Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

component is that dvi connection i have a raddy 1900xt 512mb sapphire and at moment i,m using a iyyama pro514 crt will gaming look better on the benq and webbrowsing ? little bit worried about quality of the screen when comes to gaming but i have read so many great things about this benq really am close to buying one.crt is sore on my eyes sometime can any one help me decide cheers all :confused:

let us know if you recieve a black/black model, tranq said that morecomputers were shipping those, which is to my knowledge the first to be publically sold with firmware update.

i recieved a black/silver model....manufactured dec06 and defo has the latest firmware.

i recieved a black/silver model....manufactured dec06 and defo has the latest firmware.

i figured as much, i don't think the black/black models are available, which is a real shame as i would consider this monitor if it came all black.

Don't quote me on this, but you may be the first on this thread to actually recieve a december model.

just an update for all European people.
the information I got was correct. I reveived my benQ yesterday from computeruniverse.net. As distributor & BenQ Germany said, it was including the firmware update :) , manufaction date: December 2006.
However if you think to order you should try to get confirmed getting the last revision (this at least I did).

also my bighness concerns are at ease now. I don't think the monitor is too bright at all, just right ...
I'm coming from an old TFT, so maybe I was used to, but find it really a plus the BenQ brighter then my old TFT.

no humming sounds or lag that I do notice.

also I'm really pleased with design and IQ of the monitor!!!

:D

This was left a few posts back - hopefully they will soon reach the states.

I have taken pictures of the 360 at the resolution page in the dashboard.
480P,720P,1080i, and 1080P - a pic of each resolution at each mapping setting (Eg 1:1, aspect,full) so that it is easier to see the difference.

Hi,

Thanks for all these pics. They do raise a concern though. The 1080p 1:1 pictures do not fit the screen width, surely they should? Makes me wonder if 1:1 is actually 1:1.

Another issue is widescreen SD games - the PS2, Xbox, GC and Wii output a normal 480p 4:3 image rendered squashed so once stretched to 16:9 it'll look ok. I figure Aspect mode will just show it as 4:3 so I'd have to stretch the image to 16:10 on this monitor?

Thanks.

To El Alces Diablo,
Yea, that is an issue i noticed about the 1:1. It looks like it is setting 1080p to about 1800 by 1080. But if i switch the display to aspect, it displays perfectly, at least it looks like it. There may be more processing going on it the monitor than we had hoped.

I will try some widescreen gc or ps2 games tonight maybe.
But i would think the anwer to your question is that it will map the signal 1:1. I couldnt determine from your post if you had downloaded the mainfile from my previous post. If not, there are pics of a n64 hooked up with 1:1, Aspect, and Full. Maybe that will clarify a little bit.

Had a look at the Goldeneye screens. I think these actually highlight another issue, the image should really be 4:3. NTSC is 720x480 and a normal TV would display that as 4:3 (pixels aren't square). So you're getting a bit of a stretched picture there even though it probably is mapping the pixels 1:1 correctly. Out of interest, what happens when you change Goldeneye's View/Ratio settings? I'd expect the picture on screen to stay in place but just squish/stretch and add/remove bars as Goldeneye changes it's rendering but not the actual resolution of it's output.
Really, we want Fit to Screen 4:3 and Fit to Screen 16:9 scaling options as well.
Personally, I'm not too bothered about the former, I'll put interlaced stuff through my TV card and 640x480p should be ok direct. Just the widescreen 480p stuff will end up scaled to 16:10.

Hey,

I received my monitor a couple of weeks ago but its beginning to worry me. Randomly (perhaps once or twice a week) it will go black for maybe 2 - 4 seconds and then come to its senses and show the screen again. This is happening during normal PC use with a secure connection on both ends via DVI-D. Has anyone experienced this? The monitor isnt hot - what the hell is it?

I had a Gateway FPD2485 that I just returned because of backlight problems. But I really liked the vividness and the extremely bright colours on the Gateway. How does the BenQ compare? Both the Gateway and Dell have the Faroudja chipset but I don't see that mentioned for BenQ. Does it have it too?

Hey,

I received my monitor a couple of weeks ago but its beginning to worry me. Randomly (perhaps once or twice a week) it will go black for maybe 2 - 4 seconds and then come to its senses and show the screen again. This is happening during normal PC use with a secure connection on both ends via DVI-D. Has anyone experienced this? The monitor isnt hot - what the hell is it?

I thought someone mentioned something like this - it had to do with the quality of the cable. You might want to try searching the thread a bit more.

I had a Gateway FPD2485 that I just returned because of backlight problems. But I really liked the vividness and the extremely bright colours on the Gateway. How does the BenQ compare? Both the Gateway and Dell have the Faroudja chipset but I don't see that mentioned for BenQ. Does it have it too?

I 've had Gateway as well, in fact I still have :) Too cold to go out and return it. I have to admit that out of the box Gateway looks better, but with the adjustments BENQ looks as good.
I was literally getting headache from Gateway for couple of reasons - too much heat, buzzing and smearing in fast action games and movies.

