Official ASUS P8P67 Series Overclocking Guide and Information

is there someone who understood all the differences between the rev. 3.0 and the rev. 3.1?

I heard they changed the USB 3 controller from the NEC/Renases to their own in house ASMedia USB 3 Controller. I also heard this controller is 'worse?' in that it does not accept USB 1.0/1.1 connections, but USB 2.0 connections still work fine. No 100% confirmation on that however.

I heard they changed the USB 3 controller from the NEC/Renases to their own in house ASMedia USB 3 Controller. I also heard this controller is 'worse?' in that it does not accept USB 1.0/1.1 connections, but USB 2.0 connections still work fine. No 100% confirmation on that however.

USB 2 and 1.1 are supposed to be handled by the chipset. That's how it is with GB boards (and that's how you can enter BIOS and boot into MS DOS with a keyboard in the USB3 port).

what is the best way to restore to factory default? just optizmed default? or is there something i have to do? i remember someone mentioning it before, seem like something i have to do other than that.

Also, i am getting lag/freeze even when i am on optimized default, what might be wrong with my computer? It happens more when i do multi task ill say, like Autocad, and just surfing web, youtubing. etc

Asus P8P67 Pro
i7 2600k
Dark Knight CPU Cooler S1283v
PNY 16gb (4x4gb) 1.5v 1333mhz
HX 650
EVGA GTX 470SC

Anyone seen this problem?

Thanks.

Anyone using the Asus overclocking program that came with the board. I am using it and it keeps my 2600k at 1680mhz when idle, and cranks up to 4.43ghz under a load. Haven't had any issues yet, but wanted to know what you thought of it.

what is the best way to restore to factory default? just optizmed default? or is there something i have to do? i remember someone mentioning it before, seem like something i have to do other than that.

Also, i am getting lag/freeze even when i am on optimized default, what might be wrong with my computer? It happens more when i do multi task ill say, like Autocad, and just surfing web, youtubing. etc

Asus P8P67 Pro
i7 2600k
Dark Knight CPU Cooler S1283v
PNY 16gb (4x4gb) 1.5v 1333mhz
HX 650
EVGA GTX 470SC

Anyone seen this problem?

Thanks.

clear the CMOS via the RTC jumper on the motherboard with the power plug removed from the back of the PSU for a few minutues.

Nice guide.... i got a BSOD running 4.8Ghz while running Prime95 for about 5 minutes. The temps were reaching toward the high 80s!

Last edited:
is this acceptable temperatures? am I running too hot? (running prime95 for about 20 minutes)
46xOverClock-Temp-RunningPrime95.jpg

A little warm for 4.6 but nothing to worry about. Maybe reseat HSF/reapply TIM a few times and check temps each time.

is this acceptable temperatures? am I running too hot? (running prime95 for about 20 minutes)
46xOverClock-Temp-RunningPrime95.jpg

It's a little hot, but you are running a little bit higher than normal Vcore for that speed, so I don't think I'd be worried about it. Is that the Vcore it takes to be stable?

Looks decent for that heatsink and vcore. I get similar temps at 5 ghz and 1.4v on my Venemous-X.

Yeah I had to up the vcore to 1.385v in order to get it to be stable. At vcore 1.375, windows7 locks up (no bsod though) while running prime95 around 10 minutes. I basically following the overclocking guide on the first page of this thread. I change the cores from 48 to 46 and reduce the vcore from 1.415 to 1.375. Do I need to change the VRM value of 350 to some other value?

Yeah I had to up the vcore to 1.385v in order to get it to be stable. At vcore 1.375, windows7 locks up (no bsod though) while running prime95 around 10 minutes. I basically following the overclocking guide on the first page of this thread. I change the cores from 48 to 46 and reduce the vcore from 1.415 to 1.375. Do I need to change the VRM value of 350 to some other value?

Have you tried reducing the VCCSA a notch? It is supposed to help reduce temperatures without affecting stability. I tried it on mine and it did drop the temps a little - so maybe worth a shot at that speed. Also CPU PLL and PCH voltages - but I never tried reducing those.

Where is the VCCSA option? Oh i see it... it's currently set to "auto". I'll give this a try to night.

