Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Nuvian said:
nope,i got quite high standards when it comes to that,and i havent seen ANY sign of ghosting in any games so far.
only prob for me with this monitor is that its to damn bright,even on low brightnes setting it takes alot of getting used to if your coming from a CRT.

Agreed. Any brightness above the lowest is blinding.

Related to that, I have one of these hooked up to my monitor: http://www.doubleed.com/ and took some readings to compare to my old 19" CRT. Power usage when the monitor is off went from 2.6W to about 0.7W. My CRT read about 80W during normal usage, and the BenQ reads 89W at the highest brightness level to 57W at the lowest. So turning down the brightness not only saves your retinas, but saves power as well.

Automated translation of the conclusion (with some edits)

"The FP241WZ is an excellent professional monitor. Ergonomics are perfect, serious manufacture. The BFI is an interesting innovation which showed its effectiveness in our tests. However, it is necessary to acknowledge that the variation of performance will interest only the purists and video pros. BFI, according to BenQ, has at least the advantage of respecting returned the cinema of films, which is not inevitably the case of the 100Hz modes which one can lay out on the television sets. The films are indeed more fluid, with less trails. In video games, the improvement is appreciable. Thanks to the disengageable BFI, the Benq monitor can be general-purpose, at the same time at ease in office automation and video projection. One will regret finally only the video noise, swarmings in the films which the manufacturers pain to remove on the data-processing monitors. After latency, the next challenge of the manufacturers will be indeed to provide more respectful flagstones of the contents vidéos.

Benq has once more to shown their talent in innovation thanks to this technological breakthrough. Admittedly, the process deserves to be improved in particular using more reactive backlighting, but the improvement in reactivity is indeed there and discounted effect CRT is well with go. "

Also more translation ::

In practice

For office automation, it is rather funny to find on a flat monitor the flickering of a tube CRT. It is a feeling which one had forgotten and one finally was accustomed to returned LCD more quickly than one could have believed it. This flickering is especially visible when the image is white (Windows explorer, Word page, etc). For office automation, it is thus advised to decontaminate the BFI. In fact for office automation, the BFI does not have any interest. For recall, one had passed on monitor LCD in the applications of office automations to decrease ocular tiredness, then they are a little vicious to let a flat-faced screen flicker to find the visual tiredness of a cathode ray tube when it is a question of typing its mail under Word. Moreover, the profit in contrast is not negligible whole. But the luminosity will have to be lowered all the same since the 360 cd/m2 are well too high for office automation. Once these two precautions taken, the monitor offers a clearness and a contrast of most pleasant. The photo final improvement is possible, even with the adjustments by defect. Contrast is good but the luminosity would require to be softened somewhat. The 1920x1200 pixels offer to your photographic stereotypes appreciable piqué and the photographers will appreciate moreover the adjustment of the temperature of the colors, rather effective on this model.

For the video game, the reactivity of the flagstone without BFI is too just of course. Once started, system BFI makes it possible to benefit from an appreciable profit of swiftness. It is a true treat. The loss of contrast will be then to compensate by an increase in the luminosity of the apparatus or by an adjustment of gamma more specific to the play in question. But the images is very fluid, it is ever seen on one 24 inches. For as much, the variation of reactivity compared to the fast flagstones is not obvious and for example, a traditional VX922 2 ms will offer the same visual comfort from the point of view of remanence. It is thus not either the total revolution, but at least on this type of diagonal, it is an ahead appreciable step.

Video game

We note the adequacy of the apparatus to the video game on 5 points. With this intention, we test the flagstones under various plays, FPS, RTS, RPG, etc the reactivity of the flagstone is clearly the first point which interests us but the quality of the colors also has its importance on certain titles.

With regard to the video, the activation of the BFI reveals beautiful surprises. First of all it proves that this mode of acceleration makes it possible to keep one returned cinema in films, contrary to what one had been able to note on the 100Hz television sets LCD. On the BenQ monitor, the images are indeed clearer, more fluid, textures remain perfectly defined but returned remains very natural. Attention however, it is not the revolution either here and if the performances are better, only most sensitive among us and the pros will be receptive with this type of improvement. The BFI brings even light better video a noise question. It seems y to have very small little less swarmings with BFI than without. But it is a really minor alas. Because as a whole, the flagstone remains very noisy and swarmings on the flat tints are notable. It is in party the price to be paid for an overdrive well too aggressive (class C all the same!).

Video

There too the note is on 5 points. If latency plays a part here, we also evaluate the quantity of noise injected into films by the apparatus. Good angles of vision are also crucial for a multi-media use of the apparatus.

