Official ASUS SSD – P8P67 Series Validation and Support – Including SATA6G SSD

CPU – 2600K
MoBo - Asus P8P67 Pro (Bios 1204)
SSD - C300 with latest firmware 0006 ( on SATA6G Port Intel PCH Port 0 )
OS – Windows 7 64Bit

Ok I have been going round in circles for a week now and its starting to drive me nuts :p

I built a band new machine last week which seems to be running smothly apart from my ssd sata setup.

I installed Windows 7 64 from scratch on a new C300, now to the confusion. There was a one sheet in the manual that was separate from the rest
Asus P8P67 Series Sata mode notice, that says the sata ports are set to AHCI mode by default and after installing Windows 7 for better compatibility to install the Intel PCH driver.

I installed the drivers from the Asus Cd (downloading ones from the web site if they where newer) but didnt find the PCH driver, I did however install Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.0.0.1046 after rebooting the C300 was no longer listed in Windows Device manager it Listed it as DiskDrive after serching for newer version I installed V10.1.0.1008 with the same result.

My windows Experience Disk score went down to 7.5 after the RST drivers too, after uninstalling them all together and rebooting windows device manager lists it as a C300-CTFDDAC128MAG ATA Device and widows scores it at 7.9

Am I doing something odd, did i need<F6> to install a driver before I installed windows and which drivers should i be using :confused:

Naberius

Check out Juan's post - first on this thread for the chip set and intel managment drivers. See if you have these loaded. Unless you are planning to run Raid I don't think you need RST installed.

Interesting that you experience score went up - you might try an SSD testing utility like ASSD or Crystal Mark and see how the scores compare with and without RST.

Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 6 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...P67BG&lang=eng

Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...P67BG&lang=eng
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey SJC thhank for the reply

I checked all my drivers and they are up to date,

52944548.jpg

2. As implied above, setting to RAID does not require your drives actually be part of a RAID. In fact Intel does recommend, in their docs, setting to RAID by default so that if you decide to try a RAID out you don't have to reinstall.

For drives not part of a RAID, do they get the same operating benefits of AHCI mode?

I have 2 Samsung 64GB SSD's, had them as single drives in AHCI mode and now as RAID-0 array, no problems with sleep in either mode here and the read/write performance is within specifications. The problem i have with the Intel RST is that Windows 7 becomes extremely unresponsive, kind of locking up when the drives have big traffic. For example if i install a game or something else i can't even open the windows explorer or the task manager without a minute delay. This happens only in RAID mode, not with the SSD's as single drives and as mentioned in the other thread i had the same 2 SSD's in my old PC as RAID-0 array with Nvidia 980a onboard RAID and never had problems like this.

So a quick scan of the thread has not told me whether the following has been resolved:

I have a C300 128 GB as my primary SSD, with a standard HDD for bulk storage. The SSD is in sata3_0 and has never had any trouble with installations and always given good results in benchmarks (which is what the first post of this thread is interested in).

However, at least once per day I get 10-40 second freezes, where I retain mouse control but cannot do anything in any applications. Windows event viewer shows warnings with iaStor.sys whenever these occur. Has asus been able to reproduce these (I know there are a lot of posts on Crucial's own forums about them) or resolve the issue?

The error is recoverable and does not cause windows to actually crash/result in a BSOD, therefore I suspect it might have fallen through the cracks?

Is anyone having this issue with other makes of SSD? Is anyone NOT having this issue with Crucial C300 SSDs?

I run 2x Crucial C300 256GB SSDs on Intel SATA III RAID 0 on my ASUS P8P67 EVO and they run flawlessly and the performance is outta this world. I also run a WD 1TB SATA III spinner on the same Intel controller and they coexist perfectly and perform flawlessly.

So a quick scan of the thread has not told me whether the following has been resolved:

I have a C300 128 GB as my primary SSD, with a standard HDD for bulk storage. The SSD is in sata3_0 and has never had any trouble with installations and always given good results in benchmarks (which is what the first post of this thread is interested in).

However, at least once per day I get 10-40 second freezes, where I retain mouse control but cannot do anything in any applications. Windows event viewer shows warnings with iaStor.sys whenever these occur. Has asus been able to reproduce these (I know there are a lot of posts on Crucial's own forums about them) or resolve the issue?