Have you tried reducing the VCCSA a notch? It is supposed to help reduce temperatures without affecting stability. I tried it on mine and it did drop the temps a little - so maybe worth a shot at that speed. Also CPU PLL and PCH voltages - but I never tried reducing those.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide it helped alot getting my 2500K to 4.6ghz and beyond :)

I'm using the P8P67 Pro REV3 with 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair Vengence

Temps....What temps! Under water so fully loaded running Intel Burn Test at 4.7ghz the hottest core is hovering around 60*C.... 5ghz is stable but didn't do hardcore testing as the voltage seemed kinda high to me. Temps just broke the 70*C mark on the hottest core at this speed.

My chip seems like a winner....At least to me anyways!

So far 4.7ghz is the sweet spot as far as voltage vs clocks anyways!

47ghz.png

48ghz.png

49ghz.png

50ghz.png

Last edited:
Two more things I haven't seen than touched on in this thread:

1. The early SB OC Guides all talked about raising the TDP limit. For example:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10

If optional in the BIOS, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200 Watts

I looked in that section in the BIOS, saw like 5 options and walked :) Fins it strange that it's not in here to some detail . Anyone care to elaborate ?

2. In this guide, I noticed about 7C difference between the 2500k and 2600k

http://++++++++++++++++.com/index.p...sk=view&id=730&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=8

At 4.4 GHz and all cores under 60C .... this is where I wanna be on an "everyday" OC profile. But I was looking to set 4.8 as a "gaming profile" and thought "Duh....69-79C is a bit higher than I'm comfy with, but as a "gaming profile" what do I need 8 cores for ?"

Turning off HT oughta recover me at least 7C .... Interested in getting a better understanding what and how other BIOS settings (i.e. C1E, CPU C3, CPU C6.... others ) affect HT and temps. Pointers anyone ?

My OC experience with the board has been strange. I first started off by going with what the newegg o/c asus guy did and changed all these settings and went straight for 4.5. It booted up fine.

Strange thing is I need almost 1.365 to get there stable. It was stable while doing prime95 for hours and playing games but when it would sit there idle I would sometimes come back to it with a rebooted and an 124 error. :confused:

Anyway it would happen almost every day. I would leave it and it would be rebooted or just stuck at the BSOD. I decided screw it I'm going to just default everything and start over.

I defaulted everything didnt touch a thing except multiplier. Started with 40 and worked up to 44 not touching anything, everything was default or Auto.

So I got to 44 and it booted fine and prime95 ran for 5 hrs and no errors. Went to 45 and prime95 caused my comp to reboot with the 124 error. I changed the LLC to med and tried prime95 again on 45 and it ran for about 6 hrs with no problems.
I'm running for a few days like this and I havent gotten any BSOD at all. My voltage hits 1.336 while on p95 which was lower then what i was using before.

Seems to strange that I was playing with all these settings before which wasnt even necessary to get to 4.5. I havent tried passed that yet but I'll probably stay at 4.5 for my 24/7 unless I can go up with the same voltage.

Last edited:
I haven't read all thirty pages, but the guide provided in OP seems pretty good. Has anything changed since this was posted? Or should I just follow the OP?

Thanks for the guide it helped me achieve a stable overclock at 4.7Ghz@ 1.37v with ram set to 1866 9-10-9-28 t1 1.5v... I'm using offset and LLC 20%

Prime_volts.png

Prime_Temps.png

10_Hrs_stable.png

4_7_Stable_Lin_X.png

Couple questions about core voltage.

1. What is the max core voltage that should be safely used? On the first page it seems like it was reccomended to use 1.415-1.425.
2. Should you use manual or offset?

With mine set to use offset, I set all settings according to the pics/guide from OP and seem pretty stable at 4.6 gig. I upped it to 4.8 and got through 5+ minutes of prime with no problems but under load cpu-z was reporting a cpu core voltage of ~1.56. I stopped prime and lowered multi to 46 because I was afraid 1.56 was too high??

It seems like all the settings from the guide are pretty good and I can get a pretty good overclock, but I need to figure out the best approach to the cpu core voltage...

bobn4burton, I use offset voltage set to plus 0.145 and a Load Line Calibration of 20%..

I think your best bet is to experiment with different settings, dont go to high take it steps at a time till you learn how it reacts to the changes in increases.. Your going to have to boot in to the bios and in and out of windows a few times to get it right. but once you do, OMG this thing is crazyness..