Performance/price

Rather than to estimate the quality ratio/price, we prefer to concentrate on the performance ratio/price. Which difference will you say to me? The quality of a screen LCD is variable from one individual to another. A person seeking a robust monitor to transport it everywhere even if the performances are poor will have very an other approach of quality that somebody who seeks a swift monitor but which does little case of the completion of its apparatus. On the other hand, the performances are measurable. This note thus represents in synthetic form the performance of the screen vis-a-vis the benchmark.

peTeMelster said:
What is Best Buy (in USA)'s return policy? I would like to buy both the Gateway 24" and the BenQ 24" (with the 1:1 fix hopefully), and try both of them out for a few days before I decide. But that means I will have to open the boxes and use them both. Will Best Buy give a 100% refund even if boxes are opened and the products have been used? I won't be returning it because of any defects, but simply return them if I am not satisfied with their performance - will Best Buy allow that? Do they have restocking fee or other fees?

Btw, I'm not seeing the BenQ monitors on the Best Buy website? Where is it?

My Bestbuy receipt(Canadian) for full refund say that you have 14days.

peTeMelster said:
And is refund for unopened or opened/used?

Q: What is BestBuy.com Return Policy?
A: BestBuy.com Return Policy

You may return merchandise purchased at BestBuy.com if it meets the guidelines below.

* For purchases made in a Best Buy store, please see our store Return Policy.
* For purchases made from one of our partner sites, check your packing slip or the partner's Web site for return or exchange information. Items purchased from a partner site may not be returned or exchanged through the Best Buy return center or in a Best Buy store.

Guidelines
You may return merchandise to a Best Buy store within the U.S. or by mail to our return center. You will receive a credit for your purchase only if it meets the criteria below. We do not offer merchandise exchanges. Learn more about how to return an online purchase.

14-Day Return Period
Fourteen days from the date merchandise was received, refunds are available on computers, monitors, printers, notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors.

30-Day Return Period
Thirty days from the date merchandise was received, refunds are available on the remainder of our products (see exceptions below).

Exceptions

* Labor and/or installation services
* Items that are abused
* Opened computer software, movies, music and video games
(To get credit for these items, they must be unopened. If the original is damaged or defective, please see details below.)

Any merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned. If the item is damaged or defective, please see details below.)

Restocking Fee
A 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. A 25% restocking fee will be charged on special order products, including appliances. These fees apply unless the item is defective or damaged, you receive the wrong item, or the fee is prohibited by law.

Missing Item or Damaged Product Fee
A missing item or damaged product fee will be charged for any product missing the original box, packaging material, contents, accessories and/or manuals (i.e., any product not in "like new" condition).

Damaged or Defective Items
If you return a damaged or defective item by mail or to a Best Buy store, you will receive a credit. You may then choose to purchase a replacement item in the store or online. To make sure the store has your product in stock, call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).

Personal Data
Please remove all personal data (e.g., computer or wireless phone data, videotapes) from any returned products. Best Buy is not responsible for any personal data left on or in these items.

Promotional Items and Rebates
Any product that is returned without the promotional item(s) included with the original transaction (e.g., buy TV, get free DVD player; buy TV, get free Gift Card; or buy TV, get DVD player for half off) will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the refund amount. Any product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on the purchase is subject to having the amount of the rebate deducted from the refund amount.

Please call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) if your return is a:

* Major appliance, TV, accessory or furniture delivered via special delivery
* Computer that you plan to mail back to our return center for a refund
* Performance Service Plan

Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.

The reply from Komplett (UK) received today regarding the Z model:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are expecting the batch with the new firmware.

Best regards
Komplett

-------------------------
So... the mystery deepens... do I believe the BenQ sales department or the retailer..? :rolleyes:

Just shot another email to one of the biggest retailers here in Finland if the model they are shipping on 18th has the new firmware. Keeping fingers crossed here...

I also received an email from BenQ Europe Support:

Question / Suggestion:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, could you please tell me if the FP241W Z supports 1:1 pixelmapping
on non native resolution sources (1080p/720p etc.). I am considering
buying a FP241W Z as soon as it is available but I am worried about
having to ship it back shortly after purchase for a firmware upgrade.

Answer:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Sir,

The upgraded firmware will be available in December. I would suggest you
buy it early 2007 .

BenQ Support

Tricky, isn't it? :(

I've just emailed Komplett to say if they're right and the new firmware is indeed applied I won't cancel but if I find that it's not had the new firmware applied then I'm reserving my right to cancel/return the monitor straightaway.

Well, I think I am mostly going to forget this whole mess till 18th or so. Patience is a virtue especially when it comes to new gadgets, easy to get caught up in the "need-to-know-right-know" cycle. Hopefully everything pans out well and I can treat myself to a biiiiig brand new and shiny HD monitor as a christmas present ;)

Well my saga continues - Komplett replied and advised me that they've no way of ensuring the firmware is set and that if I'd used the monitor I'd be unable to return it and so (to their credit) they've recommended I cancel the order - which I've done.

