Office XP issue

Farva

Extremely [H]
One of my users is having an issue with Office XP crashing when opening it. The error she is getting is, "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications." The laptop she is using is a Dell D630 with XP SP3 and all the updates. My searching so far has said to delete just Excel10.xlb or to delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel and neither have solved this issue.

Yes, I have read that and she does have the latest service pack for Office.

So does this happen for all documents or just a specific document?

It happens with random Excel files. I'm getting the feeling Excel has some corruption and I'll have to reimage her computer.

It happens with random Excel files. I'm getting the feeling Excel has some corruption and I'll have to reimage her computer.

Reinstall office first.
And honestly I'd look at using Open Office...
Open Office is more modern than Office XP, unless you have some reason to keep it around.

Or if you're willing to spend a little money, you can get Office 2007 fairly cheap nowadays that 2010 is coming out.

Open Office is more modern than Office XP, unless you have some reason to keep it around.

Or if you're willing to spend a little money, you can get Office 2007 fairly cheap nowadays that 2010 is coming out.

Can't do that because this is company equipment.

So you don't have rights to reinstall stuff? You need to get with someone who does, then.

So you don't have rights to reinstall stuff? You need to get with someone who does, then.
In a corporate company environment, you can't just decide to install something. Besides while open office is a good alternative, in my opinion, it is not an acceptable alternative in a corporate setting.

In a corporate company environment, you can't just decide to install something. Besides while open office is a good alternative, in my opinion, it is not an acceptable alternative in a corporate setting.

If it works, it's acceptable.

And honestly if you can't takes steps necessary to try the fix suggestions I don't know what you think you can accomplish? I mean, a repair install is probably the only thing that will fix it if Excel itself is corrupted.

You have a lot to learn. Also when encountering an error in the real world it is NOT acceptable to just say hey switch to a different program.

You have a lot to learn. Also when encountering an error in the real world it is NOT acceptable to just say hey switch to a different program.

Unless you own the company, which I do not. My user is not going to be readily available until next week.

Are you completely ignoring the first bit of advice which is to do a repair install? Or are you just going to complain and try nothing?

Are you completely ignoring the first bit of advice which is to do a repair install? Or are you just going to complain and try nothing?

Uhhh I'm not the one with the problem so I guess I will keep ignoring both the helpful and non-helpful suggestions.

If it works, it's acceptable.
And then, in some companies, you'd be fired. Clearly, you don't work in the corporate world, or are in corporate IT.
a repair install is probably the only thing that will fix it if Excel itself is corrupted.
This is what I would suggest as well, and given that it is a corporate system, there may be a specific way of installing, such as from an admin share on a file server, etc.

Reinstall office first.
Open office isn't acceptable in most businesses, strictly because it's not office.

In a corporate environment, it's not about what's technically superior, but what makes the best financial sense. Most office workers you hire will have some MS Office experience. If you implement OpenOffice in your corporate environment, you are basically throwing out all of that previous experience. You will wind up with increased training and support costs for reduced productivity ( at least until the new workers are trained. Say a year ). You will face this any time a new employee is brought on.

Nevermind that OpenOffice has significant performance issues in various networks. So while yes, open office would work, it doesn't make financial sense to implement it.

And then, in some companies, you'd be fired. Clearly, you don't work in the corporate world, or are in corporate IT.
Clearly, huh?
Mmmmk. As I'll detail below, that's an assumption as well. I made one, and you made one.

Open office isn't acceptable in most businesses, strictly because it's not office
100% agree. But we really have no idea what kind of corporate environment it is, do we?
Is there an IT Department? I'd assume so because of the apparent inability to try any fixes. In which case the question then becomes why the hell isn't IT Dealing with this issue if the OP doesn't have the means to actually fix the problem? That's an assumption as well, being OP hasn't answered some questions.
Is it a small company in which no IT Department exists, and OP just doesn't want to mess with fudging "company software"??? Or that the user that's gone is the only one with admin rights?
Who knows. Assumptions on both sides.

Clearly, huh?
Mmmmk. As I'll detail below, that's an assumption as well. I made one, and you made one.
I'm usually the first person to point out an assumption, but in some cases, the assumption is blatantly obvious. No one with a background of corporate IT would suggest installing a non-approved productivity suite, given the amount of shared docs that are used back and forth. If the company standard is to use Office XP, than that's what is to be used. If our assumptions are wrong, and you do understand corporate IT, then you'd see how foolish of a suggestion that was, laugh it off, and move along. Yes, we made an assumption...but you could either prove us right, or realize how far off-base the suggestion was...up to you.

By the way, my company has only 30 employees, and an entire staff of one for I.T, yet we have standards, policies, and rules that all employees follow.

I'm usually the first person to point out an assumption, but in some cases, the assumption is blatantly obvious. No one with a background of corporate IT would suggest installing a non-approved productivity suite, given the amount of shared docs that are used back and forth. If the company standard is to use Office XP, than that's what is to be used. If our assumptions are wrong, and you do understand corporate IT, then you'd see how foolish of a suggestion that was, laugh it off, and move along. Yes, we made an assumption...but you could either prove us right, or realize how far off-base the suggestion was...up to you.

By the way, my company has only 30 employees, and an entire staff of one for I.T, yet we have standards, policies, and rules that all employees follow.

I love how you guys signal out the suggestion of Open Office when in the same breath I also suggested 2007. I left the decision up to the OP, which then promptly refused all suggestions, including a repair of Office XP.

I was hesitant to post because this seems to have started a flame war, BUT, would the random files that she is having problems be excel files that were created in Office 07? I know there was an compatibility pack for office 03 to be able to properly open office 07 documents. I do not recall there being a compatibility pack for office XP. I may be way off base, but it is a possibility.

Fish :cool:

I was hesitant to post because this seems to have started a flame war, BUT, would the random files that she is having problems be excel files that were created in Office 07? I know there was an compatibility pack for office 03 to be able to properly open office 07 documents. I do not recall there being a compatibility pack for office XP. I may be way off base, but it is a possibility.

Actually, there is a compatibility pack for XP as well.

That is not the issue as these are all .xls files.

Back