The error is recoverable and does not cause windows to actually crash/result in a BSOD, therefore I suspect it might have fallen through the cracks?

Is anyone having this issue with other makes of SSD? Is anyone NOT having this issue with Crucial C300 SSDs?

These might apply.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...sk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7/td-p/18840/page/18

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418/en-us/

This sounds like the same thing I'm observing. Mouse cursor moves but the windows don't respond. If I right click, the mouse cursor freezes. Something similar and possibly related is after initial boot, sometimes the GUI seems to freeze. I type CTRL-ALT-DEL and after a while I get a window asking what I want to do, then I click cancel and everything is fine. It seems the running tasks are fine during this freeze. I'll look into those Crucial posts. I too have a 128GB C300 on my SATA3 port.

I have been having the same 30 - 60 sec lock ups and have just processed a RMA for the drive as i belive its a Crucial problem rather than an Asus one.

There is a few threads on the Crucial forums going back to August with peeps having the same issue on different platforms with little to no support from the Crucial tech guys.

So regretably I am returning my C300 but on the up side there seemes to be a load of new drives comming out that are even faster so will get one of those instead.

i learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for all the info! I'll be going with asus on my sb build as soon as the new mobos ship.

Anybody knows if ASUS/Intel has plans to add TRIM support for SSD's in an active RAID array in the near future through either firmware or driver updates or would it require to rebuild the controllers from scratch in order to support it ? I just wonder why its still not working, there are so many enthusiasts out there waiting for it.

it would have to be instituted by the Sandforce/Barefoot chip, not intel or ASUS as trim is part of the controller function set.

Forgive me if this is a massively noobie question but...

Having recently flashed to 1305, I have everything running stable at defaults... All the issues I had with 1204 appear to have been resolved. Before I started tweaking, I made sure that all of the tips on these threads were followed.

The problems is that, after installing intels MEI, i'm getting 'code 10' in device manager. When installing this I initially got the message 'system does not meet minimum system requirements'. Second attempt installed fine, but now after a reboot I get code 10.

Is there any thing I need to install as a pre-requisite for this?

Would appreciate any suggestions

Fink

My c300 does the freeze as well and I have the latest drivers installed crucial of course has done nothing to fix the problem

What stripe size is actually recommended for a 2 ssd raid 0 with the intel controller ? Intel's chart says 16 KB for ssd's which is bs in my opinion, i'm debating whether 64 or 128 KB will be the best for a system volume.

What stripe size is actually recommended for a 2 ssd raid 0 with the intel controller ? Intel's chart says 16 KB for ssd's which is bs in my opinion, i'm debating whether 64 or 128 KB will be the best for a system volume.
128 KB is recommended.

My c300 does the freeze as well and I have the latest drivers installed crucial of course has done nothing to fix the problem

Juan, here's something weird. I have 2 Crucials in RAID 0 using the Intel 6 GB (1 and 2), one DVD drive in SATA 3, a 300 gb WD (storage) in SATA 4 and I just installed a RAID 1 array with 2 Samsung F3 1 TB drives using SATA's 5 and 6. As I was making my last post my system hung, came back and then froze. Is there some kind of conflict occupying all 6 Intel SATA ports?

I have been having the same 30 - 60 sec lock ups and have just processed a RMA for the drive as i belive its a Crucial problem rather than an Asus one.

There is a few threads on the Crucial forums going back to August with peeps having the same issue on different platforms with little to no support from the Crucial tech guys.

So regretably I am returning my C300 but on the up side there seemes to be a load of new drives comming out that are even faster so will get one of those instead.

Before you guys RMA your drives, have you disabled C3/C6 reporting in the BIOS? There's another thread about this.

I know you guys are talking about Crucial drives but I have the Corsair P3 128g and just recently started to have lockups. Everything was working great until the other day. A couple of times after the lockup the drive has done a scan disk and found 100's of errors. I now also get countless BSODs and they are not all the same. My system is so unstable now that I am surprised I had enough time to post this. I called Corsiar and they are advance shipping a new drive. They don't think that my situation is the OS or MB because other P3 drives have done the same thing.

