybody or only one in 10? or what?

Also, was anyone actually able to fix it? I'm planning on buying soon...

Can someone give me a guesstimate of the ratio of people with black-out problems? Is it everybody or only one in 10? or what?

Also, was anyone actually able to fix it? I'm planning on buying soon...

I am not sure its a monitor fault or a driver issue, MrPatate seems to suggest the new ATI drivers fixed his issue. I hope this is true as I also have an ATI card.

Mike

I am not sure its a monitor fault or a driver issue, MrPatate seems to suggest the new ATI drivers fixed his issue. I hope this is true as I also have an ATI card.

Mike

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:( *cries like a little girl*... ITs BACK :mad: the only difference between now and the last 2 days.... i rebooted...oh and windows update... DAMN!

Try a system restore to yesterday and let us know what happens!

I've never done it.. and i've never made a system "back up" or what ever you call it...
But in the update, nothing was related to the display... so i doubt it's it fault.. to me.. it's the reboot...before rebooting something weird was happening, my usb receiver for my remote didn't work anymore and my drives had a tough time reading a dvd...after the reboot everything was back to normal everything #1.... and the black out problem started again....

:(:confused::(

I've never done it.. and i've never made a system "back up" or what ever you call it...
But in the update, nothing was related to the display... so i doubt it's it fault.. to me.. it's the reboot...before rebooting something weird was happening, my usb receiver for my remote didn't work anymore and my drives had a tough time reading a dvd...after the reboot everything was back to normal everything #1.... and the black out problem started again....

:(:confused::(
Would you happen to have a different computer with a different type of graphic card that you could plug it into for a while to see whether it still does it? Has anyone ever had it happen with their gaming system on?

Would you happen to have a different computer with a different type of graphic card that you could plug it into for a while to see whether it still does it? Has anyone ever had it happen with their gaming system on?

nope but i could buy a hdmi-dvi cable and plug my ps3 on it... but currently really lazy.. so it will wait a bit... :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:( *cries like a little girl*... ITs BACK

Oh thats bad :( I really hope this does NOT affect the WZ. I want to be ordering in the next few weeks. Its odd that no one on the UK forums I go on is reporting this problem with the W at all.

Most odd....

Mike

Just to let you guys know, I have a X800pro (soft modded to XT) and I have this problem on DVI and VGA : it happens only about 5-10 seconds after the reboot, and I'm sure it's related to the CCC loading up.

When I bought the BenQ monitor it did the same thing, but it also did it a 2-3 times during gaming (when changing to fullscreen mode). Now it's back to "boot up" only.

I updated my drivers each month and I couldn't fix it. You guys might want to try a driver without CCC or disable CCC load at startup (in msconfig or regedit). I didn't try those fixes since it does not bother me at all.

Cheers

Just to let you guys know, I have a X800pro (soft modded to XT) and I have this problem on DVI and VGA : it happens only about 5-10 seconds after the reboot, and I'm sure it's related to the CCC loading up.

When I bought the BenQ monitor it did the same thing, but it also did it a 2-3 times during gaming (when changing to fullscreen mode). Now it's back to "boot up" only.

I updated my drivers each month and I couldn't fix it. You guys might want to try a driver without CCC or disable CCC load at startup (in msconfig or regedit). I didn't try those fixes since it does not bother me at all.

Cheers

I think that is normal . I was the case with Ati 9800xt and crt monitor.
During boot up screen would go blank for a few seconds. With BENQ
is the same thing.

I'm loosing track on what issue this is. Is this some ATI specific issue, or is this the generic "blinks off for a second" issue? I still have it happen to me once in a while.

I've had the monitor 3 weeks now and have never seen it blink.

vid card: Nv 6600GT

Purchased from NCIX, I'm very happy with it so far.

NCIX is now listing the FP241VW as in stock, I'm sure we'll learn more about it soon. For the time being they list the quantity in stock as ">10".

Back