To El Aces Diablo,
That is pretty much what happens. It stretches to fit whatever mapping option you choose in the menu. I do not think it looks too bad, it really depends what one can tolerate. I also think that the options for the mapping are slightly mislabled. For example, on the 360, if i set it to output 1080p and do 1:1 on the monitor it inserts black bars on the left and right as well as the top and bottom. This should not be occuring. If it is set to aspect however, it looks how it is supposed to. Black bars on top and bottom. I will keep fiddleing.

I have been trying to find a store that carries any model display that has the Samsung 24" PVA panel that is in the BenQ FP241W. I finally found the Gateway 24" on display at Best Buy today. The unit they had on display had this weird "sparkly" quality to it. It's like there were sparkly, translucent grains of sand on the front coating of the panel. I have never seen this effect on any other PVA monitor, but I have noticed the same thing on Gateway's TN-based 22-inch display, so I am wondering if it is a property of the screen coating that Gateway chooses to use use rather than the panel itself. It's a definite turn-off for me. Can anyone out there who has seen both the Gateway and the BenQ compare the two displays in this regard?

Thanks!

Mofongo

Hey,

I too have had this issue a few times. If you find any posts before I do, let me know as I am about to search for the answer.

Ordered: 01/30/2007; Received: 02/01/2007
Manufacture Date: November 2006
1:1.... nope, but I don't care.

Overall: fantastic monitor, zero dead pixels.... I immediately lowered the brightness to 35 and the contrast went down a bit, too (I think I'm at 40 ATM). I'll have to calibrate it at some time, but for now I'm just happy with what I've got! :)

To add to this message: The item I received from Newegg was Black/Black, there isn't a lick of silver to be found. Not sure if this'll change anyone's interest in it, but figured there was enough new discussion to provide a quick update.

Mofongo,

Yes the Gateway does use some sort "sparkly" anti-glare coating on their screens. It annoyed me at first but I've gotten used to it.

I have been trying to find a store that carries any model display that has the Samsung 24" PVA panel that is in the BenQ FP241W. I finally found the Gateway 24" on display at Best Buy today. The unit they had on display had this weird "sparkly" quality to it. It's like there were sparkly, translucent grains of sand on the front coating of the panel. I have never seen this effect on any other PVA monitor, but I have noticed the same thing on Gateway's TN-based 22-inch display, so I am wondering if it is a property of the screen coating that Gateway chooses to use use rather than the panel itself. It's a definite turn-off for me. Can anyone out there who has seen both the Gateway and the BenQ compare the two displays in this regard?

Thanks!

Mofongo

I've noticed the same thing. While it makes screen somewhat more vivid and brighter it was bothering me a lot.

I too have had this issue a few times. If you find any posts before I do, let me know as I am about to search for the answer.

It's the DVI cable that comes with the monitor, many, many people have had this problem and replacing the DVI cable fixes it.

To add to this message: The item I received from Newegg was Black/Black, there isn't a lick of silver to be found. Not sure if this'll change anyone's interest in it, but figured there was enough new discussion to provide a quick update.

just seems impossible too get a black/black model with fireware upgrade from anywhere. I might just wait for the Z model and see if thats any good :rolleyes:

Oh, yes. Thanks for pointing that out! If I go to AUO's website, they claim that their current 24" panel is A-MVA not P-MVA (as reported in this TFT central article). A-MVA offers some improvements to P-MVA, especially in regards to color. Any clue if it is really an A-MVA panel, or is in an older P-MVA one?

Mofongo

I think that the FP241WZ has the A-MVA panel but I'm not sure.

Edit: I can't read the language in this article http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2007-01-29/0930231747.shtml but at the bottom is a chart that says the FP241WZ has an A-MVA panel.

I would be interested in learning more about the differences in the two panels if any one has that information. I have the WZ ordered and I hope it's at least as good as the W model.

I think that the FP241WZ has the A-MVA panel but I'm not sure.

Edit: I can't read the language in this article http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2007-01-29/0930231747.shtml but at the bottom is a chart that says the FP241WZ has an A-MVA panel.

both the FP241W and FP241WZ use the same panel, that's certain. The M240UW01 V2 is the new AMVA 24" panel from AUO, and has a different spec to the V0 panel which was P-MVA. The BenQ spec matches the P-MVA panel, and I would think that it is using that as opposed to the very new AMVA panel. The AMVA spec is here for reference, but varies from that of the P-MVA V0 panel

I am checking with BenQ though to be sure :)

Thanks for your help, Badd. Let me know what they say. It sure looks like in this article http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2007-01-29/0930231747.shtml that they are saying that the two models have different panels.
Can anyone read this? FP241W采用了P-MVA面板,FP241WZ采用了A-MVA面板。此外,这两款产品都通过了TCO'06认证
I think it's Chinese.

Interesting article...Here it is sort of translated:

http://translate.google.com/transla...0930231747.shtml&langpair=zh|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Seems to me that it is going to have A-MVA, based on what they are saying...The specs at the bottom also indicate A-MVA...For those that don't want to read the whole thing, here is the important part:

The difference is used P-MVA FP241W face. FP241WZ used A-MVA face. In addition, these two products have passed TCO '06 certification.

