Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Wanna talk about Lollipop? Wanna talk about the Material Design? Project Volta? Other features?

Make fun of the slogan, "Be together, not the same.” ?!? :)

Update Path:
Nexus - 5 and 7 (2012) will get the update in coming weeks; 4 will get it later.
HTC - within 90 days of release
Moto - In Development
OnePlus - within 90 days of release (thank you, King of Heroes)
Samsung - no official statement. Rumors say Note 4 and S5 will get in in Nov/Dec
LG - no official statement

Last edited:
Really looking forward to getting Lollipop on my Nexus 5... needs a breath of fresh air.

With that said, I'm a bit amused by "be together, not the same." trying to make the Android crowd feel individualistic... by using the same platform as the majority. It's like declaring yourself a hardcore American Idol fan. Go, go, status quo!

Was really hoping for a full feature preview from Google and a hands on. Some of these features like always listening mode for every Snapdragon 8xx chip sound awesome.

Things I'm looking forward to the most:

• "Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity. For example, continue your video chat or VoIP calls without interruption as you leave the house and switch from your home Wi-Fi back to cellular"
  • ART
  • Lower latency audio input - should tremendously improve SIP usability
  • Camera improvements such as RAW support and shooting stills at 30fps
  • 'OK Google' when the screen is off and not charging (it's no longer proprietary?)
  • Flashlight from the quick settings :D
  • Quickly setup your new phone by transferring settings (and cloud data?) via NFC

It can't come fast enough to my Nexus 5..

Yay, my lowly Moto G LTE is getting the upgrade, eventually...

Still.. :)

I'm glad we can finally turn off notifications at specific times. I can finally leave my phone facing up at night when in bed!

Many apps you can download do this

I've been relying on 3rd party apps for a few tweaks to functionality, but being stock is always so much more convenient.

Sounds stupid, but I'm looking forward to the new quick toggles for hotspot, screen rotation and flashlight.

Things I'm looking forward to the most:

• "Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity. For example, continue your video chat or VoIP calls without interruption as you leave the house and switch from your home Wi-Fi back to cellular"
  • ART
  • Lower latency audio input - should tremendously improve SIP usability
  • Camera improvements such as RAW support and shooting stills at 30fps
  • 'OK Google' when the screen is off and not charging (it's no longer proprietary?)
  • Flashlight from the quick settings :D
  • Quickly setup your new phone by transferring settings (and cloud data?) via NFC

It can't come fast enough to my Nexus 5..

A lot of those have been available in custom Roms. But I understand why some people want to remain stock.

I'm hoping some devs get the SDK built for the S5. Apparently it fixes the USB-OTG audio interface. It was always hit or miss before, but this is supposed to be real support (as promised years ago) for USB DACs. Providing they didn't bump the feature again.

That's one feature my S4 had that the S5 doesn't, ability to charge and do USB digital audio out at the same time. Samsung dropped it for whatever reason.

The final preview images are out for the N5, I'll be trying this tonight. I have the first preview on my N7, and it's ok, not mind blowing or anything. I'm mainly interested in the battery life improvements, because my N5 sucks in that regard.

Can't wait to get it for my z3! I just wish it could look better though. It still got that ugly android thing to it.

The final preview images are out for the N5, I'll be trying this tonight. I have the first preview on my N7, and it's ok, not mind blowing or anything. I'm mainly interested in the battery life improvements, because my N5 sucks in that regard.

Exactly. Nexus 5 would be perfect if Android L does indeed increase battery life by 36% +/-.

Picked up a Red 32gb N5 and waiting on Android L while I use my Oneplus. Love the OnePlus as well but prefer the size of the Nexus 5.

Android 5 for Motorola should be out soon I’d imagine. They worked with Google with Nexus 6. When Google owned them, updates always came out fast. Their UI is pretty close to Android stock meaning faster updates.

Samsung has had piss poor time with updates. Don’t be surprised if they take a while or you get nothing unless it’s a recent model.

Guess what? Most of our Spring 2015 flagships are officially out of date. Google just released Android 5.1. Thanks a lot, Google!

Guess what? Most of our Spring 2015 flagships are officially out of date. Google just released Android 5.1. Thanks a lot, Google!

holy necrobump batman.. resurrecting a 5 month old post for something utterly trivial.

You need to look up the definition of out of date....

Not to mention the definition of necrobump....

I think the reason why many OEMs are taking so long with Lollipop is that it was buggy to begin with and the OEMs didn't want to piss a bunch of people off with an unstable update (which seems pretty much inevitable regardless). A lot of Moto X (2014) owners were pretty disappointed with their update and are constantly complaining about stability and performance issues, just as Nexus owners were until at least until they patched that memory leak issue in another update.

From what I'm reading though, Lollipop on the One M8 seems pretty solid and I don't see many people complaining about it online in the (XDA) forums. So I guess I'll update mine here soon enough since Xposed and most of my modules I use have been updated for it as well. Just seems funny that as soon as all these phones start getting it, 5.1 drops. I would expect OEMs to update to 5.1 a bit faster than they took to get to 5.0 since it's a lot smaller update.

Anyone see that article that compares how lollipop affected battery life on all the flagships from last year that got it? It had the Nexus 5, One M8, G3, and a couple others, I think. It was a pretty nice review and showed some phones taking a hit in battery life in certain tasks while improving in other tasks.

I thought it was Anantech, but I'm not finding it.

Anyways, I finally updated to a stock/rooted Lollipop ROM on my M8 last night and it's pretty nice so far. I didn't expect it to be so much smoother despite reading about all the new animations. All of my Xposed modules are running good so far too, which is what I was most worried about. Hopefully I won't find some glaring issue here soon and regret updating, but most people I've seen update their M8 are happy with it from what I've read. Battery life seems unaffected so far, but I really don't leave it off the charger much at work or at home.

I have a friend with a new Nexus 5, latest stock Lollipop, struggling with visual impairment. Black text on white backgrounds really are hard on his eyes. I know we can do a global reverse colors, but that just messes up all the colors.

Is there a way to get a "white on black" theme or will we need to go to a custom ROM?

The only thing I could think of is getting the right themes and using Dolphin Browser with Night Mode.

I have a friend with a new Nexus 5, latest stock Lollipop, struggling with visual impairment. Black text on white backgrounds really are hard on his eyes. I know we can do a global reverse colors, but that just messes up all the colors.

Is there a way to get a "white on black" theme or will we need to go to a custom ROM?

I have a similar problem - I get migraines due to blinding white backgrounds. Unfortunately all the modern software companies seem to have decided on white - Android, Windows, Office, OSX all have white backgrounds, most websites do as well (which is why I'm thankful [H] has a pleasing dark theme).

IMO ICS was a perfect color scheme, why did they have to mess it up?

The ICS color scheme was great. They really should of stuck with that, it's much easier on your battery

Back