My only complaint is the boot up times are terrible, pathetic really.. Using a SATA in IDE enhanced mode150Gig 10,000 RPM velociraptor HD... Oh and the cold boot issues are really annoying, hopefully ASUS fixes this soon with a BIOS update or something.. Ill put up with it cause it feels like I have one of the fastest rigs on the planet for everyday use, I know thats not true but it is fast :)

I do Game a lot, COD4, CODmw2, COD blackOps, BFBC2, CounterStrike source, and Dirt2.. Hours on end on Maxed out settings @1920x1080 with no issues.. Also encoding movies is just sick, getting up to 660 frames in some cases!!

EDIT: This morning I turned on my machine expecting the delayed boot up, double POST when powering on from off state.. Well I'm happy to report that the issue has some how resolved it self.. :eek: I'm sorry guys I don't know if it was the resetting of the cMOS, or the enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function 'APM' setting or setting the VRM to 350.. All i can say with relative certainty is that it was one of those settings..

Last edited:
Using the auto tune, is it safe to keep it at extreme? I have a 2500k. It's fine so far on the fast setting but if i can get it the next level and keep it there safely i will.
(4356 overclock on fast and 4944 so far on extreme)

Its safe if your voltages and temps arnt outta hand... If I were you I wouldn't go above 1.4 for 24/7.. Me personally I want my chip to last for a few years so Ive kept the voltages in very respectable ranges as far as I know... Remember, smaller die size, 32nm instead of 45nm.. Give this chip too much voltage even with in safe limits as far as cooling you can fry um... Pop, no more chip no matter how cool you keep it... So be careful... Its a matter of degradation over time...

EDIT: Cold boot issue is back with a vengeance this morning.. It seems Ive fixed nothing with the suggested fixes.. Double POST when powering on from off state and after initiating the mouse and keyboard windows crashed on the start up screen.. Now this is unacceptable in my eyes, you cant be crashing my windows... ASUS, Juan, this issue needs to be resolved pretty quickly.. Ive been threw the ringer with stress tests, and gaming for hours on end with no issue at all what so ever.. Things go wrong very quickly when you leave your PC off over night and try to boot up.. What gives??

Last edited:
I used silky sean's settings from page 13 to reach 4.8Ghz.
Was stable for a few days 2hrs + Prime, 4hrs real world.
Then it started BSOd's.
Today I couldn't boot into Windows and I couldn't repair it.
Reinstalled Windows today.

I'm guessing I corrupted my Windows Install with my overclock>?

Should I try to up the voltage?

Current settings:
4.8Ghz Settings - 1.000v idle/ 1.344 - 1.368v Max Load
Idle: 30C
Load: 65C

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 48
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Enabled
Mem Freq: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
EPU Power Saving: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Contorl: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Offset Mode
CPU Offset: + 0.065
DRAM Voltage: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E, C3, C6: Enabled

I used silky sean's settings from page 13 to reach 4.8Ghz.
Was stable for a few days 2hrs + Prime, 4hrs real world.
Then it started BSOd's.
Today I couldn't boot into Windows and I couldn't repair it.
Reinstalled Windows today.

I'm guessing I corrupted my Windows Install with my overclock>?

Should I try to up the voltage?

Hmmm, your hard drive must have been doing something while is blue screened and caused it to mess up. Use the Additional Turbo Voltage setting to add a few more volts - maybe 0.040?

Hmmm, your hard drive must have been doing something while is blue screened and caused it to mess up. Use the Additional Turbo Voltage setting to add a few more volts - maybe 0.040?

Thanks for responding Silky.

I actually ended up going down to 4.6Ghz with the following settings. I noticed I wasn't getting any increase in performance past 4.6 anyways.

The only thing that's still bugging me is that my VCORE maxs out to 1.38 and I'd like to test out things with it lower. But when I change the Offset from 0.06 to anything lower, it doesn't actually lower my VCORE?

Any idea how I can lower it?

Temps:
Idle - 30C
Max - 51C

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 46
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Disabled
Mem Freq: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
EPU Power Saving: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
Phase Control: Standard
Duty Contorl: T-Probe
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Offset Mode
CPU Offset: + 0.060
DRAM Voltage: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E, C3, C6: Enabled

Thanks for responding Silky.

The only thing that's still bugging me is that my VCORE maxs out to 1.38 and I'd like to test out things with it lower. But when I change the Offset from 0.06 to anything lower, it doesn't actually lower my VCORE?

Any idea how I can lower it?

Turn LLC off and it will reduce your vcore.

If it reduces it too much, increase your offset to 0.080 or so.

I'm still a little confused with how the voltage works with all the different settings. Can someone give a quick summary explaining?