And a quick google search of "fp241wz a-mva" produces a lot of other articles that support that it will indeed be A-MVA:

http://translate.google.com/transla...+a-mva&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

http://translate.google.com/transla...+a-mva&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us

http://translate.google.com/transla...0&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=N

http://translate.google.com/transla...0&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=N

This has an interesting comment in it that says "When from the menu button + power source button or special starting method it is update of firm with USB, but easy what" - Maybe they were wishing the firmware could be updated that easily, or maybe that's what you can actually do...

This is a good comparison of the FP241W and WZ, although this may have been a pre-production model..They seem to indicate that the W is generally brighter..

There are probably tons more, but that's a good start if you want to read more about the FP241WZ model (which I'm waiting for!) - buy.com actually lists it now, but not in stock...

Thanks everyone for finding (and translating) all the panel info. So since it looks like the FP241WZ has a different panel, it should offer the additional advantage of better colors. I was a bit uncertain about the whole PerfectMotion thing (especially paying extra for it) but now I definitely have to wait for the WZ. :) I hope my old and dying CRT screen can hold out a few more months!

Mofongo

Strange that there are reports that the Z version use a different panel when BenQ supposed confirmed last month that the panel would be the same as the fp241w. Thanks for checking on this, Badd, let us know if you hear anything. Perhaps BenQ changed their minds again, and that's the reason for all the delays? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I 've had Gateway as well, in fact I still have :) Too cold to go out and return it. I have to admit that out of the box Gateway looks better, but with the adjustments BENQ looks as good.
I was literally getting headache from Gateway for couple of reasons - too much heat, buzzing and smearing in fast action games and movies.
Thanks ID64. Have you compared movies on the two monitors through the component input? Gateway markets the Faroudja chipset advantage for upscaling and there's no mention of that from BenQ. I'm probably waiting for the second generation Gateway as both these monitors sound fairly equal otherwise. Costco.ca is carrying the BenQ for $940, which is $250 more than what I paid for the Gateway. Oh yeah and I agree with the cold, especially this morning. I'm in the GTA and it is -30 with the windchill.

just seems impossible too get a black/black model with fireware upgrade from anywhere. I might just wait for the Z model and see if thats any good :rolleyes:

I emailed BenQ Europe again today, asking if they would be selling the black/black version in the UK sometime soon, I got this reply:

-----
Dear Sir,

We are not planning to ship out black versions at the moment. Of course
this can be subject to change in the future.

BenQ Support
-----

This slightly annoys me as I'd like to have the black face to the monitor as I think it makes the images stand out better, but it seems as if this aint going to be possiable. I don't know if I wanna wait untill they ship them, as it seems as if they don't have a date for it. If anyone has anymore information about it, times when they might be releasing it (or if they are) any info would be apprichiated. I think that I might be ordering one tonight/tomorrow and just make do with the updated version, but with the silver front on it. Black sticky tape is always an option if it's bad! :D

Thanks ID64. Have you compared movies on the two monitors through the component input? Gateway markets the Faroudja chipset advantage for upscaling and there's no mention of that from BenQ. I'm probably waiting for the second generation Gateway as both these monitors sound fairly equal otherwise. Costco.ca is carrying the BenQ for $940, which is $250 more than what I paid for the Gateway. Oh yeah and I agree with the cold, especially this morning. I'm in the GTA and it is -30 with the windchill.

Well, except absence of 1:1 aspect ratio, movies via component input on BENQ look better than on Gateway. I think, that I read somewhere that Faroudja chipset is actually buggy and make picture even worse and not better. Another thing that is very annoying on Gateway is this graininess, that some other people have mentioned on this forum. It makes to squint your eyes all the time.

NCIX Update #2:

Monitor returned to Canada with no reason given by Canada Express; no delivery notification, etc... I wonder if it got stuck or returned after it hit customs...

Once the monitor arrives back at NCIX, they're going to ship it UPS Air to me, and refund my shipping costs... They've also said they're going to give me the 2/2/2007 price reduction...

After 2 week of not having a monitor, the price savings and customer service at NCIX make up for it.

We'll see...

well i sent in the monitor, but unfortunately the round trip cost of this sucks, it totaled more than 80$ as the UPS store said the only options are 3/2/1 day airs for shipment back/forth, unlike what benq said about it being $45 total cost since i'm so close to them.

:mad: <-------this smiley is horrible, looks like its emo pouting instead of a mad emotion

5 working days they said, so in a couple of weeks/11 days hopefully

good think i still have the trusty CRT :D

I've contacted BenQ Benelux and they stated that there would be only 15(!) FP241WZ units available for either The Netherlands or possibly all of the Benelux. The FP241VW should be available in April.

I've also spoken with a few retailers and their distributor had well over 15 backorders already. So I've stopped seeking the Z model as it will probably not be available at all for a while; that, and I've wanted a new screen since November. Which brings me to my next point.

I've ordered the W model from computeruniverse.net and it comes with a silver frame. Is there anyone who knows if it's possible to unscrew it and paint it black? i'm thinking of getting a proper spraycan for it, but I've no clue since I've never done it before. Anyone? :)

Back