I recently got my new B3 stepping mobo. Since I own a Perc5/i, and all drives are attached there, I set ICHR to ACHI mode and attached there my DVD-RW and an eSata port that is on the case. I also enabled JMicron in BIOS in order for eSata port on the back to function.

However, I am not able to connect an eSata drive on any of them. On the ICHR port, I connect the drive and nothing happens. No device installation, no drive in device manager, no drive in disk management.

Now, the JM is not even installed. Although it is enabled in BIOS (v.1502) Windows.7.x64.Ult does not recognize it in device manager, and if I try to install the drivers, I am getting an error message, that this device is not attached to my system....

Any ideas?

I recently got my new B3 stepping mobo. Since I own a Perc5/i, and all drives are attached there, I set ICHR to ACHI mode and attached there my DVD-RW and an eSata port that is on the case. I also enabled JMicron in BIOS in order for eSata port on the back to function.

However, I am not able to connect an eSata drive on any of them. On the ICHR port, I connect the drive and nothing happens. No device installation, no drive in device manager, no drive in disk management.

Now, the JM is not even installed. Although it is enabled in BIOS (v.1502) Windows.7.x64.Ult does not recognize it in device manager, and if I try to install the drivers, I am getting an error message, that this device is not attached to my system....

Any ideas?

The device should show up in device manager with a messages in Properties stating that it needs drivers. Try scanning for hardware changes and if that does not work, a fresh install may be required as a final debug. Failing this we'll have to RMA.

-Raja

The device should show up in device manager with a messages in Properties stating that it needs drivers. Try scanning for hardware changes and if that does not work, a fresh install may be required as a final debug. Failing this we'll have to RMA.
Raja, I did all of that...
I did scan for hw changes. Nothing happened.
I did a fresh install. Was not recognized.

Should I enable all three options in BIOS ? I think I have the one of them disable, the one about bootable devices.

Raja, I did all of that...
I did scan for hw changes. Nothing happened.
I did a fresh install. Was not recognized.

Should I enable all three options in BIOS ? I think I have the one of them disable, the one about bootable devices.

Try it, and let me know what happens..

-Raja

Any ideas?

A couple of points/questions:

1/ In the UEFI for the ICHR SATA - have you enabled "hotswap" on all ports?

2/ Have you installed Intel RST drivers? (i'm using 10.1 for plain disks + DVD-RW + briefly a disk caddy with no issues)

3/ The JMicron will show up as a standard AHCI controller, but if you aren't running RST then so will the ICHR ports. You must select the proper "standard" AHCI controller and attempt to load the JMicron drivers. I used Device Management and "Upgrade Drivers" to manually search for the directory where I unpacked the drivers. I did not just click a "setup" utility from JMicron.

4/ Have you installed the Intel INF utility? I downloaded the latest directly from Intel instead of using the Asus provided one. I believe I used this.

I ended up with my Intel SSD, WD Black FAEX and Optiarc DVD-RW working fine on my ICHR, my internal disk caddy on the Marvell (so that "safely remove" could be enabled) and my eSATA port on the JMicron is working fine also. I'm running Win7 x64 and downloaded RST direct from Intel, JMicron drivers direct from JMicron and Marvell drivers from ASUS.

Everything works exactly as expected (except that I wish ejection/"safely remove" could be enabled on the ICHR ports in the UEFI or the driver, but that's another story).

Surly73, thanx for your detailed answer.

I cannot see JM neither under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, nor under Storage controllers. Under the first section there is only the Inter ACHI controller, and under the second the Dell Perc 5/i.

Fortunately, following two of your tips, had a positive result though. I installed Intel RST drivers and enabled HotPlug on all ports. This made possible to be able to connect the drive on one of the cyan ports (ICHR) and from an external SATA on my case to connect the drive. However, there is no "remove device" action, but this is no big deal.

Raja@ASUS, I did enable all three option for JM, but I still cannot see it under device manager. :(

There won't be a safely remove option. This is well known as despite the hotplug name, the Intel drivers don't allow this to happen. The drives on the Marvell controller will have this option however.

Surly73, thanx for your detailed answer.