Some of my questions/observations:

1. A manual core voltage will deliver a fairly constant voltage. If you set it to 1.3V then it will always be 1.3V+. I guess depending on the other settings, it can still go a little higher during cpu load??

2. I'm not exactly sure how an offset voltage works. I assume there is some default voltage (somewhere in the 1.025V range) for each chip. Then if you set an offset, it will allow the voltage to increase that amount from default under load?? But even then, it might go higher than your offset depending on other settings?? Is that all correct?

3. Is it better to use manual or offset mode? I like offset mode because when your pc isn't loaded, the voltage goes down and seems like this would help lengthen the life of the chip. But it seems like offset mode is a little harder to narrow in on a particular voltage?

4. From early in this thread, it appears that 1.4-1.425 should be about the max safe voltage under load? Anything higher and you could potentially shorten the life of your chip?

5. Which settings affect your voltage (i.e. LLC) past what you set in BIOS? And is it better to have those settings on or off? If on, do you just need to keep playing with settings/offsets until you get the desired max voltage under load (~1.4V)??

Anyways...if anyone could share a few pointers on this whole voltage thing it would be greatly appreciated. Its the last piece of the puzzle I need to figure out. Otherwise I've gotten my OC up to about 4.8 gig so far...

I'm still a little confused with how the voltage works with all the different settings. Can someone give a quick summary explaining?

Some of my questions/observations:

1. A manual core voltage will deliver a fairly constant voltage. If you set it to 1.3V then it will always be 1.3V+. I guess depending on the other settings, it can still go a little higher during cpu load??

2. I'm not exactly sure how an offset voltage works. I assume there is some default voltage (somewhere in the 1.025V range) for each chip. Then if you set an offset, it will allow the voltage to increase that amount from default under load?? But even then, it might go higher than your offset depending on other settings?? Is that all correct?

3. Is it better to use manual or offset mode? I like offset mode because when your pc isn't loaded, the voltage goes down and seems like this would help lengthen the life of the chip. But it seems like offset mode is a little harder to narrow in on a particular voltage?

4. From early in this thread, it appears that 1.4-1.425 should be about the max safe voltage under load? Anything higher and you could potentially shorten the life of your chip?

5. Which settings affect your voltage (i.e. LLC) past what you set in BIOS? And is it better to have those settings on or off? If on, do you just need to keep playing with settings/offsets until you get the desired max voltage under load (~1.4V)??

Anyways...if anyone could share a few pointers on this whole voltage thing it would be greatly appreciated. Its the last piece of the puzzle I need to figure out. Otherwise I've gotten my OC up to about 4.8 gig so far...

im with you, i am so lost with this 1155 platform.

Yes, it'll run at whatever you set all the time, even when the chip downclocks. The voltage can go higher than what you set under load, depending on your LLC setting.

There is a default voltage for every frequency, so your offset will be added to that default voltage and it will rise and fall with the frequency. Again, LLC will add additional voltage depending on the setting.

Offset is best, if you can get it set up right because it allows the chip to down-volt when it is downclocked. Best bet is using a low setting for LLC, like Regular, and then just use trial and error to get a good setting for the offset voltage.

Seems like a pretty reasonable long-term voltage.

LLC and offset are the big ones for voltage. You'll also want EIST and the C states enabled to allow the chip to downclock when idle.

Turn LLC off and it will reduce your vcore.

If it reduces it too much, increase your offset to 0.080 or so.

So I had LLC on Regular, which apparently is 0%
I changed it to Auto.
No difference in Voltage.
Strange.

Any other options?

So I had LLC on Regular, which apparently is 0%
I changed it to Auto.
No difference in Voltage.
Strange.

Any other options?

Don't put LLC on Auto, keep it on Regular (ie OFF) If vcore is still too high, reduce your offset until it BSOD's.

Don't put LLC on Auto, keep it on Regular (ie OFF) If vcore is still too high, reduce your offset until it BSOD's.

You're a good kid silkysean. Thanks for all your help.

Running rock solid at 4.6Ghz now.
VCORE 1.000V - 3.28V
Temps 29C - 59C

I can tell that I got a good CPU because of how easy it was to overclock to 4.8 and I could probably push it to 5.0Ghz at 1.4V but the additional heat isn't worth the minimal increase in performance. Mys system is humming great at 4.6Ghz and my temps stay nice and cool.

In about 2yrs or so when my system starts lagging behind the current gen tech I'll push it to 5.0Ghz for 24/7.

Here's a pic of the system humming nicely.

33lm176.jpg

Back