I too will sit back and maybe look again in early 2007..

What! So komplett doesn't have returns warranty? No need to worry. Another store in UK has just stocked the normal version and I will ask them if they will stock the Z version. The price is best in UK but they are stocking it on the 1st of Jan. Heres the link http://www.shiroi.co.uk/benq-benq-f...ml?PHPSESSID=1461df6a700dac9c767b1228bb1f0bf8
lets hope they do the Z version soon. I am in no hurry but i want the firmware fix. and I dont care if it takes them until Jan 07 to fix this issue.

Its the black version as well. sooo fingers crossed.

When lowering brightness remember to not go below 30. After that the monitor reduces brightness digitally making detail in blacks disappear. Also don't raise contrast over 50. That will burn out highlights digitally.

rezza said:
What! So komplett doesn't have returns warranty? No need to worry. Another store in UK has just stocked the normal version and I will ask them if they will stock the Z version. The price is best in UK but they are stocking it on the 1st of Jan. Heres the link http://www.shiroi.co.uk/benq-benq-f...ml?PHPSESSID=1461df6a700dac9c767b1228bb1f0bf8
lets hope they do the Z version soon. I am in no hurry but i want the firmware fix. and I dont care if it takes them until Jan 07 to fix this issue.

Its the black version as well. sooo fingers crossed.

Cheers for the heads-up rezza, I can't believe I've not found shiroi before.

I've never dealt with Komplett before so I've no idea about their returns - I would think you're within your statuatory rights to return anything you don't like within a certain period but given the attendant hassles and all it's not worth me pursuing and so the order's off. They can't be too convinced of having the firmware to drop an £800 I wouldn't have thought.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any progress you and others make but I'm probably out of the game until the early new year now, good luck!

peTeMelster said:
Btw, I'm not seeing the BenQ monitors on the Best Buy website? Where is it?
I was curious about this too... I searched for the model number on bestbuy.com and it wasn't found. Then I tried bestbuy.ca and they list it for pre-order! (link)
I hope this means that they'll be getting it in the US as well. I'd really like to see this next to the Gateway, and, given the option, I'd prefer to buy this in a retail store with the BestBuy warranty so I can simply take it back if I have problems instead of having to deal with shipping to an RMA center.

bootstrap said:
I was curious about this too... I searched for the model number on bestbuy.com and it wasn't found. Then I tried bestbuy.ca and they list it for pre-order! (link)
I hope this means that they'll be getting it in the US as well. I'd really like to see this next to the Gateway, and, given the option, I'd prefer to buy this in a retail store with the BestBuy warranty so I can simply take it back if I have problems instead of having to deal with shipping to an RMA center.
Heh, I checked BestBuy.ca again this morning just to see if they'd have it in stock, since this is the day it's supposed to be available, and, surprise, it's out of stock. :rolleyes: Buy.com and some other sites besides newegg and ncix have been listing this monitor for months and I don't think they've ever had a single one in stock... it's as though BenQ is determined to prevent people in North America from buying this monitor! I suppose at this point they might as well just wait until the Z model is out with the new firmware, but I hope that more places start to get this monitor in stock, especially retail stores.

Edit: Whoops, looks like I spoke too soon. They now show that the monitor is in-stock and ready to ship! Anyone know if this means that Best Buy in the US should be getting these too at some point?

If this is correct then the plan to fool us failed. BenQ is now in the same league with Bush en Co in deceiving.

What's going to happen to those of you who purchased this monitor prior to the firmware update and want 1:1 pixel mapping?

pNin01 said:
What's going to happen to those of you who purchased this monitor prior to the firmware update and want 1:1 pixel mapping?
Most likely you'll have to send it to a repair center to have the firmware upgraded. No word yet on whether this will be at the buyer's cost. Keep in mind, though, that BenQ still hasn't released an official statement about this, or even what the updated firmware will actually fix (e.g. 1:1 for all inputs or just some? just for 16:9 content, or all resolutions? etc).

Personally, if 1:1 matters to you, I don't think it's worth buying right now. I'd rather wait until January to avoid the hassle of having to ship the monitor back, and to see exactly what will be included in the upgrade.

bootstrap said:
Most likely you'll have to send it to a repair center to have the firmware upgraded. No word yet on whether this will be at the buyer's cost. Keep in mind, though, that BenQ still hasn't released an official statement about this, or even what the updated firmware will actually fix (e.g. 1:1 for all inputs or just some? just for 16:9 content, or all resolutions? etc).

Personally, if 1:1 matters to you, I don't think it's worth buying right now. I'd rather wait until January to avoid the hassle of having to ship the monitor back, and to see exactly what will be included in the upgrade.
Well, I've already purchased the Gateway FPD2485W from Best Buy. Their holiday return policy allows me to keep it until 1.8.07. So I have plenty of time to wait and see what exactly BenQ fixes. They never respond to my emails.