I cannot see JM neither under IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, nor under Storage controllers. Under the first section there is only the Inter ACHI controller, and under the second the Dell Perc 5/i.

Just so that I'm 100% clear, it makes no indication that it's a JMicron until the drivers are installed. It will appear under the standard controllers as a standard "AHCI Controller". Now that you've installed RST, the ICHR controller with show as an Intel ICH. If the JMicron is there, it should be the only "standard" controller remaining (unless you also have the Marvell enabled without drivers installed).

After drivers are successfully installed, it will move down to being listed under "Storage Controllers".

When you have the JMicron enabled in AHCI mode in the UEFI, do you see any kind of JMicron splash screen during the boot/POST process? You should, even if it says "no devices". If you don't see this, then I don't think you'll ever see it in Windows. Either you aren't configuring the UEFI correctly to enable it, or you have a mobo defect.

Fortunately, following two of your tips, had a positive result though. I installed Intel RST drivers and enabled HotPlug on all ports. This made possible to be able to connect the drive on one of the cyan ports (ICHR) and from an external SATA on my case to connect the drive. However, there is no "remove device" action, but this is no big deal.

Raja@ASUS, I did enable all three option for JM, but I still cannot see it under device manager. :(

If you want a "safely remove" option from an internal port plumbed externally, I would connect it to the Marvell controller (if you have one equipped). The Marvell drivers have a policy tab where you can tell it that you want the OS to offer "safely remove". This works fine for my caddy.

I'm not sure if you ever mentioned exactly which P8P67 you had, but I thought it was the Pro. There are already at least two eSATA ports on the JMicron (once you get it working) - are you really using that much eSATA that those two don't satisfy your requirements? If you can get out of connecting an internal port to a blackplate I'd recommend it.

When you have the JMicron enabled in AHCI mode in the UEFI, do you see any kind of JMicron splash screen during the boot/POST process? You should, even if it says "no devices". If you don't see this, then I don't think you'll ever see it in Windows. Either you aren't configuring the UEFI correctly to enable it, or you have a mobo defect.
Just ckecked it... Nothing appears in post screen... :confused:
Is there anything else I should enable in UEFI, beyond those three options under Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration >
JMB Storage Controller: Enabled
JMB Storage OPROM: Enabled
Display OptionRom: Enabled

Just ckecked it... Nothing appears in post screen... :confused:
Is there anything else I should enable in UEFI, beyond those three options under Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration >
JMB Storage Controller: Enabled
JMB Storage OPROM: Enabled
Display OptionRom: Enabled

I don't think so.... Weird... I suppose maybe you should try a full UEFI reset (with the RTC CLEAR jumper) and reset all of your options just in case. Other than that, I'd open a case with Asus commenting specifically that you don't see the JMicron splash screen during boot when it's enabled. Your JMicron might simply be busted. I just find it weird that it would be broken in a way that appears completely absent without causing any other errors during POST or boot....

I'm 95% positive that you see the splash screen even with no devices. My old mobo had a JM363 too and I know it shows. I'm pretty sure my P8P67Pro does too since I have it enabled just for my eSATA enclosure which is usually off. I'll have to triple check it tonight, though.

I'm running 1502 IIRC, which it had out of the box.

@Wizard: I was just paying attention to this morning's boot and there appear to be some inconsistencies in the way my P8P67Pro boots. For instance, sometimes I clearly get a chance to see the JMicron message, but this morning it was a very brief visible flicker right around the time of the "peep" from the speaker.

Maybe it has to do with the Dell Perc5/i that is installed... Some conflict? I cannot see JM on post because P5/i displays its message and it clears the screen...? I do not know. However I still cannot see it under Windows.

Can you pull the P5/i enough to boot or is your boot drive on it? Maybe enough to see if you see the BIOS message? Honestly I'd find it a little surprising in the year 2011, but stranger things have happened and you're running out of options.

I cannot boot without Perc... Every drive is on it, not just the boot one, however, I can pull him out just to post and see what happens.

After some time, my Perc went off... So, until I receive a new one I had the time to check the mobo.
In conclusion, it wasn't Perc's fault, JMicron was bad or damaged and I RMAed the mobo.

Today I got the new one, and works fine with or without the Perc!

Back