They do recommend that you buy the Z version however. Even though its overrrated...

I'm shocked again with FP241WZ. Looks like BFI is useless. I just hope they will fix this 1:1 pixel mapping and I'll buy FP241W.
Does anyone know if it's true what behardware.com has written, that also FP241W is using PVA like FP241WZ ? :eek: I was sure it uses MVA :eek:

Regards

So the Z version doesn't do the BFI mentioned in the spec sheets? Dang...and here I was waiting all this time. Looks like I'll pick up a standard one after the firmware updates are processed.

"Finally, we come to the price and release date. The BenQ FP241WZ is scheduled to be released in January 2007 at 1,009 € (VAT included). The version without BFI will be at 1,049 €. If you buy one of them, choose the Z version."

Something about that statement doesn't seem right...why would the non-BFI be more expensive?

It sounds like the BFI version is not all it was cracked up to be. From the review it seems to only improve afterglow?
From everything i have read over the last couple of months while waiting to get hold of the W version, 99% of whats said seems to be great.
If there is no problem with ghosting and lag etc on the W version why pay the extra £100 or more for the WZ.
Is there really NO noticable ghosting in FPS games and movies?

Got some news from my repair center here in Montreal and they don't want to replace my defective base. I spoke a few times with BenQ and they don't want to exchange my base either :(

All of those who bought a FP241W, any problem with the base/arm ?

Mine is defective : I don't know where the problem is, but the left part of the screen is lower than the right part, the difference between the left and right side is a little more than half an inch. As soon as you look at text on the screen, it's really ugly :(

Now my vendor (www.megapc.com) is fighting with BenQ and the repair center so I can get a new base ... :mad: :mad:

DeftonesXP said:
Mine is defective : I don't know where the problem is, but the left part of the screen is lower than the right part, the difference between the left and right side is a little more than half an inch. As soon as you look at text on the screen, it's really ugly
Let try something.
-Remove the monitor from the arm.
-Unthighs the 4 screw of the mounting bracket back of your monitor.
-Try to twist the mounting bracket (Vesa Mount) CW or CCW, maybe there is enough play to cure your problem.

Good luck. :cool:

So non-Z uses P-MVA panel.
Z version uses regular PVA panel (not even S-PVA).
And something like Dell/Samsung use a S-PVA.

Is that correct?

And they also mention that the colors are way off for the Z version, while the non-Z version seemed much closer to the perfect color. Furthermore, they say when they used a DVI to HDMI adaptor and plugged a computer with DVI port into the HDMI port of the monitor, something horrible happened: it went to 1920x1080 and interpolated the image and lost detail instead of staying at 1920x1200.

Looks like the non-Z is better IMO. Far too many downsides with the Z version (worse colors, worse panel, twinkling effect, screening effect, lowers brightness, brightness no longer homogenous, HDMI doesn't work - but is that the case with the non-Z version too?, more expensive). I don't understand why they recommended the Z version over the non-Z.

peTeMelster Looks like the non-Z is better IMO. Far too many downsides with the Z version (worse colors said:
I think the above only happens when the "BFI" is switched on.. color degradation/twinkling etc.

guys check this out http://benq.co.ae/products/LCD/?product=997

ce1NAUkgQ2Ubw.jpg
am in love oh yeah

ceHlJfs5tBQ2.jpg

cef91Dk3HT0Uo.jpg

000363887.jpg

guys focus on da lcd :D

cn1163054273536.jpg

black_horse said:
Interesting development. Maybe I'm alone here, but I personally find that thing to be incredibly fugly. :p On a more practical note, I also wouldn't be willing to give up portrait mode, so that would be out for me even if I liked the stand.

Is that a headphone jack by the USB ports in that last pic? I didn't see any mention of any kind of audio in on the spec sheet (besides the HDMI, of course, but it would be kind of weird if that were the only way to get audio in).

rezza said:
peTeMelster Looks like the non-Z is better IMO. Far too many downsides with the Z version (worse colors said:
I think the above only happens when the "BFI" is switched on.. color degradation/twinkling etc.

Some of them yes, but not panel and the colors. So it still seems the Z version is worse IMO.

bootstrap said:
Interesting development. Maybe I'm alone here, but I personally find that thing to be incredibly fugly. :p On a more practical note, I also wouldn't be willing to give up portrait mode, so that would be out for me even if I liked the stand.

Is that a headphone jack by the USB ports in that last pic? I didn't see any mention of any kind of audio in on the spec sheet (besides the HDMI, of course, but it would be kind of weird if that were the only way to get audio in).
Well, got to make some use out of that HDMI's ability to carry audio, right? I also think this things look ugly, too bulky.

Back